• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

PerZona

Just a question guys, I didn't realised about the big nodes and small nodes in the Crystarium system and I'm kinda screwed, I'm at Academia (4XX AF), with roughly around 11 hours into the game.

I have maxed out my Commando nodes (including the small nodes) for Noel and the Ravager nodes (also including the small nodes) for Serah and do you guys think I should continue playing or restart the game? I know the stats are quite a huge difference in the end but I pretty much owned the recent boss easily. I want to buy the Lightning DLC and it seem that my characters need to be really strong to defeat her. So what do you guys suggest? Should i restart the whole game or just continue playing it?

jimmypython

Just a question guys, I didn't realised about the big nodes and small nodes in the Crystarium system and I'm kinda screwed, I'm at Academia (4XX AF), with roughly around 11 hours into the game.

I have maxed out my Commando nodes (including the small nodes) for Noel and the Ravager nodes (also including the small nodes) for Serah and do you guys think I should continue playing or restart the game? I know the stats are quite a huge difference in the end but I pretty much owned the recent boss easily. I want to buy the Lightning DLC and it seem that my characters need to be really strong to defeat her. So what do you guys suggest? Should i restart the whole game or just continue playing it?

it doesn't matter that much. Monsters will make up for it :)

Foffy

Banned
Does anyone have tips for
the first Caius fight? The fucker destroys me once he uses that ability that buffs up his attacks and refills his HP.

The fact the game is more open than it's predecessor has returned the issue of awkward difficulty, something I absolutely fucking despise in RPGs. XIII actually did a good job of balanced difficulty until the game opened up in Pulse.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Does anyone have tips for
the first Caius fight? The fucker destroys me once he uses that ability that buffs up his attacks and refills his HP.

The fact the game is more open than it's predecessor has returned the issue of awkward difficulty, something I absolutely fucking despise in RPGs. XIII actually did a good job of balanced difficulty until the game opened up in Pulse.

Do you mean the one at
Oerba?
If so, I just used a Pulse Knight as a sentinel and beat him really easily. I think he was charging up to use that ability you're speaking of but I managed to kill him before it was used.

chri5t

Does anybody know if Target is still offering a $20 gift card with the purchase of the game?

I'm trying to look for the best deal I can get from a retail store. I don't feel like waiting for my order to ship from Amazon.

I'm confused what exactly have you done wrong?

Neil

Hmm. GAME dispatched my Crystal edition today. Bit disappointed they didn't do so yesterday. It does however have a tracking number so I'm hoping they used Parcelforce and it will arrive tomorrow.

H3xum

So
that monster carrying a fragment in Yulif (i forgot what it's actually called) in 1X. I have a feeling I'm not supposed to be fighting him yet since he debuffs like mad, but I can hang in there and stagger him twice but after the 2nd he casts doom and it's all over.
However, I oddly find myself replaying him over and over as if I don't know what the outcome will be.

I'm having fun, but I need to advance I think

Tiamant

Seriously, this thread should be called: FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Of loosing yourself in battle and rejoicing.

The battle system is a lot of fun and the pokémon capturing, while a bit random, keeps me hooked in some areas looking for new monsters. 5 hours and barely started chapter 2, this is looking guuud :D

MechaX

MED/SEN, you mean? Basically, yes. The Large Node bonuses are:

+2 Magic:
Any Ravager Level
Odd Synergist Level (i.e., from Level 4 to Level 5 would be an "odd" level).
Odd Saboteur Level

+2 Attack:
Any Commando Level
Even Saboteur Level

+6 HP:
Any Medic Level
Any Sentinel Level
Even Synergist Level

So, basically, if you want to max ATK, make sure you level Commando only on Large Nodes and all your Even Saboteur level ups are on Large Nodes; if you want to max Magic, level Ravager only on Large nodes and your Odd Synergy and Sabaoteur level ups on Large Nodes.

Or just not think about it too much and just use your Large Nodes for the role you care about.

Cool, that is pretty much all I needed to know. With how easy the game allegedly is, I might as well try to break the battle system on the way.

Does anybody know if Target is still offering a $20 gift card with the purchase of the game?

I'm trying to look for the best deal I can get from a retail store. I don't feel like waiting for my order to ship from Amazon.

From what I read on the price tag, I think the gift card deal lasts until the fourth.

Zoe

I see, I don't think I fully understand though. So your meant to only light big and small spheres alternatively or something?

I guess once I get the game it'll make more sense but it sounds like a major bug!

It's not a bug. People just want to maximize the return on their CP.

I don't think it's worth restarting for though.

Toth

I am about 6 and a half hours in and have just met
Hope
in Y. Massif 10 AF. I am having a blast with the game of course but my favorite aspect of the game so far has definitely been the world building the game promised. After 13, I wondered (like with X) how people who lived centuries under the rule of a powerful organization (fal'Cie and Yevon) would react to having their way of life completing upended. There are no 'sugar and rainbow' endings in real life when this happens so I was curious how each game would approach this aspect. Thus far,

mild spoiler alert
things on Pulse have been unsurprisingly difficult but I was very intrigued how people still desired to live on Cocoon despite the revelation of what Cocoon's purpose was. That conflict is brewing again is a fascinating tiwst.

I also LOVE the fragment history and bestiary tidbits. It is just like FF12's clan primer system of revealing more of the game's lore through defeating a certain number of mobs. It adds greatly to the experience of the world and the characters/ creatures within.

Glad to see the history of Paddra is explored so thoroughly as well :D

Protip: Be sure to talk to people with speech bubbles above their head several times. Also, watch for Noel or Serah to have a speech bubble on the field. You may learn more about their personality and drives. Did you know that Noel offers to hunt down Atlas for the Academy because
he refused to help a needy friend hunt one day in his time and said friend never came back?

desu

Also, since I plan on restarting now that I understand a bit. I imagine it's best practice to unlock MED/SYN/SAB with that first level?

Just as a note, you dont need max out your characters that way, the game is way too easy for that.

Otherwise yes, you need those roles as fillers.

Zoe

mild spoiler alert
things on Pulse have been unsurprisingly difficult but I was very intrigued how people still desired to live on Cocoon despite the revelation of what Cocoon's purpose was. That conflict is brewing again is a fascinating tiwst.

This is really the only problem I had with the plot.

jimmypython

Question then.

Is it worth investing in the RAV/COM roll upgrades when you break to the next level of the crystarium? Won't that create more big nodes?

Also, since I plan on restarting now that I understand a bit. I imagine it's best practice to unlock MED/SYN/SAB with that first level?

When finishing one crystarium it will start over with a new board and there are new big nodes. I don't think the quantity of big nodes will change but I could be wrong.

I don't know if there is a best way to unlock new roles. I unlocked Sab for Serah and Syn for Noel first. Med is the last role I unclocked since I found a healing monster is enough...this worked fine for me:)

PK Gaming

I really do think bringing back some of the older skills would ruin the balancing even more. Being able to cast Haste/stick on Auto-Haste would make the game way easier than normal. Element Guard replaces the Bar- Syn spells, so they aren't really needed. The En- spells would be great since Noel doesn't learn Fire spells early, and he only has Galestrike and Icestrike + Blizzara at the moment. Edit: I'd love it if Slow were back in, though.

Also, defeating weakened Atlas with two party members on normal mode is entirely possible, if anyone's curious. Rav/Rav and don't even bother switching to Sen (well, I was overpowered with HP in the 1000s, so Sen wasn't needed), and then Com/Sab or Com/Rav (since Serah's Rav and Sab were way stronger than her Com for me, and I was ATB-cancelling to get the job done faster). Got the 5-star trophy for it, amazingly enough.

Didn't try my hand at Strengthened Atlas because I haven't been levelling up monsters a whole lot (I'm waiting for Vitality items), and I knew that since I haven't maxed any roles yet that I wouldn't be able to take Atlas on like that. Plus I didn't want to spend anymore time in Bresha Ruins since I've experienced that place for hours, including time in the demo.

Er, actually, I haven't been leveling Sen much for the other two either. Sen is at Lv 14 for Noel and Lv 7 for Serah. Been leveling everything else but Sen, and I should really fix that.

Well the game is already pretty easy to break, so I truly and honestly think the old skills wouldn't break the game anymore than it already is. Hell, some of the old skillsets that were removed (like Slow and Curse) weren't even broken to begin. There were a few cool auto abilities that were removed too. Haste could have been a lvl 99 synergist move or something. Still thoroughly enjoying this game... its a ton of a fun.

PS: Anyone wishing for hardmode? Since i'm cruising through this game w/o grinding. I hope the difficulty ramps up.

mr. puppy

Banned
It's not a bug. People just want to maximize the return on their CP.

I don't think it's worth restarting for though.

yeah definintely. i save up CP and dump it into whatever stats I need at the moment, and I'm really not going to go hp+attack at the same time for Noel if I think that I'm either killing people too slowly or dying too quickly.

Like: If i'm not 5 starring enemies but I have a ton of HP at the end of fights, I throw it all into attack for Noel and Ravage for Serah. If I'm straight up dying in battles, I throw it all into HP without even caring about big and small spheres. Screw balanced levelling.

jimmypython

mild spoiler alert
[/spoiler]

+1 here.

laika09

Question then.

Is it worth investing in the RAV/COM roll upgrades when you break to the next level of the crystarium? Won't that create more big nodes?

The role upgrades just increase their effectiveness multiplier for all party members if it's anything like XIII -- eg, upgraded RAV bonus gives everyone an incrementally better chain bonus. The big/small nodes are a separate system.

Toth

This is really the only problem I had with the plot.

I can see why but I guess it comes down to is this:
why go live in a world full of monsters you have been taught to fear all your life when you can still live in safety on a ruined but stable world now free of any false fal Cie rule? I'm sure many people would make that choice. Plus there is probably technology there they can salvage to use. Until they built the Gran elevator, they couldn't even bring that stuff down to Pulse without a lot of time and effort.

Zoe

I can see why but I guess it comes down to is
why go live in a world full of monsters you have been taught to fear all your life when you can still live in safety on a ruined but stable world now free of any false fal Cie rule? I'm sure many people would make that choice. Plus there is probably technology there they can salvage to use. Until they built the Gran elevator, they couldn't even bring that stuff down to Pulse without a lot of time and effort.

I dunno,
things looked pretty cushy in Academia.

jimmypython

I can see why but I guess it comes down to is
why go live in a world full of monsters you have been taught to fear all your life when you can still live in safety on a ruined but stable world now free of any false fal Cie rule? I'm sure many people would make that choice.

I'm sure there will be more behind
Academia

Bladenic

So I finished Yaschas Massif 10 AF and instead of going to the next story area I went back and activated Sunleth. Um, why were people having so much trouble with the Royal Ripeness? Yes he has a lot of HP but he's not all that strong. If coming here right after Bresha Ruins, I can see it being very tough. Otherwise, it shouldn't be so bad. I mean, it took me five minutes and I got three stars, but it wasn't overly difficult. I switched control to Serah and just spammed Aero like crazy. Oh, and I didn't even have Pulse Knight, I used Noel as SEN in Delta Attack. Plus, he's susceptible to both Deprotect and Deshell. Felt good beating him, a pretty epic fight, that guy was HUGE!

Zoe

XIII was honestly the first game where I actively used Haste. I wouldn't really call it essential, and most of the battles are balanced around pre-empting.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wow.... the ending
What the hell? Come on that is so stupid? Is there going to be a third one or are they going to force us to buy DLC

Kenka

I haven't touched the game yet but I keep listening to the soundtrack as if there were no tomorrow. Awesome work from Hamauzu and his crew.

desu

Wow.... the ending
What the hell? Come on that is so stupid? Is there going to be a third one or are they going to force us to buy DLC

Congrats, so you made it :D.

But yeah, I cant wait for more people to beat the game and hopefully having similiar thoughts. It will be interesting how this turns out, since nothing is know about the future the ending leaves an even bigger soure taste ...

kayos90

Congrats, so you made it :D.

But yeah, I cant wait for more people to beat the game and hopefully having similiar thoughts. It will be interesting how this turns out, since nothing is know about the future the ending leaves an even bigger soure taste ...

Thanks! After getting the Chichu and leveling up a better healer it was much better. I'll be working on afterthough later today and tomorrow. I really enjoyed the game for what it was but it had a lot of shortcomings. I loved the characters but I felt like the cast was much smaller and therefore I felt sort of annoyed. Noel is absolutely amazing and the characterization of him and the relationship between Caius is phenomenal. I think character relationships were the best aspect of the story. The actual plot was good until you hit like episode 3. Then it turns to convoluted BS. It's really sad because they have some really good dialogue lines and they have to ruin it with cheesy lines or some temporal terminology crap. Also this game is very bipolar in a way, both in gameplay and story. The story tries to be so serious but it feels like a stupid silly comedy at times and it really ruins the experience. The same concept can be applied about the combat. Fights are stupid easy with the exception of the last boss and the miniboss in the final episode. What the hell is with that ramp up? I find that fiendishly unacceptable. All in all, good game. Pretty short, beat it in 19 hours.

Tizoc

I hope you don't mind me asking this again but-
OK just finished the 2nd area in the Histor Crux, and am off to the third one. I'd like some help with the monsters though; I'm currently using:
Lvl. 20 Hoplite (COM)
Lvl. 15 Cait Sith (MED)
Lvl. 20 Zwerg Scandroid (RAV)
Other monsters I have are Lvl. 1:
Uridmiru
Gremlin
Grachae
Meonekton
Nekton
Spicealin

How should I go about Infusing these monsters?

Oh and should I sell off my old equipment?

jimmypython

Thanks! After getting the Chichu and leveling up a better healer it was much better. I'll be working on afterthough later today and tomorrow. I really enjoyed the game for what it was but it had a lot of shortcomings. I loved the characters but I felt like the cast was much smaller and therefore I felt sort of annoyed. Noel is absolutely amazing and the characterization of him and the relationship between Caius is phenomenal. I think character relationships were the best aspect of the story. The actual plot was good until you hit like episode 3. Then it turns to convoluted BS. It's really sad because they have some really good dialogue lines and they have to ruin it with cheesy lines or some temporal terminology crap. Also this game is very bipolar in a way, both in gameplay and story. The story tries to be so serious but it feels like a stupid silly comedy at times and it really ruins the experience. The same concept can be applied about the combat. Fights are stupid easy with the exception of the last boss and the miniboss in the final episode. What the hell is with that ramp up? I find that fiendishly unacceptable. All in all, good game. Pretty short, beat it in 19 hours.

agreed!

and I know people are saying they don't care if a RPG is 20 hour long, but for me, a 20 hour mainline FF is unbearable.

I beat the game at 35 hour mark. That is because I wanted to see how many side quests I could find and finish without a guide. Right now I'm 76 hours into the game where I felt I should be dong these stuff after 100+ hour in previous FF titles (including FF13-1)...

kayos90

agreed!

and I know people are saying they don't care if a RPG is 20 hour long, but for me, a 20 hour mainline FF is unbearable.

I beat the game at 35 hour mark. That is because I wanted to see how many side quests I could find and finish without a guide. Right now I'm 76 hours into the game where I felt I should be dong these stuff after 100+ hr in previous FF titles (including FF13-1)...

How the heck did you put so many hours into it already? Did you get it early? Also, I think the length is fine. In fact I think many average consumers would find this better than XIII because of its pacing, length, and difficutly (with the exception of the last boss). Overall it's a pretty good package for normal people but enough to intrigue the hardcore because of the "abundance" of content it offers.

jimmypython

How the heck did you put so many hours into it already? Did you get it early? Also, I think the length is fine. In fact I think many average consumers would find this better than XIII because of its pacing, length, and difficutly (with the exception of the last boss). Overall it's a pretty good package for normal people but enough to intrigue the hardcore because of the "abundance" of content it offers.

I imported the Japanese version early :).

Yeah the game itself was very fun and the monster recruit system was super addictive.

This is my favorite jrpg battle system ever. Ive continued to play this game for the opposite reasons I play an RPG, the gameplay. This could have been a classic if not for the characters and dialog.

kayos90

I imported the Japanese version early :).

Yeah the game itself was very fun and the monster recruit system was super addictive.

I actually find the monster recruiting a hassle and annoying. While most monsters you can get after 2 or 3 tries. There are some that take forever and are a complete waste of time altogether.

jimmypython

I actually find the monster recruiting a hassle and annoying. While most monsters you can get after 2 or 3 tries. There are some that take forever and are a complete waste of time altogether.

There is a fragment skill to increase the chance. But even with it, the chance for getting some rare monsters is still pretty brutal..

Top Bottom