• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kayos90 said:
Sorry guys but what persuades you that XIII-2 made any sense. The time travel/changes/timelines and anything temporal-related doesn't make sense at all.

So long as you take the Dr Who model of "time not being linear but a big ball of timey-wimey stuff" it hangs together well enough, even if it really doesn't go anywhere.

burgerdog

Where can I get the materials for the finals weapons?

Long Gui drops the Adamantite for the strongest weapons. You also need two weapon drops, one from Ochu, another from Immortal. Yomi drops the Trapezohedron for the 6atb weapons. I was debating going for all the weapons but the atrocious loading time kept me away,

Lagunamov

Long Gui drops the Adamantite for the strongest weapons. You also need two weapon drops, one from Ochu, another from Immortal. Yomi drops the Trapezohedron for the 6atb weapons. I was debating going for all the weapons but the atrocious loading time kept me away,

I've beaten Ochu and Immortal, now I'll try with Long Gui. Thanks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You can also win Adamantite from the Chocobo races.

----

What's the word on ATB rate +XX% bonuses vs Chain bonuses? I heard they nerfed the Chain bonuses, but are the Chain bonus weapons still worth using?

Sorry guys but what persuades you that XIII-2 made any sense. The time travel/changes/timelines and anything temporal-related doesn't make sense at all. They do a horrible job of explaining, if any, and the main plot was mostly filler with the exception of the end. Go to this place, "please do something for us!" and the next place, "Please do something for us!" and on and on and on. Luckily it was episodic so it was nice but man. Plot, narrative, everything story related is average to bad. With the exception of Noel. I definitely blow him out of proportion but Noel and Caius is the saving grace in that game.

It might have a bad story, but it still makes sense. Nothing too convoluted or "my brain is full fuck" going on with this one.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It might have a bad story, but it still makes sense. Nothing too convoluted or "my brain is full fuck" going on with this one.

Uh... timeline changing and things of that nature make no sense at all. We had this discussion many pages back and it makes absolutely no sense. Also, why did Raxalpheon get banned?

hamchan

Uh... timeline changing and things of that nature make no sense at all. We had this discussion many pages back and it makes absolutely no sense. Also, why did Raxalpheon get banned?

Time travel never makes any sense. As said before, watching Dr Who really conditions you to it. Watch that show for a few seasons and you'll never take all this wibbly wobbley timey wimey...stuff, seriously again.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
firehawk12 said:
I was debating going for all the weapons but the atrocious loading time kept me away,

I'm trying to build myself an uber-Chichu, and man is it a pain in the ass collecting all the best monsters, having fun with it but I really wish a Feral link kill would give a better boost to crystal conversion... stupid tonberry...

I was looking at doing all the super weapons and hmmm, the reloading is going to suck. Oh well.

Still, maxed out chaos weapons are easily good enough to do anything you want.

Okay, SERIOUSLY NOW. Is anyone else having an insane amount of trouble "recruiting" the DLC Lightning?

I've fought Lightning and Amodar about 35 times now. I've got the Fragment Skill that raises your probability of getting monster crystals turned on, and I finish Lightning off with a Feral Link every time, usually around 290-300%. But yet, I never get her. I've even resorted to turning the battles to "Easy" just to make the fights end more quickly since I've long been strong enough to plow through the fight with no effort on Normal.

For the record, I haven't gotten Amodar either... and even though I don't care about getting him, it just seems silly that I've fought them this many times to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to raise my chances of getting her? I've done everything I can think of, and it just isn't happening... how frustrating. Blargh.

I have no problem with tough monster recruits in the game itself, but since this is paid DLC, I feel like they should join automatically once you beat them... oh well. :p

So I just starting ripping the CE soundtrack to my computer only to discover that Disc 1 is actually the first disc from the FF XI soundtrack. The rest of the discs have the correct songs on them but the names of the songs are in Japanese(but that may be normal since they included a soundtrack listing). Not really a big deal but I found it rather strange.

xion4360

Okay, SERIOUSLY NOW. Is anyone else having an insane amount of trouble "recruiting" the DLC Lightning?

I've fought Lightning and Amodar about 35 times now. I've got the Fragment Skill that raises your probability of getting monster crystals turned on, and I finish Lightning off with a Feral Link every time, usually around 290-300%. But yet, I never get her. I've even resorted to turning the battles to "Easy" just to make the fights end more quickly since I've long been strong enough to plow through the fight with no effort on Normal.

For the record, I haven't gotten Amodar either... and even though I don't care about getting him, it just seems silly that I've fought them this many times to no avail. Is there anything else I can do to raise my chances of getting her? I've done everything I can think of, and it just isn't happening... how frustrating. Blargh.

I have no problem with tough monster recruits in the game itself, but since this is paid DLC, I feel like they should join automatically once you beat them... oh well. :p

I was getting frustrated also... eventually this one time I randomly decided to defeat Amodar first and then lightning (Lightning always was first to go because of her healing capability) and luckily enough, I got her crystal. Then on the very next try, I got Amodar's crystal. I seriously doubt beating Amodar first has anything to do with it... but eyy... whatever.

laika09

It took me like 20 tries for Lightning. It's just an awful capture rate.

The fragment skill actually isn't that much of a boost, at least compared to Feral Links. Try using a Cactuar as his Link can go up to 777% (and isn't difficult to pull off).

I was getting frustrated also... eventually this one time I randomly decided to defeat Amodar first and then lightning (Lightning always was first to go because of her healing capability) and luckily enough, I got her crystal. Then on the very next try, I got Amodar's crystal. I seriously doubt beating Amodar first has anything to do with it... but eyy... whatever.

Yeah, I tried that too just for the hell of it... made the fight last quite a bit longer, and still no crystal for either of them. Meh, how frustrating...

Kronotech

A few questions:

1. What is the point of raising any levels past the point of skills? If I remember correctly, Serah learns her final MED skill in the 30's... what's the point of going any higher? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to spend points in other roles? Does a higher level = higher heals? Or is that Magic based?

I've currently got her at 99 RAV, 50 MED, and 50 SAB. Decided to start dumping points into COM. Noel is similar but with COM, SEN, and SYN.

2. Everyone is talking about Pulsework Knight/Soldier as the greatest SEN monsters. They only reach level 20 though so what's the big deal? I switched over to the Goblin SEN and his HP has already surpassed the Knight. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm also interested in the Flan SEN.

3. Are the chocobo's worth it? I just got a yellow one. I'm having trouble capturing red and purple. Are they worth it?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Just beat the game. omg. take all my money square.

I got her on my first go.

It took me like 20 tries for Lightning. It's just an awful capture rate.

The fragment skill actually isn't that much of a boost, at least compared to Feral Links. Try using a Cactuar as his Link can go up to 777% (and isn't difficult to pull off).

Ah, I'll try that then. Might as well try anything at this point! Thanks!

laika09

A few questions:

1. What is the point of raising any levels past the point of skills? If I remember correctly, Serah learns her final MED skill in the 30's... what's the point of going any higher? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to spend points in other roles? Does a higher level = higher heals? Or is that Magic based?

I've currently got her at 99 RAV, 50 MED, and 50 SAB. Decided to start dumping points into COM. Noel is similar but with COM, SEN, and SYN.

2. Everyone is talking about Pulsework Knight/Soldier as the greatest SEN monsters. They only reach level 20 though so what's the big deal? I switched over to the Goblin SEN and his HP has already surpassed the Knight. Maybe I'm missing something? I'm also interested in the Flan SEN.

3. Are the chocobo's worth it? I just got a yellow one. I'm having trouble capturing red and purple. Are they worth it?

1. Purely stats. This makes sense if you're aware of the large node bonuses for different roles. But yeah, smart move to max out abilities first.

3. They're usually the best, or close to the best, at their roles, but only at max level (they go up to 99). Takes a ton of materials to max them out. Personal taste, really, but I have a whole stable of them.

ecierif

I'm guessing Rahxephon was banned for repeatedly stating his negative opinions of MGS4 and arguing with fans in the GOTY 2008 (2012 edition) thread.

A few questions:

1. You mean aside from basic leveling and stat-raising in general? Not much, except that you get different stat bonuses depending on which roles you use to level the big Crystarium nodes, so it's best to hold off on maxing out roles that you want to save for leveling the big nodes. Even if you've learned all the abilities in a role, you still get that role's stat bonuses when you level it on big nodes. Also, you get a trophy/achievement for maxing out all of Serah and Noel's roles (raising all roles to level 99).

But yeah, I would say it's best to learn all the abilities in the various roles before trying to raise them to level 99. That way you get abilities earlier, and you have more leeway in planning which roles you want to level on the big nodes.

2. People like them because they're Early Peakers and, thus, easy to raise and use throughout the main game. They become more limited in effectiveness in the post-game, but throughout the main story, you really can't go wrong with them since they're strong enough Sentinels to handle whatever the main game bosses throw at them (though the last bosses might give them a little trouble) and they're really cheap to max out.

3. Some are, some aren't. The Green Chocobo stands alongside Flanitor as the best Medic monster in the game, and the Purple Chocobo seems to be considered one of the better Synergist monsters in the game. The Blue Chocobo is also a fairly popular Ravager. The Silver and Gold Chocobos are the best ones for racing (easy wins, especially with the Silver), and the Silver also happens to be one of the best Sentinels in the game. I don't hear a lot about people using the Red, Black, White, Gold, or standard yellow Chocobos in battle (though it stands to reason that the Gold is a pretty good Commando).

All that said, building a paradigm pack with three Chocobos is not a bad idea, because there's a passive ability that grants stat bonuses to monsters of the same type in a paradigm pack. With three Chocobos, all of their stats get boosted 30%, making for a very powerful team when raised correctly.

Definitely seek out other opinions though, I'm far from knowing everything there is to know about this game... this is just what I've learned as I read other opinions as to how best to go for the Platinum.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
For monsters I used Chichu (COM), Pulsework Gladiator (SEN), and Flanitor(MED).

Gladiator could tank anything I faced with ease, even at relatively low levels, Chichu is cheap to max out and doesn't require infusions to give impressive results, and Flanitor is all about the Feral Link. Nothing else matters because that single ability justifies his inclusion in the pack.

I'm not saying this is the best possible grouping, just that its more than enough and these are all easy monsters to get.

For the record, this is what I used through all post-game and had no problems:

RAV/RAV/COM
COM/COM/COM
SAB/SAB/SEN (mainly for Yomi)
SYN/SYN/MED
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/SEN

Kronotech

1. Purely stats. This makes sense if you're aware of the large node bonuses for different roles. But yeah, smart move to max out abilities first.

3. They're usually the best, or close to the best, at their roles, but only at max level (they go up to 99). Takes a ton of materials to max them out. Personal taste, really, but I have a whole stable of them.

1. You mean aside from basic leveling and stat-raising in general? Not much, except that you get different stat bonuses depending on which roles you use to level the big Crystarium nodes, so it's best to hold off on maxing out roles that you want to save for leveling the big nodes. Even if you've learned all the abilities in a role, you still get that role's stat bonuses when you level it on big nodes. Also, you get a trophy/achievement for maxing out all of Serah and Noel's roles (raising all roles to level 99).
Yeah I've definitely been using the big nodes for COM and RAV for Noel and Serah. Good to know the benefits really stop with the big nodes and abilities!

3. Some are, some aren't. The Green Chocobo stands alongside Flanitor as the best Medic monster in the game, and the Purple Chocobo seems to be considered one of the better Synergist monsters in the game. The Blue Chocobo is also a fairly popular Ravager. The Silver and Gold Chocobos are the best ones for racing (easy wins, especially with the Silver), and the Silver also happens to be one of the best Sentinels in the game. I don't hear a lot about people using the Red, Black, White, Gold, or standard yellow Chocobos in battle (though it stands to reason that the Gold is a pretty good Commando).

All that said, building a paradigm pack with three Chocobos is not a bad idea, because there's a passive ability that grants stat bonuses to monsters of the same type in a paradigm pack. With three Chocobos, all of their stats get boosted 30%, making for a very powerful team when raised correctly.

Definitely seek out other opinions though, I'm far from knowing everything there is to know about this game... this is just what I've learned as I read other opinions as to how best to go for the Platinum.

Thanks to both of you guys. Definitely helped give me peace of mind haha.

For monsters I used Chichu (COM), Pulsework Gladiator (SEN), and Flanitor(MED).

Gladiator could tank anything I faced with ease, even at relatively low levels, Chichu is cheap to max out and doesn't require infusions to give impressive results, and Flanitor is all about the Feral Link. Nothing else matters because that single ability justifies his inclusion in the pack.

I'm not saying this is the best possible grouping, just that its more than enough and these are all easy monsters to get.

For the record, this is what I used through all post-game and had no problems:

RAV/RAV/COM
COM/COM/COM
SAB/SAB/SEN (mainly for Yomi)
SYN/SYN/MED
SEN/SEN/SEN
MED/MED/SEN

This is helpful, thanks. I'm currently raising some better monsters because I wasn't having any trouble in the post-game (Long Gui, Ochu, Immortal, and Twilight Odin were all cake), but then hit a wall with Yomi and the Paradox Scope bosses, even with a maxed out Crystarium for Serah and Noel.

I'm definitely going with Chichu for my Commando monster, but I'm going to use Lightning as a Ravager simply because, well, it's Lightning and she's awesome. I've already been raising a Flanitor for my Medic, and I'm using the Silver Chocobo as my Sentinel. I thought I was going to need to raise a Yakshini to cover what Noel doesn't have in his Synergist role, but based on your post, I might not need to... hmm.

Question, though: how does SAB/SAB/SEN work for Yomi? Does poison eat through his stupid barrier or something? Do you just make sure he's poisoned during every one of his barrier sequences?

burgerdog

Question, though: how does SAB/SAB/SYN work for Yomi? Does poison eat through his stupid barrier or something? Do you just make sure he's poisoned during every one of his barrier sequences?
I use sab/sab/com when his shield is down. When he's immune I switch to med/med/syn or med/syn/syn depending on how much healing I have to make up for. I run sab/sab/com until deprotect and poison stick and the stagger meter hits 180%, at this point I run com/com/com. Takes me about 3:30-4:00 mins to kill.

Yeah I've definitely been using the big nodes for COM and RAV for Noel and Serah. Good to know the benefits really stop with the big nodes and abilities!

Thanks to both of you guys. Definitely helped give me peace of mind haha.

No problem, happy to help! Since you're going for a max STR/MAG build for Noel and Serah, here's another tip to help you avoid making the mistake I eventually did, just in case: once you've learned all role abilities, ONLY level Sentinel and Medic on the small nodes (since their role bonuses are only +6 HP) until they max out and reserve the others for the big nodes. Specifically:

For Noel, conserve Commando and Saboteur for the big nodes. Aside from Commando, Saboteur also provides a STR +2 bonus when leveling from an odd to an even level on a big node.

For Serah, conserve Ravager, Saboteur, and Synergist for big nodes. Aside from Ravager, Saboteur and Synergist both provide a MAG +2 bonus when leveling from an even to an odd level on a big node.

(Of course, there will be times where you'll need to level Saboteur and Synergist on a small node just to prep them for evens/odds for when you do hit the next big node. That's the exception to the above rules.)

Finally, when you do eventually use up all your respective STR and MAG bonuses, prioritize getting bonuses for each character's weaker stat (MAG for Noel, STR for Serah) instead of HP bonuses. This gives you more leeway and adaptability later in the game if you want/need to use Noel as a Ravager or Serah as a Commando, or both as Medics, etc, and +6 HP does a lot less for you in the long run than +2 STR/MAG.

The mistake I made was that I (really stupidly) didn't anticipate the fact that once I raised a role to level 99, I wouldn't be able to use that role for any more stat bonuses, so I wasted more small nodes than I'd like to admit on Commando (Noel) and Ravager (Serah). Oh well, such is life. I corrected my mistake soon enough to at least hit around 1030 STR/650 MAG with Noel and 650 STR/1030 MAG with Serah, so it could have been worse...

So yeah. The more you know and all that. :)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
MaverickHunterAsh said:
Question, though: how does SAB/SAB/SYN work for Yomi? Does poison eat through his stupid barrier or something? Do you just make sure he's poisoned during every one of his barrier sequences?

You can pretty much beat Yomi just with poison if you aren't bothered about time. Basically go as usual, then when he goes into hiding behind is shield, prebuff/heal yourself with SYN/SYN/MED setup, then switch to SAB/SAB/SEN as he comes out to try and stick poison on him. After that you can switch between normal attack/defend paradigms to speed things up a bit if you feel confident, otherwise just wear on him by spamming poison until he croaks.

I actually did Yomi with a Green Chocobo in the healer role, which is maybe safer thanks to its higher hp, but its feral link skill is kinda useless. Med/Med/Sen is always there if you need fast, heavy healing too.

I use sab/sab/com when his shield is down. When he's immune I switch to med/med/syn or med/syn/syn depending on how much healing I have to make up for. I run sab/sab/com until deprotect and poison stick and the stagger meter hits 180%, at this point I run com/com/com. Takes me about 3:30-4:00 mins to kill.

I'll try that, thanks. With that strategy, what monsters are you using?

You can pretty much beat Yomi just with poison if you aren't bothered about time. Basically go as usual, then when he goes into hiding behind is shield, prebuff/heal yourself with SYN/SYN/MED setup, then switch to SAB/SAB/SEN as he comes out to try and stick poison on him. After that you can switch between normal attack/defend paradigms to speed things up a bit if you feel confident, otherwise just wear on him by spamming poison until he croaks.

I actually did Yomi with a Green Chocobo in the healer role, which is maybe safer thanks to its higher hp, but its feral link skill is kinda useless. Med/Med/Sen is always there if you need fast, heavy healing too.

Yeah, I'm not concerned with time where Yomi is concerned... I just want the Fragment.

But thanks, I'll give it another go later tonight with these strategies in mind. Only problem is I don't have a good SYN monster raised yet, so I might need to do some prep work where that is concerned. I'll see how it goes just with what I have first, though...

Meier

So the stuff they said before I went into Academia 500 AF makes it sound like I'm about at the end of the game. Is that the case?

StuBurns

Banned
There are quite a number of gates I haven't accessed yet and I only have 55 fragments. Do most people get a large number of them after they've beat the game?
That seems to be the norm from this thread, finish it when you get there, then go back and see the rest, hunt achievements etc.

DY_nasty

What's a good late-game SEN to invest in? My Navidon just ain't cutting it.

And Yomi is brutal.

What's a good late-game SEN to invest in? My Navidon just ain't cutting it.

And Yomi is brutal.

For late-game SENs, most people seem to be partial to the Pulsework Gladiator and Silver Chocobo. I'm using the latter. If you max it out with all Vitality materials, it'll have more than 9,000 HP by the time you're done.

DY_nasty

Just beat Yomi. 5 star after 3 tries. He's a relentess mofo...

But yeah, the poison strategy works pretty well. He doesn't jump into his barrier as fast if you ease off of him. A couple of times I had him sitting about 40% off a stagger and he's allow me to heal up, rebuff, then switch to com/com/rav and let me open him up with army of one.

Nose Master

What the fuck. I had extra coins from grinding the casino achievement, and I saw the RDM hat. I used to play ffxi, so I was psyched. Bought it, thing looks stupid. It's a completely solid red hat. It looks like something you would wear for new years eve. I WANT MY MONEY BACK, TORIYAMA.

This game is a LOT better than FFXIII. Looks better, sounds better and its actually fun. Also. theyve sharpened up the battles. Like it a lot more.

The only thing is, im not clear on what Synergist/Sabateur roles do. Can someone explain this? the others look pretty easy to understand.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Long Gui is so easy in this game, the hell happened.
I guess people complained FFXIII was too hard when it really wasn't.

...the best idea would have been to implement difficulty settings rather than NERF EVERYTHING and implement only two difficulty settings.

Phat Michael said:
The only thing is, im not clear on what Synergist/Sabateur roles do. Can someone explain this? the others look pretty easy to understand.
Synergist -- Buff party with shields protecting against magic/physical attacks, or spells that enhance the characters' damage output (though monsters have access to these spells, I think).

Saboteur -- Debuff enemies with spells which can, for example, decrease Physical Defense, Magic Defense, inflict poison, increase susceptibility to elemental spells, inflict wound damage, etc.

Robin64

Started a new game because I completely messed up my silver chocobo. I didn't know then what I know now. This isn't really a problem for me as I find the game extremely fun anyway, and this time I can just start+select every cutscene.

I'm also taking using this to properly build Noel and Serah now. I say properly, what I mean is the "optimal" build that is out there. Main role only on big nodes, etc. I have to say, this has made the early game a lot harder. Last time I powered through with my 99 RAV and 99 COM, but this time they're more rounded and so fights are a bit trickier. I'm sure it's better in the long run, but this is my experience right now.

Synergist -- Buff party with shields protecting against magic/physical attacks, or spells that enhance the characters' damage output (though monsters have access to these spells, I think).

Saboteur -- Debuff enemies with spells which can, for example, decrease Physical Defense, Magic Defense, inflict poison, increase susceptibility to elemental spells, inflict wound damage, etc.

Isnt the bolded part the sentinel role? i thought Sentinels put shields up and stopped you from being damaged so much.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Isnt the bolded part the sentinel role? i thought Sentinels put shields up and stopped you from being damaged so much.
No, that's different. The Sentinel role boosts the character's M/P DEF, and defensive bonus is also passively/indirectly distributed to the other party members. You may also be referring to the Sentinel passive skill Fringeward, which reduces AoE damage by 35%. Sentinels are tanks, so they naturally reduce damage.

Synergists just actively/directly buff the characters (self and/or others) with attack (Bravery/Faith) or defensive buffs (shields like the Protect spell and the Shell spell).

Edit: Yeah, you've got it. It isn't really that complicated.
Com - physical attacker
Rav - magical attacker
Med - healer
Sen - tank
Sab - debuffer
Syn - buffer

Top Bottom