• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Meier

There is no Haste?! WTF is this shit?!!!!

That's really fucking dumb. What makes them decide stuff like this? It's just about unfathomable.

Just curious, are Noel and Serah my only PCs forever? Is it just monsters otherwise for the whole game?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This is stupid. I hate when crap like this happens in video games. The whole game is easy and the difficulty ramps up to really bad proportions at the most critical point. The hell?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is stupid. I hate when crap like this happens in video games. The whole game is easy and the difficulty ramps up to really bad proportions at the most critical point. The hell?

Use debuffs on it then break -> repeat. I had a ATK/ATK/ATK set up for that battle. Make sure you have a defender too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just curious, are Noel and Serah my only PCs forever? Is it just monsters otherwise for the whole game?

Yes with a guest/guests in some parts.

kayos90

Use debuffs on it then break -> repeat. I had a ATK/ATK/ATK set up for that battle. Make sure you have a defender too.

What were you monster pack set up? I use debuffs with Serah since I feel like having a debuff for one monster is waste of a slot?

kayos90

My record time for the lass boss is about 1 minute 50 seconds now :eek:

Just out of curiousity, did you just max level or something? Your HP is much much higher than mine. I have currently 3000 and 2900 right now.

EDIT: Also, what healer is better, the Flan or the Green Chocobo?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just out of curiousity, did you just max level or something? Your HP is much much higher than mine. I have currently 3000 and 2900 right now.

This is my secret ending run, so by the time in that video all stats and all fragments were obtained.

Cheska

What exactly determines if you "catch" a monster or not? I'm having a harder times getting some of the monsters I want in the full game in comparison to the demo.

Also, is there really any point in leveling up any of the party roles outside of the main ones? I feel like I annihilate everyone with my com/rav/monster roles.

What exactly determines if you "catch" a monster or not? I'm having a harder times getting some of the monsters I want in the full game in comparison to the demo.

Also, is there really any point in leveling up any of the party roles outside of the main ones? I feel like I annihilate everyone with my com/rav/monster roles.

Monster's base chance + 20% fragment skill chance (monster collector) when you get it + added chance from using monster sync skills in combat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
If I can do it in the Bresha Ruins, you can do it too.

ayiWP.jpg

Also, never again.

Edit: Pretty sure the Wild Thing (use 100 Feral Links) trophy is going to be one of the last ones for me...

PK Gaming

Considering the fact that this game is time based, the lack of haste (and slow /stop) is practically inexcusable.

My hope is that SE introduces more DLC FFXIII characters, like Sazh and Hope, and they come with Haste. BTW, the Lightning DLC has her army of one move as a feral link. Awesome :eek:

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Considering the fact that this game is time based, the lack of haste (and slow /stop) is practically inexcusable.

I thought Haste was granted as a bonus for striking the enemies or successfull QTEs. I must have dreamed it :D

One more day for european release!

Dunan

My hope is that SE introduces more DLC FFXIII characters, like Sazh and Hope, and they come with Haste.

The lack of Sazh is much more inexcusable than the lack of Haste.

I want a FFXIII-3 starring Sazh. He's the best character SE has created in the HD era.

Just unlocked the
alternate future

Is there a limit to the number of monsters you can carry? I made my Nekton eat a gremlin, thinking I had a limited number of monsters I could carry.

Edit: Also, late-bloomer monsters are amazing once you invest a few levels into them.

RS4-

I don't mind it at all, not having access to haste outside of initiating attacks or having a monster that does it. Aside from tonberries and bosses, all the fights end fairly quickly.

Can anyone post the actual names of the Wild Fragments and where you get them? Im trying to figure out which one I'm missing. Its one for sure, maybe two. I thought one was from the slots but that was just some random fragment I won for whatever reason.

Now I'm 0-5 on trying to tame a tonberry.

desu

Thats what I thought, the whole game was easy as piss and then suddenly all the final boss fights are extemly hard (at least compared to everything before).

desu

Can anyone post the actual names of the Wild Fragments and where you get them? Im trying to figure out which one I'm missing. Its one for sure, maybe two. I thought one was from the slots but that was just some random fragment I won for whatever reason.

Well there are 10, and one if buyable in Xanadu (Or Serependity? something in the us version).

sry doublepost

kayos90

Thats what I thought, the whole game was easy as piss and then suddenly all the final boss fights are extemly hard (at least compared to everything before).

Yup. I don't even know what to do at this point... Ugh... So stupid.

desu

Uhm SEN/COM/RAV or mixed with a MED + 2/3 MED paradigm. One more paradigm should include a SAB to to weaken the enemy. Then the usual ones like 3COM and so on. That did the trick for me, obviously you should have toooons of blood potions.

PK Gaming

I thought Haste was granted as a bonus for striking the enemies or successfull QTEs. I must have dreamed it :D

One more day for european release!

God I hope you're being facetious.

BTW, i'm looking over the old skillsets and we lost a ton of moves. Maybe they'll reintroduce em via DLC, hmrmmmm.

Cheska

Uggh, I haven't been able to capture a single new monster since leaving Bresha Ruins >.< I'm loving that aspect, but this is frustrating.

On another note, has anyone's Crystal Edition shipped from GAME? Or have you been charged at least? I think my card was charged, but it's not reflecting on their website...

kayos90

Uggh, I haven't been able to capture a single new monster since leaving Bresha Ruins >.< I'm loving that aspect, but this is frustrating.

On another note, has anyone's Crystal Edition shipped from GAME? Or have you been charged at least? I think my card was charged, but it's not reflecting on their website...

Capturing Monster is hit or miss. I don't think it's really handled well.

Diablos

This game is so much better than XIII. This is what XIII should have been. Kind of crazy it took an extra two years just to get what I'd call a "proper" FF (and it apparently isn't selling so well, not that I'd personally hold it against the game/my own experience).

For those of you who have played this game a lot, or to completion: What's the most sensible way to avoid overleveling? I'm pretty amazed at how quickly you earn considerably large amounts of CP and are able to hop along the Crystarium. The transition from being weak to strong is way too accelerated, which doesn't really strike me as making much sense since there's so much more exploration opposed to XIII.

I don't wanna break it early on if I don't have to.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it ok if I let's say keep Noel upgrading exclusively on Commando and Serah exclusively on Ravager .. how sound is this strategy ?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
(and it apparently isn't selling so well, not that I'd personally hold it against the game/my own experience).

In the east surely could've gone better. In the West? Let's wait and see. Chances are there for it to have a bigger launch than XIII, but for how long it'll sell? Whatever happens, this game is pure profits in any way for S-E.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
God I hope you're being facetious.

BTW, i'm looking over the old skillsets and we lost a ton of moves. Maybe they'll reintroduce em via DLC, hmrmmmm.
I really do think bringing back some of the older skills would ruin the balancing even more. Being able to cast Haste/stick on Auto-Haste would make the game way easier than normal. Element Guard replaces the Bar- Syn spells, so they aren't really needed. The En- spells would be great since Noel doesn't learn Fire spells early, and he only has Galestrike and Icestrike + Blizzara at the moment. Edit: I'd love it if Slow were back in, though.

Also, defeating weakened Atlas with two party members on normal mode is entirely possible, if anyone's curious. Rav/Rav and don't even bother switching to Sen (well, I was overpowered with HP in the 1000s, so Sen wasn't needed), and then Com/Sab or Com/Rav (since Serah's Rav and Sab were way stronger than her Com for me, and I was ATB-cancelling to get the job done faster). Got the 5-star trophy for it, amazingly enough.

Didn't try my hand at Strengthened Atlas because I haven't been levelling up monsters a whole lot (I'm waiting for Vitality items), and I knew that since I haven't maxed any roles yet that I wouldn't be able to take Atlas on like that. Plus I didn't want to spend anymore time in Bresha Ruins since I've experienced that place for hours, including time in the demo.

Er, actually, I haven't been leveling Sen much for the other two either. Sen is at Lv 14 for Noel and Lv 7 for Serah. Been leveling everything else but Sen, and I should really fix that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Crafty bastards gave me a 14 point achievement for 5 starring the Atlas fight. Now the OCD inside of me is going to eat at me to even it out with the 100 feral links, which will take awhile.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
How do you get the Clock Stopper trophy? The description doesn't say anything specific.

Do I need to play the Final Fantasy XIII before playing this?

I read the first game wasnt that good but this is alot better.
Just wondering if I'll be lost in the story or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
How do you get the Clock Stopper trophy? The description doesn't say anything specific.
100 consecutive preemptive strikes. If the timer runs out or if an enemy touches you, the counter resets to 0. You may save and quit between encounters in order to make the trophy feel less mentally taxing, or you can save... and reload if you mess up and run out of time/enemy touches you.

Apparently the best place is to do it in the Archlyte Steppe, but the Bresha Ruins tunnels are great for this because the robots and other enemies in the tunnels don't rush you at all.

Edit: beaten, lol.

ULTROS!

Oh wow wtf. Guess I'll grind at Bresha Ruins later. :/ Thanks.

I have no idea (and I don't want to know just yet... if it ends up being the last trophy I need I'll probably look it up then XD), but I would ASSUME it is initiating a battle without allowing the Mog Clock to move at all. I've been trying to do it for a long time now but no luck

EDIT: oh, I just read Schala's post... well that isn't hard at all! I should have that in no time :)

rataven

Small annoyance, but driving me nuts just the same - it seems every time I finish a standard battle, I start back on the map facing the opposite direction I was heading in. Every single time. WHT? I head off running again, only to realize I'm going the wrong way. Argh.

But the game is great otherwise. I love Serah. Probably because I'm making her choose all the doofy answers to the Live Triggers, but it's so fun.

Rarutos

Small annoyance, but driving me nuts just the same - it seems like every time I finish a standard battle, I start back on the map facing the opposite direction I was heading in. Every single time. WHT? I head off running again, only to realize I'm going the wrong way. Argh.

That happened to me sometimes. I always thought it was just because I had to turn around to attack the monster to get the initiative.

rataven

That happened to me sometimes. I always thought it was just because I had to turn around to attack the monster to get the initiative.

Hm, that could be it. I do always try for the preemptive strike. And Noel doesn't always swing where I want him to, so maybe that's why he's facing odd angles after the battles.

Esura

Banned
Ok, I ran into a Gigantuar by activating a stone Cactuar statue in that one field place and I can't beat it. Can I come back to it later or did I screw up by activating it too early?

Riposte

Do I need to play the Final Fantasy XIII before playing this?

I read the first game wasnt that good but this is alot better.
Just wondering if I'll be lost in the story or not.

FFXIII was more balanced and more difficult with better encounter design (player level vs monster level) and prettier. I would argue it is better, but if you are in a rush to play XIII-2 you probably won't want to touch all the sidequests which make the battle system shine. However the story between the two is hardly a problem (though some cutscenes in FFXIII-2 will lose meaning, like reintroducing old characters). The main link between FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is the mythology (just like any of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games) and that isn't explained much at all in XIII. (There is also the possibility that you'll hate both.)

Delio

Should I really go back and grab a Pulse knight? I'm in the Archlyte Steppe and found a punching monster that is filling the Sen role but I'm not sure about him. Also I got wrecked there by robots...the big one summoned like six after I killed it's cronies and it was just a sweep then. >.<

Top Bottom