• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

mudkyp

I find myself wishing that XIII-2 leaned a little bit more into being totally nuts. I mean there's Valhalla,
Lightning giving a Moogle to Serah for protection
, and time paradoxes. With a premise like that, it could have easily gone for the cheeky attitude of X-2. And I think it would have been better that way.

Though, I do enjoy that opening movie. Not the greatest in FF history ever, but enjoyable.

dramatis

I'm totally with Perfo about the opening.

for me, ff13-2 has the best *opening sequence* of all 3D FFs.

Because one thing I should point out is that FF13-2 opening is much more than one single piece of FMV shown in that youtube video.
Nice semantics, but even then 13-2 doesn't have the best "opening sequence" of all 3D FFs.

The prerendered opening movie doesn't even compare to the tone-setting FFX's realtime opening does. All the flash and bang you get in the "opening sequence" doesn't do much compared to the slow walk with the commentator talking about Jecht, and it certainly doesn't compare to Zanarkand falling to pieces while you leave through an orifice of a giant floating whale.

If 13-2 couldn't beat 10 in those regards, how the hell could it outclass 12?

Sounds better then Sakamotto who's voice was never believable to me.

She should stick to voicing teenage girls.

Actually outside of pigtails, every main character in XIII was better in English.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm totally with Perfo about the opening.

for me, ff13-2 has the best *opening sequence* of all 3D FFs.

Because one thing I should point out is that FF13-2 opening is much more than one single piece of FMV shown in that youtube video.

Yeah, I should have included in my statement also the rest of the "opening" (first 20 minutes or so). It builds up the momentum perfectly little by little 'till the final BANG at the end of it, while also presenting every new major character in a flash. It's definitely my favorite opening in a Final Fantasy, I like everything of it. I also think the improvements in event direction are quite clear from those twenty minutes already,
for example when Noel kicks in, it's pretty cool

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember a lot of people complaining A LOT at most of the vocal tracks when they were first revealed yet now people love them?
LOL, people were complaining about Crazy Chocobo around here, remember?

I think people were generally okay with the music otherwise. The Bresha Ruins music wasn't accepted during E3 when it was first revealed, but in full context, it works pretty well.

Actually outside of pigtails, every main character in XIII was better in English.
Agreed with you on Hope (Vincent Martello came a long way from Everybody Hates Chris), Fang, Sazh, and Snow (too used to Daisuke Ono's Snow since that's the type of character Ono always voices, and Troy Baker was somewhat refreshing).

I thought English Sazh was extremely genuine in terms of tone and emotion. I was very impressed with his voice direction, and ended up liking him a lot better than Japanese Sazh.

Yes, Szah's in Japanese just sounds like Japanese funny man voice. Like a lot of old man characters. But Szah's isn't an oldman. English Szah's sounds very natural and honestly like a father.

Perfo

Yeah, english Sazh was really a charming character and voice. Hope and him probably being the best english voice actors in that specific game.
Do we know already who's giving the voice to Yeul?

One issue I had with X-2 is that it seemed like the game constantly reused enemy mobs and that made battles really repetitive, does XIII-2 have that issue going by the impressions of the Japanese version?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
One issue I had with X-2 is that it seemed like the game constantly reused enemy mobs and that made battles really repetitive, does XIII-2 have that issue going by the impressions of the Japanese version?

Yes, there were barely any monsters unique to the game. Mostly bosses if I recall correctly...

xion4360

Yes, there were barely any monsters unique to the game. Mostly bosses if I recall correctly...

I think what he is talking about is fighting the same set of enemies over and over, not weather or not enemies are recycled from XIII, I think he understands that for a sequel square isnt going to create all new enemies.

Zoe

I'm not getting the dislike for Maaya's performance as Lightning... are people comparing it to her other roles?

I think what he is talking about is fighting the same set of enemies over and over, not weather or not enemies are recycled from XIII, I think he understands that for a sequel square isnt going to create all new enemies.

Yes, that will be a problem for some areas.

MechaX

Watched the intro in English. I did kind of like it. I wouldn't put it as close to my favorite opening in the series, but I liked it enough.

But the sad thing is, the thing that came to my mind during the intro was "Man... I hope the game centers around this war between Lightning and this new guy in this world. Oh wait..." Pretty much totally unconscious thinking there, and I don't really know what Sarah and Noel go through in the main game, but I can't feel this is like opening in medias res with a large scale conflict that's really interesting, and then cutting to a slice of life anime immediately after.

Since I'm still on the fence about picking this up, I'm curious to see what info comes from the lifting embargo.

Perfo

But the sad thing is, the thing that came to my mind during the intro was "Man... I hope the game centers around this war between Lightning and this new guy in this world. Oh wait..." Pretty much totally unconscious thinking there, and I don't really know what Sarah and Noel go through in the main game, but I can't feel this is like opening in medias res with a large scale conflict that's really interesting, and then cutting to a slice of life anime immediately after.

Yeah, first time I saw it I thought the same thing; it's like they show you something really cool and then shout at you it's all mine and only me can play with it >.<' lol ~

ataboada

Probably asked before but couldn't go through the whole thread:

Is it absolutely necessary to have played the first game before this one?

jimmypython

same here. I think the best way is to do a dual-storyline structure, kinda like what Tales of Xillia did but even more separated.

now we all know that the second storyline may exist, just through DLC...

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
New scores.

Play UK gave it 80/100 (5% lower than the original). The score's on Gamerankings.

Playstation Lifestyle gave this game a 5/10. They praised the gameplay, and absolutely hated the storyline, the characters and Toriyama's overall direction.

Finally, I heard from GameFAQs that Edge gave it a 6/10, one point above FFXIII's score. Not sure if true.

kx11

Banned
my friend got the US version

417006_10151221964750574_557050573_23056649_1009471818_n.jpg

Playstation Lifestyle gave this game a 5/10. They praised the gameplay, and absolutely hated the storyline, the characters and Toriyama's overall direction.

Poor Toriyama. This, combined with the GI review, and probably many more to come, AND the Amazon Japan top reviews absolutely bashing the story and direction to a high degree...that's too bad. It feels like Toriyama has been chosen to be "the one" to direct the series though...but how long can this last? What I actually really, sincerely, honestly don't understand is why not just hire some talented script writers or authors (Lost Odyssey's memories collection) to do this? It might cost some money, but that might take care of the big upset of many fans lately: story, direction, characters.

I was hesitant to write all that because I am very much looking forward to XIII-2 and would love to see Toriyama succeed. Pre-ordered.

Wilsongt

I am listening to the soundtrack right now as I work on a presentation... What is this about them removing voices from the music? Is this a confirmed or just speculation of a few songs? I hope they didn't... :( I'm really liking all of the vocal stuff I am hearing so far, especially "World's Collide."

Toth

I am a huge 13 supporter and super psyched for 13-2. That being said, I really think it would be best for SE to cut Toriyama out of the series right now. These reviews have to show SE where people thought the most pressing problem of 13 really was and even with all the great fixes, that pressing issue was not addressed and critical response is suffering.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I get the feeling that once again, bilingual copies of Final Fantasy XIII-2 will not be shiny. My Canadian version isn't shiny. :(

I like shinies.

SOLDIER

Poor Toriyama. This, combined with the GI review, and probably many more to come, AND the Amazon Japan top reviews absolutely bashing the story and direction to a high degree...that's too bad. It feels like Toriyama has been chosen to be "the one" to direct the series though...but how long can this last? What I actually really, sincerely, honestly don't understand is why not just hire some talented script writers or authors (Lost Odyssey's memories collection) to do this?

Or have Nomura and Nojima write everything FF-related.

You can bring up belts and zippers, Gackt, and every other meme you think is funny, but ask yourself: how many times did you watch Advent Children?

I'll take "shallow" and entertaining over pretentiousness. It's what made Kojima an industry God.

RPGCrazied

I wonder if the CE gets the game case for the game too, or is it just a disc inside the big box? I guess Saturday we will know, when Kagari can spill more info.

Bladenic

I'm extremely excited for this. Should have it by next weekend, which is great, since I'm too busy next week and pretty free the week after so I can dig into this pretty well. Got it pre-ordered at newegg and the CE guide on Amazon!

As for the reviews, I don't think they'll be horrible, but I can't see them being great either. I expect lower than 13 honestly. Probably around 80%, though I wouldn't be surprised about upper 70's either. I definitely agree that Toriyama really needs to be fired. Actually, that's harsh. Demoted. He should not be the person in charge of these projects. Kitase should be director again if nobody else is available, though he too has (arguably) fallen from grace.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Joking aside, I'm actually serious. My Canadian version didn't have the inner cover either. Remember, they reprint some of these covers to make sure they look bilingual, so certain bits are lost for Canadian customers. I've noticed that it happens with games that you get from EB Games. Covers from other retailers are perfectly fine.

Here, I compared it with my Asian version:

I got the regular foil cover version of FFIV from Toys R Us no problem, for example. The bilingual cover is shit. It's not my pic, but it demonstrates the issue well-enough:

Sometimes the covers look cheap too! Here's my Bubble Bobble Double Shot! comparison. You might not notice it, but while the US normal cover is printed on glossy paper, the Canadian cover is printed on regular paper! So cheap.

If we're lucky, it'll be the US slip-case with the paper insert on the back.
I certainly hope so.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I get the feeling that once again, bilingual copies of Final Fantasy XIII-2 will not be shiny. My Canadian version isn't shiny. :(

I like shinies.

I noticed that the version of XIII-2 that you can order from Best Buy.ca, with the pre-order novel, states that French is not available... Good sign. Means its just the American version, and shiny (plus inside cover art?). Although it may or may not be plastered with a "novel inside" marking.

I also imagine the collectors edition will look the same in America/Canada.

I have both pre-ordered...
<----------- Whore

Kikujiro

Poor Toriyama. This, combined with the GI review, and probably many more to come, AND the Amazon Japan top reviews absolutely bashing the story and direction to a high degree...that's too bad. It feels like Toriyama has been chosen to be "the one" to direct the series though...but how long can this last? What I actually really, sincerely, honestly don't understand is why not just hire some talented script writers or authors (Lost Odyssey's memories collection) to do this? It might cost some money, but that might take care of the big upset of many fans lately: story, direction, characters.

I was hesitant to write all that because I am very much looking forward to XIII-2 and would love to see Toriyama succeed. Pre-ordered.

There's no need to feel sad for him. I mean his writing sucks, if you can't write don't try to write melodramas (look at Metroid OM), oh well it's kinda like an oxymoron since bad writers usually end up writing melodramas because they don't know how to be subtle. More negative feedbacks means S-E can't ignore them and will do something about Toriyama, like don't let him direct or write FFXV.

But I really don't know, casual audience love corny soap operas and melodramas.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I noticed that the version of XIII-2 that you can order from Best Buy.ca, with the pre-order novel, states that French is not available... Good sign. Means its just the American version, and shiny (plus inside cover art?). Although it may or may not be plastered with a "novel inside" marking.

<----------- Whore

Wasn't that because the novel isn't bilingual or something?

RPGCrazied

I know you can't say more Kagari. So that only leaves stacked discs, or somehow the discs are on the case itself, like dvd / blu-ray cases.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

<----------- Whore
I think it's because the novel might not be bilingual. But if you're getting it from Best Buy, Future Shop, Wal-Mart, etc., I think you'll be fine. I hope that the CE version is the same as the American version. I don't think they'd go through the trouble to make separate versions for Americans and Canadians, right? That'd be a little stupid...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wasn't that because the novel isn't bilingual or something?

The novel is definitely packed in with the game as a BB exclusive package. I'd imagine they wouldn't go out of their way to produce a Canadian version of that package, and that's why it had the "no French" disclaimer. But we'll see.

CorvoSol

I want to feel sorry for Toriyama, because I think FFXIII's lore is good, and found it a nice spin on the typical FF Crystals make Light Warriors to Save the World, but on the other hand I feel like I could have done a better job telling that story, and it makes it hard to sympathize, especially with the ending and all.

Top Bottom