• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

icarus-daedelus said:
I like steampunk, who doesn't, but monochrome brown is my least favorite color scheme other than possibly monochrome grey (hey there, Fallout 3!) And I don't see how a steampunk setting means the color scheme should be limited to brown anyway, so there.
RoF is remarkably free of brown, it's more like beige.

Dresden said:
RoF is remarkably free of brown, it's more like beige.
Even worse. I live in the beige capital of the universe (Tucson, AZ) so I have an even lower tolerance for beige than brown. Although I kind of think beige is a shade of brown anyway.

Even so, I'm sure that RoF is a fun game (OK, well, if everyone isn't lying and it's not just typical tri-Ace shit) and I'm really just being a drama queen about the lack of visual appeal.

icarus-daedelus said:
Nah, I just have an irrational bias against tri-Ace and the color brown.

It's a Tri-Ace game with writing that doesn't make you want to punch yourself and characters who don't all look like dolls(still some weird animation during cutscenes but eh).

Fimbulvetr said:
It's a Tri-Ace game with writing that doesn't make you want to punch yourself and characters who don't all look like dolls(still some weird animation during cutscenes but eh).
Honestly, at this point, videogames seem to be in some deep dark canyon of the uncanny valley where even top-notch models look a bit like unnaturally animated mannequins to me. I know what you mean, though, and to its credit RoF does look like it has better aesthetics than those other tri-Ace games of this gen that shall go unnamed here. They've got just about the worst possible translation of animu stylings into 3D that I can think of.

Anyway, I believe you guys, and plan on playing RoF eventually... but I think I should stop derailing the thread with this tangent now. :D

Die Squirrel Die said:
How dynamic is the target time calculation? I'm trying to 5 star some of the low level marks before heading off to chapter 12, but with the increase in time requirements I'm actually getting lower scores on some of them? There don't seem to be many FAQs about, or at least the ones there are seem to focus on the higher level hunts, but I've read some general advice that equipping lower level weapons can help raise the target time, but won't that affect my party's damage output as well?
This. I'd like to know the target time calculation mechanics too.

Fimbulvetr said:

I...I don't know if I can trust them again. Almost 50 hours of "KAY" broke my spirit and my ability to love. If they've really changed, maybe I can give them another chance, but I need some time.

grumble

icarus-daedelus said:
Even worse. I live in the beige capital of the universe (Tucson, AZ) so I have an even lower tolerance for beige than brown. Although I kind of think beige is a shade of brown anyway.

Even so, I'm sure that RoF is a fun game (OK, well, if everyone isn't lying and it's not just typical tri-Ace shit) and I'm really just being a drama queen about the lack of visual appeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOdHFRV9ifo

It's got a super next-gen colour palette. It's practically monochromatic. Grey and brown ahoy! It's got good looks in its way though, I guess.

One thing I like about FFXIII is the colour in the game. there's plenty of it, and it looks great.

Dresden

cosmicblizzard said:
I...I don't know if I can trust them again. Almost 50 hours of "KAY" broke my spirit and my ability to love. If they've really changed, maybe I can give them another chance, but I need some time.
I, too, survived Star Ocean 4 and I will tell you this: Resonance is good. Very good. 'Kay?
And there's no half-naked nekololi, so it's win-win.

Going from FFXIII to RoF does make the latter game look drab, though.

It's also fucking gorgeous overall. I don't think I've played a game on consoles as pretty as it. Maybe Just Cause 2, but that game has such a gorgeous overworld that, I mean, of course it's prettier.

Dresden said:
I, too, survived Star Ocean 4 and I will tell you this: Resonance is good. Very good. 'Kay?
And there's no half-naked nekololi, so it's win-win.

Going from FFXIII to RoF does make the latter game look drab, though.

Yeah I'm interested. I'll definitely check it out but I'm legitimately booked until at least the end of summer. Gotta wait for a down period before I can start thinking about games like that.

Strange Journey, on the other hand is something I am very interested in. I'm just worried that I won't be able to enjoy it to the fullest because of my unexplainable dislike of anything with a first person battle system.

darkwings

Banned
ZephyrFate said:
It's also fucking gorgeous overall. I don't think I've played a game on consoles as pretty as it. Maybe Just Cause 2, but that game has such a gorgeous overworld that, I mean, of course it's prettier.

but very static. There is basically nothing to interact with.

btw I am on disc3 now and disc1 and 2 were very short. How long is disc3?

darkwings said:
but very static. There is basically nothing to interact with.

btw I am on disc3 now and disc1 and 2 were very short. How long is disc3?
I don't really want/need world interaction with my jRPGs. The Gapra Whitewood made me blow my load.

leng jai

The boss at the end of chapter 11 is absolutely atrocious. 30 minute boss fights should be banned, especially if the first 25 minutes are a formality and the last few minutes based on pure luck.

Also, does anyone else button mash X during battle animations even though its obviously unnecessary.

ZephyrFate said:
I don't really want/need world interaction with my jRPGs. The Gapra Whitewood made me blow my load.

To bad you cant go back too it thanks 360, is it really that hard to put a disc in?
It be nice to go back and see hopes dad and go on missions in other areas. I best not find out SE cut anything so players didt have to go back -_- it not shock me at this point

BeeDog

Alright, chapter 11 is pissing me off because of my crapness. Pretty much any enemy type rapes me in the face, so I said fuck it and started wandering towards the quest marker. In that small area, those Hoplites aren't giving me too much trouble, but the Boxed Phalanx that spawn an insane amount of Hoplites completely obliterate me. :( Any suggestions on what I should do?

cnizzle06

Banned
A few things. I'm in Pulse, just completed mission 12 (Geiseric, the Profane), and just maxed out Lightning's Blazefire Saber, and Fang's Bladed Lance. What's the next logical step for me to do weapon-wise? Also, mission 12 seemed to give out an acceptable amount of CP. Would it be worth farming this mission?

leng jai

BeeDog said:
Alright, chapter 11 is pissing me off because of my crapness. Pretty much any enemy type rapes me in the face, so I said fuck it and started wandering towards the quest marker. In that small area, those Hoplites aren't giving me too much trouble, but the Boxed Phalanx that spawn an insane amount of Hoplites completely obliterate me. :( Any suggestions on what I should do?

Against the Boxed Phalanx and hoplites its possible to get a pre-emptive strike which makes things easier. Your first priority is to the stagger and launch the Boxed Phalanx asap using Relentless Assault. Use Combat Clinic to heal quickly and repeat. Theres no point in killing the Hoplites as he'll just summon twice as many.

cosmicblizzard said:
I think if you spent 50 hours on Star Ocean 4 you only have yourself to blame.

ZephyrFate said:
Uncharted! But that game's got jungles, and man oh man do I love me some jungles in videogames. It's probably why I like Metal Gear Solid 3 so much.

FF13 is really pretty, artistically moreso than technically - it's really just the same aesthetics we've gotten from the last half dozen or so FFs, but this time done in gorgeous HD.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
leng jai said:
The boss at the end of chapter 11 is absolutely atrocious. 30 minute boss fights should be banned, especially if the first 25 minutes are a formality and the last few minutes based on pure luck.

I'm on that boss right now.. but I'm having a great time even though I lose.. all I can think about is how to tackle him faster next time.

At this point, the battle system is sublime IMO.. I'm loving figuring out how to play as efficiently as possible, juggling all these variables.. buffs, enemy's stagger meter, curing, switching paradigms... So much fun :)
leng jai said:
Also, does anyone else button mash X during battle animations even though its obviously unnecessary.
Yes... I practically have carpal tunnel from mashing X. Summons are the worst. GO ODIN GO X X X X X X X

confuziz

Banned
Can anyone give me tips for the 2nd time you face
proudclad (at eden)??

He has 2 forms, one in which he deals a load of dmg, the other..not so much.

ZephyrFate said:

I went back to
Oerba
just to look at the beautiful sunset. It looks so amazing.

leng jai said:

Yes, I have a strange habit of mashing x for no reason.

grumble

leng jai said:

It's not a thirty minute boss fight at all. Here's how to do it (using light/hope/fang):

1. Use COM/SYN/SAB to start. After Libra, sit in this until you've got a bunch of buffs/debuffs going.
2. Use RAV/RAV/COM. Get right up to stagger, then switch to
3. MED/MED/SEN. Once healed, switch to
4. RAV/RAV/COM. Stagger, get the meter up to a decent level, then
5. COM/RAV/COM. Pound away until the stagger's done, then
6. MED/MED/SEN.
At this point, either the boss uses thanosian laughter and you'll need to reapply buffs/debuffs, or you can get back to RAV/RAV/COM until he does. Don't ever let your HP get low or the super beam spray will game over you. When staggered, use COM/RAV/COM, but don't prioritize damage over healing.

I beat the boss in a few minutes. I actually found that boss very easy using that strategy. Try it out.

cnizzle06

Banned
cnizzle06 said:
A few things. I'm in Pulse, just completed mission 12 (Geiseric, the Profane), and just maxed out Lightning's Blazefire Saber, and Fang's Bladed Lance. What's the next logical step for me to do weapon-wise? Also, mission 12 seemed to give out an acceptable amount of CP. Would it be worth farming this mission?

On top of these things, I'm in the chocobo area, and I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do here. One of them are marked on the map, but nothing happens when I approach it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
re: grumble's strategy

I did almost exactly that.. But I never had two commandos.. Maybe that's the variable needed to beat it, to make the most outta that stagger time. I had actually switchd out fang for vanille and the ability to tri medic which had gotten me pretty far.

MrDenny

Anyone have any suggestions for snow,sahz, and hope?

Lightning-Lionheart
Vanille-Belladonna Wand
Fang-Taming Pole
Snow-?
Sahz-?
Hope-?

Le-mo

At the beginning of chapter 9 and I already one star one of Fang's and Hope's weapon. Used a transformation catalyst on Lightning's weapon to get Helter Skelter lvl 25. Vanille's weapon is currently at lvl 22, Snow is at lvl 13 and Sazh is at lvl 6. How am I doing gaf?

BeeDog

leng jai said:
Against the Boxed Phalanx and hoplites its possible to get a pre-emptive strike which makes things easier. Your first priority is to the stagger and launch the Boxed Phalanx asap using Relentless Assault. Use Combat Clinic to heal quickly and repeat. Theres no point in killing the Hoplites as he'll just summon twice as many.

Thanks, will try that, but I guess I'll try to level a bit out in the fields first.

Anyway, according to some, chapter 11 is the place where I first need to start upgrading weapons. I don't wanna accidentally waste any rare components on weak-ass weapon upgrades; is there some sort of tutorial/guide on how I should proceed? Thanks.

EDIT: nevermind, seems the link two posts above might be good. :D

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Le-mo said:
At the beginning of chapter 9 and I already one star one of Fang's and Hope's weapon. Used a transformation catalyst on Lightning's weapon to get Helter Skelter lvl 25. Vanille's weapon is currently at lvl 22, Snow is at lvl 13 and Sazh is at lvl 6. How am I doing gaf?

You are doing good, i didnt upgrade any weapon until post-game :)

BigJonsson said:
Someone give me a strategy for beating Ambling Bellows........I've been having major problems every time I have to face one........

Concentrate on Ambling Bellows, i do as SAB/SAB/SAB - RAV/RAV/RAV -> fun.

D23 said:
just got to chapter 12.. damn the opening CG is sooooo nice!

I got a save pre chapter 12 just to show my friends the awesome cut-scene

I turned off the mini-map like many of you suggested while I was on Chapter 6. It definitely helped make the game feel a little less linear. Now I'm on Chapter 7.

Still though, they really could have used some towns, puzzles, or something to breakup the monotony. My sister had been super excited to play FXIII for several months and she finally bought it last Wednesday. After playing the first 1-2 chapters, she was very happy with the game. But then I checked on her today and she stalled on Chapter 3 & 4. She basically said the game became too repetitive and she got bored of just fighting battles and watching cut-scenes endlessly. She's now mostly playing other games.

She's a casual console gamer, so I imagine Square's intention of dumbing down FF was to appeal to gamers like her. But it seems like they missed the mark with both core and casual gamers. If you don't get hooked by the story, then you basically have to force yourself to play through the game.

desverger

I like all RPGs (Dragon Age, Resonance of Fate, FF12 AND FF13). Sometimes it feels like I'm in the minority here, like I would be disallowed to like Dragon Age or FF12 if I liked FF13 :p

They're all good games, if you ask me. No need for the pitchforks!

Aside from that, I just got the Limit Breaker achievement yesterday, with Fang's Highwind. I love that skill so much :lol And I just was just using a level 10-something Venus Gospel, so nothing extraordinary there either.

But I thought that wouldn't be possible without the Genji Glove? What does the Genji Glove DO, exactly? :p

confuziz

Banned
desverger said:
I like all RPGs (Dragon Age, Resonance of Fate, FF12 AND FF13). Sometimes it feels like I'm in the minority here, like I would be disallowed to like Dragon Age or FF12 if I liked FF13 :p

They're all good games, if you ask me. No need for the pitchforks!

Aside from that, I just got the Limit Breaker achievement yesterday, with Fang's Highwind. I love that skill so much :lol And I just was just using a level 10-something Venus Gospel, so nothing extraordinary there either.

But I thought that wouldn't be possible without the Genji Glove? What does the Genji Glove DO, exactly? :p

I got the limit breaker without that skill or that item

desverger said:

Eidolon's finishing move aren't damage limited so you can get it that way. It's funny because it's impossible to see how much damage you do with Brynhildr, when I got it was was like wat?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
desverger said:

It remove the dmg cap so fang with Highwind can do around 1.5 millon damage on 999% Stagger

BocoDragon said:
re: grumble's strategy

I did almost exactly that.. But I never had two commandos.. Maybe that's the variable needed to beat it, to make the most outta that stagger time. I had actually switchd out fang for vanille and the ability to tri medic which had gotten me pretty far.

I didn't have 2 COMs either but I still 5 starred it using Light/Fang/Hope. Even though I had a MED/SEN/MED paradigm set, I never used it for healing, instead I used MED/SAB/SYN. There were a couple of close calls, but I was buffed to hell for most of the battle and Fang almost always had Brave, especially during the staggers.

Maybe I was just lucky but I found that this form of
Barthandelus
didn't have any attacks that could nuke a non-SEN party.

I only used 3 paradigms.

RAV/COM/RAV
RAV/COM/MED
MED/SAB/SYN

Started by switching to the MED/SAB/SYN and just spammed Cura while Hope buffed and Fang debuffed. Then RAV/COM/RAV, swithing to RAV/COM/MED just before he staggered to heal up, ready to go back to RAV/COM/RAV when he actually staggered, then back to MED/SAB/SYN when the stagger ended to rebuff/debuff.

Spirit3

The opening for Chapter 12 was good, but not great. And boy was the boss for Chapter 11 easy. maybe I got lucky but never once did either of my characters drop below 1000 health. Easily managed to keep them fit and healthy to ravage the boss apart.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
When a weapon is fully maxed out is that when I will be allowed to use a catalyst to change it? Ex: Axis Blade --------->Adamantite----------->Enkindler

And can I use the catalyst at the save stations?

Vilix said:
When a weapon is fully maxed out is that when I will be allowed to use a catalyst to change it? Ex: Axis Blade --------->Adamantite----------->Enkindler

And can I use the catalyst at the save stations?

Yes and yes. Using a catalyst is the same menu as upgrading.

Choopy

Neo Member
Die Squirrel Die said:
Yes and yes. Using a catalyst is the same menu as upgrading.

I haven't maxed any weapons yet, but how do you know what catalyst to use? I recall there being many of them.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Choopy said:
I haven't maxed any weapons yet, but how do you know what catalyst to use? I recall there being many of them.

Gamefaqs, as well as other free online guides give you the load down.

Or, you can get it right here from you friendly neighborhood Gaffers. ^.^

Giolon

Le-mo said:
You finished the game without upgrading any weapons? You at least upgraded the accessories right?

I upgraded nothing. The game was not terribly difficult with the right paradigms and strategies. You don't really need to upgrade anything until you get up to at least the Faultwarrens (Mission 35+) (that's how far I got before I went on vacation).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom