• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toth

Does anyone know how long this game will still be around ?

Given that it just received its 5th expansion, probably another 2-3 years at bare minimum. SE has stated numerous times the game will remain online as long as it remains profitable. You would see a lot of server merges when time begins to run out.

Kientin

So I've been back on for awhile now and I'm working on ranger which is pretty much my last job I'm planning on leveling. Picked it back up at level 60 where I left it off a long time ago. It just hit me pretty hard what GoV and all this crazy fast leveling stuff has done to the standard player base as far as skill and gear goes.

Where I stopped I was capped on my bow skill and had the gear and food that was pretty much there for taking on mobs that are rated incredibly tough. I toss on my old stuff and a couple new pieces that I picked up and headed out to the leech camp in the sewers. I've been there before so I know how it goes around that level. I was surprised to find that not only am I accurately hitting the monsters, but I was out damaging people 10-15 levels higher than me. Now this was pretty funny at first, but ranger is a glass cannon and can't take that much punishment when the monsters are that much higher than you. As I get beat up occasionally I get some heals but no one provokes or does anything hardly. I hold back, but in the end I'm waiting until about the 75% hp mark before I fire a shot.

Don't get me wrong though, this faster pace is for the best in my eyes for sure. Man, it's frustrating at times though haha. At least somehow I've been keeping up with skill, hurray ranged attack skill rate. Also at least many are trying to have some decent gear, I see plenty of harby's and stuff. Few things make me scowl more though than seeing someone still in a Destirer Beret and a Chocobo Shirt at this level.

isual

today's progress:

Just dammit ! TWICE I had to go back to the quest giver to start a quest because the wiki didn't correctly state which is the starting quest; i.e, squire's test 1 for paladin (i started knights quest), while the other was for the bard (i went ALL the way to valkrum dunes !) when I had to go to the one in mhaegur or whatever

I also started on the dragoon. Trying to get 2 or 3 jobs a day if I can . Damn it takes forever. almost 1-2 hours to get one job

hgplayer1

Dont forget about instant warp and instant reraise scrolls that cost like 10 conquest points each. I always have one of each of those on me.

Mog sack and satchel solve a lot of inventory issues too if you have access to those.

I honestly believe Maat fights are mostly luck. I have tried not to get too frustrated with them in the past but I know when I do my next one its gonna suck since I most likely will do my first attempt with gimped skills. DRK Maat was probably tougher for me than SAM but with SAM I made a lot of mistakes each and every attempt.

Kientin

Holy crap! I complain about something and the game gives what I want to me. Pld joined our alliance. Had decent gear and actually put in a solid effort to tank! Like the first person I've ever seen actually try to tank in one of these alliances. Warms my heart, and actually kept hate off me too.

Had a rdm in my party that actually kept haste and other buffs on the party too. What is this!?

Macstorm

Anybody can level any job (in any gear) to 99. Nobody cares what you are anymore, because people just get together in an alliance and beat stuff up. It's very fast. I did 60-99 WHM in a week or so (can be done faster if you don't have to worry about limit breaks), and 1-49 DNC and 1-49 SCH in about a week combined as well.
Now that's what I'm talking about. Sounds great. Thanks.

Amneisac

Yeah, I'd been struggling to rejoin at $40, but for $9.99 I'll just create a new character on Sylph. I think this will be my fifth PlayOnline account linked to my SE Account. I've bought this game five different times.

Midou

Yeah I've bought at least 4 versions, but I mostly started over everytime since I never got too far in the first place. Finding some people to play with this time may be more motivating.

I've read a lot about 'alliances' not being XP parties in the returning players guide, what is an alliance then?

I was also always trying to do RDM/WHM, there shouldn't be any balance problems about this right? I only ever got to like level 25 on RDM and did nothing else anyway.

Though I mostly just like the RDM outfit, so other subs would be cool too.

Amneisac

Yeah I've bought at least 4 versions, but I mostly started over everytime since I never got too far in the first place. Finding some people to play with this time may be more motivating.

I've read a lot about 'alliances' not being XP parties in the returning players guide, what is an alliance then?

I was also always trying to do RDM/WHM, there shouldn't be any balance problems about this right? I only ever got to like level 25 on RDM and did nothing else anyway.

Though I mostly just like the RDM outfit, so other subs would be cool too.

Alliances are just multiple parties banded together. Now you do what they call page burning or book burning, and you get into an alliance and accept quests from a book in the zone and kill the enemies in a full alliance. You get XP much faster than the old days.

Added the gamersgate link to the OP.

Anyone who needs a pearl, tonight is a really good night to catch folks as it's IHOP event night. If you can be on sometime before 9 EST (run start time) I'll warp around and pearl you.

Amneisac

Added the gamersgate link to the OP.

Anyone who needs a pearl, tonight is a really good night to catch folks as it's IHOP event night. If you can be on sometime before 9 EST (run start time) I'll warp around and pearl you.

Cool, thanks man. I'll be sure to get on after I get everything all installed and updated. Any idea how up-to-date the client is as it's installed?

I'm remoting my home machine from work because I know in the past 4-6 hours of updates was pretty usual.

Cool, thanks man. I'll be sure to get on after I get everything all installed and updated. Any idea how up-to-date the client is as it's installed?

I'm remoting my home machine from work because I know in the past 4-6 hours of updates was pretty usual.

I think it can still take that long. I'm not completely sure. Getting it started asap is a good idea though.

That reminds me, I need to put some information about windower in the OP. - and done.

For those interested:

IHOP is currently working on Abyssea stuff. We're farming empyrean weapons at the moment. We have some Sobek to finish, and some Cieren Croin afterwards, then we'll be working on gearing people up with +2 Empyrean armor. My plan is to get all the regular attendees 2 complete sets before moving on to the next project.

Runs are Tuesday evenings at 9:00 pm EST

Seigyoku

Yeah updates still take a while.

Anyone interested in starting up/ returning I suggest you run updates this week. There is a version update sometime next week and the servers will be HAMMERED on that day!!

Midou

So I used to do like 1 to 10 or 13, solo before, then moved to like Selbina and tried to find parties there for leveling, but I hear things are pretty different now. I did read through the returning player FAQ, but most of the stuff seems to start from 30. Is there a different process now to get to that level? Though I hear that beret helps to level 30 as well.

I'm hoping to start from the beginning for the last time. :p

Aeana

So I used to do like 1 to 10 or 13, solo before, then moved to like Selbina and tried to find parties there for leveling, but I hear things are pretty different now. I did read through the returning player FAQ, but most of the stuff seems to start from 30. Is there a different process now to get to that level? Though I hear that beret helps to level 30 as well.
They raised the amount of experience you get from enemies in general, so soloing - especially at the early levels - is dramatically faster. I don't know when you played last, but they also added field manuals to the regular fields that you can do kill tasks for for bonus experience, as well as buy buffs like regen/refresh/reraise from. That said, somewhere between 10-15, most people head into Gusgen and do grounds of valor page grinding in an alliance on the skeletons.

You could go 1-15 or so in the starting zones in an hour or 2 if you're fast. Use the books to get regen / refresh and the beret/shirt bonus items. You can find "grounds of valor" parties after that. Try soloing at any level over 10 with your flag up and people looking for level syncs might send you a tell. I had my flag up as a 99 warrior and got asked to go to gusgen the other day >.>

Midou

Yeah I think I played a bit once they added those books but don't remember much, thanks for the info. Hopefully I should have this all installed/updated by the end of the day. :p

Amneisac

If you're at least a little bit computer savvy and playing on PC everyone should definitely check out these settings you can adjust in the registry to get the most out of the game:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

I'm most excited about being able to solo the Genkai quests. That stuff always held me back before and really killed my momentum trying to find a group or high level help to get through them. What I'd like to do is get to a reasonably high level and check out a lot of the mission content I've missed out on in the past.

If you're at least a little bit computer savvy and playing on PC everyone should definitely check out these settings you can adjust in the registry to get the most out of the game:

I'm most excited about being able to solo the Genkai quests. That stuff always held me back before and really killed my momentum trying to find a group or high level help to get through them. What I'd like to do is get to a reasonably high level and check out a lot of the mission content I've missed out on in the past.

Windower does this for you with a simple toggle now. No need to even bother with the registry.

Midou

I remember I used to have an application that changed some of that stuff, but I can go with the registry edits manually too. :O

So I'm kind of confused now. I have a Square Enix account cause of FFXIV, but I don't know anything about a playonline account.

I found the FFXI service page on the SE site, but I don't know what my playonline service account is. In the playonline launcher, it says I need to visit the SE page to register for it now, and I can login with an existing playonline account. Yet I don't see how to register for one or get the code to link it to my SE account... I was hoping with the SE system they would have made it easier.

http://www.playonline.com/homeus/polshift/ I found this page, but selecting transfer still asks me for my playonline ID, which, again, I am not aware of making or getting when I got the game through gamersgate.

I remember I used to have an application that changed some of that stuff, but I can go with the registry edits manually too. :O

So I'm kind of confused now. I have a Square Enix account cause of FFXIV, but I don't know anything about a playonline account.

I found the FFXI service page on the SE site, but I don't know what my playonline service account is. In the playonline launcher, it says I need to visit the SE page to register for it now, and I can login with an existing playonline account. Yet I don't see how to register for one or get the code to link it to my SE account... I was hoping with the SE system they would have made it easier.

Initial setup is really confusing. I haven't done it in so long I don't know where everything is off the top of my head.

I can tell you though, that after going through all this, you'll only need to actually log in with your SE account, and maybe an authenticator number should you use one.

Using the hardware token also grants you an extra inventory bag which is always equal in size to your main bag, and accessible anywhere.

Midou

GG instructions say:

7. Once you are logged in, click on “Select Service” under “Services and Options” and then choose “PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI”.
i. Select “PlayOnline” on the Service screen to add a new PlayOnline service account (POL ID) or “Add a service account” if you already have a PlayOnline service account (POL ID) and wish to add your game to it.
ii. In order to complete the registration, you must provide the 20 digit registration code provided in this product purchase confirmation email.

Yet that doesn't really help with my predicament. I will look around though, if anyone did it recently shows up it would help too.

Edit: Game activation code WAS my playonline ID, solved.

teiresias

Lord, tempted to link my old PlayOnline account and grind a bit in FFXI now, haha. I never played the game a ton, but I got really annoyed with it at game launch in the US due to the horrible solo-game (didn't help that I was a graduate student at the time with real work to do either). Still, one of the best worlds ever put in a binary (though it would help if they upped the run speed of the characters).

Midou

One time I went back after a couple years and I was able to get my character back, so it's worth trying.

Also, I was so confused with all the different passwords I locked myself out, god dammit.

One time I went back after a couple years and I was able to get my character back, so it's worth trying.

Also, I was so confused with all the different passwords I locked myself out, god dammit.

I know nothing about the account. I quit years ago, have no knowledge or even where to begin about my account. Probably used my old school e-mail which I don't have anymore :( I had a decently decked out Bard. Ahh, I miss him :3

Midou

I know nothing about the account. I quit years ago, have no knowledge or even where to begin about my account. Probably used my old school e-mail which I don't have anymore :( I had a decently decked out Bard. Ahh, I miss him :3

I went through support and gave them enough vague details that they were able to give me my account info. No email might be tricky though. I had like my credit card number and the game serial or something, and managed to get everything else from them. :p

Another matter, you just add item codes at the 'add service account' page correct? It keeps saying "You cannot add expanded services because either the maximum number of service accounts have been added/registered or there are no service accounts to which the expanded services can be added/registered. "

Deband

Why does your name seem familiar? Were you on Phoenix by any chance?

Amneisac

So what's the best way for me to get a pearl later? Just add my name to the spreadsheet or should I look for someone specific in game?

Amneisac

I went through support and gave them enough vague details that they were able to give me my account info. No email might be tricky though. I had like my credit card number and the game serial or something, and managed to get everything else from them. :p

Another matter, you just add item codes at the 'add service account' page correct? It keeps saying I don't have a valid service to add it to.

Yeah, I'm having the problem with the item code, too. I think you might have to actually create a content ID and in-game character first.

Midou

Yeah, I'm having the problem with the item code, too. I think you might have to actually create a content ID and in-game character first.

Yeah I think I need to have an actual character. Thought it might be like GW2 where it just gives it to the character but I guess not.

Why does your name seem familiar? Were you on Phoenix by any chance?

It's been so long I don't remember the names of the servers (2 servers where I spent the majority of my FFXI time, I think Kujata was one of them) I played on. I played on a couple b/c of playing different stints and different groups of people. I doubt I'm the only one to use this name :p

SwagJesus

Banned
Care to elaborate?

Skirmish weapon superiority is both random (the augments that make them "so good" are randomly obtained), and temporary (R/M/E are getting some sort of buff eventually. Matsui alluded to this in a post on the OF). The weapons are powerful, but not all of them math out as the best in every situation ever. Not to mention that discouraging people from jumping in based on the usefulness of a weapon that won't be an option for them for a long time is silly.

There is a great mix of server wide unlockables and personal unlockables that are all being figured out by the community at the moment. We've essentially had small new things to play with almost every week since the expansion arrived. Have you been participating in anything other than beating up colonization reives?

By the end of next week, we should have another update with more content, including another all new battle system, "Delve", which supposedly has a non-completion based reward system. Very interested to see what's in the next datmine.

I am speaking for returning players. Let's be honest this expansion won't be complete until a year or two down the line.

I also don't see how this game is casual being that the only casual things to do are boring and tiresome.

Another matter, you just add item codes at the 'add service account' page correct? It keeps saying "You cannot add expanded services because either the maximum number of service accounts have been added/registered or there are no service accounts to which the expanded services can be added/registered. "

Correct, you use "add service account".

Expanded services is for something else.

Amneisac

I'm very much surprised on how many people here can tackle make another game account, lest 5 more !

Well, in my specific case usually what happens is the game goes on sale for less than the price of a month's subscription fee. So I decide it's better for me to just buy a new copy of the game that includes all the content I'm missing since I played last and give me 30 days playing time.

So I have five accounts linked to my Square Enix account, but I only ever play one at a time.

Like with this example, I have a decently geared up character on another server on another account, but instead of buying the game (for $9.99 on sale right now) and applying the codes to get the content and then paying $12.95 to sub (and only get 7 days of sub time because it's the end of the month) - I just bought it and made a new PlayOnline account so I'll get 30 full days and all the new content and I'll just start fresh.

Diomedes

Sometimes I am both sad and happy that I deleted account. Get massive nostalgia pangs and am ready to hop back in then remember that I deleted my account in 2010 and Char. reactivation can't find any data. On the other hand, FFXI was a massive detriment to my quality of life, enjoyed it but spent a disproportionate amount of time on it.

I am speaking for returning players. Let's be honest this expansion won't be complete until a year or two down the line.

I also don't see how this game is casual being that the only casual things to do are boring and tiresome.

You're not doing a very good job at elaborating. What are your jobs? What is your overall progress level on missions? Are you endgame ready but just lacking a group or time? What events do you specifically dislike? Are you interested in any events, but think you'll be unable to participate? Why? Explain your gripes with details so you don't come off like a joyless twat. Maybe there is a solution, or things are more accessible than you think they are.

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm only getting on if there are Provenance Watcher shouts. I need to get Adamas so I can have the power of crystal sword and shield!

The correct answer is "unfinished." :(

Even if it ends up being another job that isn't taken to endgame, I will still play it for the artifact clothing.

creid

Didn't plan on buying Adoulin for a while since I've already got so much to do, but at $10 I couldn't pass it up. Is there much content for a poorly-geared WAR 51 to do, or should I leave it for later? Any quests I should flag right away (like the Abyssea stones?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom