• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Labadal

It's really hilarious to watch Perfo but hey, it's cool to be a hater...right?

It's sad to be a hater. Square Enix (and Obsidian Entertainment) are my favorite game companies. SE has some great games this gen: Loved The Last Remnant, NIER and most of their portable games. Final Fantasy XIII was a letdown for me personally. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it as much as I liked other games in the series. What saved XIII for me was the enviroments, soundtrack and gameplay. I did not enjoy anything that had to do with characters or story. In XIII-2 they are using the character I disliked the most in XIII as the main in XIII-2. The story seems like something I would enjoy even less in this game. It also seems to be easier, and it doesn't even seem like you have to utilize every role in the game, wich means the gameplay aspect of the game doesn't really appeal to me either.

I'll put my hope in Versus, Type-0 and KH 3D. Maybe the two newly announced arpgs from SE will also be good. Let us hope.

RPGCrazied

So, the 160 fragment ending still ends on a cliffhanger? That's the one thing thats making me want to change my CE order to the regular edition, and not getting the CE guide. I shouldn't have to pay $$$$ to watch the true final ending.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I haven't checked this thread in a while, but I want to thank those who answered my questions about gameplay, difficulty, trophies, accessory system, monster rearing, etc. The answers regarding difficulty help me out a lot. I find it disappointing, really, that the player can now just plow through the battles without much offensive/defensive effort. That isn't really what I was looking for in FFXIII-2's extension of CSB. The extra difficulty and unpredictability provided by the Guis, and the challenges provided by the Bart battles, the Vercingetorix and Atticus battles were exactly what made CSB finally fun (mind you, I did these with Tier-1 weapons).

CSB benefits a lot from added difficulty because it makes the player explore other options and deeper facets of the skills and alternative roles that the game provides them. The goal is essentially synergy between party members. While ATB 2.0 does this better (via combination attacks, speed stats, timing and positioning), CSB tries to replicate the effects of working together to try to Stagger the enemy and take it down quickly. This becomes extremely enjoyable when the enemy is harder since the player must devise strategies that he or she would not normally use in regular battles. If in FFXIII-2, the Enhancer, Jammer or Defender roles are not really important in battle, then that's quite disappointing to me, since I used those roles extensively.

I also must note that I like difficulty settings in games. Artificially raising the difficulty by trying to do level 1 runs or no crystarium runs just seems counterproductive and it isn't really much fun. Having difficulty settings just makes things more fun for the player since it tinkers with enemy stats (or, in the case of Skyward Sword's Hero Mode, it tinkers with your mechanics a little). Battles become more exhilarating if there's a challenge for the player to overcome via skill, good tactics, and quick strategizing in the heat of the battle... at least, in my case I find it enjoyable.

I know other people play games a lot differently, though. Some for just for story, some for battle engines, some for world building and immersion, some for cool cutscenes, etc. Lower difficulty might be a good thing for those who just want to experience the story. But the thing that made me stay with FF was its ability systems and ATB systems in later games.

Nope, sure the hell don't. XD

No Lightning makes for a better game, if you ask me. I for one welcome our new Noel overlord.
I like you. Let's be friends.

I welcome Noel too. From the dialogue I've heard in a few scenes, and from what my friend's said, Noel seems pretty decent after the majority of FFXIII's cast.

Know what I like about these covers? All the text is easy to read and isn't smushed like the bilingual Canadian covers are. Plus logo. :(

It's sad to be a hater. Square Enix (and Obsidian Entertainment) are my favorite game companies. SE has some great games this gen: Loved The Last Remnant, NIER and most of their portable games. Final Fantasy XIII was a letdown for me personally. I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it as much as I liked other games in the series. What saved XIII for me was the enviroments, soundtrack and gameplay. I did not enjoy anything that had to do with characters or story. In XIII-2 they are using the character I disliked the most in XIII as the main in XIII-2. The story seems like something I would enjoy even less in this game. It also seems to be easier, and it doesn't even seem like you have to utilize every role in the game, wich means the gameplay aspect of the game doesn't really appeal to me either.

I'll put my hope in Versus, Type-0 and KH 3D. Maybe the two newly announced arpgs from SE will also be good. Let us hope.
I agree. Their portable output has been amazing this generation, and they've delivered a lot of gems on that front like TWEWY, Hn4S, TO:LUCT, Rocket Slime, etc. The Last Remnant PC was really fun, and Nier is one of my favourite games of the generation despite the shortcomings in combat.

I have a similar view of FFXIII. I do not hate it at all. I've played it twice, and both times I thought that it's a middle-of-the-road RPG with wonderful presentation. The visuals are great and the soundtrack is fantastic. But I didn't really enjoy CSB as much as I did ATB Kai/Dresspheres, especially in the main game. It wasn't until the Bart battles, Guis and very late-postgame missions that I finally started to enjoy toying with CSB a little bit and exhausting the system by playing around with different party members (though I still prefer ATB Kai/Dresspheres). For the main game, it seemed like sometimes, the best offense was a good defense, and that worked for the majority of the battles. I didn't really care for the story or most of the main cast. I also feel like SE didn't take advantage of the setpieces they designed to try to build the world or support the mythos that they wanted the player to learn about. It was disappointing in that sense as well. FFXIII-2 seems to improve upon it on that front, but we'll see when it's finally released in English.

It just kinda pains me to experience an FF game that I haven't really gotten a lot of satisfaction from. I played a bit of FFXIV a little after launch, and I was surprised with what I had experienced. I like FF a lot, so I really want a game that I'll find fulfilling. Given their portable output, I know SE still has it in them to make a great console game. They just need the right people at the right time.

From what my friend tells me of Type-0, I think I'll probably enjoy it in terms of the setting and mission-based gameplay, even with the balancing issues, parts of the narrative and other little issues that I might find. Their portable output are generally pretty fun, so I'm not too worried about it. I don't really play KH, but BbS was pretty solid too.

...what two announced ARPGs? Did I miss something?

Pranay

so I'm not too worried about it. I don't really play KH, but BbS was pretty solid too.

...what two announced ARPGs? Did I miss something?

a_med_image_thumb122.png

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks. :D

Reminds me Vampire Hunter D or Van Helsing. Seems interesting. Will keep tabs on it. How did I miss the relevant thread? D:

Labadal

Thanks. :D

Reminds me Vampire Hunter D or Van Helsing. Seems interesting. Will keep tabs on it. How did I miss the relevant thread? D:

One PS3/PSVITA game using the Unity engine. Might be a smaller project.

The other one is a PS3/Xbox 360 game. Guessing this will be fairly big budget.

desu

I'll never get it if I can't beat Yomi >:|

Seems like I need to find a good Jammer...

If you don't have a good monster do jam-jam-def, then bio the shit out of him. If you have a super attacker, replace one jammed with that monster. Fight should be a cake walk.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Has nobody seen the ending from 160 fragments?

Yeah, and honestly... if you are getting them just to see the ending it isn't worth all the effort. There are some that are kind of tedious (Lucky Coin in particular, ugh...) So unless you're doing it for the Platinum anyway... I say Youtube it. It can't be longer than a minute I think. I won't give anything away about it, but it's pretty boring.

Zoe

If you don't have a good monster do jam-jam-def, then bio the shit out of him. If you have a super attacker, replace one jammed with that monster. Fight should be a cake walk.

He whips my ass once he starts doing that big circling move >_<

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hmm... any idea on how long the game decides you have to go as far as the quick enemy strike trophy and playing the game without many restarts? Finally got the chocobo riding one.

desu

Hmm... any idea on how long the game decides you have to go as far as the quick enemy strike trophy and playing the game without many restarts? Finally got the chocobo riding one.

Quick enemy strike is 100 according to lots of pages. You should get the other one while doing that.

Can you actually max out all roles in this game (while also maxing out ATB, accessory points, etc.), or are you forced to choose some things over others?

Can you actually max out all roles in this game (while also maxing out ATB, accessory points, etc.), or are you forced to choose some things over others?

You can choose to unlock the last three Roles at every Crystarium level up, or add ATB bars, or add Accessory points, or increase the efficiency of the Role you're leveling.

RPGCrazied

I don't get how, if lightning isn't playable in the game but for like 5 minutes, why is she on the cover? Isn't Noel considered the main character in this game?

hsukardi

I don't get how, if lightning isn't playable in the game but for like 5 minutes, why is she on the cover? Isn't Noel considered the main character in this game?

It's another Square Enix fail.

FFXIII-2 will bomb even harder internationally than it did in Japan.

All eyes will be on Versus -- if that also does not do well, the franchise will be downgraded.

Sometimes I wonder if they're fucking retards for holding onto the FFVII remake card for so long. The franchise is quickly losing its relevance worldwide.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Because she still has a big role in the story, like Solid Snake had in Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't know why people are so angry about this considering that 1) Lightning was not a good character at all and she had already her "character arc" (...) done in the first game; and 2) I think it's quite admirable dropping the main character everyone expects in favor of something more original fitting the new story, like her sister and a totally new character like Noel. I appreciated Raiden being in MGS2 for the same reasons. It also helps giving the old characters like Light and Snake an aura of mistery and so growing in epicness. You know, just like Gohan taking the spot of Goku during DBZ.

Psi

Sometimes I wonder if they're fucking retards for holding onto the FFVII remake card for so long. The franchise is quickly losing its relevance worldwide.

I think that they either lack the confidence to properly remake the game and not rage their fanbase, or they're saving it for when they're in a desperate financial situation.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Because she still has a big role in the story, like Solid Snake had in Metal Gear Solid 2. I don't know why people are so angry about this considering that 1) Lightning was not a good character at all and she had already her "character arc" (...) done in the first game; and 2) I think it's quite admirable dropping the main character everyone expects in favor of something more original fitting the new story, like her sister and a totally new character like Noel. I appreciated Raiden being in MGS2 for the same reasons. It also helps giving the old characters like Light and Snake an aura of mistery and so growing in epicness. You know, just like Gohan taking the spot of Goku during DBZ.

lol.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think that they either lack the confidence to properly remake the game and not rage their fanbase, or they're saving it for when they're in a desperate financial situation.

I think it would take way too much time/money to make it properly to wait until their situation was bad. Anything they'd do at that point would come off as half-assed out of necessity. I thought they'd eventually do them all, but it's like they hit FFIV and got caught in an infinite loop.

I just want FFVI :<

Top Bottom