• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Vamphuntr

Gamekult.com Import Review

The developers of Final Fantasy XIII-2 carefully noted all the bad things the Internet has criticized of their previous game to give us just the opposite. Too many hallways? We will give multiple paths. No NPCs or sidequests? We'll swing a ton of cats stuck in trees. Otherwise, the game continues on the solid foundation of its predecessor, namely the nervous and efficient combat system, good graphics, and a soundtrack that keeps on cutting bridges with the previous titles, and we eventually learn to accept it. Strange on paper, the result is very good despite a soft and misleading start. After four to five hours, the adventure finally takes off and the player begins to gain more freedom, discovering the richness of the parallel universes possible to explore. Very promising, the capture of monsters finally shine on the end where the game gets really difficult and demanding. Rich, varied and full of sidequests that are revealed gradually, Final Fantasy XIII-2 is a great success. An encouraging return to the RPG as we knew it in the 90s.

+ a bold and full of surprises scenario
+ the bold concept of parallel worlds
+ capture and breed monsters
+ the fights are still dynamic and catchy
+ the awesome last boss

- fights are very easy on the first hours
- visiting always the same spots
- the multiple choice answers are useless

8/10 (editor's pick)

Oh boy oh boy, GAF won't like this quote

Gamekult's review said:
Sans complexes et sans carcans, Final Fantasy XIII-2 est le titre qui renouvelle de manière intelligente le J-RPG ;

According to the them the game reinvent or refresh the JRPG in an intelligent manner.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The more I think about XIII-2's story, the more it irritates me.

To be fair, couldn't you say this about the majority of mainline Final Fantasies? Not even trying to start a list war, but seriously I'd think most would agree that maybe out of the 15 games (including both sequels) there's 3-4 "decent" storylines, no? Just as an example, I adore 12 but even thinking back on anything have to do with the plot makes me cringe. I know some people play these games for story, but that's always kind of surprised me since there are much better series out there if that's what you are looking for. Megaten springs to mind.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
To be fair, couldn't you say this about the majority of mainline Final Fantasies? Not even trying to start a list war, but seriously I'd think most would agree that maybe out of the 15 games (including both sequels) there's 3-4 "decent" storylines, no? Just as an example, I adore 12 but even thinking back on anything have to do with the plot makes me cringe. I know some people play these games for story, but that's always kind of surprised me since there are much better series out there if that's what you are looking for. Megaten springs to mind.

XII didn't grate me as much, even though the last boss was a joke.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
XII didn't grate me as much, even though the last boss was a joke.

Do you mean plot wise or difficulty wise? My main gripe with that game was by the end with bubble belts and all the gear/experience from hunts I grossly overpowered anything in the main story which made the latter half of the game totally pointless. Plotwise the game had already lost me once you hit the gods stuff. Sorry..off topic..

I really want to play this game, but it's still going for like 6000 yen used. I really don't want to pay anything above 3k. First time I wish I had a 360.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Do you mean plot wise or difficulty wise? My main gripe with that game was by the end with bubble belts and all the gear/experience from hunts I grossly overpowered anything in the main story which made the latter half of the game totally pointless. Plotwise the game had already lost me once you hit the gods stuff. Sorry..off topic..

I really want to play this game, but it's still going for like 6000 yen used. I really don't want to pay anything above 3k. First time I wish I had a 360.

Plot wise...

But as for 13-2... don't worry... the PS3 version will hit bomba bin soon enough. There's still 200K unsold copies.

I-III -- standards for story were low then.

IV -- very good story; among the best for the time.

V -- OK, sucked.

VI -- total classic.

VII -- classic.

VIII -- OK, sucked.

IX -- entertaining most of the way through; just goes off the deep end near the very end... excellent characterization.

X -- split opinion on this one; but most at least like it.

XII -- there's potential, but let's put it in the sucks column, as really no one was satisfied with it. (Though for the record, as Kagari stated, it's not that the story was actively bad... just that it wasn't good/resolved in a nice way. It wasn't offensive.)

XIII -- OK, sucked.

By my count, out of 12 games, that's 4 games that can be definitively stated to have underwhelming stories. The rest have good reputations story-wise generally speaking.

For me *personally*, after those original pre-IV FFs, each and every one I played for the characters/world/story, with the gameplay being more of a delivery system than anything. The only exception was XII... fortunately the gameplay and world design were strong enough to compensate for the unfortunate story.

Then there was XIII... where everything except visuals lacked, until the battle system finally opened up 25 hours into the game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari, will you be putting up your review about this game?

From what I've seen... FFVIII, FFXII, and FFXIII are the most bipolar FFs.

I'm an expert

BIG LIST OF OPINIONS

Yeah..this is why I said I didn't want to start any lists haha. Once you wrote 7 is a classic and 8 sucks in terms of story my eyes rolled to the back of my head. By my count though from your list, only 4 (maybe 5) of the games have a palatable storyline. Don't see why you left out 10-2 or 11 from your list. 11's story is probably one of the best (let's say top 3) stories in the mainline.

Neki

what is exactly classic about FF7's story again? I'm not a fan of FF13's story, but I don't see how FF7 can be considered, "great". This seems like a topic for Community FF, which is always dead.

I'm an expert

what is exactly classic about FF7's story again? I'm not a fan of FF13's story, but I don't see how FF7 can be considered, "great". This seems like a topic for Community FF, which is always dead.

Absolutely nothing. That game's story is a mess. Unfortunately, it's totally drenched in nostalgia which is why having that convo even in the community thread would be scary.

Midou

Absolutely nothing. That game's story is a mess. Unfortunately, it's totally drenched in nostalgia which is why having that convo even in the community thread would be scary.

Disagree, stuff with Zack + personality was cool, and then the Vincent/Lucrecia backstory was mostly optional but was neat too.

I'm an expert

Disagree, stuff with Zack + personality was cool, and then the Vincent/Lucrecia backstory was mostly optional but was neat too.

The Zack stuff is the best stuff of that mythos, and it's much better represented in Crisis Core. I'd take that story over 7's (or anything having to do with Jenova) any day.

LIST THREAD!!!!

/abandons thread (seriously, will get 13-2 before coming back)

Yeah..this is why I said I didn't want to start any lists haha. Once you wrote 7 is a classic and 8 sucks in terms of story my eyes rolled to the back of my head. By my count though from your list, only 4 (maybe 5) of the games have a palatable storyline. Don't see why you left out 10-2 or 11 from your list. 11's story is probably one of the best (let's say top 3) stories in the mainline.

- I left out 11, because it is an MMO. It's not really in the main series and was only denoted as such as a marketing gimmick. However it works to my point anyway: that FFs have, in general, well received story lines.

- I did forget X-2... that's true. You can increase the suck count by 1 there. Point still stands though numerically.

- I was listing consensus opinions, not my personal opinions. Fans are generally in love with VII and conversely with VIII (story-wise). (Yes, people like to shit on VII and call it nostalgia... that's fine... that's their prerogative... but that doesn't change the clear consensus on it, and that is that it is great. Discussing/defending why or how that is the case is far outside the scope of the thread or the discussion.)

- Your post to which I reacted was expressing surprise as to people playing FF for the story. Specifically you said "but seriously I'd think most would agree that maybe out of the 15 games (including both sequels) there's 3-4 "decent" storylines, no?". I showed why that is not the case. I am not saying you're wrong to disagree, just explaining the situation.

EDIT: OK, I copied this over into the community thread. Personally I feel the discussion is relevant to the guy's original point (Who plays FF for the story?!), but if this stuff is to be deleted, so be it.

zlatko

Banned
I play FF games for story, compelling characters, fun combat that can be challenging, and great soundtracks.

It all depends what you want from stories and what is a personal irk when you go through them, but FF games tend to do a lot better in regards to story than other JRPG's brought over to the west.

I'm excited to play FF13-2, because I get some Chrono Cross vibes from it, and am someone who enjoyed FF13's plot overall while some of it didn't feel quite right.

If their stories were complete dog shit, then I'd probably be renting most FF games, and not buying them.

What's the general consensus thus far on 13-2's story? Good, bad, hate/love?

Zoe

What's the general consensus thus far on 13-2's story? Good, bad, hate/love?

I'm not a hater. I'm interested to see where they'll take the mythology from here on. I really only had one gripe:

why the hell do they want to go back to Coccoon? Everyone seems to be perfectly fine on the surface.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not a hater. I'm interested to see where they'll take the mythology from here on. I really only had one gripe:

why the hell do they want to go back to Coccoon? Everyone seems to be perfectly fine on the surface.

Because they wanted to live in a world not created by the fal'Cie or something like that... D:

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

Probably because
the old Cocoon is going to fall anyway and make the land uninhabitable and progress towards Noel's future

Jarmel

Banned
The more I think about XIII-2's story, the more it irritates me.

That's really the sign of a bad story. Initial impressions of stories are usually worthless, what matters are when people have time and actually think about the narratives and themes. Sometimes this works for the better and other times it just doesn't.

Pooya

well, they already said there will be scenario DLC after release of the game. when you unlock all areas in the game,two still remain locked which look like to be place holder for future DLC.

One is in Xanadu, which I'm guessing is related to Sazh DLC they hinted at in Dengeki interview.

One is in Valhalla, which I'm guessing is related to Lightning.

looking at the Historia Crux, I doubt either would affect the ending in anyway now, they are probably just side stories.

PK Gaming

The more I look at this game, there more I get angry at the fact that Lightning is underrepresented. She has about 6-8 minutes of total playtime and supposedly she has 30 minutes of screen time max (which may increase with DLC) still, its completely unacceptable. SE marketed her as the main character, she's on the cover, the entire premise of the plot was supposed to revolve around her. I know i'm ranting, but Lightning is one of my favorite FF characters of all time. Toriyama's sick twisted obsession with turning things around and having Serah save Lightning was a terrible, terrible idea.

Does anyone else feel this way?

MechaX

The more I look at this game, there more I get angry at the fact that Lightning is underrepresented. She has about 6-8 minutes of total playtime and supposedly she has 30 minutes of screen time max (which may increase with DLC) still, its completely unacceptable. SE marketed her as the main character, she's on the cover, the entire premise of the plot was supposed to revolve around her. I know i'm ranting, but Lightning is one of my favorite FF characters of all time. Toriyama's sick twisted obsession with turning things around and having Serah save Lightning was a terrible, terrible idea.

Given how I actually liked Lightning and was looking forward to play as her for a substantial amount of time in this one at the very least, you're not the only one. It's frustrating that SE decided to take on all of the most irritating aspects of incorporating DLC, and Lightning will probably be extremely overpriced DLC in the grand scheme of things. In terms of what Toriyama previously said about Lightning juxtaposed to what actually happened... Yeah, he pretty much trolled the XIII fanbase with that one.

But like how Kojima at least opened his ear in regards to the negative reception on Raiden, perhaps Toriyama will do the same in regards to Lightning's seemingly non-role in this game in XIII-3 or whatever they try to do after this.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Was that really the case?
Academia was unscathed.

That is true... But I think Hope did say that
he wishes to minimise the damage done at ground zero aka the place where Cocoon will fall if it falls. I think it's more of a "plan for the future thing" since the effects of Cocoon's fall is not immediate but a slower process that takes 200 years to kill all humans. Did Academia exist in Noel's original timeline?

S-E stopped marketing her as the main character 6-8 months before release. She's on the cover to keep the theme established by the first game's cover (Lightning in some sort of pose).

Zoe

he wishes to minimise the damage done at ground zero aka the place where Cocoon will fall if it falls. I think it's more of a "plan for the future thing" since the effects of Cocoon's fall is not immediate but a slower process that takes 200 years to kill all humans. Did Academia exist in Noel's original timeline?

It more than likely didn't, but they also said that Coccoon falling led to a war.

RPGCrazied

so no optional bosses that require some strategy or anything? It really doesn't bother me, cause some of the difficulty in XIII I didn't like. Will be nice to finally breeze through a game. So weapons aren't really looking for or buying? No biggie, in XIII, you really didn't need to upgrade or buy lvl 1. weapons at all.

dramatis

It's not like Pulse is TINY though. Flipping hundreds of years and you can't travel far enough from Cocoon so that you don't get affected by the fallout? Or maybe build extra supports? Or build civilization a certain distance away and then make an awesome wall of fans to blow the crystal dust in the opposite direction? Or launch a rocket to live on the moon...? Because living in an artificial Cocoon faces the same problem as living on the original Cocoon, which is that it'll fall sometime. It boggles my mind why a second Cocoon needs to be built in the first place, when there are so many other ways they could have gone with their technology.

Nope, sure the hell don't. XD

No Lightning makes for a better game, if you ask me. I for one welcome our new Noel overlord.

Top Bottom