• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
It seems IGN today together with the review will have a live-stream of the first hours going on their website:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is looking to be a big improvement over XIII. IGN will be unveiling its exclusive review on Friday, January 27. Leading up to the review, tune in for a live stream of the first couple hours of the Japanese RPG.

final-fantasy-xiii-inline_1327089862.jpg

What: IGN's Final Fantasy XIII-2 Live Stream
When: Friday, January 27, 11:00AM-1:00PM Pacific
Where: Right here. Bookmark this page.
Who: IGN's Ryan Clements, Daemon Hatfield, and Colin Moriarty will be walking you through the early hours of the game.
Why: Get your questions answered and be the first to see IGN's exclusive review. Oh, and we'll also be giving away posters, a Lightning figuring, and a copy of the Collector's Edition. Just tweet your questions @IGN with #FFXIII2.

Toth

I want to feel sorry for Toriyama, because I think FFXIII's lore is good, and found it a nice spin on the typical FF Crystals make Light Warriors to Save the World, but on the other hand I feel like I could have done a better job telling that story, and it makes it hard to sympathize, especially with the ending and all.

The game will succeed WW despite him, that's for sure. A shame how much better the critical reception would have been though.

exhume

I get the feeling that once again, bilingual copies of Final Fantasy XIII-2 will not be shiny. My Canadian version isn't shiny. :(

I like shinies.

Wow, I didn't even know that other regions got foiled/iridescent details on their covers. They sure don't here in PAL land!

Varshes

I think it's because the novel might not be bilingual. But if you're getting it from Best Buy, Future Shop, Wal-Mart, etc., I think you'll be fine. I hope that the CE version is the same as the American version. I don't think they'd go through the trouble to make separate versions for Americans and Canadians, right? That'd be a little stupid...

CE version is the US version. Canadian regular version is shiny though this time around. :)

hertog

Fuck... downloaded the demo and pre-ordered the crystal Edition.

I really shouldn't play the demo, but I don't think I can resist :(

May16

New scores.

Play UK gave it 80/100 (5% lower than the original). The score's on Gamerankings.

Playstation Lifestyle gave this game a 5/10. They praised the gameplay, and absolutely hated the storyline, the characters and Toriyama's overall direction.

Finally, I heard from GameFAQs that Edge gave it a 6/10, one point above FFXIII's score. Not sure if true.
Do we have the comments from any of those that aren't online?
Playstation lifestyle one is here:
Those who despised Final Fantasy XIII have no reason to even attempt the sequel; those that did should take it as highly recommended. If you play RPGs with your focus on plot, characters, and storytelling, you’re probably best to drop this game off your radar, unless you’re cool with it taking 20 hours to get good. If you play it for interesting progress systems and combat, it becomes interesting close to the five-hour mark and for the most part, holds its own.
Millions of people will fall very passionately on both sides of this one. For me, Final Fantasy XIII-2 lands right smack in the middle.

UberTag

Poor Toriyama. This, combined with the GI review, and probably many more to come, AND the Amazon Japan top reviews absolutely bashing the story and direction to a high degree...that's too bad. It feels like Toriyama has been chosen to be "the one" to direct the series though...but how long can this last? What I actually really, sincerely, honestly don't understand is why not just hire some talented script writers or authors (Lost Odyssey's memories collection) to do this? It might cost some money, but that might take care of the big upset of many fans lately: story, direction, characters.

I was hesitant to write all that because I am very much looking forward to XIII-2 and would love to see Toriyama succeed. Pre-ordered.
Here's a direct link to the PlayStation Style import review referenced earlier.

It essentially mirrors my opinion on the game. I found the cheesy vocal J-Pop tracks more catchy and enjoyable than they do but can certainly see merit in their opinion of it having an identity crisis. And, obviously, if those vocals get shitcanned in the localization I won't be thrilled.

Unlike FateBreaker, I'm not rewarding Toriyama and company with a sale next week due to Square's insistence to insult my intelligence with vapid dialogue choices, their blatantly disingenuous Lightning-centric marketing, the gimped battle system which lacks the strategic depth of FFXIII's Pulse missions, the step down in graphic fidelity on PS3 and the "please fork over more $$ for DLC" controversial ending.

Incidentally, this reviewer did give Type-0 an impressive 8 out of 10 score so there is still reason to feel optimistic about the Final Fantasy franchise. I'd dearly love to see this game hit VITA on the localization front later this fall.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
I'm also not planning to get the game at full price. Toriyama doesn't convinces me anymore, and I don't want to spend full money first week for something that's far away from being a masterpiece. If I knew I would expect normal-quality FF stuff (aka, despite the flaws something AWESOME) and not a 5-8/10 game that's supposed to be "better in everything than a main FF game" (lol), things would be different. I don't have much money to spend neither with the world's economy as it is, so I'll wait until the prices drop, and still will only buy it because it seems to be a fun game, and because I'm a Final Fantasy fan. Or else I wouldn't bother, really.

For FFXIII, I still had that thought, "ok, a lot of FF games are flawed, but they compensate it with a lot of hidden depth, worthwhile moments and lots and lots of excellent world immersion". Afterall, that's what I felt from games like FFVIII, FFX and FFXII. In the end, I absolutely loved immersing into their fictional worlds, replaying and abusing the gameplay mechanics, etc. I bought FFXIII under the assumption I would get a similar experience, but what I got was a 20 hours tutorial game without depth, with little to no immersion, with little to no pace diversity, with bad and dry character growth systems, all for the sake of a story that ranged from amateur/ mediocre drivel to downright insulting. So yeah, with this game I got the confirmation that Toriyama shouldn't even be there; he has no storytelling skills, and he has no game design skills.

FFXIII-2's demo was interesting, but the "town" there was dry, and I heard most of the other towns in the game are not much different. I have been getting the feeling that Toriyama simply threw a lot of features that fans asked for (or didn't), without bothering to understand how to implement them to take full potential of them, and several reviewers confirmed this out. I already expected it solely based on how shallow Toriyama's decisions were for the original, and +quantity =/= +quality. The best things about the battle system were taken out (the usefulness of most roles and the importance of chain breaking), as the battles in the demo were pretty mindless and monotonous. The random encounters annoyed me out, and I felt it was overall an unnecessary feature. The character growth system, however, was addicting, finally! And the sidequests were as well, and the maps decent. I know I'm going to have fun overall, if not only because of this, but I won't pay 60€ for this product, especially when/ if I can get it for 19€ in a few months, and only because it's a FF game, and I'm a FF fan.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
What do you mean with this?
I'm not sure if I would ever call it a "town". It's a neutral place where you talk to several scientists, and get to listen to uninteresting, random babblings about paradoxes. The dry datalog system still functions as a better "town" than the town itself when it comes to learn more about the world, even taking account how immersion-breaking quick recaps can be, and how immersive towns can be........ It also lacks meaningful interaction, with one or two treasure chests, and the only shopkeeper being there out of context. It has no charm, no personality and no diversity.

I don't know how this compares to the other towns of the game, though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm not sure if I would ever call it a "town". It's a neutral place where you talk to several scientists, and get to listen to uninteresting, random babblings about paradoxes. The dry datalog system still functions as a better "town" than the town itself when it comes to learn more about the world, even taking account how immersion-breaking quick recaps can be, and how immersive towns can be........ It also lacks meaningful interaction, with one or two treasure chests, and the only shopkeeper being there out of context. It has no charm, no personality and no diversity.

I don't know how this compares to the other towns of the game, though.

They're all like that for the most part.

Perfo

Basically jRPG towns? Anyway, I would not call the one in the demo a town, more a base camp for operations. I don't even know if there are actual towns, but I've seen at least one city. It's overall an improvement after the endless corridors of XIII filled with dungeon cities. Anyway, I should not expect any town like the ones seen in – let's say Tales of, that are big enough and filled with houses to explore. I guess something more akin to Blue Dragon?

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Basically jRPG towns?
The previous FFs, the DQ series, and several other JRPG games I've played (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden II, Valkyrie profile I & II, even Star Ocean 3 and Kingdom Hearts I & II) had good to excellent towns, so: no.

Perfo

The previous FFs, the DQ series, and several other JRPG games I've played (Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Suikoden II, Valkyrie profile I & II, even Star Ocean 3 and Kingdom Hearts I & II) had good to excellent towns, so: no.

I edited one minute before adding more stuff because I expected this.

Anyway I would not say that Kingdom Hearts has classic towns (like the others you mentioned) to explore. Actually I think XIII-2 is pretty similar to KH in the way it presents them to the player. Maybe we can even go as far as comparing the entire structures of the two games. Time travelling to small universes like done in XIII-2 is not that different from jumping on your gummiship and visit the next Disney world. After travelling what you'll find in both games is a small world to explore, with few NPCs to talk with and a critical situation to solve before leaving for the next small universe.

RPGCrazied

So, IGN's review is today? I really don't think these are towns in the game. Towns to me is like Tales of games. A few screens to explore, buildings to enter, stuff like that.

Perfo

True but they vastly overrated XIII and they know it. They also proclaimed Revelations to be the pre-eminent Assassins Creed title despite scoring it lower than 2. It's all relative.

Levyne

Banned
True but they vastly overrated XIII and they know it. They also proclaimed Revelations to be the pre-eminent Assassins Creed title despite scoring it lower than 2. It's all relative.

I first I thought you meant a score lower than 2/10 and I was like wow.

Looking forward to this but probably won't get to play it until spring.

Toth

Yeah... reviewers who scored FF13 so high because it was a FF game are stuck. See GameInformer.

Reviewers need to have integrity and stick to their scores though and not backtrack like GI did. If they enjoyed the game enough to give it a 9 plus, then they should not give into 'peer pressure' and reverse their stance.

Perfo

Reviewers need to have integrity and stick to their scores though and not backtrack like GI did. If they enjoyed the game enough to give it a 9 plus, then they should not give into 'peer pressure' and reverse their stance.

Yeah, it's just ridiculous. But it could have sense if reviewers are different from before.

Ricker

The demo and all was enough for me to anticipate this game,not going to watch any streams or whatever 4 days before release now...pre-ordered a long time ago through EBGames Canada so I'm getting Serah's Summoner's Garb and the Genji Bow as well...might grab the Guide but it's 30 bucks,not sure it's worth it...

Reveirg

Unfortunately, that won't be the case for 90% of reviewers, which is why it wouldn't surprise me to see the game get a 70-80% average on metacritic, despite the fact that the game seems better than XIII...

jimmypython

I edited one minute before adding more stuff because I expected this.

Anyway I would not say that Kingdom Hearts has classic towns (like the others you mentioned) to explore. Actually I think XIII-2 is pretty similar to KH in the way it presents them to the player. Maybe we can even go far as to compare the entire structures of the two games. Time travelling to small universes like done in XIII-2 is not that different from jumping on your gummiship and visit the next Disney world. After travelling what you'll find in both games is a small world to explore, with few NPCs to talk with and a critical situation to solve before leaving for the next small universe.

I had the exact feeling about FF13-2 and Kingdom hearts, specifically KH1.

oh by the way, it seems KH3D will get a similar monster growth system as 13-2....

RPGCrazied

I'd rather want the review. Live streams usually spoil the game. Even if its just the start of the game, I'll save that for when I play it.

Perfo

I didn't follow the stream on IGN because I was away, news on lyrics missing or not?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I didn't follow the stream on IGN because I was away, news on lyrics missing or not?

They haven't reached an area with a vocal track yet.

I did tweet IGN about it, but who knows if they'll pick my question.

BocoDragon

Says IGN reviewer of English version, about the soundtrack:

"There's a lot of vocal work."

A good sign!

Perfo

Says IGN reviewer of English version, about the soundtrack:

"There's a lot of vocal work."

A good sign!

If they left the soundtrack intact, except maybe rap and crazy chocobo, I'm curious to know what shocked so much Kagari...

BocoDragon

I hear New Bodum vocals in the stream now!

If they left the soundtrack intact, except maybe rap and crazy chocobo, I'm curious to know what shocked so much Kagari...

I don't know why Crazy Chocobo would be cut... It's American style metal. ;)

BocoDragon

Vocals in Historia Crux intact.

Same with "Starting Over".

Looks like vocalgate is averted? Maybe they just cut the one slightly awkward rap-poetry track.

I didn't even realize this game had pre-order bonuses until I checked Amazon just a second ago to place my pre-order. I guess I got the Omega colisseum boss battle? I noticed gamestop also had some costume (whoop dee doo), are there any others? Which retailer has the best pre-order bonus?

Chris R

I had the CE preordered on Amazon, but decided I'll wait for the game to go on sale. Any chance of the preorder stuff showing up as DLC down the road if I get really into whatever it offers?

Top Bottom