• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigitalVeil

Neo Member
"It was a typical MMO of its time, based roughly on gameplay found in and popularized by Blizzard’s World of Warcraft."

I don't even...wat?

creid

"It was a typical MMO of its time, based roughly on gameplay found in and popularized by Blizzard’s World of Warcraft."

I don't even...wat?
He's technically not saying FFXI got its gameplay from WoW. Basically a dumb way of saying "FFXI plays like an MMO."

Midou

Got Windower installed. This thing is awesome! Don't know why I waited so damn long.

It's even better when you have 2 monitors, 2nd one for wiki is so nice.

And lol at that article, how can anyone have the balls to post an article with so little research done. And FFXI plays nothing like WoW or most other MMOs to be honest. And I must have tried over 50 of them in the past 12 years.

Azzurri

Sup guys!

So, I never really got into FFXI, played for about a month a long time ago, but at the time WOW was all the rage. As of now, I'm getting an itch to play. I know the game is 11 years old now, but something about he game makes me want to jump in and start playing. I tried FFXIV AAR and even though it's a good game, I'm just not feeling the combat system right now, and hoping Yoshi P will tune it.

1. How solo friendly is it now, at the time you could not to diddly squat? I've heard that's actually changed and you can solo to max level?

2. What server has the largest POP? I've read Odin does.

3. How awesome is Blue Mage? :D

4. How's PvP?

If I have anymore I'll ask.

Loona

I'm not too sure on the population front, but if PVP interests you you might want to prioritize your server search based on that, since it's far from XI's default attitude - it sees itself as a cooperative game, and you gave to go out of your way to battle other players.
I read there were some dedicated PVPers, but I don't know which servers they converged to in recent years.

On the levelling, it's a lot faster than it used to be, but the most effective methods to do so still involve groups - but larger ones than before, so people care less about your gear in them.
With the raised level cap, a lot more things in the game have become soloable, so a lot of older content is easier to explore and complete - it still pays to level yor skills to make the most of that though, as they're separate from the character level, if limited by it.

As for blue mage, I love it - in this game you have to survive a fight to get a move, and it may take a few attempts to learn it after seeing it, but the game's awesomely flexible about how you csn use them later.
You see, you don't have access to all learned spells at all times, but those you do pick can affect your stats and some combinations give you certain passive skills, so you can best adjust for tasks ahead.
It's a fun job to force you to explore an interestingly conceived world to make the most of it, but it's also true that some spells can be a bother to get, since a few come from rare and powerful mobs that can't really be soloed at the soell's level, but that can also be an excuse to go and help people with them when the occasion arises.

Azzurri

Why so?

From what I've played I just get the feeling it's way too streamlined in almost every aspect of the game. You can't deny the game is beautiful, and the music is awesome, but it just feels like every MMO out, but I guess to attract the masses it's needed.

Sup guys!

So, I never really got into FFXI, played for about a month a long time ago, but at the time WOW was all the rage. As of now, I'm getting an itch to play. I know the game is 11 years old now, but something about he game makes me want to jump in and start playing. I tried FFXIV AAR and even though it's a good game, I'm just not feeling the combat system right now, and hoping Yoshi P will tune it.

1. How solo friendly is it now, at the time you could not to diddly squat? I've heard that's actually changed and you can solo to max level?

2. What server has the largest POP? I've read Odin does.

3. How awesome is Blue Mage? :D

4. How's PvP?

If I have anymore I'll ask.

1. Better than it used to be, but this depends heavily on your job choices etc. Expect to be playing with other people the majority of the time.

2. No idea, but most of us in this thread play on Sylph

3. So Awesome.

4. Nonexistant.

Why so?

From what I've played I just get the feeling it's way too streamlined in almost every aspect of the game. You can't deny the game is beautiful, and the music is awesome, but it just feels like every MMO out, but I guess to attract the masses it's needed.

Because I am heavily invested in FFXI and I greatly enjoy it's systems, subsystems, world, and endgame content. I've been playing since 2008 and there are still things I haven't done, areas I haven't seen, and things I haven't learned. The amount of content in FFXI is absolutely massive if you can crack it's tough exterior and get to it. I'll be playing this until they shut it down.

FFXIV is quite the looker, but it doesn't offer a "replacement" experience. It's a different game, one that I'm mildly interested in, but I don't have room for 2 MMOs in my life.

Loona

Are any of you going to switch over to XIV?

I played it for a bit before the shutdown to get Legacy status and some friends intend to play it, so at some point I might, but i'm not done with FFXI's Wings of the Goddess missions, so I'm hoping to get those those before seriously considering switching.

Also, I finally got my Black Belt this weekend and it didn't cost me gil to get as i was expecting, as it turned out some LS mates actually wanted some of Aspidochlene's other drops, so the money I've been saving is going into a bunch of other quests I've been putting off.
Another plasm farm run and I'll be able to get my delve knuckles, which should make older content a bit easier to deal with, so things are looking good on the topic of being done with my game objectives.

Midou

I'm gonna try out the free month of XIV I get for owning the original, but while they did seem to improve a lot of what made XIV shit in 1.0, it was at the cost of it turning into a theme park MMO. I really wish they went for something more like FFXI 2.0 rather than FF: Guild Wars 2 edition.

I'll still give it a chance though, otherwise I'll return to FFXI after XIV is out and after I have an income again.

ReconPeon

I'm gonna try out the free month of XIV I get for owning the original, but while they did seem to improve a lot of what made XIV shit in 1.0, it was at the cost of it turning into a theme park MMO. I really wish they went for something more like FFXI 2.0 rather than FF: Guild Wars 2 edition.

I'll still give it a chance though, otherwise I'll return to FFXI after XIV is out and after I have an income again.

Wow is a theme park mmo...

Azzurri

I agree, it is like any other theme park MMO, but with a FF skin. There are some cool tings, but not enough to differentiate itself from other MMOs like FFXI did.

Famassu

Soo... how much of a time investment would it be to jump in at this point, to experience FFXI and all its expansions & to at least go through the main story? And would it be impossible to do it with a group of 2-3 people?

And is it worth it? Is the story good enough that it makes sense just to plow through it as fast as possible (not that I'd skip all side content).

Midou

Wow is a theme park mmo...

Yeah, and I don't like WoW either.

Pretty much only MMOs I played for more than a month were Ragnarok Online (because had a ton of friends playing it), GW2 (because no monthly fee, and friends playing it) and FFXI (because it was like a Final Fantasy in MMO form). I get tired of 'run to ! NPCs, collect quests, pretend to read their poorly written story, follow marker, kill/collect/deliver, get reward'.

Though recently I have played some The Secret World and that's pretty good at motivating you to do random quests, most quests seem to have cut-scenes and voice acting and are written a lot better.

I know most MMOs are all about 'end-game', but if I get too bored to continue before I get there, doing it wrong. Like TERA for example, I hear how it's a totally different game once you reach max level, and you level fairly quickly, but died of boredom by like level 20. If you're just going to make a player kill thousands of brain dead enemies to get to max level then you need to rethink your game. At least GW2 lets you level a dozen different ways, and FFXI fights actually require strategy cause most shit that gives you exp can tear you a new one. Didn't get bored of XI when I stopped though, I just ended up feeling the need I had to play it since I was paying for it, and while being unemployed that is harder to justify.

Soo... how much of a time investment would it be to jump in at this point, to experience FFXI and all its expansions & to at least go through the main story? And would it be impossible to do it with a group of 2-3 people?

And is it worth it? Is the story good enough that it makes sense just to plow through it as fast as possible (not that I'd skip all side content).

Large time investment. You can trio or duo all of the story content, but there is a lot of preparation involved (leveling and gearing the jobs needed to DO that, then again there's always beastmaster).

I think the story works well because everything is linked to everything. The smallest side quest may tie into a plot thread in a larger storyline quest, but you may not realize that till later, giving you these "ooooooooooooooh" moments that are hard to succinctly describe. While it's possible to "blow through the story" and enjoy it, I think the reason the game sticks with people so much is what I described earlier. The presentation is just aces in that regard.

Another thing to note is that everything is done on the same character, you're never "re-rolling", so even when you change jobs and go back to the low level zones, or do some job specific quest you've never done before, you're not losing your progress, your mobility or ease of access to various locations, or anything like that. You're always making forward progress on your character, never really taking a step back.

Azzurri

I too am looking at playing w/o ever playing back in the day. From what I've heard it's much more friendlier than it was, but not taking away from the game as a whole.

The graphics don't both me being 11 years old, since it still actually looks quite nice, and I'm sure even nicer with windower and my 1440p monitor.

Azzurri

Said that quite some time ago. Not sure if/when it will actually happen. They've done some minor things but nothing too significant.

I was reading the official forums and the head Matsui made a post back in Feb-March

Hello,

I would like to inform you of the progress on the new UI for the Windows version. As we briefly touched upon in the past, implementation of the new UI is running behind schedule. The UI work is being dealt with separately from the creation of Seekers of Adoulin, so it’s not the case that the development team is getting caught up with working on the expansion. The reasons for the delay are mainly that in addition to the structural organization and features we had first thought of, there have been a lot of internal requests as well as request from players for new features to be added to make the UI even more user friendly.

In regards to the structural organization, the system was originally designed for a console such as the PS2, so we’ve been optimizing it so that each of the menu programs do not overuse memory. Due to this, we have been going deep into all of the menu features and performing adjustments so that the new UI will work. Currently, we have completed a good amount of the portions that can be realized with the current client, but there is still work left to be done on new menus for Seekers of Adoulin and "Play as a Monster".

In regards to the new features, this is not just about adding new menus with the new UI; this is also related to the fact that we are making feature improvements such as making mouse operation much smoother. The current UI has been optimized for using a controller, so you can think of it as we are spending time to revamp how it looks and the way it operates.

I’m am sure that there are some of you who watched the explanation of the UI structure, but using a portion of the UI (log window, menus, etc.) like an add-on will not work properly, so it’s actually quite difficult to release only the portions that were showed off at VanaFest. (It’s also very possible that the work difficulty would increase to make this happen.)

Unfortunately we will need a bit more time before we can organize all the features, finish all the fundamental feature improvement checks, and show it off on the Test Server. Realistically we are looking at summer at the earliest or fall if we include support in all languages.

With that said, I apologize for making you all wait longer, but we appreciate your understanding as we do our best to create a better and more user-friendly UI.

It actually sounds pretty awesome and not too far off.

Loona

If you take a very focused approach (choosing a specific job/subjob combination and sticking with it, for one, and going for speed it would mean a coice between the 6 starter jobs) and if those 2 or 3 people were consistently playing at the same times, with knowledge of where to level and how to get free gear (Conquest -> Abyssea -> Adoulin), handling the limit break quests and mastering some travel options you could probably do and see a lot in a month or two - though it's hard for me to assess this with any accuracy, since I started out in a slower period of the game.

This would also depend a bit on what you consider to be the main story, since like pancakes said, a lot of things are weaved together, and you often find connections to major mission lines and small quests - the distinction being that "missions" are usually the main story content for a nation or expansion, while quests are relatively more independent (some can be a one-off thing, others might have a sequence to them that continues in a very different place from where it first started).

So, when you start the game you can begin with easy nation missions which get progressively harder and are specific to your chosen city, but at one point the missions for att the nations actually share common tasks and story elements, merging together at fights people from different nations can do together, after which they split back agani into their own nation issues - but where that common point ends is where the Zilart expansion missions begin (you can't actually start them without enough nation mission progress), so those may count as main story line.
Then the following expansion, Chains of Promathia, has its own mission line you can start at any time, but it shares and expands on many story elements from Zilart, and in fact there are special quests you can only do once you've completed both their mission lines, tying their underlying issues further together, so they might both count as main story content.

The expansions that followed are more thinly connected to the rest and for the most part take place in areas of their own with different systems in place (ex: Sanction, Sigil or Ignis instead of Signet), so I guess they could be left out to get a more compressed experience - but you'd probably still want to access Abyssea for the quicker levelling.

The more recent the content the more interesting ways the devs have found to provide different experiences using the same underlying game systems, so on some level if playing through the "main" story isn't quite up your alley, on one hand there are some more refined implementations in more recent content, but if handling the way a melee/magic/hybrid job isn't quite to your taste, then that's trickier to change outside levelling and trying a bit of everything to see if something suits you better.

As for UI changes, most of all I wish they'd alphabetized the auction house lists and allowed the buying and selling of quantities other than a single unit or full stack - in SWTOR you could sell any amount, and when searching the game would calculate and display the cost per unit of anything (borrowed feature from WoW?... I never played that), which made it easier both as a seller and buyer.

You can sort the AH lists in multiple ways based on item type right now. Just hit triangle or + when in the menu and you'll get options.

Azzurri

So what's this armor macro switching I see in videos (blinking), I heard you basically need to do it to be efficient at your class.

So what's this armor macro switching I see in videos (blinking), I heard you basically need to do it to be efficient at your class.

You can change armor mid battle, so it's possible to min max on a per-action basis.

I might have some gear thats really good for swinging normally at monsters, but not so good for weaponskills (maybe it doesn't have the relevant stat modifiers), so i can swap into weaponskill gear, use the ability, and swap back to get the best of both worlds.

Another example would be:
Say you have a piece of gear that extends the duration or potency of a useful ability. Unfortunately, that's the only thing that piece of gear is good for anymore. You can swap in that piece for the casting of the ability, then swap back to something useful.

creid

Alright, I hit level 66 and it's almost time to fight Maat (as a WAR.) My preparation list includes:
  • Level to 70
  • Cap (or nearly cap) Great Axe skill
  • Get gear ~level 65
Anything I'm missing? Any tips? All of the strategies on the wiki seem to involve the Opa-opa Necklace, but I'd rather not do it that way if I don't have to.

Bilix

I haven't done the Warrior Maat fight, but it's probably easier than it was when guides were written. The fight wasn't designed with Retaliation in mind so you should have a pretty big advantage in the fight.

Alright, I hit level 66 and it's almost time to fight Maat (as a WAR.) My preparation list includes:
  • Level to 70
  • Cap (or nearly cap) Great Axe skill
  • Get gear ~level 65
Anything I'm missing? Any tips? All of the strategies on the wiki seem to involve the Opa-opa Necklace, but I'd rather not do it that way if I don't have to.

I have a necklace you can borrow if needed. Making a self skillchain is very advisable for the fight. If you do that with mighty strikes up you can devastate him.

IIRC you can walk up to him without engaging and he won't do anything. If that's the case, you should be able to walk up, pop berserk, warcry, mighty strikes, weaponskill 1, pop a dusty wing, weaponskill 2, skillchain and then CANCEL BERSERK, that should give you enough of a head start to down him.

creid

Managed to get to 70 last night so now I'm thinking about gear. Should I go through and get my AF stuff now, or am I better off getting gear for lv65-70?

I have a necklace you can borrow if needed. Making a self skillchain is very advisable for the fight. If you do that with mighty strikes up you can devastate him.

IIRC you can walk up to him without engaging and he won't do anything. If that's the case, you should be able to walk up, pop berserk, warcry, mighty strikes, weaponskill 1, pop a dusty wing, weaponskill 2, skillchain and then CANCEL BERSERK, that should give you enough of a head start to down him.
Would a self skillchain be helpful enough to make it worth the trouble to figure out what to do in Besieged/Assault/Einherjar/Abyssea, considering I haven't touched and know almost nothing about any of them?

B.K.

Is there a good guide to farming elementals in RuAun Gardens? I never can figure out how to get around that area or the spawn areas for each elemental.

Caj814

Just a heads up for anyone that may afk skillup with spellcast. It seems like GMs are cracking down on it to make sure people are present when skilling up and 2 people from Sylph either got suspended or banned for not responding to a GMs message.

TheContact

I noticed this game had a 14 day trial but I went to sign up and it said my IP couldn't sign up twice...which was weird because I've never signed up before, except when I had an account way back when it was released. I went to work today and tried to sign up at work and it said the IP was used already, I know for a fact it wasn't used here at wprl because this internet was just set up yesterday. Anyone else having issues with this? I really want to give this game a shot again

Azzurri

I noticed this game had a 14 day trial but I went to sign up and it said my IP couldn't sign up twice...which was weird because I've never signed up before, except when I had an account way back when it was released. I went to work today and tried to sign up at work and it said the IP was used already, I know for a fact it wasn't used here at wprl because this internet was just set up yesterday. Anyone else having issues with this? I really want to give this game a shot again

The free trial is over. It's the message it gives you.

Managed to get to 70 last night so now I'm thinking about gear. Should I go through and get my AF stuff now, or am I better off getting gear for lv65-70?

Would a self skillchain be helpful enough to make it worth the trouble to figure out what to do in Besieged/Assault/Einherjar/Abyssea, considering I haven't touched and know almost nothing about any of them?

Yes

Get FFXICalculator or look up WS combinations for skillchains so you know what WS to use followed by what WS.
Practice skillchains with another person to get the timing down.
Make a macro for your TP wing.
You should be able to hit your WS macro, Wing macro, then ws macro again, all within 10-15 seconds total.

Just get a feel for when you can start to use an item during the ws animation (it's usually a bit before the animation finishes) and how long it takes to recover from item use and accept commands again.

Is there a good guide to farming elementals in RuAun Gardens? I never can figure out how to get around that area or the spawn areas for each elemental.

I can go up there with you and show you around. Basically you need to hit the pincerstones to move between islands. If you're using the divine might teleports and getting stuck in a loop, you're using the wrong ports. Inside is trickier with the doors not always being in the position you want them to be, but not bad overall. Look for the maps asap. They help.

creid

Yes

Get FFXICalculator or look up WS combinations for skillchains so you know what WS to use followed by what WS.
Practice skillchains with another person to get the timing down.
Make a macro for your TP wing.
You should be able to hit your WS macro, Wing macro, then ws macro again, all within 10-15 seconds total.

Just get a feel for when you can start to use an item during the ws animation (it's usually a bit before the animation finishes) and how long it takes to recover from item use and accept commands again.
Just noticed that Dusty Wing is a temporary item (according to FFXIclopedia.) Is there a non-temp version, or did you mean Icarus Wing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom