• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

one85x

The Fragment of Invincibility is from Immortal, the requirements for the quest are: Defeat all three Gigantuars and speak to the Hunter outside the Chocobo pen in the Nomad Camp. If you decide to begin the side quest directly afterwards, you may need to exit to the Historia Crux and return to trigger Myta's request. Hope this helps!

guys what is this... I have the big cactus, but she will not talk to me.... :(
It should be the girl that's right next to the warp in spot that gives you that quest. She's surrounded by sheep when it's raining.

jimmypython

Next issue of famitsu will feature an interview with Nomura. Although mainly for the upcoming KH3D, it is still possible to have some info for VersusXIII...(Press conference please..)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Might as-well post my impressions of the game - starting everything of by saying wow.

I hyped the living crap out of this game so I was pretty much setting myself up for a disappointment. It's not. Although the gameplay is slightly worse than its predecessor, I find everything in XIII-2 a lot better. Caius is a villain I hated at start but grew to love and now he's one of my favorite FF-villains (his theme song helps a lot!). Speaking of music, I was really expecting the soundtrack to suck but boy was I wrong. This isn't hyperbole, I swear: I think it's the best soundtrack this gen - no joke. Every theme song is REALLY good and the fact that almost every "overworld"-song has two versions of it makes it brilliant. I love every part of the soundtrack.

Needless to say, I found the ending interesting - but I also love these types of endings. AMAZING game, didn't disappoint at all. A GotY-contender without a doubt.

edit: I also loved the clock puzzles for some reason...

Kronotech

So what are you guys pumping into your SYN monsters? I've been using Potent materials but should I be using Magic? Does SYN benefit from Magic? Really wish they would tell you which materials benefit which roles...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So what are you guys pumping into your SYN monsters? I've been using Potent materials but should I be using Magic? Does SYN benefit from Magic? Really wish they would tell you which materials benefit which roles...
I've just been giving my SYN (Yakshini) health so that he can buff the crap out of the group without needing to heal

PK Gaming

If Versus doesn't have any sort of showing soon, I'm more worried about Lord Nomura-sama saving himself, before he saves anyone else. :p

Versus was announced 6 years ago right?

I was in bloody junior high when it was announced. I'm in university now, and pretty soon i'll be living on my own.

Fffffffffeh.

Yoshichan

Yeesh, how many times did it take any Lightning buyers to get her crystal? I'm coming up on 20 tries and NOTHING.
Got a 610/610 (?) on my second try <,<

Diablos

It's to the point where I'm not even that excited for Versus anymore. It's practically the Duke Nukem Forever of JRPG's. There's no guarantee that it will even be good! And even if it is, does it justify such a long wait? I sincerely doubt it. So silly that for all these years we are riding a hype train based on merely assumption provided by a very narrow set of details. AFAIK, it's basically a Kingdom Hearts 1 + FF hybrid. Might prove to be crap, might prove to be amazing, might just more or less be a HD Crisis Core. I don't know. I do know that I didn't like Kingdom Hearts much when I played it on PS2.

The best thing about Versus so far is without a doubt the art and overall style, imo. It reminds me of FFVII, in a good way. But that alone does not make a good game. I'm sure the OST will be amazing as well.

I love XIII-2, and while I haven't had much time lately to finally finish it, I think it's getting too much hate. That said, I can't pretend that Square-Enix hasn't made a lot of mistakes over the past few years. It's very troubling. FFXIII was far too streamlined, did way too much hand holding, and, to me, reeked of being incomplete despite taking so long to come out. FFXIII-2 is selling like crap, probably because so many people were turned off by XIII. People are starting to lose faith in Versus not only being good but actually surfacing. It's just all quite silly.

Frankly, if Versus gets delayed yet again they might want to consider making it a first-gen title for Xbox 720/PS4... I used to say that jokingly but it might actually be a good idea now.

cj_iwakura

I really haven't seen XIII-2 getting much hate, outside of backlashes to the insane ending.

I enjoyed XIII anyway, so YMMV. I'm fairly confident Versus XIII is coming. I just don't know when. But that last trailer implies they've at least got a good idea of where it's going, and the gameplay does look fun(assuming it stays that way).

Also, god that trailer looks good in HD.

Yoshichan

I really haven't seen XIII-2 getting much hate, outside of backlashes to the insane ending.

I enjoyed XIII anyway, so YMMV.
That's probably because no one played the game :p

RedAssedApe

Banned
From Silent Hill: Downpour OT

Yeah. Not a big fan of the cameos

6f00238da7918f56b92295e287eaacf15f52ac5a.jpg

mAcOdIn

I gotta say, I think this game's a 6 out of 10. I've finished it and frankly it never lived up to the promise I believe it initially had.

just finished the secret ending ...

The game is a solid 8/10

Would have been a 9.25/10 if they just stopped at
Serah death .. She would have been a tragic heroine , caius would have fought for what he believed after seeing countless yeuls and noel might have gone on a journey to find "his" yeul ... Cocoon would had been saved ..everything would have been perfect ..and they still could have done another game afterwards if they wanted ...

If not for that part the game has been trully enjoyable... not perfect but enjoyable.

NOw all i'm missing is "big hitter" for my plat

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
If they stopped at "that", like you suggest, the plot would turn incoherent at best. The entire game you're told what will happen if you do a "certain" thing, and you say it'll be better if while telling you that at every turn, in the end the ending itself should've just ignored that to give you a cheesy happy ending?

I'm glad they did what they did. That ending was so good for me that justified all the crap that came before it.

If they stopped at "that", like you suggest, the plot would turn incoherent at best. The entire game you're told what will happen if you do a "certain" thing, and you say it'll be better if while telling you that at every turn, in the end the ending itself should've just ignored that to give you a cheesy happy ending?

I'm glad they did what they did. That ending was so good for me that justified all the crap that came before it.

i though the point of travelling was to prevent that "certain" thing to happen..
it's why they travel.. prevent a castastrophe and a bad future by preventing an unprepared fall of cocoon.
I mean the future was already in "death mode" since the start ( otherwise noel wouldn't be there ) so i'm asking for them to change this.
The future is dead , so if you act the future is dead ? If you do nothing , caius ( throw cocoon at the ark , or cocoon fall by itself ).. i fail to see a story where everywhere you go ,everything you try lead to the same result.

And ending games on such a note without a real chance that we get a end ( or sequel ) is something that disapoint me a great deal.

Perfo

i though the point of travelling was to prevent that "certain" thing to happen..
it's why they travel.. prevent a castastrophe and a bad future by preventing an unprepared fall of cocoon.
I mean the future was already in "death mode" since the start ( otherwise noel wouldn't be there ) so i'm asking for them to change this.
The future is dead , so if you act the future is dead ? If you do nothing , caius ( throw cocoon at the ark , or cocoon fall by itself ).. i fail to see a story where everywhere you go ,everything you try lead to the same result.

And ending games on such a note without a real chance that we get a end ( or sequel ) is something that disapoint me a great deal.

Maybe you didn't get the plot, but
they weren't trying to protect the Goddess, just to save the people of Pulse from the fall of Cocoon. That's exactly what they achieve, thanks to changing the future they help Hope creating a new artificial Cocoon where people from Pulse can seek repair. And they do, they save the future and the people with it. There's one little problem in there: Caius had other plans. There are pratically two endings mixin' up in there, the good one with Serah's dying where the new Cocoon and the people in it still lives - basically the reason why the journey started - and the one that follows where Chaos spread out from Valhalla - something no one expected and so no one tried to evade. What's bad about this? It's bad just if you don't want XIII-3 I guess.

cj_iwakura

I honestly think after playing Sazh's DLC that (ending spoilers)
this really is an Empire Strikes Back ending, and we've got one awesome Return of the Jedi esque finale coming up. Things are really dark now, but many events still imply(if not outright say) that there is still cause for hope. Nothing is over yet.

desu

I honestly think after playing Sazh's DLC that (ending spoilers)
this really is an Empire Strikes Back ending, and we've got one awesome Return of the Jedi esque finale coming up. Things are really dark now, but many events still imply(if not outright say) that there is still cause for hope. Nothing is over yet.

I guess thats how it was planned, but with the super shitty sales ...

Perfo

I guess thats how it was planned, but with the super shitty sales ...

"Shitty sales" should be around 1,5 million worldwide, I don't think they have any problem letting a secondary team develop XIII-3 while being busy with more important projects. You know, Tri-Ace is always there to give an hand.

You should be able to get it when trying to the Long Gui (debuff, buff).
Well i got it ..debuf , buff weren't enough .. i had to use 3 powerwrist to get a +30% strenght

Maybe you didn't get the plot, but
they weren't trying to protect the Goddess, just to save the people of Pulse from the fall of Cocoon. That's exactly what they achieve, thanks to changing the future they help Hope creating a new artificial Cocoon where people from Pulse can seek repair. And they do, they save the future and the people with it. There's one little problem in there: Caius had other plans. There are pratically two endings mixin' up in there, the good one with Serah's dying where the new Cocoon and the people in it still lives - basically the reason why the journey started - and the one that follows where Chaos spread out from Valhalla - something no one expected and so no one tried to evade. What's bad about this? It's bad just if you don't want XIII-3 I guess.
Well what i am referencing is the first part of that plot ...And as you said it's achieved in this game ..the second part with caius was presented and explained too but it's a dumb move to give me the choice to forgive him or not if i'm forced to watch the rest afterwards.
For me the caius parts were "just ok" i enjoyed them more trying to prevent a bad future.Caius having other plans is obvious ... I didn't say that it was bad in that sense ...just that they didn't cut it properly IMO ( if they plan to do a sequel )

The state they were ( full of hope ) after caius death was too much .. and serah dying after witnessing the next future was IMO perfect .. however the 20 seconds afterwards were unnecessary (IMO) it wouldn't have been a good ending anyway because ( lightining ? snow ? fang & vanille ? , etro ? new protector ? ) everything is in a mess. i wouldn't count that as a good ending at all.

Yoshichan

Well i got it ..debuf , buff weren't enough .. i had to use 3 powerwrist to get a +30% strenght
Haha, yeah I have that equipped at all times so :p

edit: also, spoiler tags.

To change those 20 seconds in the ending all the plot related to Caius' should've been different though. And Caius is the best thing in that story...

Why change ? Just cut it and use it afterwards if you plan to do a sequel..

i'm not asking for a change i'm asking for them to leave it for later that what they should have done IMO.

Anyway what's done is done..i just think it's bad to leave people on such an impression ..at least there is the to be continued but still ...

Yoshichan

If they cut and then use it afterwards, we'd get dozens of pages full of "retcon garbage!"
This.

R_thanatos, you still haven't fixed your spoilers :)

Lightning

Banned
Does the difficulty of these puzzles decrease the more you fail?

Especially with the randomised clock numbers where at the start I get hard numbers with too many 6 and 5 numbers but as I fail I get more 4 and 3 numbers and in the end no 5 or 6 numbers anymore?

Diablos

Final boss fight question:
I get owned by Tetraflare every time. WTF? How do I even survive this?

edit: Well, nevermind that. I wasn't using wound potions at first and didn't have a paradigm set up properly... this is a tough battle. Need to level a COM role just a bit more...

Final boss fight question:
I get owned by Tetraflare every time. WTF? How do I even survive this?

edit: Well, nevermind that. I wasn't using wound potions at first and didn't have a paradigm set up properly... this is a tough battle. Need to level a COM role just a bit more...

I was going to say, it got me the first time as well. Wound Potions + 3x Sentinel is what you do.

Kesagiri

Has anyone else noticed the song playing in the Colosseum (The Book of Prophecies) is very similar to Bjork's All Neon Like?

Check it out:

Book of Prophecies: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2j1yUGCQZY
Bjork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ilSJvY928-Y#t=27s

Every time I hear the song in the game I keep thinking I'm going to hear the beat from Bjork... lol. The backround ambience stuff is very similar.

So does that mean that we get to fight and recruit Bjork in our party too? Awesome.

I've played a couple hours and...I think I like it way better than its predecessor.

It's like Assassin's Creed all over again (which I immensely enjoyed the 2 compared t the first I loathed)

jimmypython

Just bought Jihl Nabaat DLC. file size is 16MB.
She is tough! She can summon various monsters including a behemoth and use multiple stats attacks; Her special move is strong too..I am still in the battle now....I think it's gonna be a long fight...

update1: My RAV/COM/RAV+ RAV/RAV/RAV are useless. Her stagger gauge moves super slowly...

update2: err..I'm dead.....have to put some serious thinking on the strategy for it.

edited to mention: my party members are lv 99 (all roles) Noel+Serah, lv.13 Lightening, lv.99 gold chocobo and a lv.45 SEN monster..

I thought it might be at the same level as Lightning DLC so I didn't pay much attention. It turned out I was totally wrong..

Top Bottom