• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

cj_iwakura

So the new Crystarium. If I'm seeing this right, all roles are in the same plane, and you just choose which to upgrade at each upgrade point?

You can just tell his hatred for the plot of this. He starts off with saying the best moments in FF deal with story, citing stuff from FF4, FF6, FF7, etc. He then completely outlines how bad FF13-2's story is in comparison without spoiling it (or to an extremely tiny degree). I just thought it was kind of funny because it's like he's trying to prove how the FF series has lost its way by comparing the plot of this (and to a degree, the original FF13) with previous entries.

Didn't you say the more you thought about the story/characters the more irritated you got? lol. Well, I will wait to see Jan 31.

No, it did not get a great score for its story.

"Gears has never had terribly compelling fiction and the entire arc of this final chapter is beyond predictable, but at least it’s a coherent story that doesn’t need a wiki and a three-month ARG to decipher. I’ll never hate on anyone declaring their indifference to Gears’ plot, but that’s not the reason to play through the campaign." http://www.gameinformer.com/games/g...ster-finale-millions-of-fans-are-craving.aspx

Well if we exclude FF7, then that only includes FFX-2. X-2, sure, was more focused on that stuff you mentioned, but I don't believe if you asked people what they play ANY FF for, they won't reply with the story. And I think that's the point he was making...these improvements are all good, but the reason why a lot of people play, story, is lacking. I'm not saying other elements are equally important, but I think FF is popular because of their usually impressive narrative.

I definitely do NOT play FF for story, ever. Gameplay only please.

I guess it's a 9 if I don't take any story into account? The demo makes it seem like it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I definitely do NOT play FF for story, ever.

I would say a smart man wouldn't bet on any given FF having a good story in this day and age. But FF has occasionally had wonderful stories, and they probably will again at some point in the future..... just not from the XIII team (and I wouldn't expect great intelligence from Versus either... just a hunch).

Bring back Matsuno! Hell, even Masato Kato pulled off some really decent RPG plots... bring him to FF!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I would say a smart man wouldn't bet on any given FF having a good story in this day and age. But FF has occasionally had wonderful stories, and they probably will again at some point in the future..... just not from the XIII team (and I wouldn't expect great intelligence from Versus either... just a hunch).

Bring back Matsuno! Hell, even Masato Kato pulled off some really decent RPG plots... bring him to FF!

Versus has Nojima, so at least there's some hope there...

But dear lord do they need to ditch Watanabe.

BocoDragon

Versus has Nojima, so at least there's some hope there...

But dear lord do they need to ditch Watanabe.

Didn't Nojima help with the XIII scenario...?

But actually the overall XIII scenario was great... It was the actual writing and specific plot details which were awful, and that was Watanabe's job...

No. The gameplay and level design still has flaws.

I'll have to see what those are. I'm pretty lenient on FF games. My bar for this one is "at least better than XIII."

I think 6 is the only one to have a story I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish.

I don't think they'll top that. They try too damn hard nowadays and focus so much on fashion and stylishness and weird nouns that you need a separate dictionary for to translate. XII and XIII may as well be in some dead language. I'm loving Sera's "shrug" animation in the demo (I know, she's just feeling the rain) because everyone in XIII-2 so far is blabbing some nonsense.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm not worried about the ShootieHG tracks... They're kinda bro-ey and don't strike me as something that would be cut for offending western sensibilities (they are likely to anger the FF nerds more than the masses, actually :p)

And those Joelle tracks.... They do not sound awkward and are very beautiful. If they get cut, someone at Square Enix needs their head checked.
She probably got replaced with Leona Lewis. :/
Same with the New Bodhum tracks..
I think the Shootie HG tracks are hilarious. Perhaps it's because I'm used to blasting some of the DMC soundtracks during my commute or something. I don't really mind the style at all. :lol

I wonder if Aimee Blackschleger would know anything about Invisible Invaders at all?

To be honest, I'm a tad worried about TIME AND SPACE here, but you don't really spend extraordinarily long on the Historia Crux Menu unless you're looking at menu options like the Fragments and stuff, so that might not get the axe either. Outside of that bit, the vocals are pretty subtle.

XII and XIII may as well be in some dead language.
To be fair... FFXIII does employ quite a bit of Latin. :lol

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Didn't Nojima help with the XIII scenario...?

But actually the overall XIII scenario was great... It was the actual writing and specific plot details which were awful, and that was Watanabe's job...

13's scenario is all Toriyama and Watanabe.
Nojima is behind the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos.

BocoDragon

I think 6 is the only one to have a story I genuinely enjoyed from start to finish.

I can agree with that.

I don't think they'll top that. They try too damn hard nowadays and focus so much on fashion and stylishness and weird nouns that you need a separate dictionary for to translate. XII and XIII may as well be in some dead language.

I see where you're coming from. All the try-hard style and fantasy jargon.

But I don't mind that stuff... I think that within that framework, they could make a genuine story masterpiece still.... but they have the wrong people in charge of the writing.

Basically... someone on this planet could create something amazing even with the modern FF trappings of hairspray and Sun Crist/Fal'Cie gobbledeegook... but I'm not sure if those people are currently working at Square Enix...

13's scenario is all Toriyama and Watanabe.
Nojima is behind the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos.

Ok... not bad. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on Versus....

I just would not be surprised if it turns out to be empty posturing and indecipherable, incoherent nonsense, because that's par for the FF course these days. I hope to be proven wrong....

To be honest, I'm a tad worried about TIME AND SPACE here, but you don't really spend extraordinarily long on the Historia Crux Menu unless you're looking at menu options like the Fragments and stuff, so that might not get the axe either. Outside of that bit, the vocals are pretty subtle.

I am too..... and it would be a damn shame. I love how the pop vocals come out of nowhere, minutes into a very non-pop song. The actual "time and space" lyrics are alllllmost "that kind of awkward", but as you say, it's a tiny thing. Hopefully it slips by.

Man... I wish FF was defining the new zeitgeist and telling us what the new hot sound is, rather than pre-emptively censoring themselves in order to appease our apparently "made-up western minds". :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Something that annoyed me in the demo was that you needed to be pressed right up against something to be able to jump over it. If you jumped a bit too early, you didn't jump high enough. Was it like this in XIII too (only played the demo of that, and that was a good while ago)?

Zoe

Something that annoyed me in the demo was that you needed to be pressed right up against something to be able to jump over it. If you jumped a bit too early, you didn't jump high enough. Was it like this in XIII too (only played the demo of that, and that was a good while ago)?

Jumping could only happen on action marks in the first game.

Jumping could only happen on action marks in the first game.

this is the first FF with a dedicated jump button, no? thought that was nifty. Seems like they did everything to keep you from feeling like you were just pushing some polygons through a corridor like XIII.

Respawn

Banned
Played the demo and just hated it. In fact I just can't stand the way FF is these days. I'll get X on VITA. Will pass on this one and will see how vs is.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Tried the demo and the missing lyrics is annoying. So is the weird muffled rap for Worlds Collide... It's like one of those lousy programs that 'remove vocals' by just muffling stuff...

Also, shopaholic me bought the two DLC costumes...Don't be like me...They look really awful and out of place.

jimmypython

Hi all, any ideas what is the best way to put money on Japanese PSN account? i think i have to do so for the upcoming story DLCs, since i've imported the game and don't want to buy a NA version just for DLC.....

PS. it seems i cannot use foreign country issued credit card.....

Dunan

Hi all, any ideas what is the best way to put money on Japanese PSN account? i think i have to do so for the upcoming story DLCs, since i've imported the game and don't want to buy a NA version just for DLC.....

PS. it seems i cannot use foreign country issued credit card.....

PSN cards are your best bet. I and several other J-Gaffers be happy to get them for people as they can be bought in any convenience store here in Tokyo. Send me a PM; if you'll Paypal me the value, I'll get you the card.

this is the first FF with a dedicated jump button, no? thought that was nifty. Seems like they did everything to keep you from feeling like you were just pushing some polygons through a corridor like XIII.

That's honnextly the only reason they did this.. the jumping in FF13 was boring but wasn't borken ..heck i didn't care about it .

jimmypython

PSN cards are your best bet. I and several other J-Gaffers be happy to get them for people as they can be bought in any convenience store here in Tokyo. Send me a PM; if you'll Paypal me the value, I'll get you the card.

oh thanks a lot. i'll do it after they announce the DLCs.

kx11

Banned

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I said gosh darn at these mk2 reviews. Lots of dislike for the narrative, and I see some of it for the lack of balancing. Edit: Oh, yikes, don't pass this through a translator or read some of them if you don't want to be spoiled on the story!

I am too..... and it would be a damn shame. I love how the pop vocals come out of nowhere, minutes into a very non-pop song. The actual "time and space" lyrics are alllllmost "that kind of awkward", but as you say, it's a tiny thing. Hopefully it slips by.

Man... I wish FF was defining the new zeitgeist and telling us what the new hot sound is, rather than pre-emptively censoring themselves in order to appease our apparently "made-up western minds". :/
It's actually really catchy. I disliked it at first, but as I listened to it more, I found that it's a very nice addition to the song. It makes it flow and progress a lot better than it would if it were only instrumental.

And it's funny that you say that because I attribute that kind of "trendy" feeling to Atlus now. Vocal songs, rap, classical remixes and rock are very common across those soundtracks and I don't really see people complaining about it. I find it odd that SE would see the same things that Atlus uses for games across all regions as problematic or not appealing to westerners. Edit: I thought SE was on a roll when it came to Nier and FFXIII's soundtracks, at least. If the theme is truly censored in the retail English version, then I don't know what to say to that...

RPGCrazied

I only owe $10 now. I plopped $100 down on my CE guide and CE game today. They were gift cards from Christmas. :p I just had to get the 4 disc soundtrack. The artbook seems kinda meh, but anyway. The CE guide is sexy as hell. I have the XIII one. High quality stuff.

I was deciding on whether or not to get the CE stuff, but the demo sold me on it. So the story isn't very good. I liked XIII, but I'm easily amused. The only thing I don't like is the cliffhanger ending people talk about, but surely one of those upcoming DLC will have a real ending. Shame I have to pay more $$$ to see the real ending, but whatever.

I have a feeling I'm going to buy all DLC for this game too.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Shame I have to pay more $$$ to see the real ending, but whatever.
If they're actually going to do this, I'll have to laugh at their audacity.

I have to pay my LE off too. Might do that next week since I have some Christmas money to spend. I guess I'll be joining PAL-GAF when this is released since I play console games only on weekends (ah, nah, I'll find some way to play this on launch day).

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Demo kinda interested me, the Pokemon element was interesting at least. Plot seems to be absolutely fucking incomprehensible, but then I couldnt force myself to play FF13 beyond the first quarter or probably less.

Was kinda skirting looking into it, but if this really does have a DLC Ending, fuck me. Square deserve this franchise to fucking die for all their mis-steps.

Zoe

It's either that or XIII-3. If they don't think another sequel is worth the investment then the only other thing they can do is DLC.

They need to make back the money spent on developing their engine somehow.

Demo kinda interested me, the Pokemon element was interesting at least. Plot seems to be absolutely fucking incomprehensible, but then I couldnt force myself to play FF13 beyond the first quarter or probably less.

Was kinda skirting looking into it, but if this really does have a DLC Ending, fuck me. Square deserve this franchise to fucking die for all their mis-steps.

Not really....Why did you expect enough of a plot in a demo anyway ?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So FF13 will be the 3-game project all by its widely unloved self and drag the brand down further. Or another example of DLC gone too far. Win win.

I didn't expect some grand example slice of storytelling in the demo, but it threw enough nonsense words at me with an absolutely abstract setup of preppy young man with plastic swords, character from the previous game and comedy relief moogle amongst talk of paradox effects, referring to a giant boss beastie as a paradox, collecting pokemon, and then solving some machine with simplistic maze-route puzzlery followed by QTE's (Asura demo already gave me 1000% of my weekly intake allowance of them) that the whole thing felt like a bad trip.

Is this game a sort of "TRY EVERYTHING!!!!!" response to critical reception?

I'll take a XIII-3 as long as they keep improving the world and graphics. Also get rid of monsters and have actual party members. I don't care what the gaming community wants and likes anyway. They suck and can have their lame FF7 remake.

Riposte

All I want XIII-3 is for it to be harder than the hardest parts of FFXIII and not only at the end, which means level capping (if not leveling capping exclusive to a "hard mode"). Make the combat system matter if you are going to have one with a bunch of shit in it.

Top Bottom