• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Quick question : Can you obtain the 3 Quickening licenses on EACH class board, or is it just 3 across the 2 class boards?

aravuus

Oh shit son, I can manage against the near-infinite skeletons in Nabreus Deadlands. I'm gonna have to grind for a bit.

Just a bit...

Yeah, not nearly as bad as that. Already not noticing it after the first hour of playing.

I'm a bit jealous honestly. The battle menu lag is still bothering the fuck outta me.

Quick question : Can you obtain the 3 Quickening licenses on EACH class board, or is it just 3 across the 2 class boards?

First one, sort of. If you activate, for example, the Quickening license that costs 50 LP on board 1, it's also activated on board 2 if it has a 50LP license. I believe there are 50LP, 75LP, 100LP, 125LP and 150LP Quickening licenses. Some combinations might share 3 Quickening licenses, in which case you could technically activate 6 of them (the corresponding 3 on both boards).

e: fucking lusankya with their concise and precise replies and I'm just rambling like a motherfucker

jackal27

Banned
So this should be ok?:
Vaan - Shikari/Red Mage
Balthier - Machinist/White Mage
Fran - Monk/Foebreaker
Basch - Bushi/Uhlan
Ashe - Knight/Time Mage
Penelo - Black Mage/Archer

Or should I swap any of the second jobs?
This is my setup now as well haha. Still not satisfied with Balthier, but I'm just gonna blame the devs for that one, because he doesn't have incredible options and Machinist has a hard time carrying itself.

Slaythe

Let's be real, a huge percentage of people in this thread either skipped by or straight up hated FF12 back then, but now we're talking about it being a misunderstood gem etc etc.

Same will happen with 13. The latest or near latest FF always gets shat on. I remember people loving 7 but hating 8, then loving 8 but hating 9. So on and so forth.

I remember people thinking X was too big of a departure with voice acting etc.

Like I said in my first post, 13 has a LOT of good going for it. Some bad, but so does every FF.

They'll make a 13 remaster and this OT for that game will be FULL of people talking about how much they appreciate it and are enjoying it, i guarantee. You could probably trace their post history to the original release and talking about how it's the worst thing ever.

Lol this is never happening.

Ffxiii has garbage characters, awfully boring gameplay, gives 0 freedom in where to take characters or advance story and side quest for 70% of the game, pulse is an overrrated and repetitive borefest... yikes I never want to revisit final corridor xIII.

FFXii on the other hand has a huge world with tons of stuff to do. People didn't like it back then because the story felt impersonal and the gameplay was too vague for most people. I think all the improvements in Zodiac Age make the game far more compelling.

I can't see what you could change in ffxiii to make it better, since the game is bad by design.

JayBabay

I'm a bit jealous honestly. The battle menu lag is still bothering the fuck outta me.

I agree, the menu lag during battle is annoying, especially so in the beginning if you are constantly manually stealing, but I can live with it; just gotta make sure I have good gambits.

Ydelnae

Can someone explain the deal with unlocking Quickenings seemingly locking you out of certain abilities? It was brought up earlier in this thread but I can't find info about that. I picked two quickenings for Balthier and Fran already, did I mess up?

On an unrelated note, I'm finding a lot of similarities between XII and XV in the story front.
Ashe seems like a mix between Noctis and Luna's purpose in the story and Vayne seems to be pretty close to Ravus up to the Altissia incident.
I don't know if it is just me. I'm also finding the title to be more FF-spirited than what I expected. People were acting as if this could have been a new IP and the FF name was slapped on, but I don't actually feel like that.

jackal27

Banned
YES time to return to the Zodiac Age!

Oh? It's starting on Load Game? An easy fix!

*presses up once*

*cursor moves up*

...so this is how it's going to be huh. With the worst input lag since Perfect Dark Zero and Enslaved? We're doing this? We're doing THIS?

...fuck let's see how deep the lag goes...
This was EXACTLY my reaction to the title menu!! Hahaha I was worried that it was my TV, but I haven't really noticed it outside of that.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Oh I searched the thread, but didn't find anything specific, did the Diamond Armlet mechanics change in this version at all? Should I be running around with it on the party leader at all times, or will I just be drowning in a sea of knots of rust for no benefit?

Since people seem to be more interested in endlessly asking for feedback on their virtually identical job configurations I will try to answer you in that I ran into this same issue last night after having gotten the armlet from the first trial. Best as I can tell, there are some chests where wearing it will give you a rare opportunity to snag a limited item from it, but if you're wearing it and you open a normal chest, you'll basically get the rust knot every time. Since there are some chests that are meant to give you actual decent items that you won't get if you're wearing the armlet, it kinda seems like the best way to utilize it would be the same way as you needed to in vanilla--only on certain chests for certain items, and in that instance necessarily only if you're playing with a guide. Since I'm not using one and it sounds like most of the missable chest item shenanigans have been removed, I decided to just not use the armlet.

So how are people going with their team? An OP team of 3 or using them all? I usually just use 3 but on the journey north I started using a bit of everyone but having Ashe as lead always.

Kinda preferring it this way since even losing my team is no major issue with a fully geared set of reserves.

aravuus

I agree, the menu lag during battle is annoying, especially so in the beginning if you are constantly manually stealing, but I can live with it; just gotta make sure I have good gambits.

Pretty much what I've done, yeah, set complex gambits on everyone, the leader included, so I have to do minimal amount of anything manually. Sometimes I steal manually, but thanks to cursor memory I just have to tap X a couple of times to do it.

So how are people going with their team? An OP team of 3 or using them all? I usually just use 3 but on the journey north I started using a bit of everyone but having Ashe as lead always.

Kinda preferring it this way since even losing my team is no major issue with a fully geared set of reserves.

I was planning on using everyone equally, but...

O0YAc04.png

SkylineRKR

I kind of spread them out. But 3 of them are a bit ahead. I wish they would level along. Though powerleveling is usually not much of an issue in RPG if you take one low level along with stronger guys and rinse powerful enemies.

Lol this is never happening.

Ffxiii has garbage characters, awfully boring gameplay, gives 0 freedom in where to take characters or advance story and side quest for 70% of the game, pulse is an overrrated and repetitive borefest... yikes I never want to revisit final corridor xIII.

FFXii on the other hand has a huge world with tons of stuff to do. People didn't like it back then because the story felt impersonal and the gameplay was too vague for most people. I think all the improvements in Zodiac Age make the game far more compelling.

I can't see what you could change in ffxiii to make it better, since the game is bad by design.

Yeah I beat most FF more than once. But FFXIII I tried a few years ago and gave up after 3 chapters or so. Because its completely linear and there is absolutely nothing to see or explore. You have beaten it? You have seen absolutely all. You can't break it, or go for a level 1 run or something. The crystarium blocks you, the weapon upgrade system blocks you, and traveling is non existent. I absolutely don't see the point in doing a playthrough of that game ever again. Its been over 7 years now.

Ydelnae

Can someone please explain the deal with characters switching objectives back and forth every attack? I have the same setup for Balthier, Vaan and Basch but the later keeps attacking every enemy once and switches to the other one. I can't figure out what's wrong with his gambit.

You should use all six. The game lets you sub them in combat, even if the front three all get KOed at once. You can then use the remaining three characters to raise the KOed ones.

Can someone please explain the deal with characters switching objectives back and forth every attack? I have the same setup for Balthier, Vaan and Basch but the later keeps attacking every enemy once and switches to the other one. I can't figure out what's wrong with his gambit.
Are they set to Target party leader's target?
Or something like enemy with highest HP or nearest visible?

Caim

What's your setup? Might have something to do with the order its in.

Edit: Beaten.

aravuus

What's your main regular attack gambit, something like nearest foe? Cause the character will keep switching every time some other foe happens to be closer to them at the start of their "turn".

You should add "foe: leader's target -> attack" above the specific one you like to use. That way your leader will pick a target according to the latter rule (lowest hp, nearest one, whatever) and keep attacking the same one until its dead, and your team members will also attack that one.

Nerokis

Wasn't there an animation issue that caused Balthier to be the worst machinist, and Fran to be the worst archer? Was that fixed, or is it still the case?

I went with this;

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran - Archer/Red Battle Mage
Basch - Knight/Time Battle Mage
Ashe - Bushi/Uhlan
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage

I think this is good according to that Reddit post.

I did the same, and I'm seeing this combo a lot. It must be popular lol.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
First one, sort of. If you activate, for example, the Quickening license that costs 50 LP on board 1, it's also activated on board 2 if it has a 50LP license. I believe there are 50LP, 75LP, 100LP, 125LP and 150LP Quickening licenses. Some combinations might share 3 Quickening licenses, in which case you could technically activate 6 of them (the corresponding 3 on both boards).

Three across both boards. Once you unlock one on one board it will also unlock the same one on the other board.

So it's possible to unlock a good "Quickening" that doesn't lock abilities out, but lock yourself out from abilities on the other board because the equivalent could be a dud?

ryan13ts

White Mage/Uhlan doesnt have 3 swiftness, I do not recommend

See rule #4 from the reddit post for reasonings why

I took what you said and posted into account and went back to the drawing board and came up with this

Foebreaker/Shikari - Balthier
Black M./Monk - Vaan
Uhlan/Archer - Basch
White M./Machinist - Penelo
Time M./Knight - Fran
Bushi/Red M. - Ashe

I've literally been researching for 2 days (I have terrible OCD and indecisiveness, especially with choices that are final) now trying to find an optimal combo that I like personally and I think this is as close as I may get, even though there are still things about it I'm not thrilled about (Would prefer a Monk/Bushi on Vaan and Fran an Black M./Archer but I compromised for balancing sake).

How's this setup look now?

Ydelnae

Are they set to Target party leader's target?
Or something like enemy with highest HP or nearest visible?

Leader's target - Attack
Ally HP < 30% - Potion
Ally dead - Phoenix Down

He's the only character that does this, and Balthier has the same setup. I legit don't know what is wrong with him lol

Right! Raithwall is done and time to fix my jobs.

So I mainly want to play as Ashe, Balthier and Fran. My main problem now is not having any good magic, so I'm thinking I should probably cover Black Mage, White Mage and Red Mage all at once, or is that unnecessary?

Ashe: Knight + ? (I kinda want to go White Mage with her, but she's also the tank so someone else might be better to heal)
Balthier: Machinist + ? (doesn't really matter either way for him)
Fran: Time Mage + ? (she's currently side healer but would prefer to have her go straight damage if a White Mage can handle healing entirely)

Can I put all my magic users in the main group or will I have to use all six at some point?

aravuus

Oh shit son it's the Necrohol of Nabudis, here we go!

Well actually I'm not even sure what I'm doing here but still. Maybe I'll go check if I
can reach the hidden merchant.

e: looks like you can get
Protectga
here too.. Finally

Lusankya

So it's possible to unlock a good "Quickening" that doesn't lock abilities out, but lock yourself out from abilities on the other board because the equivalent could be a dud?

Rarely. Btw. you want to unlock Quickenings that DO lock out other abilities to access them.
Most boards don't lock new licences behind all four Quickenings, so in nearly all cases you will be able to unlock everything. Also there are only four different Quickenings per board, there is no 150 LP one.

Shikari is the only board where all four Quickenings lock abilities. And only some job combinations have all four different Quickenings lock abilities.

Kensuke

Right! Raithwall is done and time to fix my jobs.

So I mainly want to play as Ashe, Balthier and Fran. My main problem now is not having any good magic, so I'm thinking I should probably cover Black Mage, White Mage and Red Mage all at once, or is that unnecessary?

Ashe: Knight + ? (I kinda want to go White Mage with her, but she's also the tank so someone else might be better to heal)
Balthier: Machinist + ? (doesn't really matter either way for him)
Fran: Time Mage + ? (she's currently side healer but would prefer to have her go straight damage if a White Mage can handle healing entirely)

Can I put all my magic users in the main group or will I have to use all six at some point?

Keep in mind Knight ends up learning some of the best healing spells with the help of Espers. Machinist does well with White Mage for support and with Uhlan for raw damage.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Rarely. Btw. you want to unlock Quickenings that DO lock out other abilities to access them.
Most boards don't lock new licences behind all four Quickenings, so in nearly all cases you will be able to unlock everything. Also there are only four different Quickenings per board, there is no 150 LP one.

Shikari is the only board where all four Quickenings lock abilities. And only some job combinations have all four different Quickenings lock abilities.

Good. Time to unlock some new abilities then.

I went with this;

Vaan - Shikari/Foebreaker
Fran - Archer/Red Battle Mage
Basch - Knight/Time Battle Mage
Ashe - Bushi/Uhlan
Penelo - Monk/Black Mage

I think this is good according to that Reddit post.

I have Ashe as Uhlan/Time Mage and Basch as Bushi/Knight. I hope I don't regret having Ashe as Uhlan it is going to be odd I think.

Sidenote, can you zoom out on the minimap?

aravuus

So it's probably best to just ignore Ninja Swords 1 then, huh, and go for the more powerful options.

I feel like Ninja Swords 1 and Yagya & Mesa would actually be the best picks if you have to make the compromise. NS1 has the weakest and the strongest ninja swords that aren't Yagta or Mesa. Orochi is stronger than the NS2 and 3 swords. The latter two are also elemental (water and earth), which is something I personally try to avoid, cause I feel like they're a pain more often than not. All NS1 swords are non-elemental.

Korezo

Does the order you choose a class matter? Is shikari/foebreaker = forbreaker/shikari? Also did they add a LP cap in this game, can I learn all boxes on the board I choose?

YES time to return to the Zodiac Age!

Oh? It's starting on Load Game? An easy fix!

*presses up once*

*cursor moves up*

...so this is how it's going to be huh. With the worst input lag since Perfect Dark Zero and Enslaved? We're doing this? We're doing THIS?

...fuck let's see how deep the lag goes...

Dawg. I noticed that too. It's weird. It had me worried for how the game plays, but that lag seems to only be a thing on the menu (at least, for me).

I'm really digging this game, but it has one major issue: it's far to easy. Even without any grind, the challange is really minimal. Without using specific accessoires you are overleveled real quick. Making an easy game even easier was a mistake.

It's not the best setup, but this is what I'm gonna end up with:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Balthier: Machinist/White Mage
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Ashe: Uhlan/Time Mage

Does the order you choose a class matter? Is shikari/foebreaker = forbreaker/shikari? Also did they add a LP cap in this game, can I learn all boxes on the board I choose?

From what I understand it doesn't matter the order other than the fact you are going to have one job earlier than the other. BM and some other classes start out weaker than the other but it isn't that big of a deal.

It's not the best setup, but this is what I'm gonna end up with:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker
Penelo: Monk/Black Mage
Basch: Knight/Bushi
Balthier: Machinist/White Mage
Fran: Archer/Red Mage
Ashe: Uhlan/Time Mage

Yep, this is my exact plan. I'm playing atm but I'm still struggling if I should switch Uhlan to Basch and give Knight to Ashe. I'll probably just flip a coin.

I'm really digging this game, but it has one major issue: it's far to easy. Even without any grind, the challange is really minimal. Withount using specific accessoires you are overleveled real quick. Making an easy game even easier was a mistake.

This is my issue too. I've resorted to running away from most enemies now to avoid getting too much XP or LP. I can always just fast forward and grind if I need to at the endgame

thedan001

Can someone who is knowledgable on this explain the real differences between:

Knight/Bushi and Uhlan/Time Mage

or

Uhlan/Bushi and Knight/Time Mage

especially with DPS and abilities/esper allotments into play?

Several of us will appreciate this!

Rad-

I'm really digging this game, but it has one major issue: it's far to easy. Even without any grind, the challange is really minimal. Withount using specific accessoires you are overleveled real quick. Making an easy game even easier was a mistake.

It's fairly easy but it can be challenging at times with certain rules:

- Never use mists in combat
- Do hunts and esper fights asap when they appear (this is where the occasional challenge is)
- And obviously keep grinding to a minimum so you aren't overleveled

It's fairly easy but it can be challenging at times with certain rules:

- Never use mists in combat
- Do hunts and esper fights asap when they appear (this is where the occasional challenge is)
- And obviously keep grinding to a minimum so you aren't overleveled

I'm already doing all of this. I'm only checking every corner of the map for treasures and stuff, I'm not even farming or grinding anything. I really love the gambit system, but so many gambits are just useless because there is zero reason using them. Gambit tweaking doesn't feel as good as it should be for this reason. It's still a lot of fun, but it could be way more rewarding with more challenges.

Top Bottom