• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Nose Master

Set up my arcade stick to run in circles and mash A (on turbo) on diversity while I go to some errands. I wonder if my genius set up can beat don tonberry.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Am I free to enter the spoiler thread after beating the last boss once? Or is there some kind of secret ending after I get all the fragments?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Am I free to enter the spoiler thread after beating the last boss once? Or is there some kind of secret ending after I get all the fragments?
There is a 160 fragment ending (paradox ending), but you're not really missing anything by not seeing it. It's a minute long or so.

You can enter the spoiler thread, imo. Most people are talking about the default ending anyway.

Brazil

There is a 160 fragment ending (paradox ending), but you're not really missing anything by not seeing it. It's a minute long or so.

You can enter the spoiler thread, imo. Most people are talking about the default ending anyway.

Fuck. I was hoping for more, haha. Bring on the DLC...

DR2K

Banned
I fee like I'm playing this game wrong. Had to switch to Easy mode against Faery and some monsters were killing me in that area. Is it a matter of leveling or should I focus more on monster customization.

Nose Master

I fee like I'm playing this game wrong. Had to switch to Easy mode against Faery and some monsters were killing me in that area. Is it a matter of leveling or should I focus more on monster customization.

The difficulty in this game is weird, that area especially. You'll jump from being able to beat everything without even looking at the screen, to a decent / hard fight. The bosses are usually pretty difficult, especially when compared with the monsters before them in that area.

Are you going straight through the story, or are you taking your time and exploring? I took my time, used Wild Artefacts as I got them, explored a little... which got me so much CP that I everything in the game was incredibly easy for me except for the final bosses.

But if you're going straight through the story, I can see the bosses being pretty tough. My recommendation: level up a little, unless you already have been taking your time, and then my recommendation would be to get some better monsters. The Munchkin (Bresha Ruins, 300 AF) is a really cheap, easy Commando to max out and is fairly powerful throughout the game (more than 600 STR at max level).

Also, get a Pulsework Knight (Bresha Ruins, 5 AF) for your Sentinel. That alone makes the whole game so much easier.

Brazil

Don't run away from battles and you shouldn't have a problem anywhere.

Wow at Academia 4xx,beautiful graphics of the city and all,game is gorgeous as hell sometimes...off to find the Graviton Cores.

Quick tip, the lady who tells you the locations in Academia, the picture in the description is pretty much where the core is located, dont have to go crazy looking.

I finally beat Yomi! Thanks to all who helped me out with strategies. I didn't actually have to work too hard to win, either. Just went with a SAB/SAB/SEN paradigm to stick poison on him, and went with COM/RAV/RAV and MED/MED/SEN the rest of the time (and SEN/SEN/SEN for his whirlwind attack). I think finally recruiting Lightning, maxing her out with Potent Crystals, and replacing my crappy Circuitron with her really helped even the odds...

Now to try my luck against the paradox bosses again...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
To be honest the one fight I thought was really unexpectedly hard was Gorgyra which is a minor quest boss in AF01X Yashas... Admittedly I wasn't at my top strength when I faced it, but it was the one occasion in the game where I got doomed on every try.

lol @ difficulty spike at the end. I probably died maybe 6-7 times throughout the entire game but the final area and final bosses just annihilate me. I had to skip encounters in the final area and barely made it to the very last fight which just destroyed me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

The Faery was the hardest boss in the game for me, lol.

StuBurns

Banned
lol @ difficulty spike at the end. I probably died maybe 6-7 times throughout the entire game but the final area and final bosses just annihilate me. I had to skip encounters in the final area and barely made it to the very last fight which just destroyed me.
Same for me, game was piss easy right until the point where random fights were hard. Really bizarre.

FFXIII was balanced very well, although at the cost of limiting player progression, which I know many people hated.

Papercuts

The proto-behemoth before the last boss fight is hilarious. Even with a maxed out crystariam in all classes, he can almost one shot you. Difficulty is all over the place.

Brazil

The proto-behemoth before the last boss fight is hilarious. Even with a maxed out crystariam in all classes, he can almost one shot you. Difficulty is all over the place.

Difficulty isn't "all over the place". That one you mentioned is literally the only fight in the entire game that shouldn't be there.

RPGCrazied

proto behemoths when I first fought them was hard. They always murdered me when they stood up. That's just it, you have to kill it before it stands up.

StuBurns

Banned
Difficulty isn't "all over the place". That one you mentioned is literally the only fight in the entire game that shouldn't be there.
I completely disagree. I found it stunningly easy until the final dungeon, where it's challenging to difficult.

StuBurns

Banned
Well, ok. But that still wouldn't configure the difficulty being "all over the place".
That's true, it's not all over the place for me, it was just straight baby mode until a sudden wall pain.

Strange this was the game they decided to include an Easy Mode in, it makes it seem like Normal would be more difficult than usual. I believe Nomura said Versus was going to be tuned on the difficult side of things, hopefully it's a refined curve if that's the case.

Brazil

That's true, it's not all over the place for me, it was just straight baby mode until a sudden wall pain.

Strange this was the game they decided to include an Easy Mode in, it makes it seem like Normal would be more difficult than usual.

Even if you say that, I still found the final part of the game to be a lot less of a "sudden wall" than XIII's. Most of the encounters in the last area weren't hard at all, while in XIII you had to face some fucked up monsters all the way from the moment you get back to Cocoon to the final boss.

StuBurns

Banned
Even if you say that, I still found the final part of the game to be a lot less of a "sudden wall" than XIII's. Most of the encounters in the last area weren't hard at all, while in XIII you had to face some fucked up monsters all the way from the moment you get back to Cocoon to the final boss.
I found XIII's difficulty to be very well designed, it consistently got more difficult, but no major spikes, always felt rewarding too. Much much better than XIII-2 for me. Of course no one is going to have the exact same experience in those regards, which is what makes it so difficult to balance a game, but XIII nailed it for me.

XIII-2 felt too scared to challenge me till the end. Probably because they didn't have a twenty hour tutorial to kick it off.

Brazil

I found XIII's difficulty to be very well designed, it consistently got more difficult, but no major spikes, always felt rewarding too. Much much better than XIII-2 for me. Of course no one is going to have the exact same experience in those regards, which is what makes it so difficult to balance a game, but XIII nailed it for me.

XIII-2 felt too scared to challenge me till the end. Probably because they didn't have a twenty hour tutorial to kick it off.

What I disliked about XIII's difficulty was that, if you didn't stop in Gran Pulse to do everything you could but still managed to beat Vanille's Eidolon and the other stuff on your way out, you'd face a huge spike when you got back to Cocoon you couldn't escape from.

That game was harsh on me.

Foffy

Banned

I think the linearity in XIII worked in favor for the games difficulty. If it was hard, most of the time it was up to the player to come up with good Paradigms and strategies to overcome it, and not the usual grinding done in RPGs. At least, until you hit Pulse, and that's where the game starts having absurd difficulty spikes all over the place.

XIII-2 has less linearity, and as such, there are spots where the difficulty ramps up and it's less on strategy and more on grinding. I hated those parts of the game, and came across three or so points like that in the main story.

duckroll

I definitely agree that the difficulty in XIII-2 is "all over the place" and the balance in the game is poor. But I'm still playing it and I will reserve my comments until I beat the game. My current thoughts about the game after playing for 20+ hours is that there are many good ideas in the game, and many more well-intended ideas, but when it comes to putting several ideas together into an overall system, I feel parts of the game falls short. A lot of the blame I feel comes from the team lacking experience in implementing the sort of experience that XIII-2 is meant to be, having worked on a game like XIII for so many years before that. The shift could have been simply too great for the leads to handle in a short 2 year dev cycle.

ZenaxPure

I think the big "problem" (depending on how you look at it) with the difficulty in 13-2 is simply not capping the crystarium like in the original 13. To be fair it wasn't really their goal since they wanted to counter the claims of the game being too restrictive but it certainly made for difficulty being vastly different for everyone who played the game.

For example I personally never felt a difficulty spike in the final dungeon, normal fights lasted about 2 full charges of the ATB bar for me which is about where every other normal fight was as I went through the game.
I killed the weird twin mecha-giraffe boss in about 1 minute and 30 seconds and that was AFTER one had split because I didn't know how their mechanics worked.
Had trouble with proto-behemoth of course, but he was a jerk.

proto behemoths when I first fought them was hard. They always murdered me when they stood up. That's just it, you have to kill it before it stands up.

I managed to defeat the first proto behemoth I fought after it stood up, but the next one I encountered beat me. It was a tough fight.

The final boss battle took me 27 minutes, and there were a couple of moments where I was down to one character with almost no HP, but I didn't die against any of the last bosses. There were some tense moments, though.

needless to say I gave up on the final boss and opted to go back and do some sidequesting. up to 115 fragments now. although I don't really know what I could do to get strong enough to fight the last boss. each character has 3-4 roles maxed out. I haven't really been paying much mind to the monsters, so perhaps therein lies my weakness.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Just got to Academia, I am liking the game so far.

The game is a much better experience for me than the previous game, it is too bad that the story is totally incomprehensible and the music is not as memorable.

Papercuts

By "all over the place" I more meant it's easy when it shouldn't be, hard at random points, then easy again.

I thought the Faery was a really hard boss out of nowhere, I barely beat it despite 5 starring every fight in that area(and beforehand). Then it stays easy until an insane spike at the end, where the last boss took me 22 minutes to beat. I'd imagine some of the post game content would be hard, but it's all really easy again. The big fights in the Steppe were especially disappointing aside from Yomi, but he's more annoying as hell to fight instead of outright hard. Rasputil is the only thing after the last boss that I actually prepared for.

I actually like the game a lot more than FFXIII regardless. Barthandelus in the first game nearly made me quit.

I will say that the cutscenes revolving around the final boss battles were pretty fucking awesome, and the final boss track is just incredible.

Danj

How do you solve the Tile Trial for
the Control Device Password 2 in Bresha Ruins 300AF
? None of the FAQs tell you how to solve it, and it's not a random spawn like the clock puzzles are.

Code:
Map of puzzle that I am talking about:
[spoiler]
                     R 
                     R 
                     R 
                     R 
 Rb      Rb  R   R  [W]  R   R 
 W  [W]  W   R       R       R 
     W       R   R  [R]      Ra
[R]  W   Ra      R   R   R   R 
                 R 
                 R 
                 R 
                 R 
[/spoiler]

R indicates red tiles that you can only walk on once, W indicates white tiles that you can walk on twice or wait on, square brackets indicate a fixed location crystal and the small letters indicate crystals that move between the two squares marked with them. You start at the bottom, need to collect all crystals and get up to the top.

Overall, I had an easier time, difficulty-wise, with XIII-2 than I did XIII, but I much prefer its difficulty curve over that of its big brother. I encountered a good dozen or so times during the main story in XIII that practically forced me to ragequit for days on end. :/

Then again, I'm an odd gamer who generally prefers easier games over harder ones, so what do I know? xD

Hello everyone ..just a quick question

i have a monster ( com ) that i maxed out but i still have one of his habilities with a lock .. when i try to infuse this monter into another ( stronger (COM )), i obviously can't but what did i do wrong ?

Quick guess is it that i used wrong item to level him up ? ( or is it an extra requirement that i'm not aware of ? )

Autofokus

Hello everyone ..just a quick question

i have a monster ( com ) that i maxed out but i still have one of his habilities with a lock .. when i try to infuse this monter into another ( stronger (COM )), i obviously can't but what did i do wrong ?

Quick guess is it that i used wrong item to level him up ? ( or is it an extra requirement that i'm not aware of ? )

You can't infuse red-locked passive abilities, no matter what level or materials used. If you want that ability on your new monster, you need to find a whole different one with the same ability, but unlocked.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Danj said:
How do you solve the Tile Trial for...

Basically what you need to do is work out a viable route to the gate and time your journey so that all the crystals that warp point-to-point will end up along that path at some time. Then just carefully time your walk along the route to collect them all. Unless you collect all the gems entering the gate will simply restart the puzzle.

Its sometimes not clear which gems move from where, to where, so what you need to do is a bit of trial and error at first to observe which gem once taken eliminates which two tiles. You should also be able to discount a few that are in positions that simply cannot be reached safely.

Just don't forget that a gem cannot ever warp onto your current position, so if you one know one can appear on the next tile along you'll have to wait until it appears to advance. So although there's never a disadvantage to collecting a gem, you might want to to hold off momentarily if taking it will leave you stuck on a red tile long enough for it to collapse.

Other than that, just remember that you can stand on white tiles as long as you like (great for observing from, as well as doubling-back over) as you can with the initial single column of red tiles where you start from.

Danj

Basically what you need to do is work out a viable route to the gate and time your journey so that all the crystals that warp point-to-point will end up along that path at some time. Then just carefully time your walk along the route to collect them all. Unless you collect all the gems entering the gate will simply restart the puzzle.

Its sometimes not clear which gems move from where, to where, so what you need to do is a bit of trial and error at first to observe which gem once taken eliminates which two tiles. You should also be able to discount a few that are in positions that simply cannot be reached safely.

Just don't forget that a gem cannot ever warp onto your current position, so if you one know one can appear on the next tile along you'll have to wait until it appears to advance. So although there's never a disadvantage to collecting a gem, you might want to to hold off momentarily if taking it will leave you stuck on a red tile long enough for it to collapse.

Other than that, just remember that you can stand on white tiles as long as you like (great for observing from, as well as doubling-back over) as you can with the initial single column of red tiles where you start from.

Thanks for the tips. I managed to solve rounds 1 and 2, but am stuck again on round 3 as there is a much larger quantity of moving crystals:

Code:
Map of round 3 of Tile Trial for [spoiler]Bresha Ruins 300AF Control Device Password 2[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
        R         
        R         
        R         
Rx      R       Ry
W   Ry  R   Rx  W 
   [R]  R         
R   R   W   Wx [R]
R      [R]      W 
R   Ry  R   Ry  Rx
        R         
        R         
        R         
        R         
[/spoiler]

Same coding as before except that the small x and small y characters denote the grouping of four crystals that move (they all move at once, so not possible to tell which one goes to which location.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
On that one if I remember right there are 3 key points:

First of all ignore the upper left corner, its a dead-end. Both those gems move into positions on the right.

There are two white squares in the middle, you need to wait on the first then only move when a gem materializes on the right one of the pair.

There's a white square in the top right. This is on the path to the exit. You grab the gem above it then double back over it and if you've done everything correctly the final gem(s) will be on the path to the exit (move left, then exit up).

This was for me the second hardest puzzle of the type, there's one in Oerba 400 thats even worse though!

Kronotech

What monster upgrade items are best for SYN, SAB, MED, and SEN monsters?

SEN, I've been using HP items.
SYN,SAB I've been using Mag and Potent
MED Potent and Mag mix.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
so I'm at th end of the game and these final bosses are kicking my ass.

where are the best places to do some level grinding?

What are your levels?

You could try going for the 4 "bosses" in Yasasch Massif.

Finally got my platinum trophy! The official guide's strategy to get the 99,999 damage trophy is bullthit. PS3trophies.org has a MUCH better and faster one.

Ricker

Quick tip, the lady who tells you the locations in Academia, the picture in the description is pretty much where the core is located, dont have to go crazy looking.

Oh cool thanks,I watch all of it but just wrote down the locations...I`m still right near her and that guy that wants you to find all the monsters in the game,saved and quit right after.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally got my platinum trophy! The official guide's strategy to get the 99,999 damage trophy is bullthit. PS3trophies.org has a MUCH better and faster one.
Congrats! :D

My Giant's Fist trophy came out of nowhere when I was fighting
Twilight Odin
. I think Noel must've used Smite, even though the Break Gauge wasn't even at 999%, and his STR was only around 800. @_@

What did the guide say to do? I had a friend with the XIII CE guide and it gave the dumbest and most inefficient strategies for some of the late-postgame battles ever because all they did was rely on one party over and over without switching it up much... so I'm not surprised if the XIII-2 guide gave some silly strats.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, I really don't know if I like the game or if I hate it. I've spent so much time building the ultimate Lightning because some of the monsters are just impossible to drop. I don't think I could do it again for the Chichu.

But, other than leaving a Chocobo running around for a few hours, I've plat'ed the game. Didn't think I'd do it, but there it is. lol

RPGCrazied

Long Gui is the place to get the Giant's Fist trophy. It's how I did it. 3 Power wrists bands. Buff up, take out legs, debuff him, rav/rav/rav him until he staggers to 999%, then go all com/com/com. When its about to end, use Noel's Meteor Throw. Bingo.

duckroll

Okay, I completed the entire optional Bresha Ruins side episode (100 AF and 300 AF) and I'm convinced FFXIII-2 is one of the best comedy RPGs ever. They should really have marketed it as the game it actually is, instead of the game the marketing department wanted it to be. :p

Top Bottom