• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

Outside of Abyssea, any place would be good. A Fields or Grounds of Valor tome would be pretty helpful because they have the buffs. Grounds has the automatic page refresh as well so.

Seigyoku

Other than Abyssea where else can i level post 75? I just came back so I'm still accumulating stones, trying to find something to do until I have a decent buffer of stones.

I didn't step inside Aby on my first job till I was like 82 or something like that. Did a ton of leveling with Besieged and Campaign, especially when they upped the exp/IS/AN for them.

If only they'd up my CP!!!! I could leave Windy!

Azuran

Banned
Other than Abyssea where else can i level post 75? I just came back so I'm still accumulating stones, trying to find something to do until I have a decent buffer of stones.

Bostaunieux Oubliette.

Grab page 4 and go join the party killing leeches. You can level all the way to 99 there if you want.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Don't worry too much about accumulating stones for abyssea. If your in an halfway decent exp party, you'll gain tons of time, and if your abyssea time is over 120 min when you leave, you will keep that time for next visit to abyssea, and noot have to use any stones.

ZetaEpyon

Don't worry too much about accumulating stones for abyssea. If your in an halfway decent exp party, you'll gain tons of time, and if your abyssea time is over 120 min when you leave, you will keep that time for next visit to abyssea, and noot have to use any stones.

Agreed.
If this is a concern, you can try to join a group that's already in progress. That way, they'll already likely be getting time extension chests, and you won't need to worry about getting to that point before your visitant time runs out.

For what it's worth, I've had more than a full day of visitant time built up from an exp alliance before.

bardia

All right cool thanks guys, been doing the leeches while I seek for a PT. My brother is a bit of an elitist and said I'll be useless till he helps me get atmas which is why I was a bit worried. I've only been inside abyssea once so I'm still trying to get the hang of, a lot of things are still foreign to me

It's more for NOT xping, and doing things like getting the essential KI's. The BG wiki guide I linked in the OP has a nice list of "what you need" in order to really participate without being "that guy".

creid

Started playing this very briefly last fall but was put off by the complete lack of quest info in-game, the glacial walking speed and the time required by the little holiday quests I was logging in for. All of the hubbub in this thread and my recent acquisition of a Destrier Beret got me to pick it back up again.

I've been getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of logging in to get some free "mystery box" items and auctioning them off for gil. It's allowed me to afford a little bit better equipment from the AH, since after my first trip to Gusgen my equipment was quite out of date. The slow movement speed still drives me nuts, but the beret seems to have sped me up a little.

I started playing with the intent to go through the "main story" and maybe an expansion or two, but before I can do any of that I really need to:
- get a skull so I can finally unlock my subjob
- get to Jueno for the first time and unlock all the inventory expansions (which looks like a pain in the ass)
- level up high enough to not need to drag other people along on the story quests, while still retaining some amount of fun

Do I have any relatively easy avenues to increase my movement speed and/or ability to teleport around?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
There's a lot of nifty shortcut keys in the game. <3

Did you know that Control L is linkshell chat? Or that you can propose a vote with /propose?

Also, for those of you having targeting issues in Alliances, you can make "/target <bt>" into a macro, and it'll automatically select a mob that your party or alliance is in combat with. :D

I learned /l so early, and used it so often, that whenever I happen to start a new mmorpg, I instinctively do /l when typing a message....

...it never does anything though...

RIP: /L

hgplayer1

Started playing this very briefly last fall but was put off by the complete lack of quest info in-game, the glacial walking speed and the time required by the little holiday quests I was logging in for. All of the hubbub in this thread and my recent acquisition of a Destrier Beret got me to pick it back up again.

I've been getting a surprising amount of enjoyment out of logging in to get some free "mystery box" items and auctioning them off for gil. It's allowed me to afford a little bit better equipment from the AH, since after my first trip to Gusgen my equipment was quite out of date. The slow movement speed still drives me nuts, but the beret seems to have sped me up a little.

I started playing with the intent to go through the "main story" and maybe an expansion or two, but before I can do any of that I really need to:
- get a skull so I can finally unlock my subjob
- get to Jueno for the first time and unlock all the inventory expansions (which looks like a pain in the ass)
- level up high enough to not need to drag other people along on the story quests, while still retaining some amount of fun

Do I have any relatively easy avenues to increase my movement speed and/or ability to teleport around?

You can pick up some boots through campaigns in the wotg areas. I always have a pair in my inventory.

Also watch out for swift shoes kupower. This gives you the quickened effect after resting.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's more for NOT xping, and doing things like getting the essential KI's. The BG wiki guide I linked in the OP has a nice list of "what you need" in order to really participate without being "that guy".

Ah. that guide is fantastic, and really does let you know what you need.

Piecake

Well, I recently downloaded the 14 day free trial, and while nostalgia's nice and all (had a THF a long long time ago), its pretty shocking how much walking you do in this game and how combat is basically auto-attack (at least in early levels)

Question though, do gear drops actually exist? I dont think Ive gotten any gear drops off of mobs and ive killed a crap load of mobs. Im level 11 and Im still using my starter stuff, lol. I can't access the AH so my gear options are rather limited, and the stuff they sell in the stores seem crappy and stupidly expensive

Buttons

Cross-posting from the pickup thread, here is the artbook. :D

Final Fantasy XI 10th Anniversary artbook. It's so amazing, It's almost entirely filled with art and concept designs.

cimg3668utl99.jpg

cimg3671jsar4.jpg

cimg367220a4e.jpg

cimg367337l9n.jpg

cimg3674o3le1.jpg

cimg3675rwyx9.jpg

cimg3676gox13.jpg

Kokonoe

Banned
We must get scans for epic wallpaper.

Does the book contain lore? I know people on the forums got Camate to respond and who which said they'd look into releasing a book like that. That was a while back, though.

Since Karaha-Baruha is in that picture, I got reminded of how I liked the story and background of the character until I realized that
himself from an alternate dimension comes and warns him and tag teams with him instead. I felt it kinda tarnished the character in a way, and it would have been a lot better if he himself alone saved Windurst instead of alternate dimension stuff.

Bilix

Finally got access to Sky last night. Didn't realize the RotZ missions were so quick to go through. I spent a ton of tabs on repatriation doing them, so if anyone wants to do done Grounds Tome partying, let me know.

Kokonoe

Banned
Finally got access to Sky last night. Didn't realize the RotZ missions were so quick to go through. I spent a ton of tabs on repatriation doing them, so if anyone wants to do done Grounds Tome partying, let me know.

I need to unlock Sky already. Least it's good to know it's not so bad doing as such. I completed Treasures of Aht Urghan in a week, but that was due to all the Japanese midnight stuff (there's a lot).

Lemme know when you get your item to do Divine Might. We can set something up.

Joei

Offhand, does anyone know what auction houses are linked? I was trying to find some stuff in Sandy and couldn't find what I wanted so I did the warp to Whitegate to check the AH there, and it's the same one :/

Kokonoe

Banned
Offhand, does anyone know what auction houses are linked? I was trying to find some stuff in Sandy and couldn't find what I wanted so I did the warp to Whitegate to check the AH there, and it's the same one :/

There was an update a while back that linked all the Auction Houses in one to create Voltron Defender of the Universe.

Joei

There was an update a while back that linked all the Auction Houses in one to create Voltron Defender of the Universe.

Haha, awesome. I just wonder why there wasn't that much stuff available for my character regarding some armor choices. The stuff in the AH was rather depleted, although it could be because it's all low level stuff, as in like 10-20 for the items I was looking for.

Also, I'm only L10, but I was doing searches for people in the 14+ range, around when I figure I'd start wanting to party, and there is like no one 14-20 playing :/. Hell, I've done searches for 20-50 and I don't see many playing. Do you still need full parties pre-75 to level up or can you get by with a group of 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever? While I do think the game should have been more solo and small party friendly, I don't want to solo up to 75, lol. I did enjoy the multi-player aspect of the game.

Also, I'm on Ragnarok, but I doubt if this kind of thing would be server specific.

Kokonoe

Banned
Haha, awesome. I just wonder why there wasn't that much stuff available for my character regarding some armor choices. The stuff in the AH was rather depleted, although it could be because it's all low level stuff, as in like 10-20 for the items I was looking for.

Also, I'm only L10, but I was doing searches for people in the 14+ range, around when I figure I'd start wanting to party, and there is like no one 14-20 playing :/. Hell, I've done searches for 20-50 and I don't see many playing. Do you still need full parties pre-75 to level up or can you get by with a group of 2 or 3 or 4 or whatever? While I do think the game should have been more solo and small party friendly, I don't want to solo up to 75, lol. I did enjoy the multi-player aspect of the game.

Also, I'm on Ragnarok, but I doubt if this kind of thing would be server specific.

I'm not sure how popular Ragnarok is, you could do a /sea all and see how many players are currently on.

From levels 12-30 go to the Gusgen Mines in Konschat Highlands for Alliance Fields of Valor partying.

From levels 30-50 go to the Crawlers Nest in Rolanberry Fields for the same.

Parties in this are pretty casual now, you walk up in the place and see people killing things and either sit there with your party flag on, or /shout {Any vacancies?} and someone will invite you when there's a spot. It's pretty much a murder fest and very simplified compared to how it use to be.

You also can leave when you want cause it's an alliance of three parties unless things are slow. When you hit max level is when you can start doing low man parties, exp requires parties but it's not difficult at all to get into a party like it use to be. You can be any job now, it doesn't matter what you are for EXP.

Joei

I'm not sure how popular Ragnarok is, you could do a /sea all and see how many players are currently on.

From levels 12-30 go to the Gusgen Mines in Konschat Highlands for Alliance Fields of Valor partying.

From levels 30-50 go to the Crawlers Nest in Rolanberry Fields for the same.

Parties in this are pretty casual now, you walk up in the place and see people killing things and either sit there with your party flag on, or /shout {Any vacancies?} and someone will invite you when there's a spot. It's pretty much a murder fest and very simplified compared to how it use to be.

You also can leave when you want cause it's an alliance of three parties unless things are slow. When you hit max level is when you can start doing low man parties, exp requires parties but it's not difficult at all to get into a party like it use to be. You can be any job now, it doesn't matter what you are for EXP.

Cool thanks. This kind of thing should be in the OP, unless it's linked and I didn't click on it, lol I'm hoping it'll be easy to get in groups.

Also, they added the warping from Sandy to Whitegate, is there easy ways to get from Sandy to Bastok or Windy, Jeuno, etc.? Other than the standard Airship or tele-choco.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Cool thanks. This kind of thing should be in the OP, unless it's linked and I didn't click on it, lol I'm hoping it'll be easy to get in groups.

Also, they added the warping from Sandy to Whitegate, is there easy ways to get from Sandy to Bastok or Windy, Jeuno, etc.? Other than the standard Airship or tele-choco.

I often used Outpost teleport.

Bilix

There's a couple other ways. You can start Voidwatch with the 3 nations which will give you warps right outside of those nations. You can also skill up Synergy and make warp earrings to pretty much any major town. There's also a Kupower that will let you warp between the 3 capitals, but it's not up all the time.

Joei

There's a couple other ways. You can start Voidwatch with the 3 nations which will give you warps right outside of those nations. You can also skill up Synergy and make warp earrings to pretty much any major town. There's also a Kupower that will let you warp between the 3 capitals, but it's not up all the time.

Thanks. I'll look into starting Voidwatch with my Bard. It's 75 so it should at least let me get started. Will I have to do any battles or anything or is just quest related stuff?

Bilix

You just need to talk to the right person for a key item. It costs 1000 cruor to warp so you'll have to have done some abyssea to get that.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They need to adjust the requirements for Relic and Mythic weapons. They are ridiculous.

Well they can't turn around and make Relic more difficult to obtain now that they opened the floodgates, but they do need to adjust Mythic requirements. One stage of the Mythic quest line takes almost twice as much "currency" as the entire relic line. Plus Mythic quest requires a ton of other stuff, including 6 months+ of Einherjar runs, and months of Nyzul runs.

B.K.

Well they can't turn around and make Relic more difficult to obtain now that they opened the floodgates, but they do need to adjust Mythic requirements.

I didn't mean they need to make it harder. They need to make it easier to get them. Right now, they sound almost impossible to get, just from reading the wiki.

Jijidasu

Cross-posting from the pickup thread, here is the artbook. :D

Final Fantasy XI 10th Anniversary artbook. It's so amazing, It's almost entirely filled with art and concept designs.

Looks so good!

I still need to go pick mine up from 7/11. I'll try grab it today when the heat won't suck the life out of me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I didn't mean they need to make it harder. They need to make it easier to get them. Right now, they sound almost impossible to get, just from reading the wiki.

Relics are pretty easy to get now. With the reduction of Dynamis entry requirements, and higher levels, two or three people of correct job distribution could farm a relic in probably just over 2 months. The Vandiel census 4 or 5 years ago, had maybe a few dozen relics per server. The huge surge in relics the past year has been because of the new Dynamis design.

Mythic is still BS
Kill most the major HNM's in ToAUa areas.
Do every assault mission twice
Earn enough einherjar currency, equivalent to about 6+ months of twice a week runs
Earn enough Nyzul currency equivalent to about 2 months of daily runs (and you could not do this at the same time as the assult runs)
30,000 alexandrite, of which you can obtain maybe 100 on average per nyzul or Salvage run. (entire relic line requires about 17k of various currency, with a good Dyamis set up netting ~400 per run)
Complete all tiers of the ZNM monster line. (this is really he only think they've made easier, due to the increase in Zeni pictures)

Leunam

Most of you guys are on Sylph? I'm reactivating after not playing for years, curious to see how everything has changed.

Leunam

Yep, saw it in the OP and that's why I figured most of you guys were on there.

I'd jump on later but I'm getting an error (POL-1158). Trying to fix it right now.

Kokonoe

Banned
5dfIH.png

Does anyone know what specifically that peak time is on that image? I'm actually curious myself to know what is the most popular server, so if I know what time to check, I'll start checking every single server with /sea all and see how it is.

We only have vague information like this, that says Asura has most characters and transactions, but not the highest active players.

Kokonoe

Banned
Slayed 3 Serpopard Ishtar in the last few hours. Maybe I actually have a shot at making an Empyrean(Almace) after all.

Leunam

Alright, might jump on tonight with a new character now that everything is updated. The last time I played was shortly after the Aht Urghan expansion was released. I actually had a decent level 30 something character, some advance jobs, and an airship pass but that was years ago. :(

Thinking about starting as a Monk again, getting that to 18, level Warrior, then maybe focus on Dark Knight. Was planning on starting in Bastok and doing Alchemy for my trade.

Anyone have any advice for someone who knows the basics but hasn't played since the ToAU expansion? Thanks.

Edit: Oh crap, there's a returning player guide in the OP, guess I need to read that first.

Alright, might jump on tonight with a new character now that everything is updated. The last time I played was shortly after the Aht Urghan expansion was released. I actually had a decent level 30 something character, some advance jobs, and an airship pass but that was years ago. :(

Thinking about starting as a Monk again, getting that to 18, level Warrior, then maybe focus on Dark Knight. Was planning on starting in Bastok and doing Alchemy for my trade.

Anyone have any advice for someone who knows the basics but hasn't played since the ToAU expansion? Thanks.

Edit: Oh crap, there's a returning player guide in the OP, guess I need to read that first.

That guide is fantastic and Byrth is one of BG's largest contributors of awesome information. It's only going to get more comprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom