• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

nib95

Banned
I'm not usually a fan of OP's that are image based, but that is seriously slick, condensed and super functional. Beautiful work dude.

Dunan

Kagari, nice job on yet another great OT, and may I ask one question? Do you have that variant-of-Eurostile font, Sony loves to use in its UI, installed on your computer?

I only have the 'regular' Eurostile, where the number 1 has a sharp hook at the top rather than a right angle. Is that tweaked version available somewhere?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm glad Hamauzu brought Frances Maya back to sing the game theme. The Promise was wonderful, and this is easily just as good.

I teared up at it's beauty ;_;

Also the return of the prelude is awesome! I'm glad he brought it back in a newly orchestrated form!
Agreed. Excellent diction, and very nice head voice. I hope to see more of Ms. Maya in newer FF games because I really enjoy listening to her.

The vocal version of Noel's Theme was pretty decent as well, even if the lyrics are pretty cheesy.

The funny thing is that I'm going to end up with three versions of the soundtrack lol ~ one japanese version limited edition and the two coming from the european Crystal's editions. I'm crazy!
Perfo, you're not crazy. I'm pretty sure if a similar thing were done for Genso Suikoden, I'd purchase whatever I could afford. For instance, if Konami ever releases the Genso Suikoden Soundtrack Box, I'll own 2 copies of certain CDs (I wouldn't hesitate at the chance of owning the fantastic Celtic albums twice) and a few soundtracks. Srsly.

Thoraxes

Agreed. Excellent diction, and very nice head voice. I hope to see more of Ms. Maya in newer FF games because I really enjoy listening to her.
Who do you think the text is about in this one? Just from a first glance I would guess Noel
but that would imply that she somewhat falls in love with him and in the end he leaves her, wouldn't it?
Or given the start of the second verse (before it fades out) could just be talking about all the characters, but I don't think it would be like that.

Bennettt2

Who do you think the text is about in this one? Just from a first glance I would guess Noel
but that would imply that she somewhat falls in love with him and in the end he leaves her, wouldn't it?
Or given the start of the second verse (before it fades out) could just be talking about all the characters, but I don't think it would be like that.

I believe the Japanese reads Serah's Theme so it's probably from her perspective.

Thoraxes

I believe the Japanese reads Serah's Theme so it's probably from her perspective.

I worded that wrong. I basically meant the song was about Serah and her feelings towards him. It's obviously someone talking about someone else, so the point of view is obviously Serah, but about Noel.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I sincerely hope that first bit was about her feelings for Snow.
If that bit was truly about Noel, I wonder if Snow will get NTR'd in this game! :O

The second verse seems like it was about Serah's feelings towards finally becoming self-sufficient, or perhaps it could be about something else.

I sincerely hope that first bit was about her feelings for Snow.
If that bit was truly about Noel, I wonder if Snow will get NTR'd in this game! :O

The second verse seems like it was about Serah's feelings towards finally becoming self-sufficient, or perhaps it could be about something else.

It would be a supreme, character assassinating trolling on SE's part if it was about Noel. XD

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I have to agree with this. Well it was the first jrpg I played. Incredible game.

Heh.. it's funny how much I used to look down on the young generation who played X as their first FF... but enough time has passed that it's now an oldschool entry in the series just as much as my first FF is (VI). We're both oldschoolers now.

I've chugged haterade on that game in the past, but right now I feel like it's its own awesome thing. (Right now, anyway. Later I'm sure I'll get cranky about it again.. lol.)

actually, the benefit of never having fetishized FFX is that I've never played it again since the two playthroughs I gave it when was new..... :p It will be interesting to review in HD.

Ixion

Heh.. it's funny how much I used to look down on the young generation who played X as their first FF... but enough time has passed that it's now an oldschool entry in the series just as much as my first FF is (VI). We're both oldschoolers now.

I've chugged haterade on that game in the past, but right now I feel like it's its own awesome thing. (Right now, anyway. Later I'm sure I'll get cranky about it again.. lol.)

actually, the benefit of never having fetishized FFX is that I've never played it again since the two playthroughs I gave it when was new..... :p It will be interesting to review in HD.

FFX was my first RPG as well, and it became my favorite game of all-time, while turning me on to the genre.

It's a very streamlined RPG, yet unlike FFXIII, it's fully featured and I also feel it has a much better story. Additionally, FFX has aged extremely well, unlike the PS1 entries.

I feel it's still the perfect gateway JRPG. It worked for me!

Neki

FFX was so good, I wish I would have finished FF12.

I gotta finish FF12 man, I got stuck at the part where you got Reddas. Felt like I was really struggling during boss fights because the only reason I was winning because I was spamming Quickenings, maybe that's why I stopped playing, lol.

I stopped playing FF13 for a year too, but finished that last week, jumped right back into it no problem, but can't do it with FF12. :(

BocoDragon

FFX was my first RPG as well, and it became my favorite game of all-time, while turning me on to the genre.

It's a very streamlined RPG, yet unlike FFXIII, it's fully featured and I also feel it has a much better story. Additionally, FFX has aged extremely well, unlike the PS1 entries.

That's a good point.... Due to the strange progression of technology, an early PS2 game is surprisingly playable in 2011. If it was a new game on Wii, no one would bat an eye. It would probably get GotY awards, etc.

If I reccomend a PS1 RPG to someone, its like "prepare to get retro....".

I can appreciate that it's a good "gateway" RPG.

I still have very oldschool misgivings about that entry. It was the beginning of the end of feeling like you're on an adventure which spans an entire world, as the oldschool world map + airship once fostered... but I suppose.. that doesn't matter anymore. It's the beginning of the "streamlined FF experience"... and unlike XIII, it isn't a totally broken level design.

I still gotta rep XII and Xenoblade for bringing back that "world crossing" feeling in a modern way, though........ My ideal FF has that feeling... but whatever (must.. not.. chug haterade..... XD)

Tizoc

Hope it's OK if I post this: After seeing this OT yesterday I fired up FF13 to try and finish it and getting the Platinum. I am now 9-10 hours in and at the start of Chapter 9.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Additionally, FFX has aged extremely well, unlike the PS1 entries.
Yes, it definitely was a game that was way ahead of its time when it released on the PS2. It's such a well executed game. Everything from the music, to the characters, to the story was vital in keeping you immersed till the end. I also felt that the linearity wasn't a big issue, and definitely not as blatantly obvious as FFXIII.

Hope it's OK if I post this: After seeing this OT yesterday I fired up FF13 to try and finish it and getting the Platinum. I am now 9-10 hours in and at the start of Chapter 9.
I lost my save file when I just needed a few trophies for platinum. I'm not going to bother lol, or maybe I will... arggh.

BocoDragon

Yes, it definitely was a game that was way ahead of its time when it released on the PS2. It's such a well executed game. Everything from the music, to the characters, to the story was vital in keeping you immersed till the end. I also felt that the linearity wasn't a big issue, and definitely not as blatantly obvious as FFXIII.

In retrospect... certainly not.

I RAILED against X's linearity back in the day. But at this point it's like, be thankful for what you once had :p

I would prefer a non-linear structure of some kind.. but X was a legitimate design choice in its linear progression. XIII was suffocating in it's linearity, and quite clearly, and objectively, a flaw.

Ixion

I still have very oldschool misgivings about that entry. It was the beginning of the end of feeling like you're on an adventure which spans an entire world, as the oldschool world map + airship once fostered... but I suppose.. that doesn't matter anymore. It's the beginning of the "streamlined FF experience"... and unlike XIII, it isn't a totally broken level design.

And I understand that point of view as well. I wonder if my perspective would be different if my first taste of the genre involved a world map.

However, I can honestly say that I prefer FFX's streamlined approach, as I feel the mini world map is kind of unnecessary and also breaks the immersion.

FFXII is probably the best in that regard though. However, exploration could have been more interesting, since there weren't many interesting secrets or rewarding treasures.

I still gotta rep XII and Xenoblade for bringing back that "world crossing" feeling in a modern way, though........ My ideal FF has that feeling... but whatever (must.. not.. chug haterade..... XD)

Funnily enough, FFXII is my second favorite Final Fantasy. It's the complete opposite of FFX, but it's great for what it is.

Especially after playing FFXIII, I appreciated FFXII even more. The scope of the world and level of detail is pretty impressive.

Thoraxes

In retrospect... certainly not.

I RAILED against X's linearity back in the day. But at this point it's like, be thankful for what you once had :p

I would prefer a non-linear structure of some kind.. but X was a legitimate design choice in its linear progression. XIII was suffocating in it's linearity, and quite clearly, and objectively, a flaw.

I almost feel the opposite. I have no idea why either. I still dislike the linearity of FFX to this day (even moreso now), but overall I like playing any FF game enough that i'll still play each entry multiple times because they give me nice long-lasting games.

Also I find myself liking XIII even more simply because i'm playing it on a decent TV now. I'm wondering how i'll feel about FFX HD now.

Ixion

FFX gets away with linearity while FFXIII does not because FFX contains much more variety along its linear path.

There's a difference between having linearity and only taking part in battles, and having linearity while taking part in battles, puzzles, mini-games, towns, NPCs, etc.

Not only did FFX have plenty of sections to break up the battle areas, but the battle areas themselves often contained optional NPC conversations and cut-scenes, whether it was a history lesson from Maechen, a talk with Shelinda regarding Yevon, a talk with Luzzu & Gatta regarding the Crusaders, or a talk with O'aka regarding current business opportunities.

BocoDragon

I almost feel the opposite. I have no idea why either. I still dislike the linearity of FFX to this day (even moreso now), but overall I like playing any FF game enough that i'll still play each entry multiple times because they give me nice long-lasting games.

Also I find myself liking XIII even more simply because i'm playing it on a decent TV now. I'm wondering how i'll feel about FFX HD now.

We might not disagree so much.... In fact, my heart likes XIII more than X. I never had a personal passion for X, but I did get into XIII in a big way...

But my head says "no way... X is clearly a better, far less flawed game."

A lot of that has to do with art. I think that XIII had one of the best styles, design, music in the series... But I was kind of embarassed by X when it came out. Lulu's Belt Skirt? Tidus' yellow outfit with asymmetirical pants? Still, it was a less flawed game design. It had its charm.

Part of the reason that XIII-2 might be a good game (we're not off topic, lulz). I really like the direction that modern FF is headed.... I just think that XIII was rushed. Story scenario could be better too. The aesthetics are great, though. Square E could produce something magnificent with their current notions of FF.... I pray. They do have an amazing, futuristic vision that I hope can produce amazing games....

Ixion

A lot of that has to do with art. I think that XIII had one of the best styles, design, music in the series... But I was kind of embarassed by X when it came out. Lulu's Belt Skirt? Tidus' yellow outfit with asymmetirical pants? Still, it was a less flawed game design. It had its charm.

On the contrary, one of the main reasons I have a passion for FFX is it's art style. It's very Asian-inspired, which gives it a certain flavor I haven't experienced in other RPGs.

492266-final-fantasy-x-playstation-2-screenshot-temple-side-chamber.jpg

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have very vibrant styles as well, but I don't find their worlds quite as distinctive as Spira.

Doomrider

The OST is some top tier stuff, so far. I don't remember XIII's being this good; I'm totally impressed.

... and addicted to the Historia Crux track right now. "Time. And. Space. Time. And. Space. Time. And. Space. Time. And. Space." YEEEES <3

Crystal edition purchase justified!

zsswimmer

I wanted to get FFXIII but after hearing all the complaints about it I will probably wait til the price drops. I felt bad for skipping out on it : (

george_us

FFXIII and FFXIII-2 have very vibrant styles as well, but I don't find their worlds quite as distinctive as Spira.
FFXIII's art direction just seemed...stereotypical and not at all cohesive. FFX (and FFX-2 to some degree) had a distinctive Asian inspired art style. FFXII more Mediterranean look (combined with the typical sword and sorcery). FFIX had a slight twist on the typical sword and sorcery. VIII had a more realistic, futuristic slant, VII steampunk, etc.

Man I'd kill for another game with FFXII's art. Arguably had the best look out of any game. The Esper's absolutely stunning.

Seda

It was my first RPG too, and also turned me onto the genre.

BumRush

I just read the two 3 hour previews and now I want this game...I didn't love 13 but all signs are pointing to 13-2 being the game 13 should have been

FreeMufasa

On the contrary, one of the main reasons I have a passion for FFX is it's art style. It's very Asian-inspired, which gives it a certain flavor I haven't experienced in other RPGs.

492266-final-fantasy-x-playstation-2-screenshot-temple-side-chamber.jpg

Yep, it's why I love it so much. Which confuses me with what they did with FFX-2, even though I still like it. How they tried to make several characters look Western despite looking East Asian in the original game.

CjR9h.jpg

xDZv0.jpg

3WAVu.png

nLL05.png

What the hell was up with 2004 and Japanese devs trying to Westernize their characters? It was the same crap in Xenosaga too.

Dunan

What the hell was up with 2004 and Japanese devs trying to Westernize their characters? It was the same crap in Xenosaga too.

To me the Spiran Yuna looked Asian and the Al-Bhed Rikku looked Western. I thought it was a fine contrast given their differing backgrounds in the game's world.

RaijinFY

Well unlike for some, FFX was the beginning of the end for me. And i was fucking hyped for that game but in the end... I think i got mini-meltdown when i realized that wasnt any overworld lol.

When I played through FFX it wasn't until about 20 hours or something in until I realized that it didn't have an overworld. The style of the game, the narrative, didn't call for one. It kind of had a Fellowship of the Ring vibe, which was really cool considering it came out like within 2-3 days of that film.

Midou

Amazon.ca still does not have omega boss as pre-order bonus, I have emailed both amazon and SE about it, neither knew anything about it.

Seda

When I played through FFX it wasn't until about 20 hours or something in until I realized that it didn't have an overworld. The style of the game, the narrative, didn't call for one. It kind of had a Fellowship of the Ring vibe, which was really cool considering it came out like within 2-3 days of that film.

FFX was my first RPG. This was sometime in middle school. I was a gamer before then, but primarily Nintendo/Pokemon like games. Then I played Tales of Symphonia soon after FFX and when I got to the overworld I was like "WTH is this? I'm a giant running around the world!" Having such an overworld seemed more weird than not having one, lol.

Both those games are now among my all time favorites, and I have gone back and played of the older releases in these franchises and many others, most of the big name RPGs.

Top Bottom