• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

duckroll

The start of the game and the ending sections obviously received more attention than the others, you can especially notice it in cutscene direction and spectacularity in general. That is the Final Fantasy I've come to love in the past; what comes in between not much.

The last few sequences in FFXIII-2 almost feel like an entirely different game in some ways imo.

The entire fight with Chaos Bahamut followed by Caius while standing on a floating airship flying over the night skyline of a city below seemed heavily inspired by some of the scenes of Versus they showed last year in the 6 minute trailer.

The cutscenes where Noel fights Caius are also significantly more detailed in motion and storyboarding compared to any other cutscene in the game. It's really odd because the motion actually felt exciting, which is more than I can say for most of the cutscenes throughout the game.

Mostly from people who track these kind of things on various boards. Until SE comes out with figures, nothing is concrete yet, just guesstimations.

What kind of people? Tracking what kind of things? On which boards? :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The last few sequences in FFXIII-2 almost feel like an entirely different game in some ways imo.

The entire fight with Chaos Bahamut followed by Caius while standing on a floating airship flying over the night skyline of a city below seemed heavily inspired by some of the scenes of Versus they showed last year in the 6 minute trailer.

The cutscenes where Noel fights Caius are also significantly more detailed in motion and storyboarding compared to any other cutscene in the game. It's really odd because the motion actually felt exciting, which is more than I can say for most of the cutscenes throughout the game.

I felt that way too.
That final QTE was actually a pretty good moment.

duckroll

Gamfaqs, IGN, Magicbox, VG24/7, BG (huge FF11 board), etc. Again there's no concrete numbers yet.

I'm going to be nice and just tell you that the "numbers" most people throw around are probably from a site which is banned here because they make up shit. :p

Toth

I'm going to be nice and just tell you that the "numbers" most people throw around are probably from a site which is banned here because they make up shit. :p

Why that's true that people may use bleepbleep.com, people and threads that I saw on those boards were all using different numbers but were still all around the same ballpark. So....yeah, we need to wait for SE's official release.

I did hear (was it here?) that the Lightning battle DLC was the most downloaded PSN item last week.

duckroll

I did hear (was it here?) that the Lightning battle DLC was the most downloaded PSN item last week.

Yeah, PSN actually has a Top10 ranking for most popular downloads. We don't get numbers though, other than the number of user ratings on PSN indicating the minimum it sold, since you have to buy to rate.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Exactly, I made some comparisons like that in some other thread before, they obviously have been inspired by Versus in regards to that, consciously or not. And the result it's pretty exciting if you ask me. Like I just said, the opening and the ending sections are way more impressive visually, technically, and in cutscene-direction in general. I think that happened in the past too (at least for the opening parts, can't say the same for the ending's ones), but here the difference is almost amplified; like you said, those almost appear to be part of different games, or I could say, developed by different staff members (like maybe Tri-Ace directly developed certain parts, and staff at S-E did some other) or in different key time of the production schedule, with more time to dedicate on it not being in the final rush stages - or perhaps just a wise decision to give the game a rocking start and end with a limited budget at disposal. Can't really say, but the difference is there all over the place. No doubt.

edit.

I think Serendipity is the worst location in FFXIII-2.

Seredendipity it's SO ugly I couldn't trust my eyes. They really must have inserted it at the last minute, because it's almost embarassing technically and even stilistically. Plus there's practically no content, so also unuseful. But the others areas too, while not so extreme, suffer from a similar problem, continuously passing from locations that obviously got more attentions(like
Valhalla - and it's so unfortunate we didn't get the chance to explore that -, New Bodhum 5AF and 700AF, Breasha Ruins 5 AF, Accademia ect.
) to others bland and empty at best (
Bresha Ruins 300AF, the area around the place where Hope's researches take place, the Dying World ect.
).
Square Enix managed to develop this game in a little more than one year and half but... I don't know if that's really an achievement overall, because the differences in general quality between games developed on long dev. cycles like XIII before and this last one are pretty big.

Toth

There was this weird thread on Gamefaq from someone which apparently detailed the DLC schedule and even described what characters would join and what the overall content was. Now, I know to be VERY careful of Gamefaqs threads but the strange thing is that the thread itself was deleted. I never saw threads get deleted there, especially the obvious trollbait threads that are everywhere. The DLC it talked about sounded quite phenomenal actually but until we see the first post Lightning DLC, I'll have to err on the side of caution.

For those who are curious,
1. 5 DLC Episodes with Leviathan, Ultima, and Anima Eidolin fights
2. Can recruit Hope, Sazh, 'Paradox' Vanille and Fang, Snow, and Serah returns to life as a l'Cie, Yuel as a guest character in battle.
3. Option of a Crystarium reset
4. final DLC would be a battle to recruit Valhalla Lightning to fight for you.

Fake or not, I'd sign up for it :D

duckroll

I think Serendipity is the worst location in FFXIII-2. Out of all the areas in the game, it feels the most unoptimized, it has the laziest design, and it's just... generally all round disappointing and doesn't meet even the bare minimum standard set by all the other areas in the game. It's really unfortunate, because it's also the area where they wanted to use to show that they could have a Golden Saucer type area in the game too, but instead it's even worse than the Nautilus in FFXIII. :/

There was this weird thread on Gamefaq from someone which apparently detailed the DLC schedule and even described what characters would join and what the overall content was. Now, I know to be VERY careful of Gamefaqs threads but the strange thing is that the thread itself was deleted. I never saw threads get deleted there, especially the obvious trollbait threads that are everywhere. The DLC it talked about sounded quite phenomenal actually but until we see the first post Lightning DLC, I'll have to err on the side of caution.

For those who are curious,
1. 5 DLC episodes with Leviathan, Ultima, and Anima eidolen fights
2. can recruit Hope, Sazh, 'Paradox' Vanille and Fang, Snow, and Serah returns to life as a l'Cie, Yuel as a guest character in battle.
3. Option of a Crystarium reset
4. final DLC would be a battle to recruit Valhalla Lightning to fight for you.

Unfortunately this sounds totally fake. It doesn't even match up with what we know about the upcoming DLC schedule. We know they have DLC planned until May. The Sazh episode is at the end of this month, next month they will be releasing another Coliseum boss battle, and that leaves April and May for at most 2 more boss/story DLC. We know one of them is the "larger scale" Lightning story DLC they're working hard on now. So that doesn't really leave room for many others. Fan fiction is fun, but reality is often very different.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
In the UK FFXIII-2 was number 1 on its launch week with 54/42 split in favour of PS3, this last week it dropped to 2 (under Kingdoms of Amalur) with a 48/47 split in favour of 360.

Figures are from the usual reliable sources GFA/Charttrack and via the Guardian's gaming blog.

duckroll

In the UK FFXIII-2 was number 1 on its launch week with 54/42 split in favour of PS3, this last week it dropped to 2 (under Kingdoms of Amalur) with a 48/47 split in favour of 360.

Figures are from the usual reliable sources GFA/Charttrack and via the Guardian's gaming blog.

Do we have Fifa %s to estimate numbers from those yet?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
duckroll said:
Do we have Fifa %s to estimate numbers from those yet?

I'll just leave the links for folks to look over rather than add in my interpretation.

FFXIII-2 Week 1

FFXIII-2 Week 2

Only thing I can really say is that I've not seen a single copy of the MGS collection on shelves for either platform since its come out... just ridiculous.

My country sucks.

desu

There was this weird thread on Gamefaq from someone which apparently detailed the DLC schedule and even described what characters would join and what the overall content was.

Where is Jihl on that list? I also know of a DLC that has yet to be announced officially and its not on the list at all, its content pattern (its not a character fight) doesnt fit with the list either ;).

That scene you just mentioned is probably one of my favourite cutscenes for a while actually, in any game. The direction, the animation, the music and the emotion from Noel was stunning I thought. Loved it. Loved the whole end section to be honest. Shame the rest of the game wasn't like that.

StuBurns

Banned
The end is certainly the best part of the game, but it's not some mind blowing leap or anything. It's very similar to the start really.

Go_Ly_Dow

Academia is one of single most detailed locations I've seen in a RPG. I didn't really notice many similar assets from XIII either, so I found the location to be really impressive.

I was thinking the same thing :lol

I think Serendipity is the worst location in FFXIII-2. Out of all the areas in the game, it feels the most unoptimized, it has the laziest design, and it's just... generally all round disappointing and doesn't meet even the bare minimum standard set by all the other areas in the game. It's really unfortunate, because it's also the area where they wanted to use to show that they could have a Golden Saucer type area in the game too, but instead it's even worse than the Nautilus in FFXIII. :/

They should have just copy/pasted Nautilus and implemented all the mini-games in to that, instead of creating a new area.

In XIII, Nautilus was a huge tease, since there was no interaction at all, but it was extremely well polished and pure eye candy.

I think Serendipity is the worst location in FFXIII-2. Out of all the areas in the game, it feels the most unoptimized, it has the laziest design, and it's just... generally all round disappointing and doesn't meet even the bare minimum standard set by all the other areas in the game.

i just reached it last night and i felt disapointed out of all the places it's really a big disapointment ...i was expecting something bigger .
Call me spoiled but i don't see why i have to pay more for the card game..
The last rpg i finished was Yakuza4 ...( stuffed with extra content ) so here it feel like they want to take more of my money.

In fact i was coming into this thread to complain about it ..but everyone seems to feel like me so ...

Toth

Unfortunately this sounds totally fake. It doesn't even match up with what we know about the upcoming DLC schedule. We know they have DLC planned until May. The Sazh episode is at the end of this month, next month they will be releasing another Coliseum boss battle, and that leaves April and May for at most 2 more boss/story DLC. We know one of them is the "larger scale" Lightning story DLC they're working hard on now. So that doesn't really leave room for many others. Fan fiction is fun, but reality is often very different.

The main thing that raised an eyebrow was that the thread was deleted. It was very odd, even for Gamefaqs. I should also mention that the episodes were mentioned as expansions, more than simply DLC.

duckroll

Academia is one of single most detailed locations I've seen in a RPG. I didn't really notice many similar assets from XIII either, so I found the location to be really impressive.

I wonder if tri-Ace worked on Academia. The overall visual look reminds me a lot of Star Ocean 3:

so3_0813_1_640w.jpg

enix13_640w.jpg

I wonder if the Ultimanias say anything about it...

Go_Ly_Dow

I wonder if tri-Ace worked on Academia. The overall visual look reminds me a lot of Star Ocean 3:

At first I thought it was just Eden 2.0, but after refreshing my mind on youtube on that segment in XIII I cant really see much similarity between them.

That Proto-behemoth/Schrodinger (lol@name) mob is always entertainingly tough. Even those cats can hold out under some punishment. Captured and renamed a proto to "Warhorn" but it will take a lot of upgrading to get him like the spawned one.

desu

I skipped that fight by retrying and retrying and retrying until I reached the edge and jumped to the next platform and never looked back.

Same, it sure gets easier with a defender/sentinal. However after noticing how strong it was I just avoided them until later in the game.

Goli

so3_0813_1_640w.jpg

enix13_640w.jpg

It does sort of look like that, but when I first came into Academia 4XX AF the first thing I tought was "Final Fantasy VIII's Esthar in HD".
Captura%20de%20pantalla%202012-02-19%20a%20la(s)%2016.58.08.png

Captura%20de%20pantalla%202012-02-19%20a%20la(s)%2016.55.15.png

Seriously, the end section was amazing to me. I still haven't beaten it yet, but the last string of bosses and the last few cutscenes I saw were pretty great.

Up to 132 fragments now. Trying to Platinum it within the next few days so I can move on to Twisted Metal.

Ricker

You couldn't really run around in Star Ocean 4 in the look a like Academia if I recall though...in XIII-2,first time I got there,I thought no way will I be able to explore all this but then I started running around and was amazed how far I could go...pretty cool stuff.

raven777

I just started, played about 2hr30 min to beat to get to the historia crux menu.

So far it is nice. I agree with some people that visual is not as good as XIII, but it still looks great.

The only thing I didn't like so far was the rap battle music on the first boss. It really didn't seem to fit the game.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Set wasn't the best word to describe it since there isn't an entire fragment section dedicated to
Caius
but if you look at the fragments for
Dying world
and some of the
Yaschas Massif ones you learn a lot of his history. Essentially was a war hero and was given the heart of etro so he could protect Yuel forever. Also explains (or rather doesn't explain) where he got the name Ballad and why he can use Bahamut.
Ah, yes. I was thinking I missed something entirely!

Adamm

So ive got around 140 fragments, but ive got 2 places left to unlock - but ive got no Wild fragments left.

Im assuming I didnt something in the wrong order, because im almost sure I didn't miss anything.

Its probably easier to buy them anyway than trying to work out how I missed one =/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What's funny to me is that XIII was the hardest FF game in years, whereas XIII-2 is the opposite and pretty much the easiest since VIII. I think if they can hit the sweet spot between the two with a second sequel, it should be about perfect for me.
Mmm... I guess that's why I found XIII-2 to be easy. I didn't think XIII was difficult outside of the Guis' AI unpredictability, but I guess it's a your-mileage-may-vary thing on that. I think I started to realize that I play games differently from other people, especially since I try selecting harder difficulties first...

Sunleth paradox ending = ROFLMAO. LOL. Comedy RPGs are the best. They definitely should make more, since they're more entertaining than serious JRPGs these days.
Nice to see duckroll acknowledging the best ending in this game. :D

Its probably easier to buy them anyway than trying to work out how I missed one =/
You can only buy one of them at Serendipity, and I know what you mean. I had to find a list of all the places that had wild fragments, and then go back to all of them to find the ONE that I missed. Pain in the butt. The one I missed was in the Clearwater Marshes, on a platform below the edge of the cliff where the water falls into the abyss (ie: where the plains stop). I didn't even see that when I went through there the first time. :/

Droplet

Holy shit the shaky elevator fights in the tower gave me motion sickness. I can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea.

Just noticed that I haven't noticed any screenshots of Vanille. Is she in this game? I never finished the original, but she was my favourite character.

Wow. Really liked the ending. It was... different, and I can honestly say I did not expect it.

Anyway, what exactly is the function of the
Paradox Scope? I got that having it activated changes stuff, but it was kind of cryptic about it

Top Bottom