• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaping

Neo Member
progress:

So I'm just playing the game and getting the subjobs, when's the best time to get Red for summoner ? I've already got the other 6 without actually looking for it.

Also, I've just got the dark knight quest and will be doing the 100 kills

Do you mean getting fire weather? Fire weather is unfortunately problematic. It occasionally pops up for brief periods of time in altepa, terrigan, the elshimo jungles and valkurm. Most common during the summer months of vana'diel. Weather report npcs tend to not mention it most of the time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
progress:

So I'm just playing the game and getting the subjobs, when's the best time to get Red for summoner ? I've already got the other 6 without actually looking for it.

Also, I've just got the dark knight quest and will be doing the 100 kills

Lemme know how that goes. I'll be doing that soon; three levels away from sub-jobs.

The job sounds fun, but the Scythe delay is awful.

ZetaEpyon

Lemme know how that goes. I'll be doing that soon; three levels away from sub-jobs.

The job sounds fun, but the Scythe delay is awful.

It was easy but tedious when I did it way back whenever. I'm sure it's probably largely the same now.

Tomat

The delay is still a problem but if for whatever reason you don't one-shot mobs, refresh buffs from books can make subbing BLM worthwhile.

That's the issue for me, I probably need to upgrade my scythe (using a level 1 scythe at level 15). Not sure if being a DRK makes the scythe better or not, but maybe I shouldn't be using one as a warrior? Picked it because I knew I'd be going DRK so I figured I'd start skilling the weapon up early.

That's the issue for me, I probably need to upgrade my scythe (using a level 1 scythe at level 15). Not sure if being a DRK makes the scythe better or not, but maybe I shouldn't be using one as a warrior? Picked it because I knew I'd be going DRK so I figured I'd start skilling the weapon up early.

I only ever leveled DRK as a sub but I used a great sword because the delay is a bit shorter and the extra damage vs delay of a scythe wasn't causing me to kill in any less hits than using a GS. As a warrior you typically want to level using a great axe or a 1-handed axe until you get a decent grip. If you really want to prep for leveling DRK, GS might be a decent option as WAR. Both GS and scythe are good weapons for DRK. Scythe will beat GS in the end for a DRK though.

Loona

progress:

It's more of a question of place than time, though fire weather is annoyingly rare even in the places that support it.
Iirc one of those places is Valkurm dunes thoigh, so if your WAR's high enough, maybe go get the 100 kills there while waiting for fire weather, preferably close to Selbina or another zone line?

isual

well, since I don't have rune fencer, I'll probably use Paladin with the great sword to get the kills

It's more of a question of place than time, though fire weather is annoyingly rare even in the places that support it.
Iirc one of those places is Valkurm dunes thoigh, so if your WAR's high enough, maybe go get the 100 kills there while waiting for fire weather, preferably close to Selbina or another zone line?

warrior is only 31. Paladin is still 1. would do if high levelled enough

Loona

well, since I don't have rune fencer, I'll probably use Paladin with the great sword to get the kills

warrior is only 31. Paladin is still 1. would do if high levelled enough

I did my DRK quest on WAR with plenty of kills including a NM at Konchtat, at 31 you should be fine in the dunes, especially if you stick to the lizards by the southern zone line, that's where people usually started levelling parties at level 10, and left the dunes altogether at 20.

Caj814

tried doing feast of swords event a couple times.

1st Food
2nd Kabuto furniture
3rd MITHRA SAM TELEPORTS OUT OF NOWHERE AND 1 SHOTS ME. After getting an armor down from 100% to 50%

I wonder how many times I need to do this to get an All Jobs GKat >_<

isual

It'll have to be the dunes then. Sword cannot be equipped by paladins.

damn that delay attack on gs is longggggg

Tomat

*edit*
nvm, I get it now. Sub jobs at 18, advanced jobs at 30.

BOOOOOO, MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN RUINED

Loona

Yep, level 30 to flag all job quests, but from then on you can do the quests as any other job.

It'll have to be the dunes then. Sword cannot be equipped by paladins.

damn that delay attack on gs is longggggg

Go WAR/MNK and you'll get a few more attacks in from counters that add to WAR's own double attack trait. It's what I did, at least.

isual

Yep, level 30 to flag all job quests, but from then on you can do the quests as any other job.

Go WAR/MNK and you'll get a few more attacks in from counters that add to WAR's own double attack trait. It's what I did, at least.

went dnc for the healing sub

Jayhawk

First time posting in this thread. I am on the Ragnarok server. Those new weapons have made me super salty. I have a stage 3 relic great sword, 54 One Hundred Byne Bills, and 56 Montiont Silverpieces right now... and now the best thing for me to do is just wait with this crap and pray that they buff 99 REM weapons to match the new weapons`power.

Aumann

I used to play this game back before WotG was released. My character was banned after I had decided to quit and sell all my items and give away the gil to LS members. I tried calling Playonline customer service to check if anything at all could be done to retrieve my lvl 75 character. I was told to mail a letter to Carl Hidalgo, the accounts administrator, and explain to him why my character's ban should be lifted. Have any of you had any experience with this? Am I basically SoL? Is there any hope? I would love to get back into FFXI what with all the new content since ToAU but cannot fathom starting from scratch.

Ixian

First time posting in this thread. I am on the Ragnarok server. Those new weapons have made me super salty. I have a stage 3 relic great sword, 54 One Hundred Byne Bills, and 56 Montiont Silverpieces right now... and now the best thing for me to do is just wait with this crap and pray that they buff 99 REM weapons to match the new weapons`power.
Based on the dev posts I probably wouldn't count on that.

Tomat

Took two hours to get from Windurst to Bastok. Longest video game walk/boatride ever.

how does food exactly work ?

Food consumption is basically just temporary stat boosts of various kinds, depending on the item of food. Some can only be crafted while some can be bought at NPC vendors. Food tends to last anywhere from 30 mins (most foods) to 1 hour (high-quality foods) or some specialty foods can last up to 4 hours. Food effects also wear off if you get KO'd.

Here's a link to info for skill up specific foods. They can be crafted and purchased on the AH but tend to be a bit pricey.

Loona

Took two hours to get from Windurst to Bastok. Longest video game walk/boatride ever.

When I started playing years ago a frind walked me from Bastok to Windurst, I was still level 6 then - it felt so cool to see so much of the world in one go back then, with little things along the way that stuck in my mind like him stopping to raise people in the dunes and use emotes along the way, and all those huge dragon skeletons in Tahrongi canyon.

The funny thing was we did it because he couldn't find the Bastok NPC from which to collect some items from having gotten me some friend code or whatever it was back when I decided to try the game.

isual

today's progress:

Got dark knight, yet shit, I realized weapon skill kills DO NOT count by the time I reached beadeaux (cutscene did not appear), so I had to do another 80 or so just to be safe.

FINALLY beat maat ! horry shiett. that battle was fast. Samurai gecko helped a LOT; decent gear, a strength potion, oppo necklace to 100 TP, and 1 use of meditation for pre-battle.

trained at the boyahda tree till 225 which took quite a while over 2 days.

Abilities used: hasso, third eye with seigan, sekkanoki and finally konzen ittai.

Battle:
attacked,
gekko 464 damage,
gekko 597 damage,
regular attack 89 dmg,
regular attack 89 dmg,
meikyo shisui,
gekko 837 damage,
gekko 564 damage.
victory

I had 52 hp left.

Amneisac

Oops, stupid double post.

So anyways, Square was amazingly awesome with customer support and let me deactivate the new account I created with my SoA:UC key and apply it to my existing account. They even gave me new keys for a Chocobo Shirt and Destrier Berert. I was very surprised they helped me out like this, but very happy they did!

Just wanted to spread the good word about SE support! I even called on the phone and got to a live person in about 2 minutes, I totally didn't expect that.

Midou

So I had some questions about getting RSE gear.

So

1) Get Jeuno Reputation 3
2) Get The Goblin Tailor quest
3) Wait for your race/gender combination's week

Now for the part I'm less sure about:
4) Go to the specific area, and then, does it just appear from any brown chest if you have the quest active? (I mean, I assume it isn't guaranteed, but is that how you get it?)
5) Can you run back and fourth between Guttrix and the area and try to get a chest in a single week, is it possible to get the whole set in one vana'diel week, or is it one piece per time when it is your race/gender's week?

I see according to: pyogenes

May 3rd will be Taru Male, and it says for area Gusgen mines, would I just go there after getting The Goblin Tailor quest any time that day and just kill stuff until I get a chest?

Loona

So I had some questions about getting RSE gear.

So

1) Get Jeuno Reputation 3
2) Get The Goblin Tailor quest
3) Wait for your race/gender combination's week

Now for the part I'm less sure about:
4) Go to the specific area, and then, does it just appear from any brown chest if you have the quest active? (I mean, I assume it isn't guaranteed, but is that how you get it?)
5) Can you run back and fourth between Guttrix and the area and try to get a chest in a single week, is it possible to get the whole set in one vana'diel week, or is it one piece per time when it is your race/gender's week?

I see according to: pyogenes

May 3rd will be Taru Male, and it says for area Gusgen mines, would I just go there after getting The Goblin Tailor quest any time that day and just kill stuff until I get a chest?

Those quests are independent of killed mobs - "native" chests and coffers in dungeons are different from the ones that pop from defeated mobs.

Midou

Those quests are independent of killed mobs - "native" chests and coffers in dungeons are different from the ones that pop from defeated mobs.

How would I go about finding them then? Is there a designated spot that kind of stuff appears in?

Loona

How would I go about finding them then? Is there a designated spot that kind of stuff appears in?

The wiki pages for the zones have maps the point out the possible locations, usually near the link to "Treasure Chest/Coffer Key".

B.K.

I got to Adoulin and did the first few missions. I'll try to unlock Geomancer and Rune Fencer tomorrow. I need Balyd to buy maps.

Alboreo

Welp, I decided to bite the bullet and purchased the game. Geez, I think this is the third time I'll be starting fresh on FFXI. Oh well. I'm on Sylph, so I'll be trying to get a LS invite soon. My character's name is Alboreo. :D

Busy night last night. Got word that a wildskeeper reive was being organized late last week, and that I had until last night to farm 100k Bayld. Made my goal on Wednesday night, super late, but it was worth it. Got access to the fight and took down Colkhab. Got Xux hat!

The fight took about an hour, I was on sch, nuking. She gets a really annoying blink shield that seems to be up most the fight. I'm not sure if it's possible to take it down, but AoE's did nothing. Single target nukes were more and more useless as the fight went on. I had to switch to adds in order to make sure I got enough points to get an item. Got about 11k bayld from the fight, but others got more.

Immediately after the fight, there was a shout for delve, so I figured fuck it, why not?

Delve is tough, but really fun. The shout group was really well geared, including aegis/ochain plds etc, and some people with nakuaal gear. Things went fairly smoothly, we successfully killed the scorpion NM in Ceizak, and got the Waomura NM down to about 10% before timing out on a second attempt.

The system itself is super fair. There are 5 NMs, the first 3 drop the same KI, the second 2 drop another KI, and the mega boss drops a final KI. Each give access to buy the zone specific drops including accessories and gear from the new sets, and weapons. T1-3 are for gear/accessories. T4-5 are for weapons. Items cost anywhere from 8k to 30k "menace plasm" points. Monsters drop "airylixirs" for upgrading items. All of the direct drops from the NMs are purchasable with points (including airylixirs). It's like the best parts of old dynamis and einherjar combined (Imagine if you got points for every kill in dynamis and could use the points to buy ancient currency, and your desired relic pieces, in addition to the direct drops. That's what this system is like).

The fights are tough, the NM's all have some kind of damage reduction or enfeebling mechanics that people are trying to figure out.

For example the scorpion has a massive range AoE stomp, but you can make it do zero damage if you keep him enfeebled. The Waomura has very high -dt, but you can bring it down by forcing him to use exhuviation, which heals him (we did this 10 times, but apparently it takes about 15 to fully remove). I am really REALLY excited by these fight mechanics, and I look forward to seeing more like this.

Loona

Took a crack at delve last night as well, in Foret. That crab NM was incredibly evasive, but maybe I'm still undergeared to hit it reliably - ended up having to swap some of my haste gear for accuracy pieces... still, died quite a few times from its AoEs.
We were supposed to do the tier 2 NM afterwards, but the tier 3 got popped instead for whatever reason - the major complaint with that one was its enspells, and apparently it kept changing its element - I wonder if it's the kind of thing rune fencers were meant to tank...

Didn't know Wildskeeper reives could give up to thousands of bayld, that should come in handy. I still need almost 30k for this weekend's scheduled fight, any tips to optimize the use of time when there's no reives party organized?

I was kinda hoping delve gave some bayld to help out, but no such luck, but at least getting those fights done should help with gear aquisition, my body piece is still the Crystalline Prophecy level 75 body piece...

I haven't played this in years...Have they tuned the game to make it more solo-friendly? I know it's probably blasphemy, but I really liked this world, but hated the 'commitment' of partying up....especially when people would get pissed if you had to leave immediately without finding a replacement.

Leunam

Got updated and logged in. Won't be getting home until around 10 PM my time but I'm ready to go tomorrow. First order of business is completing the final limit break then bringing my PLD up to 99.

Loona

I haven't played this in years...Have they tuned the game to make it more solo-friendly? I know it's probably blasphemy, but I really liked this world, but hated the 'commitment' of partying up....especially when people would get pissed if you had to leave immediately without finding a replacement.

Levelling nowadays is usually done in alliances, with the EXP coming less from individual mobs and more from the bonuses from taking down certain numbers of them, so individual contributions aren't as heavily felt as in classic 6-person parties.

With the raised level cap, a lot more things became soloable - although higher-level mobs have been placed in some parts of dungeons that used to be rather low, like Dangruf Wadi or Ordelle's Caves, and even some that were already high enough, like the Boyhada Tree.

Still, with the removal of level caps from some fights and areas, ways to cross Garlaige Citadel and Quicksands Cave solo, the game's older content is more soloable than it used to be.
And with recent content clearly pushing towards a new focal point of gear progression, I figure some more obstacles might get removed from older content (I'm expecting solo entry in assault and some way to solo traverse Eldieme Necropolis within the year SE... well, at least hoping...).

Neverfade

So, I was fooling around with my Square accounts and was thinking of checking this out again.

My problem is, I haven't touched FFXI since about 2004, and I don't remember my PlayOnline ID, which the site says is 4 letters and 4 numbers -- that doesn't ring a bell. Is there any way to recover that account these days?

Tomat

Levelling nowadays is usually done in alliances, with the EXP coming less from individual mobs and more from the bonuses from taking down certain numbers of them, so individual contributions aren't as heavily felt as in classic 6-person parties.

With the raised level cap, a lot more things became soloable - although higher-level mobs have been placed in some parts of dungeons that used to be rather low, like Dangruf Wadi or Ordelle's Caves, and even some that were already high enough, like the Boyhada Tree.

Still, with the removal of level caps from some fights and areas, ways to cross Garlaige Citadel and Quicksands Cave solo, the game's older content is more soloable than it used to be.
And with recent content clearly pushing towards a new focal point of gear progression, I figure some more obstacles might get removed from older content (I'm expecting solo entry in assault and some way to solo traverse Eldieme Necropolis within the year SE... well, at least hoping...).

Is an alliance the same thing as a party or is it something different? I need to get into Gusgen Mines to level but I'm not sure how those parties work. Is it the same as farming/grinding Field Manual stuff?

Kientin

It's basically 2-3 parties grouped together. Also yeah it's a little like Fields of Valor, the books in dungeons are called Grounds of Valor which is a lot like Fields. There are some additional bonuses though, after every page the amount of exp per page that you get increases up to a certain amount. You also usually get a certain buff after every page that keeps stacking and lasts until you leave the area. A couple examples of these buffs are attack bonuses, increased treasure casket drops, and increased skill up rates. These books have a few more field support options like haste.

You probably knew about the grounds stuff, but yeah you are just doing that with tons of people and just getting exp from the pages.

Loona

Is an alliance the same thing as a party or is it something different? I need to get into Gusgen Mines to level but I'm not sure how those parties work. Is it the same as farming/grinding Field Manual stuff?

An alliance basically consists on up to 3 parties united - and yeah, they they those books together.

Tomat

Sounds pretty hard to screw up, which is what I was worried about. Gonna hop into one later. Thanks you two.

isual

I can't change my credit card to a different one via payments. Dafuq ?

nvm. Got it changed. such a hassle.

Progress:

samurai, dancer, and monk at 75 already. Also, I have the materials for limit break 7 (merits included)

DigitalVeil

Neo Member
Hey guys, I'm going to be returning to FFXI fairly soon (in about two weeks or so) and I had a quick question for you all.

I see that the main server that you all are playing on is Sylph, correct? How active is the LS that you guys have? I'm originally from Bahamut but if you guys are active and doing stuff I'll gladly world transfer over. The LS I was apart of in the latter has pretty much disbanded, so if I was going to start over, I figured I might as well do it with you guys.

For reference, I have a 99 RDM, PLD, and SAM but I'm planning on maining RUN. I do plan on getting these classes equally geared and ready to go though, since I like playing all of them (except I haven't tried RUN, haha). I'm a fairly newschool player who started at the tail end of Abyssea, but before VW and since I made the poor choice of not really digging classes that people desired (like whm, war, blk, sch, etc.) , I wasn't really able to get in on too many parties and get all geared up. Hopefully, I'll be able to change that with you all.

Sorry I rambled a lot, but I just wanna make sure that I'll have a home with you guys; I absolutely adore this game and just want to enjoy it with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom