• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

RPGCrazied

That's a shame. No different weapon models in the game. I thought Kagari said there was. Maybe I read wrong. Surely the ultimate weapon is different. :p

desu

That's a shame. No different weapon models in the game. I thought Kagari said there was. Maybe I read wrong. Surely the ultimate weapon is different. :p

There are no real ultimate weapons in the game, there is a stronger weapon, giving you no abilities, or a weaker weapon that gives you an extra atb bar. Best fact for last, both are pretty useless since the game is so easy that these weapons make no difference, aquiring them is not worth the effort either ...

Review took a long time to fashion; it's very, very long but very, very detailed... so I hope people on the fence get something out of it. I'll be doing a much shorter, simpler regular-length review of the EU version when the embargo lifts.

scy

Quite the read. Barring the story woes--which I can't take too seriously since it's a case-by-case thing (and my standards are low anyway)--it seems like I have quite a bit to look forward to.

Reading through it, I do think they should have just nixed Haste/Slow altogether. It would feel awkward to not have them, I suppose, but they're just tremendously powerful abilities and it was kind of annoying in FFXIII that basically every fight involved them (until Auto-ing it). Though I wager this is just a bad reaction to the whole Mog Clock thing :x

There are no real ultimate weapons in the game, there is a stronger weapon, giving you no abilities, or a weaker weapon that gives you an extra atb bar. Best fact for last, both are pretty useless since the game is so easy that these weapons make no difference, aquiring them is not worth the effort either ...

It seems pretty obvious that there'll be DLC at some point that gives you a 'best' weapon that has the advantages of both.

Toth

Very nice review, Kagari. I think your last line really summarizes your thoughts well:

Flawed as it might be, this game is a definite improvement over Final Fantasy XIII. While it doesn’t correct every flaw from its predecessor and brings a few new ones of its own, Final Fantasy XIII-2 takes several steps forwards to be that much closer to being the game that the original should have been all along.

Talking about DLC, what's the price for Omega Weapon?

Free in Japan, preorder exclusive in the US (of course it'll be made available for download but I'm pretty certain they haven't announced a price yet).

Omega's apparently not all that great as a summoned monster compared to Kichu, anyway.

Free in Japan, preorder exclusive in the US (of course it'll be made available for download but I'm pretty certain they haven't announced a price yet).

Omega's apparently not all that great as a summoned monster compared to Kichu, anyway.

Man, how I hate that pre-order exclusive thing. So, we'll be able to summon Omega? Awesome, but I really just want to fight it anyway =p

Very good review Kagari. Definitely increases my excitement. Sounds like despite the problems that there's a lot of positives as well. I wasn't super excited with the 360 demo but after playing the PS3 demo which ran a lot better, I was able to stop being concerned about the performance and thus "got into" the game a lot more.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I've never played or seen the game yet, but I just want to smack Noel.
He's actually a pretty decent character. Not really like Tidus at all.

Haven't really seen anything beyond screenshots. He just reminds me so much of Tidus in terms of design, especially those stupid baggy pants with different leg lengths.
My dad always used to make a point to bash Tidus's pants and his whiny personality whenever my parents watched me play FFX when I was a teenager. Tidus did have stupid pants.

At least there are alternate costumes... though the ones we've seen aren't very great.

Yaaaaay.

*opens* I like these parts, actually...
At first I was afraid Serah would ruin the game for me, but honestly she's not all bad. I really liked the addition of Noel. He's a strong character, if a little cliché, but makes up for it with a positive attitude and being a much better protector than Snow. I would have liked to see the story revolve a little more around him as I was always looking to see where his... tale would lead next.
Welcome changes to the graphical components of the game really shine through in new animations. I felt that as a whole, both Noel and Serah's modeling were quite good compared to some of the gameplay models that were present in XIII. Both characters have a lot more subtle animations and reactions that give them much more realism. Pay attention to the way Serah's hair moves. It's a lot more fluid and realistic this time around. She'll also wipe her forehead once in a while having run for quite a distance. In battles, too, you'll see a lot more complex moves, namely with Noel completing some pretty impressive flips and sword play. It's little things like these that really add to the immersion of XIII-2's world.
I agree on both counts, in particular, the animation bit. The animations in the demo were fantastic. Whoever decided to add in Noel's animations for his swordplay and blitz attacks is my hero.

Very well-written review. I liked that you broke the game down piece by piece... something I don't really see a lot of reviews do in recent times.

RPGCrazied

Found this awesome 1080p wallpaper. Never seen it before. I'm sure some of you have, just thought I'd share with yall though.

1920_1080_201201040106331669979.jpg

link to the full size wallpaper:

http://www.v3wall.com/wallpaper/1920_1080/1201/1920_1080_201201040106331669979.jpg

Curufinwe

XIII-2 definitely has a lot of interesting ideas packed into its story; In fact, there were many moments I felt had the potential to be quite moving, standing up there with some classic Final Fantasy moments - but unfortunately nearly all of them fall flat, especially towards the end of the game. It's tough to explain this stuff without spoiling the game, but I can say that those looking for a resolution to the stories of the characters from XIII or XIII-2 will be sorely disappointed.

Very disappointing, but I'm still going to get the game. Eventually.

CloudV

Kagari, good review, I agree with pretty much most of what you said.

2 small points just to note, from my understanding Noel excels in Attacker, Healer, Enhancer, and Sera in Blaster, Defender, Jammer. I thought it was quite weird that way, but ability wise, Sera is supposed to be the better defender. Not that I ever used her in that role myself, that was was my silver chocobo was for.

Second, on the mog clock battle, if you hit the enemy any time while the clock is up, you'd get haste and preemptive strike. If they run into you the battle is normal, and if the clock runs out you can't restart. The green section was only to indicate that if you accidentally run into the enemy at that time it won't start a battle. Once it runs to yellow, then it would.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Nice review Kagari, even if I didn't play the game yet, I feel you're review does alot in staying concrete and realistic. I even found bits of infos I still didn't know, and that's a surprise. I just hope we'll have different opinions about the story, because I wanna enjoy it :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari, good review, I agree with pretty much most of what you said.

2 small points just to note, from my understanding Noel excels in Attacker, Healer, Enhancer, and Sera in Blaster, Defender, Jammer. I thought it was quite weird that way, but ability wise, Sera is supposed to be the better defender. Not that I ever used her in that role myself, that was was my silver chocobo was for.

Second, on the mog clock battle, if you hit the enemy any time while the clock is up, you'd get haste and preemptive strike. If they run into you the battle is normal, and if the clock runs out you can't restart. The green section was only to indicate that if you accidentally run into the enemy at that time it won't start a battle. Once it runs to yellow, then it would.

Er yeah, somehow that mog clock bit got mixed up in the editing process, fixed now.

As for the roles, I'll double check but I'm pretty sure Noel is the better Defender.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Serah has ライズガード but Noel has リジェネガード.

IMO, リジェネガード is better than ライズガード just because of the added defense + regenerative properties. That kind of makes Noel more ideal to me. Plus he should have more HP than Serah, right?

Let's see... Both get seven abilities. Noel gets his abilities sooner than Serah as a whole.

Serah's Defender abilities are:
  • Provoke
  • Steelguard
  • バオルガード (Bar-All Guard? Does this replace the Bar abilities that ENH would normally use? I guess they'd translate this as Elemental Guard in English)
  • エリアバリア (Fringeward - When Defender is targeted by an attack, any party members who also get attacked in that same attack will receive 35% less damage)
  • リベンジモード(Revenge Mode - Vendetta - each time DEF uses Vendetta in the bar increases final counter damage by 10%; the more damage they take during this time, the more damage they deal back)
  • ピンチバリア (Pinch Barrier - Deathward)
  • ラストリーヴ (Last Life - Reprieve)
Ehhh... She seems like she has standard Defender abilities. I do think it's kind of funny she got Steelguard. LOL.

Noel's Defender abilities are:
  • Provoke
  • Mediguard
  • Fringeward
  • Pinch Barrier/Deathward
  • リベンジチャージ (Revenge Charge - Entrench - each time DEF uses Entrench in the ATB bar increases the final counter damage by 30%; the longer DEF guards, the more damage they deal back)
  • Bar-All Guard/Elemental Guard
  • Reprieve
I dunno... Noel looks better to me, but that's because I place a higher importance on Mediguard and getting abilities earlier. Serah apparently doesn't get ラストリーヴ until Lv 50. Noel gets it at Lv 40. Prior to ラストリーヴ, Noel gets all of his abilities prior to Lv 20, while Serah takes time to get her abilities (2 prior to Lv 10, one at Lv 10, Lv 18, Lv 26, Lv 33, Lv 50).

Great review, Kagari.

Informative in a way that I haven't been informed in a review since, I... honestly can't recall.

As far as the environments and whatnot, are they interesting to explore? Mechanically, the game seems rather sound with the improvements made. I'm wondering whether or not I'll enjoy running around just doing shit going off of the area in the demo. That place was just awful

Oemenia

Banned
Yeah great review, whats your final verdict on the games visuals. Technical downgrades aside, would you say that it still has a great artstyle, in fact does the game world feel inviting (as they did in FFX and FFXII with their levels of linearity and freedom)?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Great review, Kagari.

Informative in a way that I haven't been informed in a review since, I... honestly can't recall.

As far as the environments and whatnot, are they interesting to explore? Mechanically, the game seems rather sound with the improvements made. I'm wondering whether or not I'll enjoy running around just doing shit going off of the area in the demo. That place was just awful

Some of them area, I guess this one might be up to personal preference though. There's several fragments you have to get by 100% exploring all maps, so if you want to 100% the game you'll have to explore everything anyway.

Yeah great review, whats your final verdict on the games visuals. Technical downgrades aside, would you say that it still has a great artstyle, in fact does the game world feel inviting (as they did in FFX and FFXII with their levels of linearity and freedom)?

The art style is good, yes. I just wish Toriyama would have keep his creepy waifu stuff out of it.

PK Gaming

Serah has ライズガード but Noel has リジェネガード.

IMO, リジェネガード is better than ライズガード just because of the added defense + regenerative properties. That kind of makes Noel more ideal to me. Plus he should have more HP than Serah, right?

Let's see... Both get seven abilities. Noel gets his abilities sooner than Serah as a whole.

Serah's Defender abilities are:
  • Provoke
  • Steelguard
  • バオルガード (Bar-All Guard? Does this replace the Bar abilities that ENH would normally use? I guess they'd translate this as Elemental Guard in English)
  • エリアバリア (Fringeward - When Defender is targeted by an attack, any party members who also get attacked in that same attack will receive 35% less damage)
  • リベンジモード(Revenge Mode - Vendetta - each time DEF uses Vendetta in the bar increases final counter damage by 10%; the more damage they take during this time, the more damage they deal back)
  • ピンチバリア (Pinch Barrier - Deathward)
  • ラストリーヴ (Last Life - Reprieve)
Ehhh... She seems like she has standard Defender abilities. I do think it's kind of funny she got Steelguard. LOL.

Noel's Defender abilities are:
  • Provoke
  • Mediguard
  • Fringeward
  • Pinch Barrier/Deathward
  • リベンジチャージ (Revenge Charge - Entrench - each time DEF uses Entrench in the ATB bar increases the final counter damage by 30%; the longer DEF guards, the more damage they deal back)
  • Bar-All Guard/Elemental Guard
  • Reprieve
I dunno... Noel looks better to me, but that's because I place a higher importance on Mediguard and getting abilities earlier. Serah apparently doesn't get ラストリーヴ until Lv 50. Noel gets it at Lv 40. Prior to ラストリーヴ, Noel gets all of his abilities prior to Lv 20, while Serah takes time to get her abilities (2 prior to Lv 10, one at Lv 10, Lv 18, Lv 26, Lv 33, Lv 50).

Hold on a minute, did they remove Elude?!? That was my favorite Sen ability. First Haste now this? Bah.

Tizoc

Well, after 30-40 hours of post game grinding (resulting in a total time of under 70 hours), I finally got it folks-
HUNmA.jpg

3Ja4g.jpg

Major thanks to Dark Schalla for the tips, I took down that big blue turtle easier than I thought lol.

Looking forward to FF13-2, and hopefull the difficulty is upped in the Eng. release.

mudkyp

Well I finally got it folks-

Major thanks to Dark Schalla for the tips, I took down that big blue turtle easier than I thought lol.

Looking forward to FF13-2, and hopefull the difficulty is upped in the Eng. release.

Grats! How long did it take you?

Top Bottom