• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Toth

I guess we will just have to wait until someone asks SE directly what is going on. The game just came out so I am sure only a few die hards like the streamers have beaten the game yet. Most should be finishing by this week. It would be really cool if the game is continued via expansions but SE needs to be smart with pricing.

Basically I don't want to wait two years for resolution :(

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Basically I don't want to wait two years for resolution :(

I think I'd prefer a sequel actually and DLCs instead focusing on side-stories, like boh... Caius's past (playable) or stuff like that with different characters playable. Anyway, I don't want an answer on this but I just hope that this so-convulted ending you talk about closes the story of XIII-2 and just leaves events that hint at a sequel. I mean, even Mass Effect 2doesn't really "end", but the ending for me was more than satisfying, closing the "collector's tale" started within that same game. I hope XIII-2's is like that.

Dunan

"Door of the Underworld and the Path of Nayuta."

I wonder if this is related to Type-0 somehow. "Nayuta" (那由他) is the number 10^60, and in Type-0 two characters were named after obscure number words: Setsuna (刹那; 10^-18) and Shuyu (須臾; 10^-15) -- though spelled bizarrely.

Toth

I think I'd prefer a sequel actually and DLCs instead focusing on side-stories, like boh... Caius's past (playable) or stuff like that with different characters playable. Anyway, I don't want an answer on this but I just hope that this so-convulted ending you talk about closes the story of XIII-2 and just leaves events that hint at a sequel. I mean, even Mass Effect 2doesn't really "end", but the ending for me was more than satisfying, closing the "collector's tale" started within that same game. I hope XIII-2's is like that.

Sorry Perfo, :( You'll see what people are so upset about when you get there.

Of course the game itself looks worthwhile so I am still super psyched to play and maybe...even....platinum :D

Perfo

People were upset about XIII's ending too, saying it didn't close the events while I always considered it a true ending without anything left untold lol.

Btw, I'll see for myself next year -.-'

Styles

People were upset about XIII's ending too, saying it didn't close the events while I always considered it a true ending without anything left untold lol.

One month and half to go!

Like some, I am still pretty excited to play this game. I really want to mess around with the monster mechanic, the thought of having a Chocobo kicking an Adamantoise's butt is awesome.

Neki

it's probably like Tales of Symphonia 2's monster system. Which I don't remember if I liked. I always saw it as a huge cop-out for not letting me customize the original ToS cast though. :(

PK Gaming

A think a combination of monster party members and human party members would have been really cool. I was hoping they'd give us a FFX-2 international type deal and let us use the original characters as playable characters (they could probably shoe horn their existance by calling them copies or whatnot)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
A think a combination of monster party members and human party members would have been really cool. I was hoping they'd give us a FFX-2 international type deal and let us use the original characters as playable characters (they could probably shoe horn their existance by calling them copies or whatnot)

Well...
even then, there's only one guest character I've seen so far...

I highlighted all the spoilers above.

I didn't understand ANY of it.

I regret nothing. Will give me plenty of laughs and frowns when the story plays out before me :D. Still going to play the shit out of it in Jan/Feb because I love the battle system

Perfo

God I'm so irritated that I read on another forum something related to the story sounding like
"[...] the future didn't want to change"
. Stuff like this I think likely ruined the ending for me and all the story taking me there. Considering I PLAY FF mostly because of the stories, it's really annoying knowing this so early. Fucking people that doesn't tag spoiler stuff related to the plot. Congratz instead to the people here on neogaf that for now have been really respectful about this. I should stick more around here and less abroad -.-'

dramatis

Heh.
Blinded by Light plays when you fight enemies in Neo Bodhum AF700.
It also plays when you BREAK/STAGGER the slot machine...(yes, yes it does).
When you OVERbreak the slots (hell yeah), music goes to the track they used during that ostentatious FMV in which the crew lands on the racetrack in 13.

PK Gaming

Well...
even then, there's only one guest character I've seen so far...

It would have been awesome if they could give us the ability to call on an old party member. Like after clearing a certain point the story, Snow will perma join you etc, etc Oh well

Stuart444

You know, I look forward to seeing what the future is like when I play the game...

One question though, does it get explained how all the stuff in the time period happened when you go there?
ie how it goes from what it is near the start of XIII-2 when on Gran Pulse with Serah to how it is in that futuristic place with white buildings and moving platforms that I've seen both on a stream and in some screenshots/trailers. I've not seen too much so no major spoilers please. Just wish to know if it's explained or not (and are there any references made to past events including the end of FFXIII

I enjoy time travel stuff so yeah :) it's mainly why I'm asking now after seeing 5 - 10 mins of a stream (teakdoc) and the first 2 hours from 1up.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The quizzes are hard :< I don't see a guide for them either...

Edit: Oh wait, there is one YAY NOW I CAN GET MORE OOPARTS.

So the general consensus for this game is that the story leaves you hanging and kind of sucks and the game is extremely easy and the monster catching a bit pointless? Just summarizing, anyone have anything positive to say? Is it at least better then 13?

Himself

So the general consensus for this game is that the story leaves you hanging and kind of sucks and the game is extremely easy and the monster catching a bit pointless? Just summarizing, anyone have anything positive to say? Is it at least better then 13?

Haha. I know GAF tends to be more vocal about their criticisms over their commendations, but I'm wondering the same thing at this point. 40/40 nullified?

SykoTech

Haven't spoiled myself, but it's a shame to hear so many negative impressions regarding the story. Not very surprising since it's by the same people, but I had hoped for a decent improvement regardless. Hopefully the villains are memorable this time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dear lord, this level is garbage. I can't believe they decided a platforming section was a good idea.

Also... how the heck do I get to the otherside of the Archylte Steppe :|

xion4360

Dear lord, this level is garbage. I can't believe they decided a platforming section was a good idea.

Also... how the heck do I get to the otherside of the Archylte Steppe :|

I believe this might be the case where the weather plays a role? might open up if it changes

Perfo

Do we know already how many endings (and I mean final endings, not middle-way ect.) there are? I've heard everyone speaking always of the usual "shocking/lame" ending... does it mean that there's only one real ending then? Initially I though there would be something like Mass Effect with multiple endings, but I'm starting to think this is not the case.

UberTag

Haven't spoiled myself, but it's a shame to hear so many negative impressions regarding the story. Not very surprising since it's by the same people, but I had hoped for a decent improvement regardless. Hopefully the villains are memorable this time.
That's the one thing this game does seem to have going for it. Well, with regards to Caius anyhow. In fact, in some ways FFXIII-2's flaws are probably going to elevate him to legendary status. It's a shame you can't rename him to Toriyama. Equating him with the game's creator is probably the best way one can approach this title.

Square's always seemed to struggle with incorporating platforming into their RPGs and this is no exception to the rule. It's Xenogears all over again in that respect.

Do we know already how many endings (and I mean final endings, not middle-way ect.) there are? I've heard everyone speaking always of the usual "shocking/lame" ending... does it mean that there's only one real ending then? Initially I though there would be something like Mass Effect with multiple endings, but I'm starting to think this is not the case.
You're absolutely correct. There is only one real ending... that gets fleshed out to some extent once you collect all 160 fragments (which you can't do until you've already gone through the ending once previously). The rest are merely "false alarm Game Overs" inserted in various stages of the story based on decisions which can be quickly/easily reversed once made (similar to Radiant Historia, Corpse Party or the Metal Gear games).

Perfo

Apparently europeans are getting Omega and the costumes for Serah and Noel within the same DLC-pack "Fight in Style", soon after launch.

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/e...tasy-xiii-2-video-introduces-games-characters

We're also revealing the "Fight In Style" DLC pack that will be available shortly after launch. It includes a new enemy, Omega, to fight and recruit as well as a new costume each for Serah and Noel.

About this:

You're absolutely correct. There is only one real ending... that gets fleshed out to some extent once you collect all 160 fragments (which you can't do until you've already gone through the ending once previously). The rest are merely "false alarm Game Overs" inserted in various stages of the story based on decisions which can be quickly/easily reversed once made (similar to Radiant Historia, Corpse Party or the Metal Gear games).

Thanks, everything's clear now :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm concerned about the difficulty. What's the highest difficulty mode available?
Two modes: Normal and Easy. I know. I'm disappointed too.

*shrug* Now that I look back on it, I thought FFXIII's ending was semi-conclusive in a bittersweet way, much like how FFX's was. After games end, you don't directly see the rest of the world copes with the world's current conditions after the final boss. Like in Genso Suikoden, you don't see how the former territories part of the evil empire cope with the political struggles of new leadership (until three years later in Genso Suikoden II), or you don't see everything that happens at the end of Mother 3 (I'm sure there are people who really disliked that ending), etc.

Final Fantasy X did open up the possibility of giving Yuna a happy ending with Tidus, though. Or at least it seems like fans wanted that to happen. So FFX-2 happened.

Final Fantasy XIII, I suppose, works in a similar manner; people want to save the characters involved in the ending.

Essentially, I suppose people want the characters in the world they embrace to live happily ever after.

God I'm so irritated that I read on another forum something related to the story sounding like
"[...] the future didn't want to change"
. Stuff like this I think likely ruined the ending for me and all the story taking me there. Considering I PLAY FF mostly because of the stories, it's really annoying knowing this so early. Fucking people that doesn't tag spoiler stuff related to the plot. Congratz instead to the people here on neogaf that for now have been really respectful about this. I should stick more around here and less abroad -.-'
Perfo, you've gotta do what I did for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword--stay the hell away from other fora for weeks, and don't even watch any trailers, screens or watch the official sites for news!

Honestly, staying out of Zelda threads for the months leading out of release, staying off of YouTube, not listening to the music on YouTube until finishing the game, staying away from Zelda sites... best thing I did for the game. While some people disliked it, I really loved it because a lot of things came as a surprise to me.

I tried that?
It doesn't say in the rough wiki? http://ff12.jp/ff13_2_chart6.html

Famassu

I just figured something out - isn't it time for a new love story in FF? In Versus maybe? Last one was in FFX, and it was handled decently.
Pretty sure Nomura has said that there would be no love story in Versus. It's more about the friendship between Noctis & his friends.

Top Bottom