• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midou

For what it's worth, once you hit 99, the only real reasons to /whm on rdm is tele spells and stona. Unless you really need either of those, /sch will give you everything else /whm does and other stuff as well.

Ah, I will take note of that. I have to say I never researched most of the classes past the first few added.

Is scholar quest do-able without having progressed in any nation quests or story stuff?

Aeana

For other people!

Not me!

Elvaan with no MP merits and an MP-management-BAH! attitude.

EVERYONE WOULD DIE!

And I would be there like... what? I told ya! ;)

(To be fair, I'd also be a terrible BLM.)
More proof that elvaan is the worst race! Ostrich neck, thunder thighs, no MP!

Amneisac

Okay, I'm finally logged in and renamed on Sylph. I'll be on for a few hours if anyone is around to pearl me. (I'm in Jeuno at the moment).

Name is: Myxo

Loona

Ah, I will take note of that. I have to say I never researched most of the classes past the first few added.

Is scholar quest do-able without having progressed in any nation quests or story stuff?

IIRC you just need to be able to access the past version of the Eldieme Necropolis where the quest is flagged. There's a maw close to the Jeuno exit to Rolanberry, which will start you on the WotG missions and send you to a random past version of one of the areas outside Jeuno - from there it's a similar path to what it would be in the present.
It's basically a fetch quest, but must be ended as a mage job with a "state" 2-hour ability - chainspell, manafont or azure lore.
Iirc, the fetch part is sort of helped by a different quest in past Crawler's Nest.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Is Thief harder to level compared to the other starting jobs?

isual

ok. is there a definite guide on levelling up skills ? i've pretty much got the levelling down. Also, can someone explain how do i start levelling up in abyssea ?

i looked at the guide. what equipment and food increases skill ups ?

Midou

Well I think I'll try out the Scholar quest for now though, looking through the skillset and stuff, looks interesting. I'll get WHM and BLM to 49 to sub to RDM later anyway.

Tomat

It's not that hard to level, but it's a pain to gear properly.

I've had a few people tell me they're not that great until they get Sneak Attack/Triple Attack, and someone said something about having to sub-job to dual wield or something. Basically I have no idea what they're talking about.

So far my biggest complaint is the low health. I'm thinking about switching to a White Mage or something to give healing a try.

Honestly, every job sounds kinda fun so I dunno what I'll end up doing.

Arzehn

How is crafting these days? Is it still relevant enough to level and make serious cash or a moneysink/timesink for anything besides consumables? Could you just make money faster from farming?

Midou

I remember running there one time around level 20 first time I played and I swear an aggro monster popped on top of me. :p

Loona

Did anyone ever figure out what the trick was to killing Absolute Virtue?

There was also something about using the same 2-hour abilities it did within seconds of it using them, so it wouldn't be able to repeat them, which made it effectively immortal with stuff like Benediction, and able to rain death with Manafont.

Midou

Some of us are aggro magnets. >.>

Yes, that's me. I tried Aeana's way by just running through and died. :p

I forgot I was going to Selbina and by the time I realized I was most of the way through the Jugner forest.. but I also homepointed at the end of the Jugner forest and I just de-leveled. Everything is going terrible.

Edit: Goblin Leecher dropped a scroll of sneak, guess I can try to grind them for an Invisible too and be okay..

Edit 2: Nope, gonna run to Selbina.

Midou

I eventually made it to Jeuno. Doing Chocobo quest. Tried to do some Jeuno reputation quests in the meantime, but I just spent all my money buying Rolanberries and grass for chocobo feeding. I am going to have to investigate a better way to make doh. :p

I eventually made it to Jeuno. Doing Chocobo quest. Tried to do some Jeuno reputation quests in the meantime, but I just spent all my money buying Rolanberries and grass for chocobo feeding. I am going to have to investigate a better way to make doh. :p

If you're not using them right now, selling crystals is a good way to make some cash. They power the crafting system, and the new teleports.

Midou

If you're not using them right now, selling crystals is a good way to make some cash. They power the crafting system, and the new teleports.

Yeah, managed to get some good gil like that when I was solo-ing my RDM, though when I moved to Gusgen Mines, I managed to only get like 3 stacks of Earth Crystals during my whole 17-35 leveling grind, which sold for about 2k each at the time.

Though after I get my scholar and start spending some time solo-ing him, I should be able to get some good amount of other crystals again. Right now I don't think I really need gil for anything immediately. Worst case if I can't afford SCH spells, I'll just switch to my RDM and find some decent drop rate item that sells often on the AH to farm. :p

Mittaru asked today about my chat filters, and I took some screens of them a while ago for Tiv, so here they are. Hopefully this works for folks who are annoyed by some of the chat spam, but still want to see important stuff.

Filters1.jpg

Filters2.jpg

Filters3.jpg

Filters4.jpg

Filters5.jpg

Midou

Cool thanks, wasn't sure what some of the 'special actions' sort of things meant so I was afraid to turn some off.

Cool thanks, wasn't sure what some of the 'special actions' sort of things meant so I was afraid to turn some off.

Special actions are TP moves etc. I have the ones from my party and alliance turned set to show, but the filter turned on for people outside my party, because no1curr.

Tomat

Went to the wiki and set up my gamepad controls exactly like the 360 version. Soooo much better than what I had before. Didn't even have macros bound or anything.

Going to try out that assist macro Husker suggested.

isual

Todays progress:

White mage is now level 50, still levelling samurai's great katana to 225 so i can beat maat. May get dark knight and scholar soon (apparently need level 30 and above mage )

I notice this when I'm grinding in gusgen mines, crawlers, and obelix.

When I play early ~9am PST, the Japanese players seem to be far more efficient in grinding when compared to Americans

Tomat

Thief job seems like it is kind of crappy. Think I'm going to switch jobs.

Loona

May get dark knight and scholar soon (apparently need level 30 and above mage )

Getting red mage to 25 should be enough for any sneak/invis travel needs in the past plus the 2-hour ability to unlock SCH.

For DRK it helps to use warrior - IIRC you need to kill 100 critters with the great sword Zeid gives you, which I think only WAR and DRK could use - I don't know if rune fencer is now an option too, since it's the new job that finally mains that weapon type.

Tomat

You shut your whore mouth!
I'm sitting here at level 11 thinking "I could probably deal more damage and take more damage as a Warrior, and probably every other job available does more damage."

I heard Treasure Hunter is the only good thing about the class! So I gotta know: why are you a thief? :p

I'm sitting here at level 11 thinking "I could probably deal more damage and take more damage as a Warrior, and probably every other job available does more damage."

I heard Treasure Hunter is the only good thing about the class! So I gotta know: why are you a thief? :p

It's primarily a support class, you can play it as a light DD, you can play it as a TH whore, you can use it to do some minor enmity management. It's a fun class to play in a party. It's also good for farming, and sub dnc, very playable solo. At high levels, you can also use it to evasion tank some less difficult stuff.

carlo6529

TH is nice for making cash. You can eventually get a weapon skill through merit points that does 3k plus dmg with the right gear.

Tomat

It's primarily a support class, you can play it as a light DD, you can play it as a TH whore, you can use it to do some minor enmity management. It's a fun class to play in a party. It's also good for farming, and sub dnc, very playable solo. At high levels, you can also use it to evasion tank some less difficult stuff.

TH is nice for making cash. You can eventually get a weapon skill through merit points that does 3k plus dmg with the right gear.
Sounds like I was expecting the wrong things from the class then. I'll get back to it later but I think Im gonna switch out for now.

On that note, would it be better to stick with the Thief (since Im already at 11) until I can get sub jobs instead of switching out now?

Loona

Sounds like I was expecting the wrong things from the class then. I'll get back to it later but I think Im gonna switch out for now.
Having thief levelled is always handy, especially for quests and missions that involve drops, and Flee is a very handy skill to move around quickly.
It may never be your main job, but it's one worth having decently levelled.
On that note, would it be better to stick with the Thief (since Im already at 11) until I can get sub jobs instead of switching out now?

Might as well persist with it through Gusgen until 49, then you'll always have that as a subjob no matter how much you level other jobs.

isual

I still can't get the blasted moogle in my MH to cue the cutscene to upgrade the house.

I've already got the items, placed the bronze bed in, my fame just reached rank 3, but still no scene. dafuq ?

Loona

I still can't get the blasted moogle in my MH to cue the cutscene to upgrade the house.

I've already got the items, placed the bronze bed in, my fame just reached rank 3, but still no scene. dafuq ?

Is it actually placed in the nation mog house's layout? Storing the stuff there isn't enough.
might also be one one those cases where it only goes into effect after the conquest tally, at sunday's japanese midnight.... it's been a while...

Seigyoku

Is it actually placed in the nation mog house's layout? Storing the stuff there isn't enough.
might also be one one those cases where it only goes into effect after the conquest tally, at sunday's japanese midnight.... it's been a while...

If you placed it today, you won't get the scene till next Sunday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom