• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
But they made so many changes seemingly in direct response to fans complaints about XIII, and most of them seem to have been changes for the better based on the demo and on the reviews I've read.

I think also the shrinking console market in Japan plays a part.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
But they made so many changes seemingly in direct response to fans complaints about XIII, and most of them seem to have been changes for the better based on the demo and on the reviews I've read.

"Fixing the small issues while the big ones got worse."

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seems like the battle system is still the main reason someone might want to play this. I didn't think FFXIII's story was horrible or anything, how much better (or worse) is XIII-2's story?

It starts off fine but there's so many holes and unresolved characters. Anyone going in expecting any resolution for ANY character will be disappointed.

Toki767

It starts off fine but there's so many holes and unresolved characters. Anyone going in expecting any resolution for ANY character will be disappointed.

So would you say that the game is fairly skipable? Or at least not necessarily worth the day 1 purchase?

Perfo

It seems the game's plot really ends up earlier than expected... waiting for XIII-3 resolution will kill me T.T

So based on Kagari's and others impressions, the actual story line campaign is about 30 hours? And if you do the side quests its bumps up to 60? And you can go back after the credits roll to complete side quests and unlock areas?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So would you say that the game is fairly skipable? Or at least not necessarily worth the day 1 purchase?

I don't know if I would say it's worth skipping, but I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

As for the campaign, I beat it in 25 hours, not even rushing. 65 hours total to 100%.

Toki767

I don't know if I would say it's worth skipping, but I don't see myself replaying it anytime soon.

As for the campaign, I beat it in 25 hours, not even rushing. 65 hours total to 100%.

The only other thing I'd ask is did the game ever feel like a chore to play through? I know people didn't exactly like the design of XIII but at no point did I ever really feel like it was a chore to play. Though that may be because I really liked the battle system and that was basically all you did.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Two questions please..
I've ordered the Crystal Edition from GAME who is also offering
This
10186335.jpg

and other stuff if you pre-order the with them, but as the crystal edition has sold out & has no product page, I ain't got a clue if I'll get a steel case too?
any ideas?

@Kagari
30/40 hours?
I PLAY my Final Fantasys and that seems really really short, like half a game short is that playing or ya reckon I'll get my 70 hours from it?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Seems like the battle system is still the main reason someone might want to play this. I didn't think FFXIII's story was horrible or anything, how much better (or worse) is XIII-2's story?
Ha ha, I concur, but I didn't like FFXIII's CSB very much in the main game. The battle system was boring for the majority of FFXIII, and then they finally included some harder battles in late-postgame that actually started making battles interesting.

The majority of the main game, to me (and I'm emphasizing this as I am in the small minority who think this way), battle-wise was a yawnfest, particularly because there was only so many Optima that you can assign with a two-person party while having limited choice in the amount of roles you have access to. This in turn makes the game a little easier as strategies become more obvious to the player due to the roles that the game lets them use. There was little reason to exert yourself as a player tactically because the game was essentially: boost Break Bar, Break, switch to Optima that allows you take advantage of the Staggered monster (usually Com/Com, Com/Rav, Com/Sab), battle end.

Late postgame--and the Bart battles, I might add--are the only parts of the game that let the player choose what he or she wanted to do in terms of given roles, strategizing against attack and efficiency. Finally being able to exert the battle system was pretty neat. If only they had more difficult battles like that in the main game, maybe I would have enjoyed CSB a little more.

At least Switch Leader is now an option to make battles feel more fluid. I like Switching Leader in between animations. It's fun.

SpaceBridge said:
Too bad you cant recruit a Moogle as a fighter.
Technically you did, since you throw him around and Serah uses him as her sword to whack things.

B.K.

It's not worth almost $70, right? I plan to get the game someday, but I'm going to wait until it has a price drop. I'm not paying full price for the game.

Perfo

It's not worth almost $70, right? I plan to get the game someday, but I'm going to wait until it has a price drop. I'm not paying full price for the game.

same. i'll pick this up when it's under $20, hopefully in 2-3 months.

Kagari imported the game for full price, put on it 70 hrs of her life, its her first platinum game, rated it with 8/10 and considered it overall a better game than XIII. You can figure out that the game is worth playing if... you like Final Fantasy, you like jRPGs and your conscious enough in realizing that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is still the only AAA jRPG you're gonna getting in this generation while waiting for Versus. I really can't see a lover of the genre and the series wanting to skip on this so lightly.

And let me add, speaking of how much is worth a game, any game, changes depending on the person and his tastes. Skyrim for me is not worth more than 20 euros, still the game gets much love around; at the same time I don't have problems putting 240 euros on two Crystal Editions of XIII-2, and I didn't have any problems buying too limited copies of XIII too, for me it was worth 'till the end. It depends on the player and what you generally like to play :p

Neil

Two questions please..
I've ordered the Crystal Edition from GAME who is also offering
This
10186335.jpg

and other stuff if you pre-order the with them, but as the crystal edition has sold out & has no product page, I ain't got a clue if I'll get a steel case too?
any ideas?

Yes you still get the pre-order bonus' with the Crystal Edition from GAME :)

Razgreez

...conscious enough in realizing that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is still the only AAA jRPG you're gonna getting in this generation while waiting for Versus. I really can't see a lover of the genre and the series wanting to skip on this so lightly.

This sort of sentiment kills me. I'd never call myself a lover of any videogame but FF games hold a proverbial special place in my heart due to the 1000s of hours of enjoyment i've had with them. Not because i had to "settle for what i got" but actually because the games ranged from great to exceptional, imo of course.

I don't exactly feel "entitled" to ask for/demand better but i am entitled to simply not pay for worse

Perfo

I don't exactly feel "entitled" to ask for/demand better but i am entitled to simply not pay for worse

Everyone stated that this sequel is better than the original so it's not the case. We're also not speaking of the sequel of a broken shitty game that got scored everywhere 4/10 and sold like crap because of so; with all the hate it could get, XIII remains a solid title, a solid RPG and a solid Final Fantasy. Missing expectations don't have anything to do with the quality itself of one game, and XIII was good enough to deserve the attention of most rpg players. You can say you didn't like it, but stating that it's a bad game is just unfair and simply not true.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Digital Foundry compares the demos.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-13-2-demo-analysis

Also some info on space used for FMVs

We're told that the disc structure of both versions is much the same, allowing for direct comparisons. A movie folder accounts for 1.64GB of data on PS3 (down from around 32GB on FF13, which tells its own story), while the 360 equivalent is just 188MB, indicating that while video sequences are sparse on the new game, they'll almost certainly look a whole lot better on the Sony console. However, this still doesn't account for the majority of the difference in data utilisation, which is centred on level assets. Uncompressed audio could may make a difference - but we'll be reserving judgement here until we've had a chance to get an extended playtest on both versions.

frequency

Everyone stated that this sequel is better than the original so it's not the case. We're also not speaking of the sequel of a broken shitty game that got scored everywhere 4/10 and sold like crap because of so; with all the hate it could get, XIII remains a solid title, a solid RPG and a solid Final Fantasy. Missing expectations don't have anything to do with the quality itself of one game, and XIII was good enough to deserve the attention of most rpg players. You can say you didn't like it, but stating that it's a bad game is just unfair and simply not true.

You wouldn't know it if you frequent GAF enough. Popular opinion here seems to be FFXIII is the worst thing ever created. For some people, if you hear it enough, you start to believe it.

Digital Foundry compares the demos.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-final-fantasy-13-2-demo-analysis

Also some info on space used for FMVs

We're told that the disc structure of both versions is much the same, allowing for direct comparisons. A movie folder accounts for 1.64GB of data on PS3 (down from around 32GB on FF13, which tells its own story), while the 360 equivalent is just 188MB, indicating that while video sequences are sparse on the new game, they'll almost certainly look a whole lot better on the Sony console. However, this still doesn't account for the majority of the difference in data utilisation, which is centred on level assets. Uncompressed audio could may make a difference - but we'll be reserving judgement here until we've had a chance to get an extended playtest on both versions.

So does that mean there are less pre-rendered cutscenes and more in-game? Or does it mean there are less cutscenes overall?

I know it's not popular opinion on GAF but... I really enjoy cutscenes in my Final Fantasy.

jimmypython

So does that mean there are less pre-rendered cutscenes and more in-game? Or does it mean there are less cutscenes overall?

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the total number of pre-rendered cutscenes is
2 (opening and ending)
. all others are real-time, because you can
change the camera angle in any of them after getting a certain skill
. and i think there is
no in-game engine pre-rendered/recorded cutscens (like most of FF13 cutscenes) what so ever
. the overall quantity is comparable to FF13 i think.

BTW, trust me, the quality of those real-time cutscenes is very high, just not as beautiful as FF13's in-game engine ones.

Perfo

For some people, if you hear it enough, you start to believe it.

Oh crap, does this mean I'm risking to fall for it too?:D

Speaking of XIII-2, does it include a Theater Mode this time?

BTW, trust me, the quality of those real-time cutscenes is very high, just not as beautiful as FF13's in-game engine ones.

Maybe you mean pre-rendered/recorded's ones? Because the in-engine cutscenes of XIII-2 are clearly superior to XIII's ones for what I've seen.

Zoe

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the total number of pre-rendered cutscenes is
2 (opening and ending)
. all others are real-time, because you can
change the camera angle in any of them after getting a certain skill
. and i think there is
no in-game engine pre-rendered/recorded cutscens (like most of FF13 cutscenes) what so ever
. the overall quantity is comparable to FF13 i think.

There are a few more than what you put down, but the number is in fact very small.

Such is the consequence of allowing changeable costumes and weapons.

B.K.

Kagari imported the game for full price, put on it 70 hrs of her life, its her first platinum game, rated it with 8/10 and considered it overall a better game than XIII. You can figure out that the game is worth playing if... you like Final Fantasy, you like jRPGs and your conscious enough in realizing that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is still the only AAA jRPG you're gonna getting in this generation while waiting for Versus.

She imported the game to write a review for a site she writes for. I'm sure they either gave her the money to import or reimbursed her for it. XIII was my least favorite Final Fantasy ever. To me, the game had no redeeming qualities at all. That's why I'm hesitant to spend almost $70 on a sequel that shouldn't exist.

I played the demo and enjoyed it. I'm a bit bummed out that the game is so easy though (according to Kagari's review). I would think since this is a dedicated sequal in which the target audience is probably the bigger fans of 13 - they'd make the game harder. Maybe I should try hard mode?

It's a bummer though that I stopped playing FF13 about 30% of the way through...before even think about getting this I'd have to finish that, and unfortunately I wasn't really enjoying it that much.

Zoe

I played the demo and enjoyed it. I'm a bit bummed out that the game is so easy though (according to Kagari's review). I would think since this is a dedicated sequal in which the target audience is probably the bigger fans of 13 - they'd make the game harder. Maybe I should try hard mode?

There is no hard mode. If you thought the first game was hard, this one will probably be hard. If you thought the first game was easy, this one will probably be easy.

frequency

She imported the game to write a review for a site she writes for. I'm sure they either gave her the money to import or reimbursed her for it. XIII was my least favorite Final Fantasy ever. To me, the game had no redeeming qualities at all. That's why I'm hesitant to spend almost $70 on a sequel that shouldn't exist.

Yeah well... maybe you shouldn't exist!
I don't mean that

In regards to cutscenes, I just want as many story things to watch as I had in FFXIII. I don't know the terminology between in-game, real time, or whatever.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I would say if that's the case... then no, probably not worth full price.

For the record, I like the CG FMVs too... was a bit disappointing that XIII-2 only has 5.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I will say that while she made the import happen with site funds she was driven to sink as many hours entirely by whatever crazy will she has; she wanted to see everything. She wasn't asked to be so crazy thorough but she decided to herself, and she was pretty clinical about the whole thing.

I don't want to pull back the curtain too much, but I will say she had a lot of conviction for the score. Hopefully she won't mind me revealing that the first draft she submitted was a little negative, I felt, for an 8. I asked her to rethink the score or the text, and she chose to inject some more commentary on the positive aspects of the game because she believed the 8 was the right score.

I'll have a second review of the English version up the day before release when the embargo ends, so if you want a second opinion there'll be that. I'll play it more like a normal person, though - I won't be 100%ing everything. That's partly because I have little desire after how mad she was getting in places and partly as I'll be jumping straight to Amalur.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I must be in the minority, then. I don't really care about the CG scenes much. So the little number of scenes it has isn't really a problem...

I come to FF to play it, not watch it. But I take that approach to many RPGs I play now. When I was younger, I felt the opposite.

jiggle

it just adds to the game looking like a cheap cash grab

amazes me they did the same with X-2 and got it so right
but failed so miserably with this

Dunan

I must be in the minority, then. I don't really care about the CG scenes much. So the little number of scenes it has isn't really a problem...

The CG could drop to zero and I wouldn't mind in the least. I loved how Vagrant Story and FFXII were almost entirely game-engine-rendered.

(Now give us those games in HD so that said renders look even better than they first did!)

Perfo

it just adds to the game looking like a cheap cash grab

Considering the quality of the ingame-cutscenes, doesn't seem that cheap to me. I think this and the fact they wanted to release the game on one DVD and use the ingame models for weapons/costumes, helped them on deciding how much CGI to use. I tend to prefer, when possible, to have everything in-engine. Then, if they need more "power", pre-recorded ones will make for it. FMVs should be used just for key moments, mostly opening and ending.

Perfo

I bet I'm the only one in here getting the CE game and CE guide. :D

I'm beating you! I'm getting two crystal editions (360, ps3), one limited guide and I just got the limited japanese soundtrack few days ago. Lol.

And it doesn't end here T.T

Speaking of which... where are my Caius and Noel action figures Square >.<?

neoism

Well there will definitely be a 13-3 then lol. But I looooooved 13 and didn't care for the story at all. The gameplay was awesome. Still sad about the 3rd character in battle being a stupid monster. :/ Can you control them at all. I want 3 characters in my battle system.

neoism

I bet I'm the only one in here getting the CE game and CE guide. :D

me.... I'm not sure about the soundtrack though most of the tracks aren't that good. I fucking loved 13s soundtrack too. stupid vocals. :/ Is there an option in the settings in the game to turn off or at least turn the music down. I played 13 for 166 hours and never got tired of the music once. :/

damn I'm sure your a fast gamer way more than me, but that is fast. Did you 100% 13, guess I'm looking at least 100 or so.

Top Bottom