• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Not everyone hates the game. I know the hate is strong in this installment, but I rather liked it myself. When I read the datalog.... without it, its kinda confusing.

The datalog is really necessary. I played the first time without even knowing what's a fal'Cie or l'Cie. But fortunately, I read the datalog as soon as it's was avaliable from the menu.

Zoe

I guess I never noticed the problem with depending on the datalog because I followed the pre-release media so closely...

Toth

And therein lies the flaw.

To be fair, the vast amount of CRPGs have so much backstories and world history in their codexes and books that you need to read them to understand the naunces of their games' respective stories. Even DA requires a good reading of the Codex to understand what the Darkspawn are and the basic history of the world and countries of DA. You would be pretty lost otherwise.

That being said, I LOVE things like datalogs because I love reading more about a world I am experiencing.

Not everyone hates the game. I know the hate is strong in this installment, but I rather liked it myself. When I read the datalog.... without it, its kinda confusing.

I don't hate it either; I think it's a solid RPG; but I am surprised that the ending gets any love.

I'm serious! It's beautiful.

Well, it looks beautiful. Yet

XIII's ending is awful and feels pretty rushed. Here's a Deus ex machine and some sacrifice out of nowhere!

...yeah.

I find that while most FFs have strong stories they don't have strong endings, but I don't mind, as it's the journey not the destination that matters most. XIII though has a pretty not good story through most of it, so having it end up poor (IMO) was extra disappointing.

P.S. I read the Datalog religiously.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's a reason the 360 version was able to fit on one disc this time :lol

There are only 2 CG scenes (opening and ending)? :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Do they play New World in the ending?

Yakusoku no Basho played for me :D

But as far as CG scenes go... there's the opening... then one quite close to the opening... then one flash back in chapter 1... then 20 hours into the game there's another big one... and then there's the ending.

Dunan

If they're actually going to do this, I'll have to laugh at their audacity.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations did this too
making us players go all the way to Youtube just to see it
; stay classy, Ubisoft!

I'm waiting for the English version as well; I found myself losing precious instants playing FFXIII when paradigm shifting just because it takes just a tiny bit longer to read and process the Japanese in the item lists and Optima Change menus than it does with English. Score one for SE's innovative and frenetically-paced battle system, but those hundredths of a second in reaction time really add up!

Played the ps3 demo today and I'm glad I did. Saved me 60$, and I actually enjoyed ff13.
Serah looks delicious, and the voice acting sounds good, graphics feel tweaked however they also come across as a little busy. Appreciate the faster switching in battles but dont understand the monster garbage, wonky camera, framerate felt worse, battles felt boring, and the stupid trigger button presses meed to stay in other genres of games. Not digging the designs of the weapons either. This just isnty cup of tea amd I even enjoyed ffx-2.

kx11

Banned
The ones that exist are at least lengthy... and looked really sharp on my TV :>

you are talking about the PS3 version

anyone looking for those sharp cgi events you better get the PS3 version

if not the 360 version seems fine although i played the demo and it had some frame drops

I ended up loving FF13 after going back to it 1 year after release, not the greatest FF but definitely one of the better JRPG's this gen. I played the demo for 13-2 about 3 times, and loved it too.

I have three concerns though:

1) Are there really towns and cities to explore? The demo "town" is hardly a town, more like a outpost in some ruins. I mean a town/city a la FF12 or Lost Odyssey?

2)Are there open fields to explore. My fave part in 13 proper was when you get to Pulse.

3) Is the story in 13-2 a direct sequel or not? Ive kept myself in the dark about this part, but from the little Ive read, its more an alternate reality story with time travel, is this correct?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
; stay classy, Ubisoft!

I'm waiting for the English version as well; I found myself losing precious instants playing FFXIII when paradigm shifting just because it takes just a tiny bit longer to read and process the Japanese in the item lists and Optima Change menus than it does with English. Score one for SE's innovative and frenetically-paced battle system, but those hundredths of a second in reaction time really add up!
LOL, really? You're kidding. That's just ... what. :lol

Yeah, I noticed that I took time to Optima Change/select items in the item menu when I played the JP version of FFXIII because I had to take the extra time to process and read the thing. When I played the English version, everything was pretty quick. Since the thing about CSB is to be efficient, seconds to think and process a second language can add up and damage your time.

I'm kind of glad I'm not playing a Tales game while I play this, though. I played Tales of Graces f and tried to plat FFXIII at the same time and that didn't work out so well in terms of me wishing for more AI adjustments (ie: keep your distance, auto-item, etc), and character movement within battle. >.>

Oh speaking of character movement, the formations in FFXIII-2 aren't what I thought they'd be at all! They're either: fixate on one enemy, spread out, or make the character behave the way the roles make them behave. I thought I'd be setting where the characters moved in combat, but it doesn't seem to be the case... Knowing that some people didn't even bother with that part of the system, I guess it doesn't really matter in the long run.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
XIII-3 will only have one playable character. No other party members and no other monsters. Just one character!

And it will be an FPS with Hope shooting all sorts of boomerangs.

Grisby

; stay classy, Ubisoft!
Not really. The ending to Revelations was pretty damn good and satisfactory to me, easily being the best part of the game. If your talking about the Embers movie that was an add on deal.

I can see people wanting that ending to the main game but if they hadn't chose to make that movie I think Ezio's deal would have been completely fine.

kx11

Banned
i thought these shots are cool

GziC2.jpg

ZCO7m.jpg

70Sou.jpg

Dunan

Not really. The ending to Revelations was pretty damn good and satisfactory to me, easily being the best part of the game. If your talking about the Embers movie that was an add on deal.

I can see people wanting that ending to the main game but if they hadn't chose to make that movie I think Ezio's deal would have been completely fine.

I may have to stand corrected eventually, but I read the novelization of the game first, and the "Embers" portion is presented as part of the story; not an epilogue or afterword ar anything like that.

So when the game suddenly ended just before that part, and the menu was urging me to "buy AC: Embers for just $3.99!", I was somewhat agape. Fortunately I could go to Youtube and see it, and
it was slightly different from what was in the book -- in the book, Ezio's second child, Marcello, is featured more prominently; fewer people notice Ezio breathing his last in the book and Sofia has a moment to consider how to tell the children; there are a few other differences.

Without Embers, the endings of Ezio's and Altair's stories don't quite provide the balance in closure that you get with Embers included. Both of them end their lives
in the same place where their Assassin careers began as their enemies tried to kill them
; both
die peacefully having defeated their enemies and returned home

I love AC so much that it didn't detract from the game for me, but if I weren't a big AC fan going in, I'd be shaking my head at their chutzpah, and probably wouldn't have walked away from the AC2 trilogy feeling as satisfied as I did having seen Ezio's life all the way through.

Top Bottom