• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome, thanks!

I must have played somewhere between 15 and 20 hours back in the day but never finished this. The speed up + extra customisation options will be nice.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Within about half an hour Vaan goes from attacking Basche in his cage to saying my brother was right to trust you, and not for any particular reason... always thought that was stupid
In light of XIII, I was kinda happy it didn't become some ongoing Hope -> Snow style death vendetta. :p

Brannon

Holy crap the best change is the individual X/Y axis inversion options. Pushing left to look right... sacriliege.

Normal X/Invert Y is best.

kromeo

Are there any crazy difficulty spikes later on? I'm trying to guage how much grinding is healthy....

Not really in the main story, about half way through the game
when you set off for Archades
enemies start to hit a bit harder but there's never any point where you need to grind a huge amount

Should I be trying to keep everyone at an even level, or concentrate on a main party of 4?

I'm pretty sure I kept them all relatively even before, but I just realise there's no passive leveling in this game.

Within about half an hour Vaan goes from attacking Basche in his cage to saying my brother was right to trust you, and not for any particular reason... always thought that was stupid
I felt it made sense, Vaan acts in a rash and emotional moment when he sees his brother's alleged killer. But after having some time to think it through realizes Basch's story makes sense.
He's seen the Captain's twin with his own eyes and it's already suspect enough that a supposedly executed war criminal is alive and well.

It's not particularly exciting character development, but it's better than dragging out a false conflict (that the player knows is false) for hours and hours.

SkylineRKR

In light of XIII, I was kinda happy it didn't become some ongoing Hope -> Snow style death vendetta. :p

Which was even more stupid because Hope's mother sacrificed herself and Hope was there. They would've been purged anyway. He looked for a victim to lay blame on, sure, but it shouldn't have taken that fucking long. The player knew how that moment panned out as well.

MedIC86

Should I be trying to keep everyone at an even level, or concentrate on a main party of 4?

I'm pretty sure I kept them all relatively even before, but I just realise there's no passive leveling in this game.

I am by no means an expert but i think the 'ff pro's' will say that you best level everyone with different jobs to be ready for everything....but i finished the game on ps2 with just leveling my fave characters and making them a sort of superman team. So just play as you like i guess :)

I am by no means an expert but i think the 'ff pro's' will say that you best level everyone with different jobs to be ready for everything....but i finished the game on ps2 with just leveling my fave characters and making them a sort of superman team. So just play as you like i guess :)
OK, thanks. I guess my favs will run away a bit in levels, but I'll probably try to keep everyone at least with a fighting chance.

Ulong

Is making someone white mage / black mage a super dumb thing to do when I could have made them red / anything else?

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Um. I don't even have the game yet so I'll ask anyway: How is the combat system? Because back then I was more use to the ATB system of X-2 but this one looked weird to me.

RPGCrazied

Just got the full party. Really want that 2nd job so I can make my vaan into a white mage. A white mage samurai! The characters I'm using don't have cure or that job. I'm potion healing at the moment. lol

WarAdept

Um. I don't even have the game yet so I'll ask anyway: How is the combat system? Because back then I was more use to the ATB system of X-2 but this one looked weird to me.

Ever played the first Dragon Age? Basically the same thing.

If you've played a MMO or something like Xenoblade Chronicles, you'll feel at home here.

Real time combat with lots of mid battle pausing (or not if you chose to use Active mode) and on the fly changing of AI behaviours.

Thoughts?

Vaan: Monk/Bushi
Balthier: Knight / Bushi
Basch: Foebreaker/Shikari
Ashe: Black Mage/Red Battlemage
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist
Fran: Uhlan / Archer

Have you played Xenoblade Chronicles?

neoism

The only way to level in this

Get control of vann ... Get level 99 before first major story quest
Every character once they come into the party are within 5 level of you

😋

A bit like an MMO, but MMOs are real time all the time while you are able to pause in FFXII to use moves and so on. You've got usual resource management and the movelists can be massive.

There's also a way to program your allies to automate various actions when placed under certain conditions (like for example heal when at 30% health). So you don't have to micromanage 3 different characters at the same time.

It's very different. It's largely based on pre planning at which point you coast by. The Gambit system is a list of preset commands you can set up individually for each character and put them in an order of priority. It allows you to set up stuff like 'foe: lowest hp = attack' or 'ally hp < 30% = Curaga' so that the common inputs are handled automatically and you only have to input any commands manually that you won't be relying on regularly. In essence it takes the basic mash x side of FF and removes the mash x, while allowing you to expand upon it to and extent to automate whatever you think can fit into the conditions they offer.

The only way to level in this

Get control of vann ... Get level 99 before first major story quest
Every character once they come into the party are within 5 level of you

&#128523;

Personally I prefer just playing through the story and then
farming the skeletons just outside the Necrohol of Nabudis. You can pretty much just bring one normal character by that point and chuck the weaklings in with them and let it run. XP payout is decent there.

Lightning

Banned
Is making someone white mage / black mage a super dumb thing to do when I could have made them red / anything else?
There is no "dumb" thing cause it's an easy game and the jobs were originally designed to work alone anyway. Whatever jobs you pick you can easily cruise through this game.

That set up wouldn't be that great because unless I'm mistaken the magic lores don't stack so I tried to go for jobs that have both physical and magic lore increases and that everyone got the 3x swiftness auguments.

Wait, could this be easily done???

&#129300;
Easily done no. It takes several hours and I don't believe saves time in the long run.

Does this game support HDR on PS4 Pro? The US Gamer review stated it had HDR support, but for the life of me, I can't find anything in game that would activate it.

BumRush

Even grinding for 30 min in the first desert (7 min of real life), the speed boost is a life saver. That's QoL at its finest.

BocoDragon

Even grinding for 30 min in the first desert (7 min of real life), the speed boost is a life saver. That's QoL at its finest.
I wonder... does the fast forward option speed up the in game clock?

I've been really enjoying being back in Ivalice after such a long long wait for this Remaster. I had a quick look through the spreadsheet on the front page before starting and decided to go with a lore-friendly team. I still don't know what to do about Quickenings and Espers but I'm sure I'll get by.

I've not long aquired the
Dawn shard
and returned to Rabanastre. Working through a few hunts just now before progressing. It's my GOTY thus far.

Zetta

I love Balthier so much lol...."The Ifrit's playing with fire and I'd rather not get burned". Balthier quite possibly has the best dialogue ever, as soon as he makes his entrance you could tell that he is something unique.

Tanis

Thoughts?

Vaan: Monk/Bushi
Balthier: Knight / Bushi
Basch: Foebreaker/Shikari
Ashe: Black Mage/Red Battlemage
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist
Fran: Uhlan / Archer

Looks good to me. From a min/max point of view the only thing missing is your Vaan won't get the +strength heavy armor.

BocoDragon

I don't think there's been a game begging for a remaster for as long as XII has. The fact that it was literally released alongside the PS3 in the West made it instantly dated, even though there was a full 3D open world AAA RPG hidden under the 480i visuals.

I loved it back then, but I think like a lot of people, I was holding my breath for a remaster to play it again. Like I'm pretty sure as far back as 07-08 I was thinking "they'll put it in HD eventually, so I'll wait to replay". And what a wait it was.

I think that's why so many people are rediscovering this game. A lot of us didn't touch it for years because it was hard to go back to in a decade of HD. And now it's back, polished to modern standards, and it kinda looks like one of the best RPGs you can play this gen.

ryan13ts

I finally commited some jobs to my characters after almost 2 days of research and trying to find matchups that I liked personally (Having OCD and being extremely indecisive sucks ass). I went with

Knight/Bushi - Basch
Uhlan/Time Battlemage - Ashe
White Mage/Machinist - Penelo
Monk/Black Mage - Vaan
Red Battlemage/Archer - Fran
Foebreaker/Shikari - Balthier

Now I just have to play on and see if this setup works good, which I pray it will considering how long it took for me to make the final decision. Anyone have any opinions on this setup?

Best lore-friendly suggestion for Ashe if I've given Knight to Basch?
I don't think it matters too much... Just because she was using a sword and shield in the sewers, it could be just that's all she was able to scavenge. Doesn't necessarily mean she's a full on knight per se.

And in the original vision of XII, Matsuno envisioned everyone being able to learn all Licenses anyhow. So the new 2 Jobs limit, I sort of envision that as a rule for this story: let's have everyone focus on 2 Jobs or roles each for the purpose of this specific quest -- not that it's a hard lore rule (that if she takes Uhlan that she is only an Ulan forever). I think the Ivalice lore establishes Licenses as being pretty free in general so I don't think it's break lore or canon to think, 'for pre-XII, she was using KNI Licenses, then for the XII story she was using BSH Licenses, but for the RK story, she switches to TBM Licenses.'

That said, the Licenses that she does have a history of preferring are basically KNI (XII) (she uses 1H swords in scenes and then the 2H Licenses would fit the story swords she gets), and then TBM in RK. TBM also gets Durandal (but no shield), so something like RDM/TBM would fit her pretty well (1H sword form TBM at endgame + Shield from RDM, plus healing and buffing). KNI/TBM, too.

Vaan is pretty clearly shows preference for KNI over SHI though, too. He starts with a dagger, but in all the XII, RK, and Dissidia art, he's using 1H swords (and usually pieces of plate armor not leather). (KNI works well on 2 characters though.)

Then you can make Basch a BSH instead since that's his RK Job, and BSH still kinda fits his story well. BSH/MNK I think works well... You could envision that he became spiritual
in prison.
. MNK probably fits Basch or Ashe the best, I guess... not in the sense of MNK Licenses, but the MNK lore I think are the sort of warrior-pilgrims at Mt. Bur Omisace, and that sort of path fits Ashe and Basch I guess.

But again, I think the nature of Jobs just being Licenses they decided to divide up for this story means you have a lot of freedom. It doesn't mean Ashe is an Uhlan, through and through. Just means she's using those Licenses for this story. Licenses, in the lore sense, are kinda as changeable and temporary as equipment. I think, at least. It's fun to discuss either way. I still go back and forth on my lore fit, too, and my own sort of headcanon hhhh.

Are Measures any good?
Not really, though there are situational uses...

E.g. Let's say you can't give your RDM either BLM or ARC. If you gave MCN to your RDM instead, you could take advantage of your Shield and use the P-UP Fire measure to boost your Ardor + Oil damage (the highest damage spell in the game).

You'd have to be pretty DPS focused though to find them useful for buffing ... Chances are your MCN is always going to be paired with a class that wouldn't need measures to buff.

MCN/RDM is a decent combo too since you can use Arcturus + fire bullets + Oil (not relying on another character to cast it) for some pretty huge DPS during the story. ARC/RDM is better though since you can get the Flame Bow even earlier, it also hits super hard, and it not only does fire damage but it also boosts fire spells. So you can spam P-UP Fire + Ardor + Oil and use Flame Bow + Fire Arrows in between Ardors.

I don't think there's been a game begging for a remaster for as long as XII has. The fact that it was literally released alongside the PS3 in the West made it instantly dated, even though there was a full 3D open world AAA RPG hidden under the 480i visuals.

I loved it back then, but I think like a lot of people, I was holding my breath for a remaster to play it again. Like I'm pretty sure as far back as 07-08 I was thinking "they'll put it in HD eventually, so I'll wait to replay". And what a wait it was.

I think that's why so many people are rediscovering this game. A lot of us didn't touch it for years because it was hard to go back to in a decade of HD. And now it's back, polished to modern standards, and it kinda looks like one of the best RPGs you can play this gen.

It was certainly unusual timing. I remember only having a 360 at the time since the PS3 cost so much, but then I randomly saw FFXII was out in stores for PS2 when I had no idea it was even being made. Of course had to place my order immediately and dust off the PS2, but it felt odd going back to such dated visuals at the time and probably also affected my opinion of the game

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Is anything in the bestiary missable? I'm halfway through
the sandsea
and just now noticed that the mastiffs from
the Leviathan
didn't get an entry for whatever reason.

Going uber god mode. The problem is who is assigned to what. Help?

Samurai/Knight - Vaan is the best choice here, given his stats
Hunter/Breaker - Low magic class that demands high STR and SPD means Balthier
White Mage/Machinist
Black Mage/Monk
Black Mage/Red Mage
Uhlan/Time Mage

And that's all I have assigned for sure. I was thinking Ashe and Penelo as either god tier Black Mage combos, since they make the best mages. Unless someone can state a case for Fran/Basch.

Speaking of, I have no idea where to put the aformentioned two. Fran seems eligible for White Mage/Machinist since she has the highest VIT.

No idea how Basch would perform as Uhlal/Time Mage. Maybe he would be better as Hunter/Breaker and assign Balthier somewhere else.
Basch has BSH/KNI will do slightly higher damage. BSH can easily hit STR 99 regardless with almost any Job combo (Masamune I doesn't use MAG because it's classified as a 1H sword). Though even as a BSH/KNI, Basch hits STR 99/MAG 97. So the faster combo rate of Basch will result in higher DPS.

It's not a large difference but it's almost 1/10th of a second per combo, which does begin to add up over 30-60m fight.

Basch also has slightly better HP... which is a tiny almost unnoticeable advantage, but it does mean that at Critical HP, he has an almost insignificant advantage at staying alive more easily lol ;p

In practice, they're pretty much the same based on sight. Just saying, if you really crack the numbers, Basch has a very slight numerical advantage.

Balthier is probably best for SHI/FOE though, if only because he most closely can reach STR 99, VIT 99, SPD 99 without wasted >99 stats. But again, technically Basch also has a slight advantage. I saw some number crunching with 78 VIT for Balthier and 68 VIT for Basch (Genji instead of Germinas + Scorpion Tail F), and Basch was doing 46,100 DPS, Ashe 45,100, and Balthier 45,000. The others were around 40,000.

But the thing is, Balthier at 100% HP (Focus) did more than Basch at 100% HP. I can't find the data log for that ATM though... I think it was because of how Adrenaline vs Focus impact combo rates, so at Adrenaline, Basch's higher combo rate > Balthier's extra 10 VIT, but at Focus it was vice versa. Either way, both are pretty marginal... talking 2-4% differences. It's just if you really want to perfectly min-max, you'd probably give Balthier the Masamune I, and Basch the Scorpion Tail F (and then Fran the Whale Whisker N... get 3 Genji Gloves via Trial Mode and you're going to do some insane combo DPS haha).

But I still went Balthier FOE/Basch BSH because the differences are so small, and I plan on only using 1 Genji Glove (just personally don't want to take Trial items into my 'complete' game). So a FOE with Germinas Boots I think fits Balthier better (especially as SHI/FOE, and getting both SPD and VIT to 98 for either Orochi N or Scorpion Tail F).

Fuck that flowering cactoid and its 1.000 needles.

I see I also screwed myself out of a Golden Amulet by not delivering enough clams and phials of Nebralim to Dantro's wife. Ah, the pleasures of hidden quest requisites.

Top Bottom