• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Wow, I tried the slot machine fragment and taped down the auto button and it broke my xbox. I left with 5000 coins and I came back later the day with 4000 and a frozen xbox. Now it freezes 5 minutes into any game. Last time this happened was when I kept spamming Tidal Wave in ToV. My 360 just doesn't like JRPG farming.

If they ever release a directors cut of this game, I'll get it for PS3.

Wow, I tried the slot machine fragment and taped down the auto button and it broke my xbox. I left with 5000 coins and I came back later the day with 4000 and a frozen xbox. Now it freezes 5 minutes into any game. Last time this happened was when I kept spamming Tidal Wave in ToV. My 360 just doesn't like JRPG farming.

If they ever release a directors cut of this game, I'll get it for PS3.

For me it was spamming Meteor Swarm.

I have to restart my 360 multiple times before it will recognize games now.

Lightning

Banned
I would just start with 13. The story of 13-2 directly continues the events of 13, and neither game has a straightforward story.

I really liked 13 (put over 100 hours into it and maxed out all characters), but I just beat 13-2 today and didn't really care for it. The game has mostly recycled enemies AND areas from 13 and is somewhat unpolished (framerate hitches). It also feels incomplete with the current and upcoming DLC. The battles and monster collecting are pretty fun though. If you end up loving 13 and want to revisit the world it might be worth it.

It's been a while since I played 13, but I thought it worked as a standalone story.
That is the biggest problem with FFXIII-2. Fighting the enemies is like a rinse and repeat from FFXIII expect its not as cool. The gameplay elements are basically the same except for monster taming. Going around and collecting every monster is fun for a while.

The best part I liked about FFXIII-2 was Mog. Awesome idea and added the humour that Sazh and Snow brought to the original game. Story was a fuck up imo but timeline stories usually are. Game is easy, bosses uneventful, missions uneventful and easy, few really strong enemies and no real challenge to keep the game interesting. And oh my is the ending BAD... truly crappy ending in every respect. The DLC coming should make the ending better but what the fuck were S-E thinking with this shit.

Nohar

I have the feeling that nowadays we're getting "OK" games, not like the previous one who were wonderful, with a lot of content... Though it may be nostalgia talking. Overall, I'm disappointed, and I'm not interested in DLCs (something I honestly despise). I don't think I will spend a dollar on "Requiem of a Goddess".

Sure, we get games with better graphics and so on... But I have the feeling that these wonderful graphics only hide how much some games became hollow. Oh well, I guess I'm biaised.

GorillaJu

A huge chunk of enemies, spells and environments from my favorite game of all time, FF6, were recycled straight from FF5. And it's not as if it was a sequel spin-off, it was a direct numbered successor. I find it hard to fault a developer for re-using assets that cost exorbitant amounts of time and money to create.

laika09

FF1 and FF2 share like 80% of their graphical assets. This is nothing new.

As for XIII-2, it's been 6 weeks since I touched it, but I don't remember a single recycled environment.

MechaX

Clamped down and bought Omega and Lightning.

They are pretty fun fights for the most part. Still can't catch Omega, but I caught Lightning on my first try, despite how I have heard that she's significantly more irritating to catch.

Skullkid

FF1 and FF2 share like 80% of their graphical assets. This is nothing new.

As for XIII-2, it's been 6 weeks since I touched it, but I don't remember a single recycled environment.

There are areas that use very similiar or even the same map but with graphical tweaks: Yaschas Massif, Oerba, and Archylte Steppe. There are other areas from FF13 (Sunleth Waterscape for example) but I don't rememember if the maps are the same. In many cases you play through them multiple times (Yashas Massif has like 4 time periods). Some of the new levels like Augusta Tower are pretty simple graphically, but Academia is cool. It's obvious this game only had a fraction of the budget that FF13 had.

I understand this fits with the time travel premise and don't want to knock the game too much because many are still enjoying it. I was just expecting a little more of a fresh experience.

laika09

There are areas that use very similiar or even the same map but with graphical tweaks: Yaschas Massif, Oerba, and Archylte Steppe. There are other areas from FF13 (Sunleth Waterscape for example) but I don't rememember if the maps are the same. In many cases you play through them multiple times (Yashas Massif has like 4 time periods). Some of the new levels like Augusta Tower are pretty simple graphically, but Academia is cool. It's obvious this game only had a fraction of the budget that FF13 had.

I understand this fits with the time travel premise and don't want to knock the game too much because many are still enjoying it. I was just expecting a little more of a fresh experience.

Oh right, most of Oerba was clearly re-used from XIII. Archylte and Yaschas were completely rebuilt though... maybe the grass textures were re-used, I don't know, but they were reminiscent of XIII only in direction.

Repurposing the environments they made to represent different time periods (with minor adjustments in lighting and so forth) was actually a clever way to get the most out of what they could produce in such a short time. The retreads did get tired after 60 hours, but that's the case for any game.

For such a comparatively low-budget and quickly produced title, it has an impressive amount of unique assets. Compare this to the NES games and it's no contest. I can live with some enemy palette swaps.

GorillaJu

Vile Peaks appears to be completely unchanged from FF13. You can tell by the fact that it's one long skinny corridor... Well two I guess.

Cornbread78

Is there any straightforward walkthrough that can be found for this game? I tried using the manual but it is unspecific and not very helpful on a proper path to follow.

GorillaJu

Is there any straightforward walkthrough that can be found for this game? I tried using the manual but it is unspecific and not very helpful on a proper path to follow.

Much of the game can be done out of order, but there's a decent walkthrough for 100% completion on ganefaqs. The creator is Crystal or something of the sort.

Cornbread78

Much of the game can be done out of order, but there's a decent walkthrough for 100% completion on ganefaqs. The creator is Crystal or something of the sort.

Thanks, I'll look it up. I'm actually liking the game so far, outside of getting completely confused on where to go next.

GorillaJu

is he better than chichu... mine takes like 5-7k a hit..?

It really depends on buffs and the enemy. I can't say he's better than Chichu, he doesn't have Armor Break which is a pretty big part of what makes Chichu good.

But he is very strong. My Gilg has around 1400 strength and 13000 hp. His cast speed (for Ruin) is really, really fast, but that doesn't mean much since his STR stat is so much higher than his mag.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Just beat the game and um... well, I feel really bad for everyone else who's played it. ;_; The ending is horrible and stupid. I liked the "game" itself so long as the story is completely axed from it. >_>;

frequency

I'm the complete opposite.

I really enjoyed the story and the didn't mind the ending (hoping for FFXIII-3 soon). I would even say I liked the ending.

It was the game parts of it that disappointed me actually.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I'm the complete opposite.

I really enjoyed the story and the didn't mind the ending (hoping for FFXIII-3 soon). I would even say I liked the ending.

It was the game parts of it that disappointed me actually.

I think I'm just bitter because it's not complete. I did like the gameplay additions like jumping and the greatly expanded areas to explore. Granted I didn't like the framerate dips etc.

frequency

I think I'm just bitter because it's not complete. I did like the gameplay additions like jumping and the greatly expanded areas to explore. Granted I didn't like the framerate dips etc.

I can understand that. Cliffhangers can be frustrating. There was definitely no closure here. But I still like it.

The jumping and less-linear areas were really nice. I just felt the game was way too easy and I didn't like the monster taming stuff. I also didn't like the few moments where the game feels really aimless (
like when you have to get those Graviton Cores
).

It really depends on buffs and the enemy. I can't say he's better than Chichu, he doesn't have Armor Break which is a pretty big part of what makes Chichu good.

But he is very strong. My Gilg has around 1400 strength and 13000 hp. His cast speed (for Ruin) is really, really fast, but that doesn't mean much since his STR stat is so much higher than his mag.

Gilgamesh does have armor break. He is best at level 9 and not fully maxed out at level 13.

Here's a nice build for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiNwoUAock8

I tried that build out and I gotta say he's a freaking beast.

GorillaJu

Gilgamesh does have armor break. He is best at level 9 and not fully maxed out at level 13.

Here's a nice build for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiNwoUAock8

I tried that build out and I gotta say he's a freaking beast.

My Gilg is the exact same build actually, but level 13 instead of 9. Why leave him at lvl 9?

Ahh, just saw the explanation in the video description. Makes sense. Maybe I'll release and re-build.

neoism

ok I beat this a few days ago, and need some questions answered before I even bother with playing more to platium... I miss F13 trophies. I really thing that game was better over all, and like it a looot more than this.

Ok the battlemania fragment skill do you need it for Raspatil... also do you REALLY have to so to every location again to check the stupid 100% map on the map. : \

ok I beat this a few days ago, and need some questions answered before I even bother with playing more to platium... I miss F13 trophies. I really thing that game was better over all, and like it a looot more than this.

Ok the battlemania fragment skill do you need it for Raspatil... also do you REALLY have to so to every location again to check the stupid 100% map on the map. : \

for battlemanoa yes fight all mosters excpet the ones in dlc,u just need to fight them ones to register.

for 100% map,u need to travel to different times of same map to get all areas.
Remember acedemia 500af is diffrent for all other maps of same area,so u need 100% in that map as well to get 100% of acedemia.

The travel guide isn't really that hard or even time consuming. Some location on certain maps are block off but once you have all the maps unlocked it's a cake walk. Just open the map and look for the % on the bottom.

If you want to farm Raspatil yea you're going to need to beat the game and have battlemania. Make sure to equip durable catalog so you can get the most money (100k) and the three Scarlite + royal armlet.

The bestiary quest is going to be by far the most annoying one. You can farm librascope to make it quicker or add that item that gives you libra after kill.

The travel guide isn't really that hard or even time consuming. Some location on certain maps are block off but once you have all the maps unlocked it's a cake walk. Just open the map and look for the % on the bottom.

If you want to farm Raspatil yea you're going to need to beat the game and have battlemania. Make sure to equip durable catalog so you can get the most money (100k) and the three Scarlite + royal armlet.

The bestiary quest is going to be by far the most annoying one. You can farm librascope to make it quicker or add that item that gives you libra after kill.

You DO NOT NEED 100% information (the white check-mark) next to a monster entry for this quest.

Only kill the monster to get its entry. No need to fight again or use librascopes...

Goddamn I wish for FF13-3 now...

ZenaxPure

that lightning story dlc better be great ( even if i had a very good time with ff13-2 ) or else ...

Well they already said it's going to feature a different combat type than the main game for Lighting DLC, right? That alone means they're ditching my favorite part of 13 and 13-2 in favor of something else, doesn't really bode well.

Perhaps it will turn out OK though, who knows.

Well they already said it's going to feature a different combat type than the main game for Lighting DLC, right? That alone means they're ditching my favorite part of 13 and 13-2 in favor of something else, doesn't really bode well.

Perhaps it will turn out OK though, who knows.

They were talinkg about combat ?

Well if true why not, lightning is alone and i don't feel like controlling 2 monsters at once

( you could do some pretty broken things that way , especially with my team )

You DO NOT NEED 100% information (the white check-mark) next to a monster entry for this quest.

Only kill the monster to get its entry. No need to fight again or use librascopes...

Goddamn I wish for FF13-3 now...

o.0 lol i totally didn't know that when I platinum the game. Wasted so much time!!!

Yea I wish FF13-3 was out. I feel like I've done everything you can do in in 13-2.

o.0 lol i totally didn't know that when I platinum the game. Wasted so much time!!!

Yea I wish FF13-3 was out. I feel like I've done everything you can do in in 13-2.

I did 100% the monster entries anyway, it was fun doing it :)

I think I need to sell the game now and buy again when the Ultimate edition (with all the DLC) comes out.

ZenaxPure

They were talinkg about combat ?

Well if true why not, lightning is alone and i don't feel like controlling 2 monsters at once

( you could do some pretty broken things that way , especially with my team )

I was under that impression based on that news but really who knows, I will say that there was nothing really fun about the start of 13-2 where you use the normal combat in the 1v1 Lightning/Caius fights, so I really don't want more of that.

Holy shit, this Collector's Edition guide is AMAZING. I had no idea about some of this stuff before reading this thing. ATB Refresh, cut/keep stats, buffers the fact that the ATB guage recharges faster when more segments are available, synthesis abilities...

o_O

So I just got all the cores needed to move on, but I figured I'd do some leveling and fragment hunting first.

But a few quick questions;

1)Is it worth it for me to get the special weapon that increases attack and magic based on how many fragments I have? I think I only have around 40 right now.

2)Right now I'm using a Chocobo and Flanitor as my monsters, for the most part. What are some strong(er) monsters I should hunt for?

ZenaxPure

1)Is it worth it for me to get the special weapon that increases attack and magic based on how many fragments I have? I think I only have around 40 right now.

2)Right now I'm using a Chocobo and Flanitor as my monsters, for the most part. What are some strong(er) monsters I should hunt for?

1) The Fragment weapons aren't that amazing to be honest, I didn't bother using Noel's until I had every fragment in the game and even then it barely sped up kills compared to other weapons (perma haste weapons for example).

2)I haven't really kept up with any of the monster breeding stuff since I finished the game but I assume Chichu (obtained from throwing mog into the patch of flowers in front of the Archylte Steppes town) is still the fastest way to break the game. I used similar monsters to you though and had no trouble finishing the game. Cactuar/Blue Chocobo/Flanitor to be specific.

It will help to get them if you want to do the 99,999+ attack trophy , otherwise you won't miss much..but i guess it depends to you play style

So I just got all the cores needed to move on, but I figured I'd do some leveling and fragment hunting first.

But a few quick questions;

Yea Odin's Bolt and Odin's Blade with 160 fragment is pretty useless post game. The only thing it's useful for non boss characters, and Long Gui (since his defense is really weak).

For Boss characters (especially DLC boss) your best weapon are Gandiva (Serah), and Grasitha (Noel).

I was able to take out Gilgamesh in under 6 minutes with those two weapon on my best run. With the Odin's weapons you will be lucky to hit 15 minutes.

As far as monster are concerns Chichu probably best Commando when built correctly. One warning is that you can easily switch out Pack Mentality. I personally yellow locked it but that means giving up your one and only Nanchou. Anyways I only use 5 monsters in the post game and their builds are...

Chichu (Strength all the way)
HP + 30%
Role Resonance
Strength +35%
Chain Bonus II
Stagger Maintenance II
Attack ATB Charge II
Feral Speed II (You can replace this with quick stagger or rapid recovery, I was too lazy at this point to change it....)
Siphon Boost II
Pack Mentality
Resilience +40% (You can replace this with Quick Stagger or Rapid Recovery if you like)

Gilgamesh lvl 9 (my earlier post stated why I didn't go to 13, all power items).
Quick Stagger
Stagger Maintenance II
HP + 30%
Resilience +40%
Role Resonance
Strength +35%
Attack ATB Charge II
Siphon Boost II
Chain Bonus II
Rapid Recovery (Same thing as above if you rather have something like feral II go for it...)

As you can see both my commando's are pretty much the same.

Lighting (All mana items)
Pretty much the same set as my commando's except replace the strength +35% with magic + 35%.

Cloudburst (All mana items)
Same build as lighting. Sucks that he has auto enforst and critical faith on red lock though.

Cloudburst probably better overall because of his Feral Link ability. You can kill Raspatil in under 2 minutes (basically 1 stagger, and btw he's the best farming monster. 100k + 3 scarlite, and royal armlet in 2 minutes is pretty darn good if you have the durable collector catalog) if you use Cloudburst with Goblin Chieftain thanks to the feral link. Of course that mean my last monster that I use is...

Goblin Chieftain (All vitality items) *I picked him over the other sentinels because of his feral link.*
Resist Physical +36%
Resist Magic + 36%
HP + 30 %
Resilience + 40 %
And the pretty much the same items from the other 4 monster. Stagger Maint II, Chain II, RR, etc... Since you can't have all of them just picks the one you like most.

GorillaJu

The costumes look nice.

No idea what PLD means but ATK is the same as COM. For some reason they changed

Attacker ATK - Commando COM
Blaster BLA - Ravager RAV
Defender DEF - Sentinel SEN
Jammer JAM - Saboteur SAB
Enhancer ENH - Synergist SYN
Healer HLR - Medic MED

for the occidental release

ZenaxPure

I am really intrigued by the Lightning stuff now based on those screens, went from expecting nothing to wanting to know more in just that one screen shot.

Also on a random note, curious about how the DLC is doing again I decided to hop into the NA PSN top DLC section thing and I am pretty sad now. Half of it is FF13-2 which is cool and all but why on earth are all the 99 cent weapons in that list? I am totally fine with cosmetic DLC and the colosseum stuff but deeply saddened that 4 weapons (that probably aren't even that great) are in the top downloaded thing. People should feel bad for buying those. I ain't even mad at Square cause I'd do the same thing if I was in their position, I am just sad people actually buy cheap weapons.

The costumes look nice.

No idea what PLD means but ATK is the same as COM. For some reason they changed

The PLD could mean an alternate mode on the roles ... ( maybe you can trigger Special actions with it ) just like you do with your monsters ...

That means that she would Auto Buff herself ... ( just like caius do )... Could be Neat if i'm right ....

genjiZERO

So I guess I'm super late starting this game, but question:

Is it me or are the graphics noticeably worse this time? I'm playing the Chinese version on a PS3.

i have the same version and yes it can be worse at some points , but it will be better at some others ... and at some point you won't see any difference

genjiZERO

i have the same version and yes it can be worse at some points , but it will be better at some others ... and at some point you won't see any difference

it looks like they forgot to turn the anti-aliasing on. The colors look less vibrant too. In the last game I never really noticed the transition form FMV to real time... but it's so apparent now.

Top Bottom