• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

jimmypython

I'd like to have as much complainings as you have for the story, really, but I'm here realizing that actually the story is by far the most decent aspect of this game. I'm irritated by the whole rest: dedicating myself to the side-quests shown me how much crappy is the game-design in this game and how poor its visuals. This is not what I'm used too with Final Fantasy, that always offered me extremely polished games, with lot of dedication and attention to details. Final Fantasy XIII was one of those, XIII-2 definitely isn't for me.

Exactly!

In 13, Crystals could be seen through (Lake bresha). But 13-2, they looked white bricks to me (Sunleth).

edit. OT: I'm now looking forward to Type-0 while waiting for Versus XIII, can I expect more from that or is another broken game like this?

Type-0 has its own flaws. But I liked it way more than 13-2 and considered this as the true FF13.

However, to be fair, 13-2 is more *fun to play* than Type-0 IMO.

Platted this at 62 hours yesterday. 10 hours of which was using a rubber band on my controller for those damn slots.

I enjoyed most of it, though certain parts were shaky.

Easily better than FF13, but still hard to compare it to other entries in the series. At the very least its a step in the right direction.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having fun in Academia 500 atm.

Can't see the problem people have with it, and yeah I have gotten proto-behemoth'd too lol.

As usual with GAF Final Fantasy threads, it seems to me that people are impossible to please. Typical complaints of "its too easy" (which is true for pretty much every game in the series barring FF13 which actually cockblocked you from overlevelling) but then cries of foul when they actually die in a random encounter!

Still stick to my view that its the fluffiest FF yet (sorry but the one "dark" area still has a hilariously camp chocolina moment to dissipate any real drama), and truthfully I don't think in this instance its a bad thing at all.

FF13 was hideously overwrought, and this is the sequel its fiction deserves.

StuBurns

Banned
How long is the last chapter? I got past the first mini boss there, and am hating it, if it's a shortish chapter, I might just push thru. I've heard about a clock puzzle, and not seen one, so I'm guessing it's here and is terrible?

RPGCrazied

The most agonizing of the clock puzzles are optional. If you want all of the 160 fragments, you have to do them. I suggest the online site for that. Despite what people say, they are fucking awful.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Having fun in Academia 500 atm.

Can't see the problem people have with it, and yeah I have gotten proto-behemoth'd too lol.

As usual with GAF Final Fantasy threads, it seems to me that people are impossible to please. Typical complaints of "its too easy" (which is true for pretty much every game in the series barring FF13 which actually cockblocked you from overlevelling) but then cries of foul when they actually die in a random encounter!

Still stick to my view that its the fluffiest FF yet (sorry but the one "dark" area still has a hilariously camp chocolina moment to dissipate any real drama), and truthfully I don't think in this instance its a bad thing at all.

FF13 was hideously overwrought, and this is the sequel its fiction deserves.
I think XIII-2 is quite flawed, despite some highlights....

....but I do wonder if the FF fanbase has gotten impossible to please, too. It's like we're in the "Star Wars prequels" phase of the fandom where people are incredibly pessimistic towards everything FF related.

Obviously we'd hope that a really good, solid FF entry would turn that around (is that ever coming...?), but I wonder if the pessimism runs too deep at this point.....

I'm playing through FFV for the very first time right now... and I've mused at how much of it would be thrown under the bus were it to come out today. :p

bubnbob

Banned
The last chapter, Academia 500? It's a straight line. Get to the end (there's only one boss fight in the middle), fight final boss, see amazing ending.

....but I do wonder if the FF fanbase has gotten impossible to please, too. It's like we're in the "Star Wars prequels" phase of the fandom where people are incredibly pessimistic towards everything FF related.

Obviously we'd hope that a really good, solid FF entry would turn that around (is that ever coming...?), but I wonder if the pessimism runs too deep at this point.....

I'm playing through FFV for the very first time right now... and I've mused at how much of it would be thrown under the bus were it to come out today. :p

Standards of yesteryear are not the standards of today, so saying that is kind of moot.

So, Episode 5 and early 6 spoilers:
Damn, was great seeing Fang and Vanille again, and then Lightning again. Wished that the scene between her and Serah had been more touching though. Anyways, Im still pretty confused as to Caius' motives. But whatever, its Final Fantasy. Started a bit of the Academia 700AF and what a dumb puzzle dungeon...

I do have a concern though, there was a part where Serah was in her dream world, and she had choice between staying and ending her journey or continuing forward. Obviously I picked going forward, but in so doing, I seemed to have missed one of the endings. Is it possible to go back and redo this part?

Also, Im in desperate need of Wild Artefacets. Someone posted a youtube video with all their locations, can someone repost it? Thanks.

Thanks.

Also, im already on the
last episode
but I still have quite a few locked worlds and time periods. is this stuff for post game?

BocoDragon

Standards of yesteryear are not the standards of today, so saying that is kind of moot.

Yeah of course.

But there's this common assumption that old FFs used to have such great gameplay and amazing plots... and the new ones have turned to shit.

If the real answer is that the gaming world changed, and not that the games themselves have actually taken a dive, then the tone of the haterade should change, right? More "I've grown out of this" than "these games have gotten terrible".

But of course, I'm not saying that's how it is. Maybe they are definitively worse, etc. I'm just floating a possibility that comes into my mind as I play FFV and FFXIII-2 concurrently. They're really not as different as you'd expect. :p Lots of melodrama at the drop of a hat, with characters who are kind of one-dimensional, with plots that revolve around crystals and magic temples out of nowhere. Villains just show up and say badguy stuff and it doesn't matter. And I know we all love the Job system but it's not all that far removed from managing paradigms/monsters. It's really quite a similar mix.

burgerdog

Congratulations! Let me tell you about Tales of Graces f, then! :D

Tales of Graces' plat is really easy to get. It isn't like Vesperia's at all. A lot of the trophies are "beat this dude in 1 minute" (which is easier than it sounds, trust me), or "beat the final boss on X difficulty" (again, easier than it sounds). The only trophy I see people having a bit of trouble with due to tedium is the Gentleman's trophy, maxing the Arles Pot to 9999 points, and maybe the titles trophies (but I never had problems with those). I've seen people complain about defeating a few of the special harder bosses, but I didn't really have much difficulty against them (you get 4 trophies from defeating harder bosses).

But overall, the Graces trophies are very manageable, and easier to get than Tales of Vesperia's since there are no secret missions. Xillia's are even easier.

Londa was female.

! ^
Awesome. Vesperia has stupid achievemenrs.

I'm so bored right now I keep booting this up just for "something to do", but this game (FFV) is just SO BAD I can't stand it. The music is so fucking awful I can't stand just listening to it (Who in the hell thought that overworld music would be pleasing to listen to? What the fuck is that shit?). Everything happens so damn slow, too... you get into a battle and it's the same complaint people have about XIII-2 and to a lesser extent XIII, PRESS X TO WIN. Except it's even worse because instead of taking under 10 seconds like it would in XIII or XIII-2, it takes over 30 seconds, and it's not even fun to watch. Also, one thing I really hate about old RPGs is their stupid blue background with white text for every menu and text box.

Yeah, I probably won't be starting up that game again...

EDIT: Also, yep, I'm definitely ready for Talos of Graces F as well. I will definitely be getting it next month... I wish I had something fun to do in the meantime :(

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think the FF audience are impossible to please, I just think they're wishing for games of similar grandeur to the older games, and we're not getting them. The throw backs have been weak too, FF4-2 is crap, 4HoL is crap, maybe Bravely Default will be the one that hits and works well, but otherwise, we've not had a game that scratches that itch so far, and I think that's what's mostly irritating people.

I've played the demo for Type-0, which is not much, but I don't see it being that for people either. I'm not sure we'll see another game like that, unless we see a high profile remake or something along those lines.

I don't think the FF audience are impossible to please, I just think they're wishing for games of similar grandeur to the older games, and we're not getting them. The throw backs have been weak too, FF4-2 is crap, 4HoL is crap, maybe Bravely Default will be the one that hits and works well, but otherwise, we've not had a game that scratches that itch so far, and I think that's what's mostly irritating people.

I've played the demo for Type-0, which is not much, but I don't see it being that for people either. I'm not sure we'll see another game like that, unless we see a high profile remake or something along those lines.

Personally I'm just waiting for Versus because it caters to my personal taste, I don't care how "FF" it is or whatever because I don't even like FF as a whole, it looks like a good game on its own merit.

Fully expecting hate to shift to Versus and for XIII to be put on a pedestal after it releases though.

Goli

5* the last boss and I don't have the ultimate weapons yet. Or a beefed up Chichu :lol

I did that too. Honestly, chichu and the "ultimate" weapons are completely overrated. I platinumed the game and never used my chichu or got the ultimate weapons since I couldn't be bothered with grinding Yomi.
Also... 4 Heroes of Light is not crap.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks! :) That doesn't sound to bad. I'm all ready now for ToG F, now that I'm so done with XIII-2. Unless they give us some long DLC, which I doubt.
I got 9999 points in the Arles Pot in the Future Arc, so I don't think people will have issues with that one. It's just long and tedious.

The trophy I had the most issues with was the "Gentleman Defeated!" trophy. I wasn't on a second playthrough for it (and I'd advise a second playthrough). Sidequests/fetchquests in Graces come in the form of "inn requests" (so you get the sidequests at the inn). You will need to synthesize weapons... but these weapons have to have 'natures'. I won't explain it here, but it's so tedious in that you want to buy stuff and get drops. So you need to synthesize the weapons while taking certain 'natures' into account. The weapons may have certain natures, and then you need to combine them with pieces that have innate natures in order to get the synthesized nature. It sucks, and I think it'll be better for me in English since English requires less processing for me for comprehension, lol.

The plat may take in the range of 90-130 hours, though, depending on how you play. I loved Graces, so outside of one trophy, I didn't think much of it was a chore.

BocoDragon

It is true... despite my theory above, there is clearly some measure of great storytelling that is just not present in the XIII games*. I think if you compare it to V, they're not that different. But if you compare it to FFs VI-X, there's clearly something missing...

*(or even XII, if I'm being honest. Loved so much about that game but the story ultimately wasn't "great")

Fully expecting hate to shift to Versus....

Yup.

....and for XIII to be put on a pedestal after it releases though.

God help us all.

It is true... despite my theory above, there is clearly some measure of great storytelling that is just not present in the XIII games*. I think if you compare it to V, they're not that different. But if you compare it to FFs VI-X, there's clearly something missing...

*(or even XII, if I'm being honest. Loved so much about that game but the story ultimately wasn't "great")

I just want a FF that is decently written and isn't a corridor.

BocoDragon

I just want a FF that is decently written and isn't a corridor.

I dunno... XIII-2 is thoroughly not a corridor... and it has problems in the opposite direction. Feels like a aimless mess of free roaming environments :p

But I hear what you're really saying: it isn't that hard to get FF back on track with a great tale and a well designed world/game progression.

Aeana

Well, I think I'm not going to bother with the slots after all. I only need... I think 21000 coins to buy what I want, so I'll just stick to the races, even if they are kinda slow.

StuBurns

Banned
Personally I'm just waiting for Versus because it caters to my personal taste, I don't care how "FF" it is or whatever because I don't even like FF as a whole, it looks like a good game on its own merit.

Fully expecting hate to shift to Versus and for XIII to be put on a pedestal after it releases though.
Versus is probably the game I'm most excited about, and has been for a while (that and the Last Guardian really), but I don't know if it'll be treated like a real Final Fantasy by people. It's not like spin-off titles ever get the scrutiny or hype the main releases get, also, if it remains PS3 exclusive (don't laugh, it could happen) it won't have the mainstream exposure XIII did.

I don't hate XIII, I think it's a good game as a whole, I thought XIII-2 was better for a while, now not so much, but neither of them are amazing, I don't think XII was (in fact, I think it's bad), I didn't play XI, I played and enjoyed X-2, but wouldn't consider it awesome. It's basically been since X, which was 10 years ago, since I really felt a Final Fantasy was top tier quality. At a certain point, I think you have to question if maybe it's not the games which are at fault, maybe it's us. These games still sell very well, maybe the fanbase is still strong, and the people who bitch are no longer amongst them.

My expectations for Versus are probably a little too high as it is, and it's certain to rocket as we approach release, but if I don't really like it, I think it's about time I give up.

Aeana

Versus is probably the game I'm most excited about, and has been for a while (that and the Last Guardian really), but I don't know if it'll be treated like a real Final Fantasy by people. It's not like spin-off titles ever get the scrutiny or hype the main releases get, also, if it remains PS3 exclusive (don't laugh, it could happen) it won't have the mainstream exposure XIII did.
Considering that there is a force of people who want it to be called FF15, I'm inclined to disagree that Versus doesn't have the expectations of a mainline title.

BocoDragon

At this point... does anyone really have a Sony fanboy bone left in their body? I'd rather they just put it on Xbox to give the series as much exposure as it can get.

I don't hate XIII, I think it's a good game as a whole, I thought XIII-2 was better for a while, now not so much, but neither of them are amazing, I don't think XII was (in fact, I think it's bad), I didn't play XI, I played and enjoyed X-2, but wouldn't consider it awesome. It's basically been since X, which was 11 years ago, since I really felt a Final Fantasy was top tier quality. At a certain point, I think you have to question if maybe it's not the games which are at fault, maybe it's us. These games still sell very well, maybe the fanbase is still strong, and the people who bitch are no longer amongst them.

Yeah that's the sad truth... so much of the fanbase probably hasn't fully respected an FF game for over a decade. What a strange situation to be in. I already made the comparison above to post-prequels Star Wars fandom....

I think the series is doing just fine, financially, but I don't think this is a Sonic fanbase-type situation where the new fans actually prefer the new games. I think everyone would be better served by an entry that tells a more coherant story. It would also have the effect of growing the fanbase rather than just keeping it the size that it is. I have a feeling that each new entry draws in new fans through art-appeal, and loses just as many through gameworld and the plot not being enough to create new generations of fanboys. The world building is just broken enough, that I'm skeptical modern junior high kids are doodling XIII characters on their notebooks or whatever :p

StuBurns

Banned
Considering that there is a force of people who want it to be called FF15, I'm inclined to disagree that Versus doesn't have the expectations of a mainline title.
People want that to increase the exposure because they think it's not going to be treated like a mainline entry.
At this point... does anyone really have a Sony fanboy bone left in their body? I'd rather they just put it on Xbox to give the series as much exposure as it can get.
Ironically, I've been all for a port for a while, but seeing the diminished quality of XIII-2, now I'm staunchly against it.

So, what's the best method in tackling Serendipity to get all the coins needed for those fragments and trophy? It's the only place I haven't touched (Oerba not standing since I haven't gotten the last wild artefact).

BocoDragon

I guess you don't spend very much time on gaming forums.

Only this one. Fanboyism is generally mocked around here.

I'm sure they have GT5 vs. Forza or sales-age pissing matches, but I just can't see the modern Sony fanboy still caring about third party exclusives. That hasn't been a concern for some time, since exclusives are mostly dead.

At this point in a Sony fanboy's life, you've already long since lost FF to multiplatform.... what does it matter if Versus goes to Xbox in 2012+ :p

Aeana

I'm sure they have GT5 vs. Forza or sales-age pissing matches, but I just can't see the modern Sony fanboy still caring about third party exclusives. That hasn't been a concern for some time, since exclusives are mostly dead.

At this point in a Sony fanboy's life, you've already long since lost FF to multiplatform.... what does it matter if Versus goes to Xbox in 2012+ :p

The people around here know they can't get away with overt displays of loyalism, so they do it in other ways, like concern trolling. Loyalism is absolutely alive and well on this forum.

Anyway, yes, Versus should go multiplatform, and it probably will.

It's not even about that though, the team of Versus has been working since day one to maximize it on PS3 hardware, so even if it was ported to Xbox, it would be one crappy port.

desu

What's the trick to
Noel vs. Caius
paradox? I have no monsters :(

Annoying battle, I used blood damage skill on him until his hp was very low and I was able to actually kill him with normal attacks. Otherwise he constantly heals back and you have to start all over.

StuBurns

Banned
The people around here know they can't get away with overt displays of loyalism, so they do it in other ways, like concern trolling. Loyalism is absolutely alive and well on this forum.

Anyway, yes, Versus should go multiplatform, and it probably will.
It doesn't matter at this point though, the point of third party exclusives is to push the platform, six years in, it couldn't possibly make any difference. The only thing a Sony fanboy might wish for is a delay to PS4 and be exclusive.

Top Bottom