• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

isual

today's progress:

ninja and samurai jobs. Airship pass (those 3 keys took a while). Will work on getting more advance jobs. Also, I heard a lot of people beat maat with samurai, since it's much, much easier. this true ?

First person to quote my post gets the code for this unused Desterier Beret I have (Already got one so I don't need this one)

Edit: Tried to go to Audolin, saw the level of the monsters standing in my way and figured maybe another time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Do any of you who play this on PC prefer playing with a controller to playing with a keyboard?

Kandinsky

First person to quote my post gets the code for this unused Desterier Beret I have (Already got one so I don't need this one)

Edit: Tried to go to Audolin, saw the level of the monsters standing in my way and figured maybe another time.

:O

Edit: thanks tiggerkiddo, worked like a charm :D

Loona

The chapulins, twitheryms and mandragoras there aren't aggressive, to get to the actual city just head east.
t's the mantises and umbrils you have to keep an eye on, but if you use sneak/invis you should be fine, there are a few quests that can be done in the city, and they actually give exp along with other rewards.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Any chances that still have my character from years ago? I never deleted (i think). The problem is my account is probably linked to an old email one, might be hard to reconnect to playonline.

Loona

Any chances that still have my character from years ago? I never deleted (i think). The problem is my account is probably linked to an old email one, might be hard to reconnect to playonline.

Likely, but the more info you have on the old account the better your odds are.

Miyahon

I've only played this on the PS2 years ago when it first came out. Is the controller a preferred method to play or keyboard? I know certain PC games can use the Xbox controller but I'm not sure if this is one of them.

I've only played this on the PS2 years ago when it first came out. Is the controller a preferred method to play or keyboard? I know certain PC games can use the Xbox controller but I'm not sure if this is one of them.

Get yourself a wired 360 controller, it works great for this.

Aquila

That gamersgate deal was too good to pass up so now I'm back in too. The ui is pretty harsh to me in this day and age, but the 360 controller works pretty so far.

Ploid 3.0

The Tchakka fight looks brutal.

Oco.png

0:40:00
http://www.twitch.tv/coder93/b/394151125

Look like you need a ton of people for it.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ah, they finally figured out how to do those? Does that mean those stronger than empyrean weapons have been found out yet?

Also: Might as well treat it like of Walk of Echoes and come SMN or BST.

Ah, they finally figured out how to do those? Does that mean those stronger than empyrean weapons have been found out yet?

Also: Might as well treat it like of Walk of Echoes and come SMN or BST.

Yeah, first ones were killed over a week ago. That's when people figured out that colonization % = Nakuaal weakness level. It's also likely the reason that twilight scythe was nerfed. Apparently quick draw ignores the damage resistance, so it works on a similar mechanic.

The funny named drop weapons with the elemental resistance on them all come from nakuaals yes. The augmented ones come from skirmish.

Midou

Do any of you who play this on PC prefer playing with a controller to playing with a keyboard?

I do. Though I've never been very high level, so I can't say how efficient it is for tougher stuff, but since PS2 players have been doing it forever, I imagine it's okay.

Aeana

At least they nailed FF14's kb/m controls in 2.0.

And hey, ZetaEpyon. I found out that Talym is your character. Nice to have more GAF dudes around in the LS.

creid

I already had everything up until Abyssea installed, but I just bought the new ultimate collection from Gamersgate. Looks like I'll have to run their installer to get the Adoulin content - is this going to overwrite my existing FFXI installation? Will I then have to redownload all of the expansions just to get the last one?

Aeana

I already had everything up until Abyssea installed, but I just bought the new ultimate collection from Gamersgate. Looks like I'll have to run their installer to get the Adoulin content - is this going to overwrite my existing FFXI installation? Will I then have to redownload all of the expansions just to get the last one?
When you run the installer, you'll get a menu that gives you the option to install each component individually. You can just install Adoulin from there.
But you do have to download all of them together since it's an all-in-one installer.

creid

When you run the installer, you'll get a menu that gives you the option to install each component individually. You can just install Adoulin from there.
But you do have to download all of them together since it's an all-in-one installer.
Whew. That's not bad at all, thanks.

isual

today's progress:

still stuck at maat

I went to norg (had to ask for help getting there) completed jobs from last progress:

Ninja, Samurai (just have to wait 3 in game days), dragoon, beastmaster and ranger (just have to turn it in)

Someone was kind enough to help make a norg earring for me so I wouldn't have to go through that blasted maze by myself !

Also, I started on summoner; figured if I was going to be travelling throughout vanadiel and going places, I'd might as well pick it up since I may get some of the weather scenes out of the way, and I just did ! Already seen:

Red, Blue and Green ! 4 more to go

I may now go and get corsair, blu mage and puppeteer, but I have no idea how to get to aht urgan...

Oh, i may just get dark knight since I started it already

today's progress:

still stuck at maat

I went to norg (had to ask for help getting there) completed jobs from last progress:

Ninja, Samurai (just have to wait 3 in game days), dragoon, beastmaster and ranger (just have to turn it in)

Someone was kind enough to help make a norg earring for me so I wouldn't have to go through that blasted maze by myself !

Also, I started on summoner; figured if I was going to be travelling throughout vanadiel and going places, I'd might as well pick it up since I may get some of the weather scenes out of the way, and I just did ! Already seen:

I may now go and get corsair, blu mage and puppeteer, but I have no idea how to get to aht urgan...

You should start the teleport quest in Ru'lude gardens. You can tele there, and every other outland city, using crystals.

Loona

Once you enter the grotyo, the thing to remember is "hug your right", but like pancakes said, now the waypoint quest from Anastase in Ru'lude Gardens makes it all simpler, and will ladt forever as ling as you spare a few crustals to reload waypoints.

Do you have the Elshimo Lowlands outpost already?
The old path to Norg was to tele there, turn around so that your back's to the outpost, then drop down the hole a bit to your left - if it's the right one, its path makes a U-turn so that you see waterfalls as you're exitong to the lower level, which lets you reach the Grotto.

I suspect that the blue you already got was dark blue for water, the other being lighter for ice - that one's common in the northlands you visit for the common nation missions 5-2 and 6 IIRC - before outpost warps or Teleport-Vagzl, your path there is through Ranguemont Pass off the northeast of East Ronfaure - sneak/invis needed nowadays not ling after the room with elvaan NPCs.

Missing still is purple/thunder, common in Qufim island you can reach from Port Jeuno; yellow/earth, common in the drier-looking areas. Actually just 3 to go for the time being, the 6 elements are so pervasive they eventually sink in.

IIRC you talk to an Elvaan guy in the Tenshodo place in Lower Jeuno, Neptune's Spire (gaining access is needed around the time nation missions send you to Jeuno IIRC) - he gives you the option to take one of 3 different tasks for access to your first boat trip to Whitegate, the easier of which involves getting the items for both Selbina and Mhaura's subjob quests.
The boat trip in question departs from Mhaura,
But it's the only time you need to take the slow path - all starter cities have a "Lure of the Wildcat" quest which just consists on talking to NPCs, and on completion and after enough talking and selling your soul to Naja once you've started the ToAU cutscenes, the NPCs that started those quests can teleport you for 300 gil.

IIRC there's an extra quests after unlocking DRK that involves killing a few more things with that same great sword which then lets you get a better one for the early levels, which should be handy now that there's the Rune Fencer job to actually main the thing.

I need that darn moogle to show up that allows me to teleport to the other nations with ease.

May start farming for more zinc cores so I can raise Norg rank...though the necklaces seem to drop much easier.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I remember trying the free trial with the keyboard and was blown away at how bad the controls were. I figured it was developed as a PC game first and ported to PS2. Worked great with a generic gamepad though, felt like FFXII the MMO.

Gonna install and start patching here in a bit, ran into a problem the first time I tried to install so I had to re-DL everything. Hopefully be on sometime tomorrow.

Midou

I'm closing in on 20, was mostly just killing stuff in La Theine Plateau. Is the subjob quest still the same as before? I remember last time I played, Selbina was pretty dead for parties.

Went to do some Rank quests for now though.

Amneisac

So, I kind of regret using my reg. code for the SoA Ultimate Edition on a new account.

I'm considering reactivating another account I have. It has a level 60 character with good gear, lots of jobs unlocked, some money, teleport quests unlocked, etc. etc. and Rank 6. There's no way I'm going to pay the money to reactivate and buy SoA again at full retail price though.

(especially since I'd be considering paying the $25 to transfer from Asura to Sylph.)

Would I still find plenty to do with a level 60+ character without having SoA? I mean it's going to take me a while to get through all those limit breaks and stuff, but if/when I got to 99 is pretty much everything going down in SoA content right now?

So, I kind of regret using my reg. code for the SoA Ultimate Edition on a new account.

I'm considering reactivating another account I have. It has a level 60 character with good gear, lots of jobs unlocked, some money, teleport quests unlocked, etc. etc. and Rank 6. There's no way I'm going to pay the money to reactivate and buy SoA again at full retail price though.

Would I still find plenty to do with a level 60+ character without having SoA? I mean it's going to take me a while to get through all those limit breaks and stuff, but if/when I got to 99 is pretty much everything going down in SoA content right now?

Yes, you'd still have plenty to do, but you're gonna miss that beret and shirt if you already added them to the new character.
SoA itself is for level 99 characters with level 90+ gear (assuming you're not running around with friends who can cover you), when you walk out of town, every single monster in the new areas checks tough or higher to a 99.

Did you have substantial mission progress? You might want to reactivate the level 60 character and strip him of everything of value, sending it to your new guy just to keep the expansion and the bonus items. If you were only level 60 you couldn't have progressed THAT much on the old account, so this method may get you the most stuff with the least additional real money cost.

How much gil are we talking here anyway? and what is "good gear"?

Amneisac

Yes, you'd still have plenty to do, but you're gonna miss that beret and shirt if you already added them to the new character.

Did you have substantial mission progress? You might want to reactivate the level 60 character and strip him of everything of value, sending it to your new guy just to keep the expansion and the bonus items. If you were only level 60 you couldn't have progressed THAT much on the old account, so this method may get you the most stuff with the least additional real money cost.

Yeah, that's a good idea. Of course the problem is the other character is on another POL account on another server, so it would cost me $25 + $12.95 to get access to the stuff, at that point I feel like I might as well just use the other character. He has the beret already, but no shirt. I also feel like I'd be more interested in advancing from 60 than doing 1-30 stuff again, which is all the shirt and beret help with, right?

I honestly can't remember how much money, but I had pretty much all the best gear you could have at level 60 for a DNC/NIN (expensive rings and HQ + stuff) and at least a hundred K gil or so (I was on a server with a friend who had tons of money and he bankrolled me pretty well, but he's not playing anymore).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom