• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

The english sounds significantly better.

I disagree. The translation is by no means bad... but it feels like it didn't have an English writer go over it for theme consistency. Instead it looks like a translation team had different members work on different parts of the script with only a few parts held up to any consistency... It's why some lines seem to be very literal translations, while others seem to be heavily stylized in changes.

Finally, it feels like the voice director either was in capable of making small tweaks to the dialogue to make it flow better or (more likely) had his/her hands tied and wasn't ALLOWED to. The voice actors were all technically good, but their readings were muddled by a poor flowing script.

I disagree. The translation is by no means bad... but it feels like it didn't have an English writer go over it for theme consistency. Instead it looks like a translation team had different members work on different parts of the script with only a few parts held up to any consistency... It's why some lines seem to be very literal translations, while others seem to be heavily stylized in changes.

Finally, it feels like the voice director either was in capable of making small tweaks to the dialogue to make it flow better or (more likely) had his/her hands tied and wasn't ALLOWED to. The voice actors were all technically good, but their readings were muddled by a poor flowing script.

Developmental hell is the reason for this. The localization director said that they'd finish a scene only to get another version of the script a few weeks later, meaning they'd have to redo the entire scene over and over again.

Snow didn't force anyone to fight. The people there begged Snow to let them fight. Hope had no right to blame Snow for his mom's death. Hope should have blamed himself for his mom's death, since when Snow is offering the last gun, Hope as the coward he is pulls back.
At most you could say that Hope tries to pile on Snow his own self-guilt and misplaced hatred for who is the real cause of her death (the military).

So you're saying Hope, a kid with zero weaponrary experience, should have took the gun and die alongside his mother, thanks to the failure of plan that Snow had in mind.

Snow, as the leader, was responsible for those people lives, it wasn't supossed to be a suicide mission in which everyone were going to die. It was his responsability to get all the people alive there, or at least mostof them. His fabulous plan to charge with people who aren't used to fighting failed and the result was that eveyone died.

He didn't kill them, but his course of action was the direct result all of them dying. For a guy that spends a lot of time talking big about being a hero and saving people is laughable.

This game looks amazing not because of its tech, but because of its art. No recent games come close to it imo, including XIII-2 and LR. (
It's especially beautiful in some sections of Gran Pulse..., like the abandoned village or that canyon with the tower. So So Beautiful
)

So in conclusion, yes the engine used is no where near the level of what we see these days but the art direction, of the environments especially, is beyond what's typical even to this day.

I'm enjoying the game so far

I thought the moms are though line is bad not because of the line itself, but because of the way they delivered it, kinda random.

The combat is pretty fun so far, can't wait for it to open up completely.

Is Type-0 a Wii game?

PSP, the screenshot is from the HD version on the PS4.

Shosai

Banned

The translators described having to translate the entire game four or five times, due to constant changes in the script. It seemed like there wasn't much communication within SE's Japan studio, because the writers, producers, designers, and studio workers would all be giving them conflicting scripts on any given day. Which was weird, because Square wanted translations done as the game was made, which made it impossible to get a locked-down final version of a script to translate.

On the other hand, Square tapped their translators to come up with english-sounding terms to use on the Japanese version. Like "Nautilift".

So FFXIII was a special production

RK9039

iVl0qFIwagD0C.png

iW0mZ7eqzBn1n.png

ibprIOV1qrgNMw.jpg

Gbraga

I hate this character so much.

IRy6zeJ.png

Is the battle system relatively the same in XIII-2?

Yes, but it's really, REALLY fucking easy. To the point where all the stuff that made XIII so fun is pretty much pointless here. XIII-2 is the mash X to win game that people who hate XIII accuse it of being.

Zafir

Yes, but it's really, REALLY fucking easy. To the point where all the stuff that made XIII so fun is pretty much pointless here. XIII-2 is the mash X to win game that people who hate XIII accuse it of being.

Well, the final area can be challenging if you do none of the side stuff. I just wanted to run through the game quickly because I wasn't enjoying it so I rushed through and didn't do any side stuff. The final boss was anything but easy, it took out most of my characters health in just one attack.

Consequently, I feel like they balanced it around a person who didn't rush, but probably didn't do any of the side stuff either. Which means, if you do any of the side stuff you'll find it an absolute cake walk.

cafemomo

I hate this character so much.

http://i.imgur

Yes, but it's really, REALLY fucking easy. To the point where all the stuff that made XIII so fun is pretty much pointless here. XIII-2 is the mash X to win game that people who hate XIII accuse it of being.[/QUOTE]

If there is one character I'd love to remove, it would be Hope.

XIII-2 is the easiest out of the trilogy and out of the mainline FF games.

easy mode is press x to win and normal mode is easy mode. Hopefully they add a hard mode with it's steam release, but knowing them it won't be unlocked from the getgo

Gbraga

Well, the final area can be challenging if you do none of the side stuff. I just wanted to run through the game quickly because I wasn't enjoying it so I rushed through and didn't do any side stuff. The final boss was anything but easy, it took out most of my characters health in just one attack.

Consequently, I feel like they balanced it around a person who didn't rush, but probably didn't do any of the side stuff either. Which means, if you do any of the side stuff you'll find it an absolute cake walk.

Oh, right, forgot to mention, the last boss was challenging, I agree.

If there is one character I'd love to remove, it would be Hope.

XIII-2 is the easiest out of the trilogy and out of the mainline FF games.

easy mode is press x to win and normal mode is easy mode. Hopefully they add a hard mode with it's steam release, but knowing them it won't be unlocked from the getgo

I'm not even expecting resolution options and you're waiting for hard mode? Might be better to prepare yourself to be disappointed then :p

Grief.exe

Don't twist my words. I was disagreeing with the notion that the game is better looking than games that came out and will come out this year. That's an absurd comment to make. It's good looking for a game from it's time but let's not get ridiculous with the claims.

Hell Type-0 HD looks better than it.

I'm far more impressed with the level of detail and polish Square was able to put into FFXIII on the PS3 than any current-gen footage I have seen thus far.

Hype decreasing.

Gbraga

XIII-2 is definitely easier than XIII, but that doesn't mean it isn't a fun game. And some of the optional battles are plenty challenging. Especially the DLC fights.

If the DLC is included for no additional cost, then I'll definitely replay XIII-2 when it comes out on Steam.

Otherwise, I'll just skip it and wait for Lightning Returns :p

The ending is pretty cool though, I guess. And Caius is great, O'Brien was especially sexy with him.

EDIT: I like Noel too, I was expecting for Hope 2.0, but he surprised me. No BS allowed.

Skilletor

I gave up on trying to get this to run steadily and just decided to finish my old save on ps3.

I'm on the last battle with Barthandantalalalalalala. Can't seem to finish him off. Keeps casting doom on me, so I'm taking too long. I haven't had any problems thus far, so I don't think it's a level thing. It's been forever, though, so might be some stuff I've forgotten.

Tips?

HTupolev

I gave up on trying to get this to run steadily and just decided to finish my old save on ps3.

I'm on the last battle with Barthandantalalalalalala. Can't seem to finish him off. Keeps casting doom on me, so I'm taking too long. I haven't had any problems thus far, so I don't think it's a level thing. It's been forever, though, so might be some stuff I've forgotten.

Tips?
Barty doesn't spew out much in the way of cartoonishly powerful attacks if you're laying into him, so I'd recommend trying a really aggressive paradigm deck with no SEN.

For instance:

Use COM/RAV/RAV and RAV/RAV/RAV (and maybe also SAB/RAV/RAV) to build up the chain gauge, and heal blazing fast with MED/MED/MED to quickly get back into aggressive offensive action. Remember, if you spend a while without hitting Barty with SAB or COM, the chain gauge will start to drain fast... so when you're building the gauge try to get some hits in with COM/RAV/RAV if you haven't done so extremely recently and think you're about to heal.

You might feel a bit on the edge, but if you're not underleveled it'll keep you hitting hard enough to easily avoid Doom.

Hikami

I've been gaming on this thing for years now.
Intel Core2Duo Cpu e4500 @2.2ghz
4GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce GT520 2GB
Running a pretty steady 30fps with 2x AA/AF in FF XIII

Do you guys think XIII-2 and Lightning Returns will be more demanding in system requirements than XIII?
I'd be willing to finally upgrade just for those two.

Skilletor

RAV/RAV/RAV (throw in a COM there if you want)
MED/SEN(or MED)/SEN
RAV/MED/SEN

Barty doesn't spew out much in the way of cartoonishly powerful attacks if you're laying into him, so I'd recommend trying a really aggressive paradigm deck with no SEN.

For instance:

Use COM/RAV/RAV and RAV/RAV/RAV (and maybe also SAB/RAV/RAV) to build up the chain gauge, and heal blazing fast with MED/MED/MED to quickly get back into aggressive offensive action. Remember, if you spend a while without hitting Barty with SAB or COM, the chain gauge will start to drain fast... so when you're building the gauge try to get some hits in with COM/RAV/RAV if you haven't done so extremely recently and think you're about to heal.

You might feel a bit on the edge, but if you're not underleveled it'll keep you hitting hard enough to easily avoid Doom.

Word.

Yeah, I've been conservative with COM/SEN/RAV and RAV/SEN/RAV. I'll just RTSD and see how that works. :)

Lain

So you're saying Hope, a kid with zero weaponrary experience, should have took the gun and die alongside his mother, thanks to the failure of plan that Snow had in mind.

Snow, as the leader, was responsible for those people lives, it wasn't supossed to be a suicide mission in which everyone were going to die. It was his responsability to get all the people alive there, or at least mostof them. His fabulous plan to charge with people who aren't used to fighting failed and the result was that eveyone died.

He didn't kill them, but his course of action was the direct result all of them dying. For a guy that spends a lot of time talking big about being a hero and saving people is laughable.

I'm saying that Hope didn't fight to protect his mother while his mother fought to protect him. This and other things are more likely to have Hope turn a sense of self-hate for his own weakness and cowardice (he isn't even able to confront Snow right after his mom's death when Vanille is telling him that she'd go together with him to talk to Snow) into a misguided blame game where he puts the blame on Snow (especially thanks to Snow's dumb hero talks) instead of the military because blaming Snow is easy while accepting the fact the military killed her and it happened because she wanted to protect Hope is harder to do for him.

Snow didn't plan for the civilians to fight, the civilians decided to pick up weapons and fight. They decided to follow him. The moment they decided to grab a weapon and follow him they were aware of the dangers. They knew that either they fought for a chance to survive, or they would simply be killed and that's why they asked to be allowed to fight too. As such it's not right to say that people died because of Snow's actions, it should be said that people survived because of Snow's actions given that many were saved. The people that died, died because of the military's actions.

Let's just look at what the game shows happening:
Snow's gang and civilians are shooting.
Military aircraft comes and starts shooting on them.
Snow's friend tells Snow to help them.
Snow tells Hope's mom to stay down and jumps in to try and grab a missile-launcher to destroy the craft but misses grabbing it.
Hope's mom fires the missile, hitting the craft and saving Snow, while reminding him that Moms are tough.
Much rejoice, interrupted by the hit craft firing toward the bridge,destroying it and making people fall down.
Hope's mom gets hit by the blast together with Snow and as the bridge breaks down, they too fall down.
Snow manages to grab onto something and grab Hope's mom hand.
Hope's mom tells Snow to bring him home and falls unconscious, letting go of Snow's hand.
Snow is visibly shaken and also wondering who is this him she was talking about.

Snow didn't manage to save her and many others but it wasn't his fault they died anymore than it was his fault the military wanted to eliminate them.

Top Bottom