• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ZenaxPure

I wonder if there's more to this background story element.

To that specific story line, or in general? Because there are a lot of fragments that give background story info about events and characters. There is an entire set that explains
Caius' history along with why he has the heart of etro
and
a bunch revolving around the members of team NORA
, along with my absolute favorite,
a bunch of background info about where Mog came from and his hilarious/sad adventures traveling through the void beyond and eventually Valhalla. Poor guy.

Nose Master

Lol. Got the achievement mob in Oerba 400 first shot while running down there to get some chests. :3. 124ish fragments. I need to find a list of the rare monster spawns.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wait till you see the Arcadia 4XX paradox ending. :)
I want a sequel to that ending. That should be DLC. :p

To that specific story line, or in general? Because there are a lot of fragments that give background story info about events and characters. There is an entire set that explains
Caius' history along with why he has the heart of etro
and
a bunch revolving around the members of team NORA
, along with my absolute favorite,
a bunch of background info about where Mog came from and his hilarious/sad adventures traveling through the void beyond and eventually Valhalla. Poor guy.
Wait, which one goes into
Caius'
storyline? I don't remember that one.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I like to pretend the paradox ending at Academia 4XX is the canon ending. Best ending ever.

StuBurns

Banned
I played the first couple of hours of XIII today, and it really made me think less of this game. It was kind of obvious it looked, and ran worse, but it's practically every aspect of production which is weaker. XIII had the polish I associate with the series mainline entries, XIII-2 really feels more b-tier, despite I think being a more enjoyable experience often. If there is a XIII-3, I really hope they give it the requisite time and money to bring it up to XIII quality.

RPGCrazied

To be fair, XIII was in development for what... 4 - 5 years? XIII-2 came out in like a year or less. If it had another year at least in development, it could've benefited greatly.

StuBurns

Banned
XIII-2 had more than a year, like two years, it also had all the tech already built, most of the assets done, it should be about the same I would think.

desu

To be fair, XIII was in development for what... 4 - 5 years? XIII-2 came out in like a year or less. If it had another year at least in development, it could've benefited greatly.

XIII had 2 preproduction phases. Actual development was around 2 years (according to the huge development report I read in an cgworld issue, they had a time scale in there too). XIII-2 apparently was around 18 months, with most assets and stuff done. However according to one of the interviews they didnt really create too much concept stuff due to time constraints. A year more might have helped it, but I am sure most of the stuff that annoyed me would still have been in there.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PS3 ファイナルファンタジーXIII-2 スク・エニ 797,986

360 ファイナルファンタジーXIII-2 スク・エニ 12,993

Current sales LTD in Japan.

Go_Ly_Dow

Don't really care about the decrease in CGI and Pre-rendered cutscenes, but hopefully they get the framerate stable again if they do a XIII-3.

Oh, and one thing that was disappointing about XIII-2 was how the sky boxes were a huge downgrade compared to XIII:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28927671&postcount=156

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28927856&postcount=161

It was one of the key things that brought the wow factor in XIII's visuals, but for some reason in XIII-2 they just weren't as detailed. Found it strange, since they reused so many of the same areas and assets.

neoism

so what is the total so for 4mil+?

duckroll

Production values are not really related directly to how long it takes to make a game. A lot of other factors come into plan, including the size of the team, and who that team is made up of. FFXIII-2 definitely has lower production values and less polish compared to FFXIII, even if a lot of the design is more varied, and there is more thought put into the scope of gameplay and level design.

StuBurns

Banned
Production values are not really related directly to how long it takes to make a game. A lot of other factors come into plan, including the size of the team, and who that team is made up of. FFXIII-2 definitely has lower production values and less polish compared to FFXIII, even if a lot of the design is more varied, and there is more thought put into the scope of gameplay and level design.
But the team is the same as XIII no?

duckroll

But the team is the same as XIII no?

The entire team? No. A lot of the leads in the core team are the same, but even there we see several notable people not being involved at all or not being involved in the same capacity. Instead the main programmer takes double duty as main game designer as well, and the battle programmer also has double duty as the battle director.

Considering how they even had programmers, level designers, battle planners, and modelers/etc from tri-Ace helping with the game, it's clear that they were stretched internally. Don't forget, there's a giant albatross that's still in the building. I think it's called Versus something. Lol.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Man, I wonder if this game will crawl up to 1m (well... For the PS3 version) if they release a complete version.

StuBurns

Banned
The entire team? No. A lot of the leads in the core team are the same, but even there we see several notable people not being involved at all or not being involved in the same capacity. Instead the main programmer takes double duty as main game designer as well, and the battle programmer also has double duty as the battle director.

Considering how they even had programmers, level designers, battle planners, and modelers/etc from tri-Ace helping with the game, it's clear that they were stretched internally. Don't forget, there's a giant albatross that's still in the building. I think it's called Versus something. Lol.
Is it the same cutscene director/s?

I knew TriAce worked on it, I thought it'd be more of an asset building army type situation, because SE's were busy with said albatross.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What's funny to me is that XIII was the hardest FF game in years, whereas XIII-2 is the opposite and pretty much the easiest since VIII. I think if they can hit the sweet spot between the two with a second sequel, it should be about perfect for me.

I'd also add that XIII-2 has very obviously been put together on relatively small budget for a FF title, to the extent that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was in profit already just from the Japanese sales. Its a perfect example of asset reuse.

What's funny to me is that XIII was the hardest FF game in years, whereas XIII-2 is the opposite and pretty much the easiest since VIII. I think if they can hit the sweet spot between the two with a second sequel, it should be about perfect for me.

I'd also add that XIII-2 has very obviously been put together on relatively small budget for a FF title, to the extent that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was in profit already just from the Japanese sales. Its a perfect example of asset reuse.

Basically.

StuBurns

Banned
I thought XIII was the most difficult FF for a very long time (since Tactics if you count that I guess), but I don't think it was too hard, I think they got it just right.

ZenaxPure

Wait, which one goes into
Caius'
storyline? I don't remember that one.

Set wasn't the best word to describe it since there isn't an entire fragment section dedicated to
Caius
but if you look at the fragments for
Dying world
and some of the
Yaschas Massif ones you learn a lot of his history. Essentially was a war hero and was given the heart of etro so he could protect Yuel forever. Also explains (or rather doesn't explain) where he got the name Ballad and why he can use Bahamut.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Replaying XIII now, every fight seems over-long after XIII-2. Which isn't all bad as it shows off the tactical aspect of the combat engine, but you rarely feel mad powerful in quite the way that XIII-2 and older FF's do.

The big revelation for me though is that XIII-2 really shows how irrelevant big "summon" spells have become. This used to be such a signature for the series and yet I can't think of a single comment about XIII-2 bemoaning their absence.

duckroll

Is it the same cutscene director/s?

I knew TriAce worked on it, I thought it'd be more of an asset building army type situation, because SE's were busy with said albatross.

Some of the cutscene designers are the same. The lead cut scene director is different. The animation director for cut scenes is the same though. In general it's a smaller cut scene staff compared to XIII. 5 guys instead of 10.

Mario007

Some of the cutscene designers are the same. The lead cut scene director is different. The animation director for cut scenes is the same though. In general it's a smaller cut scene staff compared to XIII. 5 guys instead of 10.

So basically, what I'm getting from all this is that the team got smaller in order to help out the Versus team to finalise the game. Kinda like the versus team helped out at the start of FF XIII's production?

ZenaxPure

Replaying XIII now, every fight seems over-long after XIII-2. Which isn't all bad as it shows off the tactical aspect of the combat engine, but you rarely feel mad powerful in quite the way that XIII-2 and older FF's do.

I've been replaying 13 myself over the past month or so and I feel similar to the mindset that fights last far too long. I am about halfway through the game and the average normal fight takes at least a minute unless it's a group of Gremlins or something silly like that.

More than anything it's shown me how polished the combat is in 13-2 and personally I like it a bit more. I had forgotten how many useless buffs were in 13 and how poor the AI was at using them, for example Sazh constantly gives Vanille Bravery before putting a single buff on himself despite the fact it's useless for Vanille. Also I feel very naked without the ability to set up paradigms for focus/wide/normal, there is nothing more annoying than having a NPC use a single target attack when 1 aoe spell could potentially one-shot an entire group of enemies (such as those silly Gremlins). It slows combat down too much.

It's really weird because overall despite parts of 13-2 being easier than 13 I feel like 13-2s combat is more demanding with paradigm shifts and a lot more fun as a result.

duckroll

So basically, what I'm getting from all this is that the team got smaller in order to help out the Versus team to finalise the game. Kinda like the versus team helped out at the start of FF XIII's production?

I don't really think we can say for sure yet, since Versus still doesn't exist. It's possible, or they could be on other projects. The main point is the XIII-2 is game which is made with less people and in a shorter time.

Ricker

I hope it's the same overall numbers for N.A.(split evenly probably,or a little more for the PS3 version)...I 'm really liking this game.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't really think we can say for sure yet, since Versus still doesn't exist. It's possible, or they could be on other projects. The main point is the XIII-2 is game which is made with less people and in a shorter time.
Do we have budgets for XIII or XIII-2? I've read them for VII, X and XII, so I guess SE have discussed that kind of thing before.

Toth

I agree with this but I must say the
opening sequence and finale from Academia 500
on were very high quality. Especially the
battles over the cities
. It was quite awesome.

Toth

I hope it's the same overall numbers for N.A.(split evenly probably,or a little more for the PS3 version)...I 'm really liking this game.

Last I heard was that game is almost at 2 million WW, if not already. Split was around 70/30ish.

elysianalartist

Neo Member
Is lightning a better ravager than blue chocobo/cloudburst? After researching a bit there seems to be very different opinions on who is the best ravager.

ULTROS!

I'm assuming FFXIII had three types of character models (like FFX): in-game, cut-scene (much cleaner and has more detail than the in-game ones), and CGI. Does FFXIII-2 use only in-game and CGI models?

duckroll

Sunleth paradox ending = ROFLMAO. LOL. Comedy RPGs are the best. They definitely should make more, since they're more entertaining than serious JRPGs these days.

Oh and Lightning DLC = FUCK OFF. I must have fought her over 10 times now, and NO crystal. But I beat Omega just ONCE, and I get him! Wtf! Also, Omega fucking rocks. For no reason other than the fact that he's huge and I can still put a wizard hat on him, and it's HUGE too! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

StuBurns

Banned
I'm assuming FFXIII had three types of character models (like FFX): in-game, cut-scene (much cleaner and has more detail than the in-game ones), and CGI. Does FFXIII-2 use only in-game and CGI models?
I believe so, the in-game cutscenes are real-time this time around, so they probably couldn't use the better models.

I'm playing XIII right now, and Hope just said "hell on Earth", I don't know what idiot translated this game.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I agree with this but I must say the opening sequence and finale from Academia 500 on where very high quality. Especially the battles over the cities. It was quite awesome.

The start of the game and the ending sections obviously received more attention than the others, you can especially notice it in cutscene direction and spectacularity in general. That is the Final Fantasy I've come to love through years; what comes in between those parts, didn't make much of an impact on me.

Top Bottom