• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

burgerdog

I have to say that I was disappointed by the new archylte steppe. It doesn't compare to the original with all the wild life roaming about.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The people around here know they can't get away with overt displays of loyalism, so they do it in other ways, like concern trolling. Loyalism is absolutely alive and well on this forum.

Anyway, yes, Versus should go multiplatform, and it probably will.

Loyalism's pretty hard for me to grasp, at this point. I dabbled in Nintendo and Sony fanboyism in my youth, but I guess at some point you just grow up. I really hope most of these fanboys are kids or teenagers, because otherwise it's incredibly pathetic.

If you take the cost of 3-4 games and buy the "enemy" console, you'd just save yourself so much bickering, and get to play more games! XD win-win!

It's not even about that though, the team of Versus has been working since day one to maximize it on PS3 hardware, so even if it was ported to Xbox, it would be one crappy port.

Well good enough. That was the case with XIII, too. It was a crappy port on 360, but good enough for the less hardcore fans. The point is just extra sales + exposure. If you want the best FF experience, get it on PS3. I think that's what most of the hardcore players are already doing....

Reveirg

Heh, 99% sure this is a typo, but still... http://us.playstation.com/games-and...fantasy-xiii-3-opponent-lightning-amodar.html

Well, finally platinumed the game. I won't post in-depth impressions, everything's been said pretty much. I loved the game. Here's a few thoughts though...

-The "those sheeps are adorable" line from the Steppe NPC cracks me up, EVERY TIME.
-Whenever I heard "save the future, save the world", I couldn't stop thinking "but what about the cheerleader??"
-The quizzes COULD have been a nice element to the game. I mean, there's a god damn datalog to study, why not take your questions there?
-The game isn't really as easy as people say it is if you don't fragment hunt. My gf is playing through the game mostly for the story, so she avoided pretty much any side quest. The (slight episode 4-5 spoiler)
Serah vs. Caius fight is pretty much impossible on Normal
-I must be one of the only people looking forward for a FFXIII-3 now!

Goli

Heh, 99% sure this is a typo, but still... http://us.playstation.com/games-and...fantasy-xiii-3-opponent-lightning-amodar.html

Well, finally platinumed the game. I won't post in-depth impressions, everything's been said pretty much. I loved the game. Here's a few thoughts though...

-The "those sheeps are adorable" line from the Steppe NPC cracks me up, EVERY TIME.
-Whenever I heard "save the future, save the world", I couldn't stop thinking "but what about the cheerleader??"
-The quizzes COULD have been a nice element to the game. I mean, there's a god damn datalog to study, why not take your questions there?
-The game isn't really as easy as people say it is if you don't fragment hunt. My gf is playing through the game mostly for the story, so she avoided pretty much any side quest. The (slight episode 4-5 spoiler)
Serah vs. Caius fight is pretty much impossible on Normal
-I must be one of the only people looking forward for a FFXIII-3 now!
That battle is completely possible with a good SEN monster and lots of bloodwound damage.

StuBurns

Banned
Well good enough. That was the case with XIII, too. It was a crappy port on 360, but good enough for the less hardcore fans. The point is just extra sales + exposure. If you want the best FF experience, get it on PS3. I think that's what most of the hardcore players are already doing....
But Versus could be less awesome on PS3, if they know they need to do it on 360. Look at XIII-2, XIII had all it's cutscenes prerecorded, but in an effort to get the disc count down with XIII-2, now they're not, and they're far worse in terms of performance. XIII seemed uncompromized, as promised, XIII-2 is certainly not.

More sales and greater exposure are certainly a positive for SE, but ultimately, if it hurts the product in anyway, I'd rather it not happen. If like XIII is makes no difference, there is no reason not to, and I hope they do, but it's not that clear cut I don't think.

Reveirg

Reveirg, what were your levels for that battle? For me it lasted like 10 seconds but then I'm stupidly overpowered. :lol

I had a really easy time with the battle personnally. But when I tried playing it on my gf's playthrough, in which she didn't do any sidequests or grinding, it was pretty much impossible. Can't remember which level her characters were though.

BocoDragon

But Versus could be less awesome on PS3, if they know they need to do it on 360. Look at XIII-2, XIII had all it's cutscenes prerecorded, but in an effort to get the disc size down with XIII-2, now they're not, and they're far worse in terms of performance. XIII seemed uncompromized, as promised, XIII-2 is certainly not.

More sales and greater exposure, are certainly a positive for SE, but ultimately, if it hurts the product in anyway, I'd rather it not happen. If like XIII is makes no difference, there is no reason not to, and I hope they do, but it's not that clear cut I don't think.

That's true. It looks like if they are designing a game from the ground up to be multi-platform, the game suffers. I just see Versus being more like XIII in that case: a later, downgraded, multi-disc port on 360.

Aeana

But Versus could be less awesome on PS3, if they know they need to do it on 360. Look at XIII-2, XIII had all it's cutscenes prerecorded, but in an effort to get the disc count down with XIII-2, now they're not, and they're far worse in terms of performance. XIII seemed uncompromized, as promised, XIII-2 is certainly not.

More sales and greater exposure are certainly a positive for SE, but ultimately, if it hurts the product in anyway, I'd rather it not happen. If like XIII is makes no difference, there is no reason not to, and I hope they do, but it's not that clear cut I don't think.

Are we seriously going to do this again? First, it was decided that FF13 became a "corridor game" because of the 360 port, and now the 360 port is at fault for FF13-2 running poorly on PS3? Why don't we blame it on something that makes sense, like the areas being much more open, with lots of NPCs all over the place, and possibly receiving less love than FF13 did because many of the staff is now off working on Versus? The FF13 engine clearly cannot handle much of what they put into FF13-2, and they most likely already knew that - "HD towns are hard" didn't come out of nowhere.

StuBurns

Banned
Are we seriously going to do this again? First, it was decided that FF13 became a "corridor game" because of the 360 port, and now the 360 port is at fault for FF13-2 running poorly on PS3? Why don't we blame it on something that makes sense, like the areas being much more open, with lots of NPCs all over the place, and possibly receiving less love than FF13 did because many of the staff is now off working on Versus?
Or maybe, because the cutscenes aren't prerendered this time. Why did they prerender them before if there was no performance advantage? Just to force them on to a dual layer disc and cost them more money?

And there is no area in XIII-2 I've seen that's larger than the largest areas of XIII, maybe I've not unlocked them yet though.

Neki

I'm just thinking, FF13 was a little harder because you could restrict the crystarium at certain points in the game because of the linear nature of it. I'm not sure what FF13-2 could do in that regard because of the non-linear nature of it.

bubnbob

Banned
Annoying battle, I used blood damage skill on him until his hp was very low and I was able to actually kill him with normal attacks. Otherwise he constantly heals back and you have to start all over.

lawl, I forgot I had it on Normal Mode. Silly me.

I swear these are the only two fights (Noel and Serah each) I had to bump to easy. Such uneven fights.

Whoa, Lady Luck with me on this... Put the slot machine (at highest luck potential "Like a hot summer day!") on auto with 15,000 or so coins, then check it out after 45 minutes of doing other things and I now have 47,000 coins. "Serendipitous" Achievement triggered after exiting the machine.

BocoDragon

Haha. Yeah, you think so?

Based on the fact that FFXIII and XIII-2 have sold more on PS3, with a smaller hardware userbase, yeah I do. XIII ran much better on PS3, and XIII-2 ran a little better on PS3. It seems like the smarter version for the gamer who is concerned about such things. Not to mention the legacy of XIII's development on PS3, and the idea that it's the lead platform. I think it's quite fair to say that "most of the hardcore FF fans" are buying it on PS3.

burgerdog

So because the cutscenes are not prerendered the game drops frames where it matters? Gameplay? Sure.

They tried to do too much and it shows. Where the game mimics 13 in terms of area design it is on par with performance. On the other hand you have Academia 400/4XX and the consoles can't keep up.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not really sure how "blood damage" makes any more sense than wound.
I guess I would've preferred 'bleeding', since I'm used to the 'bleed' translation from FFXII (though obviously it doesn't do the same thing). Admittedly, "blood damage" isn't English, I'll agree with you on that.

I dunno. There's something about 'wound' and 'wound damage' that doesn't sit right with me. I can't put my finger on what it is, even though it kind of makes sense (since you can't close up wounds while fighting and they'll open up or keep bleeding if you aren't putting pressure on it to stop it, hence strength and vitality is decreased).

StuBurns

Banned
So because the cutscenes are not prerendered the game drops frames where it matters? Gameplay? Sure.
How does it not matter during cutscenes? What you're basically saying is it's not better to have the performance be better in an area it could because it can be bad elsewhere. I guess you could make an argument that the consistency of that is advantageous, but I'd personally rather have it be inconsistent and beneficial in any area it can.

burgerdog

How does it not matter during cutscenes? What you're basically saying is it's not better to have the performance be better in an area it could because it can be bad elsewhere. I guess you could make an argument that the consistency of that is advantageous, but I'd personally rather have it be inconsistent and beneficial in any area it can.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say, sorry. I just think it's absurd that you're blaming its poor performance because it is multiplatform. If they would have 'gimped' the engine, then it would be a steady 30fps on ps3.

I really don't understand what you're trying to say, sorry. I just think it's absurd that you're blaming its poor performance because it is multiplatform. If they would have 'gimped' the engine, then it would be a steady 30fps on ps3.

Well they gimped something because it doesn't run as smooth as it should.

I blame the short dev time mostly. Whole game feels thrown together to me.

StuBurns

Banned
No, I was only ever referring to the cutscenes. Never the in-game performance. I don't see how a second SKU would make any difference there really, possibly some split focus during polish or whatever, but there's nothing to indicate that's true or not, unlike the cutscenes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
How does it not matter during cutscenes?

Well for a start off, being non-interactive there's no issues of latency to spoil the "feel"; Besides we're used to 24fps movies, and far lower rates in the case of many animated features. So its a non-issue to most people.

Obviously the smoother the action, the more pleasing it is to the eye, but if its a talky exposition sequence there's not a lot of real difference because its all about the "performance" (be it mo-capped or key-framed) anyway.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

They tried to do too much and it shows. Where the game mimics 13 in terms of area design it is on par with performance. On the other hand you have Academia 400/4XX and the consoles can't keep up.

It's really, like, not. Compare Gran Pulse PS3 to the big grassy area in this game. It just doesn't hold up, IMO. The game almost never hits 30 FPS in the field.

StuBurns

Banned
Well for a start off, being non-interactive there's no issues of latency to spoil the "feel"; Besides we're used to 24fps movies, and far lower rates in the case of many animated features. So its a non-issue to most people.

Obviously the smoother the action, the more pleasing it is to the eye, but if its a talky exposition sequence there's not a lot of real difference because its all about the "performance" (be it mo-capped or key-framed) anyway.
Films are a terrible comparison, they have naturally occurring perfect motion blur, video games can't even vaguely approach it when they try, and XIII-2 doesn't even try. It's bad to look at, put it that way, and it didn't have to be, although, it's also not actually the fault of having a second version. They could have had the 360 version have real-time cutscenes, and prerender them on PS3 if they wanted to, it's more work, but it keeps the one disc each version. Like anything, it's never a question of the systems, it's the choices made to support them.

burgerdog

It's really, like, not. Compare Gran Pulse PS3 to the big grassy area in this game. It just doesn't hold up, IMO. The game almost never hits 30 FPS in the field.

You have to remember that the new archylte steppes is also running an effect(4 possible settings) in addition to the grass. I still think that *some* areas are doing more than 13 and others look worse and still run like poo.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
Films are a terrible comparison, they have naturally occurring perfect motion blur, video games can't even vaguely approach it when they try, and XIII-2 doesn't even try.

No its perfectly apt. A cut-scene is a short CG animation, be it rendered real-time or pre-rendered it exists solely to be watched. Its a movie.

I can get behind the arguments on frame-rate fidelity regarding interactive media, but I summarily dismiss any claim that its got any actual artistic or dramatic value.

If you reanimated Orson Welles and the cast and crew of Citizen Kane, and got them to remake it shot-by-shot in 60 fps HD it wouldn't make it a better film. It'd be a better looking version for sure, but that's not an artistic advance, its a purely technological one.

If the tech is all you care about... you're really missing the point imho.

StuBurns

Banned
If the tech is all you care about... you're really missing the point imho.
If you're watching the XIII-2 cutscenes for the acting and writing, I think you're missing the point. All it has is being pretty, and when it's running shitty, it doesn't even have that.

Based on the fact that FFXIII and XIII-2 have sold more on PS3, with a smaller hardware userbase, yeah I do. XIII ran much better on PS3, and XIII-2 ran a little better on PS3. It seems like the smarter version for the gamer who is concerned about such things. Not to mention the legacy of XIII's development on PS3, and the idea that it's the lead platform. I think it's quite fair to say that "most of the hardcore FF fans" are buying it on PS3.

Sure, whatever. But how can you possibly correlate more "hardcore" fans of the series pick up the PS3 versus the Xbox 360 version?

You can't.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
StuBurns said:
If you're watching the XIII-2 cutscenes for the acting and writing, I think you're missing the point. All it has is being pretty, and when it's running shitty, it doesn't even have that.

Its all entertainment to me. I couldn't give a toss what the frame-rate is if I'm not enjoying myself.

Kronotech

Having some trouble with the monster infusion. Can't decide when to combine. I've been planning on leveling up the early ones to max before I combine into a stronger one but it looks like that may be a waste of time and items. I want to use some of the newer monsters I keep getting.

When do you guys decide to infuse and jump to the next monster?

Neki

And whoever recommended the Flanitor as a medic, saved my life. His healing was so much stronger, and hyper rescue saved my butt so many times. If I only had the multi-target Esuna for the last boss fight, would have been even easier, lol.

So now I'm just looking at youtube vids to find the graviton cores.
nothing wrong with that

StuBurns

Banned
Its all entertainment to me. I couldn't give a toss what the frame-rate is if I'm not enjoying myself.
Absolutely, I just must be getting my entertainment out of a different aspect of those cutscenes, one that requires smooth performance. That's not to say every cutscene is messy, the majority are, but it's certainly not all.

But I do think a major reason I think XIII is better is the technical aspects of the game.

And whoever recommended the Flanitor as a medic, saved my life. His healing was so much stronger, and hyper rescue saved my butt so many times. If I only had the multi-target Esuna for the last boss fight, would have been even easier, lol.

Flanitor is a near universal recommendation for Medic. Tried to be different by not using him heh. Did switch out eventually to the similarly commonly noted Green Chocobo during the end game though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good God, the cutscene in (sidequest area spoiler)
Sunleth Waterscape 400 AF where Serah yells at the flans
is almost Star Ocean 4-calibre. I say this because the camera angles are so bad, and it ends up making the scene rather awkward. It also doesn't help that Serah's voiced by the same person who did Welch.

BocoDragon

Sure, whatever. But how can you possibly correlate more "hardcore" fans of the series pick up the PS3 versus the Xbox 360 version?

You can't.

I think I just backed it up with facts already.

More people own 360s....

...But more people buy FF on PS3. It also runs better on PS3. It was a series exclusive to Playstation for over a decade.

What else is there to argue about my statement that more hardcore FF players pick it up on PS3?

Wilsongt

I was running around Academia 4XX AF last night and marveling at how it looked. All I gotta say is, if Verses XIII's towns look a lot like that based on the year old trailer, then... :O

Then again... Versus XIII lol vaporware lol Nomura lol belts and zippers lol etc, etc, etc.

bubnbob

Banned
um... why won't Immortal spawn for me? I have it windy, and where it spawns but I dont see any giant monsters around.

edit: NVM you have to talk to the chick at the camp

Goli

Good God, the cutscene in (sidequest area spoiler)
Sunleth Waterscape 400 AF where Serah yells at the flans
is almost Star Ocean 4-calibre. I say this because the camera angles are so bad, and it ends up making the scene rather awkward. It also doesn't help that Serah's voiced by the same person who did Welch.

I thought it was very stupid, but like, stupid on purpose stupid that ended up being comedic.
Also the fragment you get made me giggle.
Emo black!

Peff

So once my silver chocobo drains its RP it'll be unable to race? Is there any way to refill the RP if so?

It's very poorly worded. Once RP is empty you just get the Chocobo back, it refills and you can use him again, but from the crappy 60 coin races. It's not permanent at all.

bubnbob

Banned
You don't have to win it in one visit.

Here's my story:

Started around 8,000 (due to purchasing coins, cashing in tickets) (goal was about 18,000)

Had shitty luck at slots, but wound up ~12,000 (+ Lucky Coin) (multiple save/reloads as well, which kicks you back to Histora Crux)

Did some farming to power up my Silver Chocobo, went back and did some racing. Wound up around 19,000 (remember, I came back with 12,000, not my initial 8,000) - achievement popped when I had to retire my chocobo.

While you will win 10,000 easily by racing in one visit, it's not mandatory. Feel free to take a break (save, have to quit, etc.) and go do other stuff, just don't spend your coins or use them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought it was very stupid, but like, stupid on purpose stupid that ended up being comedic.
Also the fragment you get made me giggle.
Emo black!
The fragment also made me lol. At least it was self-aware (sentai/power rangers stuff too)! Also, the canon ending is the
flan
ending for me! :D

Anyone have a spreadsheet or something for the bestiary entries? I've decided to do the casino stuff last because I wasn't successful last time. :/

Aeana

I really loved the
Vile Peaks questline
. I wish this game had more stuff like that.

Welp, 93 fragments. About to go through the gate in
Academia 4XXAF

Top Bottom