• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Is the PS3 version like the 360 one?
Because by god was the framerate in the 360 demo shit.
Utter, utter shit.

PS3 has a "much better framerate" meaning its playable and mostly decent. But it still has far more issues than FF13 had.

Edit: PS3 is avg around 24-26 fps in most open areas with 28-30fps in battle. 360 seems to have sub 20 in many areas and the average is more like 22. However this is only analysis I've seen from demo comparisons and some Japanese comparisons. Who's to say how the whole game fairs.

PS3 has a "much better framerate" meaning its playable and mostly decent. But it still has far more issues than FF13 had.
The 360 version was just as decent and playable.

No where near as bad as XIII when it came to Gran Pulse or how people are making it to be. It's like people are claiming it's another Last Remnant or something.

Zoe

I can read story synopsis. But hence I said "sounds" bad. I didn't say it was.

Don't see you questioning anyone else who's said the same thing.

Synopses will only tell you so much. Only one other person has responded to that question in the negative, and it was nowhere near as absolute.

Synopses will only tell you so much. Only one other person has responded to that question in the negative, and it was nowhere near as absolute.
There have been constant posts in this thread from those that have not played it saying the story sounds bad or "hey don't expect a good story, it will probably be bad". Hell a lot of posts have declared the story will be bad without playing it. My post was no where near absolute and worded as a guess and not as an actual expert answer.

I'm not sure what the issue is here.

The 360 version was just as decent and playable.

No where near as bad as XIII when it came to Gran Pulse or how people are making it to be. It's like people are claiming it's another Last Remnant or something.

So the real game is better than the demo then? Because the 360 version is running terribly in the demo.

Cheska

c4tJN.jpg

Just got the pre-order steelbook case. I'm fully psyched for this!

Which place gave those out already?

How far into the game is that section?

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

Thanks Kagari but I'm trying to keep away from seeing new gameplay areas as much as possible. I'm trying to evade spoilers regarding story and areas I'll visit in the final game. Infact I've seen only the first three trailers published (teaser, E3, TGS ps3) 'till now. I've been burned by XIII's marketing campaign that spoilered me every single area of the game and every story climax scene 'till the ending chapter. It was very annoying. So even if I'm curious to see what did you post, I'm sorry I'll have to refrain from seeing it :p

There's really only one platforming stage. You won't die die (mostly cause there really is no death anymore), but you'll be sent back to a checkpoint.

So there's a bit of trial and error. Sounds cool, but sadly platforming appears to be just in one area. I hope they keep working on jump mechanics in the next episodes of the series too then.

royalan

Watching Adult Swim, just saw my first FFXIII-2 ad.

Wow, if there's anything that I'll take from this gen, it's that the gap between Japan and the West has never been wider.

-Cheesy pop Forever 21 ballad.

-Close-ups on Serah's emo face staring into the distance with some vague voiceover about life.

-Unnecessarily quick and vague glimpses of gameplay.

It's a typical Square-Enix commercial, in other words. And it's not going to do a single thing to attract audiences to this game. It's sad, really.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
No chances the dev.team took the two months from the japanese release to improve the code eh?

Thanks god I didn't click lol

Don't games usually go gold around a month to 2 months before release? If so then I doubt they would've had chance.

Perfo

Wow, if there's anything that I'll take from this gen, it's that the gap between Japan and the West has never been wider.

Just cultural differences. We bought for 30 yrs games that were cool to us because felt very different from what we produced. Why doing the same now suddendly feels bad I'll never get. If the answer to our change is Dragon's Dogma, failing to retain anything from the culture that developed it, then I stick with Final Fantasy or Nintendo for what I care. If I want to buy a japanese game, I want a true japanese game.

Toki767

For some reason I'm a lot less hyped for this game than I thought I'd be considering how close it is to release. I actually liked FFXIII for the most part but I don't know...I guess I kind of felt the same when X-2 came out. The original game ending was satisfying enough that I don't want to really taint the characters.

jimmypython

I don't know if anyone mentioned but be careful about XIII-2's Crystarium system. if you want to get highest stats for your characters, don't light the sphere randomly.

basically there are big and small spheres, when light the BIG ones you will get role bonus. for example, when you use Attacker/Commando role to light the big sphere, in addition to the regular stats boost, you will get additional 2 points to ATK

here is the effect breakdown for each role when using big spheres to level them:

Attacker/Commando: attack+2
Blaster/Ravager: magic+2
Defender/Sentinel: HP+6
Healer/Medic: HP+6
Enhancer/Synergist: when level is an even number, HP+6 (for example, when you rise a level 1 Enhancer to level 2 using a big sphere, you will get extra 6 points to HP); when odd, magic+2
Jammer/Saboteur: even: attack+2; odd, magic+2

so let's say you want Noel to have max attack, you will need to use ONLY the big spheres to level attacker and jammer when its level number is even.

tokkun

It's always amusing how people who criticize prevalent Japanese design aesthetics are labeled as narrow-minded or wanting everything to be the same. It's about as narrow-minded an argument as you can devise.

I can think of several 'very Japanese' games over the past 2 generations that have met with great acclaim for their style: Bayonetta, Ni no Kuni, The World Ends With You, Ouendan, Katamari Damacy, Persona 3, Valkyria Chronicles, and probably a lot more that don't immediately jump to my mind. These games made no bones about their Japanese stylistic choices, but also managed to feel fresh.

I don't care that FFXIII is Japanese, I care that it feels stale.

turnbuckle

I don't know if anyone mentioned but be careful about XIII-2's Crystarium system. if you want to get highest stats for your characters, don't light the sphere randomly.

basically there are big and small spheres, when light the BIG ones you will get role bonus. for example, when you use Attacker/Commando role to light the big sphere, in addition to the regular stats boost, you will get additional 2 points to ATK

here is the effect breakdown for each role when using big spheres to level them:

Attacker/Commando: attack+2
Blaster/Ravager: magic+2
Defender/Sentinel: HP+6
Healer/Medic: HP+6
Enhancer/Synergist: when level is an even number, HP+6 (for example, when you rise a level 1 Enhancer to level 2 using a big sphere, you will get extra 6 points to HP); when odd, magic+2
Jammer/Saboteur: even: attack+2; odd, magic+2

so let's say you want Noel to have max attack, you will need to use ONLY the big spheres to level attacker and jammer when its level number is even.

Thanks for posting that. I was thinking it worked this way but I only experimented a little with the demo. Little things like this where you feel like you have a bit of extra control on the build of your character get me so excited for this game. I don't even care if it ends up being easy, I like being able to build a dominating party that isn't completely limited by pre-determined stat boosts. I generally care far more about Str/Mg than HP.

HAttyboy

Hi, I was wondering what Serah and Noels "main" roles are? Like, in FFXIII Snow was SEN, Lightning RAV etc... anyone know? Also, should Serah be SYN and Noel SAB or revenrsed?

Curufinwe

-Close-ups on Serah's emo face staring into the distance with some vague voiceover about life.

It's a typical Square-Enix commercial, in other words. And it's not going to do a single thing to attract audiences to this game. It's sad, really.

You sure it won't attract female gamers? They are a huge percentage of the audience compared to most other big-name series.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You sure it won't attract female gamers? They are a huge percentage of the audience compared to most other big-name series.

As a female gamer, the ad is fairly terrible.

Lets not forget that female audiences in Japan pretty much shunned this game... I think the emphasis on pink, positioning Serah as a main character, misleading Lightning marketing, and the connection to FFXIII didn't do it any favors.

Oh, and the theme song is pretty bland as well.

jimmypython

Hi, I was wondering what Serah and Noels "main" roles are? Like, in FFXIII Snow was SEN, Lightning RAV etc... anyone know? Also, should Serah be SYN and Noel SAB or revenrsed?

the following is based on the Japanese version:

they start with the same three roles (Com/Rav/Sen). i think they do have preference tho, spoiler:
Noel=Com, Serah=Rav
. Also, they will get different skills (i.e. type and quantity) for the same role.

my recommendation is Noel as
Com/Syn
whereas Serah as
Rav/Sab

survivor

Banned

I feel sorry for the people who had to make the ad. They just can't show a talking scene without it sounding cheesy. If I were them I would just spam gameplay footage.

turnbuckle

Yeah, I saw the ad a couple days ago and thought it was pretty awful. Not sure how it would convince anyone who isn't already interested in the game to buy it.

Kikujiro

It's an ad, it's not important how artistically or morally good it is, the only thing it needs to do it's to sell the game to the casual audience.

Cornbread78

I'm still trying to avoid this thread liek the plague... It's just SOO hard!

Countdown: Until Final Fantasy XIII-2:, has 11 day 11 hour 50 min 27 sec.

I just have to keep looking at the above.... soon enough!

RPGCrazied

When do you think they will talk about DLC? After US release? They kinda been pretty silent on the subject. Other than a few costumes and a boss battle.

Perfo

These games made no bones about their Japanese stylistic choices, but also managed to feel fresh.

So did XIII. The art direction in that game is top notch, together with XII probably the best in the series too, I don't get your hate sincerely.

The main fault of the ad is too much CG

Most of videogame trailers do that (Halo, Gears of War, Dragon Age, to mention a few), I don't see what's wrong with XIII-2 commercial. If I were them actually, I'd go for fully CG trailer a la Bioware; massive graphic catch more attention than few secs of chaotic menu-based gameplay. Infact what's bad in the commercial imho, are just the gameplay scenes lol.

Most of videogame trailers do that (Halo, Gears of War, Dragon Age, to mention a few), I don't see what's wrong with XIII-2 commercial. If I were them actually, I'd go for fully CG trailer a la Bioware; massive graphic catch more attention than few secs of chaotic menu-based gameplay. Infact what's bad in the commercial imho, are the gameplay phases lol.
It's wrong because it's related to XIII. That's really all it is, let's be serious.

pretty hyped for this game, demo was great and loved the new additions

question for importers my monster team will probably be made of classic monsters, cactuar,chocobo and behemoth (sp>), how do the classic monsters stack up near the end? will my chocobo/behemoth's be outshined by other monsters or are all monster pretty even?

pretty hyped for this game, demo was great and loved the new additions

question for importers my monster team will probably be made of classic monsters, cactuar,chocobo and behemoth (sp>), how do the classic monsters stack up near the end? will my chocobo/behemoth's be outshined by other monsters or are all monster pretty even?

Oh thats a great idea. I think Ill do the same. Too bad you cant recruit a Moogle as a fighter.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
It's a sequel no one wanted?

It also has mechanics that the original game should've had. Honestly I think they made it to sort of redeem themselves and by the looks of it, since I haven't played it yet, they have done so in the aspect of gameplay but just made the story worse.

Top Bottom