• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

LuuKyK

I completely agree that LR was a huge downgrade in terms of graphics but XIII-2 was on par with XIII imo.

That rainy area at the start of the game + the snowy ones + Academia all look pretty up there with what XIII gave us (even if they ended up leading to some fps drops here and there).

Just says to me they had less money, time, and inclination to get it on par with ff13.

Granted, but the question was if the sequels performed worse.

Were you playing it on the xbawx? Yeah the framerate dipped, but it went nowhere sub 20FPS for me.

Didn't happen too often (sub 20), but it most certainly wasn't a stable framerate in places like the Steppes (where it was the low 20s). And yes, Xbox.

Corpekata

Banned
XIII-2 performed fine. But it was a graphical downgrade compared to XIII

LR is a beautiful PS2 game. But the art direction balanced out some of the jank

Well, they asked about performance, not looks. While looks can affect performance, my point was more along the lines of "yes, they looked worse, but also performed worse, so it can be inferred their PC versions might run worse too."

I completely agree that LR was a huge downgrade in terms of graphics but XIII-2 was on par with XIII imo.

That rainy area at the start of the game + the snowy ones + Academia all look pretty up there with what XIII gave us (even if they ended up leading to some fps drops here and there).

Yea, but the performance was really awful. Not as bad as Lightning Returns though.

HTupolev

XIII-2 performed fine.
It's pretty shaky. Frequently drops into the low 20's in some environments, even on PS3.

Given how it plays I wouldn't call it a huge issue, but it's a clear downgrade from FFXIII, which only rarely has significant drops outside of cutscenes.

But it was a graphical downgrade compared to XIII
I can understand if people think it doesn't look as good, but in many ways it's actually more intensive, at least in the overworld. Scene complexity is often higher with more danger of overdraw and big transparencies, and some spots have multiple shadow-casting light sources, for instance.

//=====================

Lightning Returns is a really weird case. I think what happened was a combination of low budget and an engine which wasn't really designed to support large contiguous environments of significant complexity (i.e. no asset streaming system).

"Make my wish come true.."
DAE895E02E0A9CC260DF1FF16F46AFFBD9A6B625

Hey gang.

found that dog's cousin

"Keep your eyes front. I'll watch the rear."

The Whitewood

Lain

Overly long AA Information for Nvidia cards and hopefully simple GeDoSaTo setup post

>HERE

That was an interesting post, especially the part about the antialiasing fix to prevent the macroblock like artifact on the hair. I haven't been able to get it to work though.

Edit: managed to get it to work. Looking at Light's hair now is even better!

I'm saying that Hope didn't fight to protect his mother while his mother fought to protect him. This and other things are more likely to have Hope turn a sense of self-hate for his own weakness and cowardice (he isn't even able to confront Snow right after his mom's death when Vanille is telling him that she'd go together with him to talk to Snow) into a misguided blame game where he puts the blame on Snow (especially thanks to Snow's dumb hero talks) instead of the military because blaming Snow is easy while accepting the fact the military killed her and it happened because she wanted to protect Hope is harder to do for him.

Snow didn't plan for the civilians to fight, the civilians decided to pick up weapons and fight. They decided to follow him. The moment they decided to grab a weapon and follow him they were aware of the dangers. They knew that either they fought for a chance to survive, or they would simply be killed and that's why they asked to be allowed to fight too. As such it's not right to say that people died because of Snow's actions, it should be said that people survived because of Snow's actions given that many were saved. The people that died, died because of the military's actions.

Let's just look at what the game shows happening:
Snow's gang and civilians are shooting.
Military aircraft comes and starts shooting on them.
Snow's friend tells Snow to help them.
Snow tells Hope's mom to stay down and jumps in to try and grab a missile-launcher to destroy the craft but misses grabbing it.
Hope's mom fires the missile, hitting the craft and saving Snow, while reminding him that Moms are tough.
Much rejoice, interrupted by the hit craft firing toward the bridge,destroying it and making people fall down.
Hope's mom gets hit by the blast together with Snow and as the bridge breaks down, they too fall down.
Snow manages to grab onto something and grab Hope's mom hand.
Hope's mom tells Snow to bring him home and falls unconscious, letting go of Snow's hand.
Snow is visibly shaken and also wondering who is this him she was talking about.

Snow didn't manage to save her and many others but it wasn't his fault they died anymore than it was his fault the military wanted to eliminate them.

Snow is shaken and minutes later return to his hero self serving actitude, also he gave the speech for people to join his fight, which was nothing else than a excuse to save Serah. Also is quite unclear that it even served to save any people, not only because it wasn't even that the only option, fight or die, but also seems it's clear that most people died anyway, being the characters the few survivors...

I'm just saying that even is obviously Hope profound hate and willingness to kill Snow comes from the fact he also blames himself and a way to cope with the pain, alas I don't think that Snow dosn't have any blame on the matter, as I said, even if people joined and was aware of the danger, they wasted their lives on a stupid, reckless plan. And that's all on Snow. Is like a general makes a bad call on the battlefield and a whole squadron dies, obviously they were killed by the enemy, but the blame also falls in the general.

XIII-2 performed fine. But it was a graphical downgrade compared to XIII

LR is a beautiful PS2 game. But the art direction balanced out some of the jank

Lol no, as soon you set foot on the city it's 20fps hell....

Other areas suffered as well.

Son of a fucking bitch this port sucks.

Major spoilers

I just beat a boss. Afterwards, Hope confronts Snow and is about to kill him when Sanctum blows them both up with rockets. After they hit the ground...the game crashes. Gotta redo the fight now and hope the game doesn't crash right afterwards.

Thoraxes

Son of a fucking bitch this port sucks.

Major spoilers

I just beat a boss. Afterwards, Hope confronts Snow and is about to kill him when Sanctum blows them both up with rockets. After they hit the ground...the game crashes. Gotta redo the fight now and hope the game doesn't crash right afterwards.

Are you using the mod though?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
How is anything Snow's fault? That makes no sense. Did you see how hardcore the military was coming down on everyone? The game makes it pretty damn clear that they were getting wiped out, fighting or no fighting. His plan had fuck all to do with the major bad outcomes. Military was cracking down and rounding people up hella faster than they could ever hope to run. With the fighting plan, most died, but the few who did survive only did so because of vehicles boosted from dead soldiers. They wouldn't have those if they tried anything else.

How is anything Snow's fault? That makes no sense. Did you see how hardcore the military was coming down on everyone? The game makes it pretty damn clear that they were getting wiped out, fighting or no fighting. His plan had fuck all to do with the major bad outcomes. Military was cracking down and rounding people up hella faster than they could ever hope to run. With the fighting plan, most died, but the few who did survive only did so because of vehicles boosted from dead soldiers. They wouldn't have those if they tried anything else.
I just went through that part

And that's pretty much what happened, I can see Hope blaming Snow, but it really was not his fault at all.

Arthea

Snow is shaken and minutes later return to his hero self serving actitude, also he gave the speech for people to join his fight, which was nothing else than a excuse to save Serah. Also is quite unclear that it even served to save any people, not only because it wasn't even that the only option, fight or die, but also seems it's clear that most people died anyway, being the characters the few survivors...

I'm just saying that even is obviously Hope profound hate and willingness to kill Snow comes from the fact he also blames himself and a way to cope with the pain, alas I don't think that Snow dosn't have any blame on the matter, as I said, even if people joined and was aware of the danger, they wasted their lives on a stupid, reckless plan. And that's all on Snow. Is like a general makes a bad call on the battlefield and a whole squadron dies, obviously they were killed by the enemy, but the blame also falls in the general.

Lol no, as soon you set foot on the city it's 20fps hell....

Other areas suffered as well.

do you want him to wallow in despair for hours? really? His hero shtick is sort of defence too, you know.

All this plan letting civilians join isn't that reckless, NORA are civilians too, let's not forget, they are resistance, not military force, not to mention couple of kids are in NORA too.

Thoraxes

Okay weird discovery.

I'm playing in Japanese with English subs. In the pre-rendered cutscenes and in-game cutscenes the overseas version of The Promise is playing even with the Japanese audio for the voiceovers. The JP and Overseas versions have slightly different lyrics even though both are in English.

Raitningz

Okay weird discovery.

I'm playing in Japanese with English subs. In the pre-rendered cutscenes and in-game cutscenes the overseas version of The Promise is playing even with the Japanese audio for the voiceovers. The JP and Overseas versions have slightly different lyrics even though both are in English.

Yeah, they're different. The lyrics of the sunleth waterscape are different too, I think.

Anyone else getting two screenshots in one when using steam for screenshots? its extremely annoying.

I'm having the same problem and it's really annoying. I tried to take screenshots with GeDoSaTo, but whenever I do, the game hangs for a second, which is even more annoying.

TheTux

I've been following the SteamDB page of XIII, the buildid parameter of the branch "test" has never changed, is it some private parameter that we can't see or they aren't updating the game through Steam?

Grief.exe

I've been following the SteamDB page of XIII, the buildid parameter of the branch "test" has never changed, is it some private parameter that we can't see or they aren't updating the game through Steam?

Again, no updates yet. I'll keep you guys informed on changes.

Lain

I'd expect some updates only because this game has to go on their streaming service, plus that pinned thread on the Steam forum that the SE dude said he would pass along. Though I bet we won't get anything.

Anteater

For some reason it never occurred to me that moving the right analog stick will actually move the camera in combat until today.

Playing with Japanese voices you notice a few cool things about the way the characters refer to each other that you lose in the english dub.

Off the top of my head up to chapter 5,
Sazh refers to lightining as nee-san (lady?) for some reason
Hope uses Lighting-san and later Light-san but never uses Snow's name [I recall him using aitsu (that guy)]
Snow uses nee-san (sister -because he's marrying Serah) and Lightining hates that he calls her that
Serah uses onee-chan (sister)

Playing with Japanese voices you notice a few cool things about the way the characters refer to each other that you lose in the english dub.

Off the top of my head up to chapter 5,
Sazh refers to lightining as nee-san (lady?) for some reason
Hope uses Lighting-san and later Light-san but never uses Snow's name [I recall him using aitsu (that guy)]
Snow uses nee-san (sister -because he's marrying Serah) and Lightining hates that he calls her that
Serah uses onee-chan (sister)

He definitely calls her sis in the english dub. That said Troy Baker going around saying nee-san would be hilarious.

Top Bottom