• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII PC |OT| Lightning must not be forgotten

So how does the pausing commands work in battle? For example you can command an attack to go off at a certain time.

In my first Eidolon battle right now and need to time my guards.

EDIT: Figured it out, press B to conserve ATB levels.

Or you can press y to immediately execute commands. If your ATB gauge is not full, it will only execute the commands that have been charged and ignore the otherss.

Grief.exe

I forced Adaptive, triple buffered vsync through Inspector, which seemed to give me a constant 60 FPS, but now I have crippling screen tearing.

Or you can press y to immediately execute commands. If your ATB gauge is not full, it will only execute the commands that have been charged and ignore the otherss.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is execute a command early to take off that last little bit of health. So satisfying.

I'll try that out too, thanks.

L.O.R.D

somehow , the FPS jumb to 60
but most of the time between 30-50
and i am playing without mod , only 720P
is there any way to make force it at 60 FPS all the time ?

laptop : i6 3730 mq 2.4 GB
GTX660m 2GB DDR5
8 GB ram

I should make a Kickstarter to create of team of dedicated PC porters to go around Japan helping out.

Any word/rumors about SE doing anything related to this?

I forced Adaptive, triple buffered vsync through Inspector, which seemed to give me a constant 60 FPS, but now I have crippling screen tearing.

Adaptive mode turns off v-sync when the fps is below 60 fps. So I don't think there's anything that can be done about tearing. It's too bad this game has weird performance issues. Locking it at 30fps is no answer either as in that case, it's no different from playing on my PS3. Really hoping SE fixes the issue and if not, at least for XIII-2 and LR.

One of my favorite things to do in this game is execute a command early to take off that last little bit of health. So satisfying.

Yep. Also it's so satisfying when you attack at the last moment when the stagger gauge is about to deplete and then get the stagger. Then launch the enemy in the air and keep it airborne through careful timing of paradigm shifts and its instant ATB recharge. This game can be so fun if played like that.

Squishy3

The best thing showing off how bad this port is watching the FPS fluctuate madly in loading screens where nothing is happening other than text scrolling.

Yep. Also it's so satisfying when you attack at the last moment when the stagger gauge is about to deplete and then get the stagger. Then launch the enemy in the air and keep it airborne through careful timing of paradigm shifts and its instant ATB recharge. This game can be so fun if played like that.

Truth. At times it can almost feel like an action game if you're creative enough with your execution.

I'm pretty sure people who say "lol autobattle" never tried to appreciate the combat on that level.

Locking it at 30fps is no answer either as in that case, it's no different from playing on my PS3.

I have to vehemently disagree on that point. I fired up the PS3 version yesterday just to get a real sense for the comparison. It's a blurry god damn mess compared to this. And even the PS3 version didn't maintain anywhere near a constant 30. Locked 60 is ideal, obviously, but until SE patches the game (lol) that's just not in the cards. 30 is fine by me.

Kazdane

The best thing showing off how bad this port is watching the FPS fluctuate madly in loading screens where nothing is happening other than text scrolling.

I'd guess that what is actually happening is that the environment and characters are being loaded in the background. It's the only reasonable explanation I can come up with.

Always loved doing that. FF XIII captures the essence of time really well. Some of the split second decision making is truly intense stuff.

My favorite is surprising an enemy, getting them all near stagger, and then casting quake. BAM! Next I would destroy them in a pyrotechic flurry of Blitzes and "Ga" spells. Never got tired of that from beginning to end.

ryan0991

Banned
His motivation for half the game is predicated on a lie the game made up (blames Snow for no reason whatsoever), he's constantly tired despite being the youngest member of the party, his L'Cie hate is beyond fanatical, and he dies all the time in combat because of his deplorable hp.
Exactly. The Hope/Snow plotline is absolutely dreadful and it nearly brings the entire game down with how horrible it is. Just absolutely awful writing and miss opportunities.

*spoilers below*

The game establishes this lie that it's Snow fault that Nora died (it's not). Hope then proceeds to act like a complete brat for entirely too long. He refuses to tell Snow about what happened and everyone around him simply enables his horrible behavior. Lightning was especially bad with this, even though she did try to reverse course, she didn't try hard enough. Hope continues to get more and more mad at the things Snow is saying, but you can hardly blame Snow for that since Hope refused to tell him about Nora. And then, despite the fact that Lightning already tried to talk him down, and despite the fact that Snow was already having a bit of a breakdown, Hope tries to kill him anyway. Worst of all is that Hope totally would have killed him if it weren't for a coincidental explosion that stopped him. At the very least, they should have made Hope hesitate a little bit.

That would have been a great time for his Eidolon battle, but instead his Eidolon battle happens later in a seemingly random fit of angst. It makes no sense.

So we're left with Hope who very nearly murdered Snow even though he had every reason not to. What's really bad is that the game doesn't even acknowledge this at all. It just keeps piling the blame on to Snow for some reason. The game doesn't even bother to address the very dark road Hope was on, nor does it address that Hope very nearly murdered Snow. It simply ignores the horrible things that Hope did. Where's Hope's guilt for what he almost did? Hope should be the one with a heavy conscious, not Snow.

Framerate drops and fluctuations during loading screens is actually completely normal. A lot of games do that.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Am I the only one who misses the controller vibration / rumble? Combat just feels hollow without it, I'm annoyed it's also been excluded since it was in the console versions.

So how does the pausing commands work in battle? For example you can command an attack to go off at a certain time.

In my first Eidolon battle right now and need to time my guards.

EDIT: Figured it out, press B to conserve ATB levels.

You don't really need to time your defense, just be sure you have Protector paradigm shift up for when her big attack comes.

ryan0991

Banned
Very time consuming and tedious and not 100% perfect but at least an improvement:
PC vanilla:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-0919ojjcl.png

PS3:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-0919k0km5.png

PC fixed:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-091955ks0.png

I don't know if there is a more elegant or efficient method or if you can somehow use different formats for the game since by default it expects to play bink videos.
What I did was re-compressed the original PS3 files with bink with significantly higher bitrate. Like brute forcing quality with a bad codec.
I have only tested this so far with the intro cinematic and it works ingame. But the intro is in a single file while some of the bigger files are achieves for several videos in one. Not sure it works there.
And the cinematics on the PS3 are 720p as well. There's nothing you can do without the originals. Only SquareEnix could.
Still... that is a significant improvement. You really reduced the compression artifacts.

BONKERS

Very time consuming and tedious and not 100% perfect but at least an improvement:
PC vanilla:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-0919ojjcl.png

PS3:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-0919k0km5.png

PC fixed:
ffxiiiimg2014-10-091955ks0.png

I don't know if there is a more elegant or efficient method or if you can somehow use different formats for the game since by default it expects to play bink videos.
What I did was re-compressed the original PS3 files with bink with significantly higher bitrate. Like brute forcing quality with a bad codec.
I have only tested this so far with the intro cinematic and it works ingame. But the intro is in a single file while some of the bigger files are achieves for several videos in one. Not sure it works there.
And the cinematics on the PS3 are 720p as well. There's nothing you can do without the originals. Only SquareEnix could.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Fucking bink though

so any fixes to the original game? Is it based on the updated 360 version in japan atleast?

It's like and up port from the 360 version, that is still not as good as the PS3, but with 60FPS (that some people have problems getting stable). idk what the updated 360 version is, so idk =P

BONKERS

Just going to have to replace the textures for those 2D elements. GEDOSATO has the functionality and Durante is working on an FFXIII implementation when he has the time.

Yeah, I can see doing the fonts will be easiest. (I can easily whip up the layer styles in photoshop probably. Someone would just have to probably trace the original font) Getting replacements for the portraits and other elements. That may prove more difficult.

It may end up being just a better choice to take the elements from the game, and try to upscale them to 1024,2048 as good as possible

CentroXer

Banned
It's like and up port from the 360 version, that is still not as good as the PS3, but with 60FPS (that some people have problems getting stable). idk what the updated 360 version is, so idk =P

japanese 360 version has higher stagger capability and higher item drop rate.

Shahadan

This is weird. I mean I know everything sucks and is a huge wasted potential but I still like it somehow. Maybe it's the quick flow of the battles or something. I could list everything I hate about it very easily and would probably have trouble listing what I like, but I'm still playing...

and playing @_@

oohhhh yeah

just got up to sunleth

dat ms. maya voice

Probably my favorite track in the game. I hate leaving that area.

japanese 360 version has higher stagger capability and higher item drop rate.

That's Easy Mode, which is included in this version.

This is weird. I mean I know everything sucks and is a huge wasted potential but I still like it somehow. Maybe it's the quick flow of the battles or something. I could list everything I hate about it very easily and would probably have trouble listing what I like, but I'm still playing...

and playing @_@

You've just described FFXIII in a nutshell.

Just wait for Chapter 11.

and playing @_@

It's basically Deadly Premonition, really.

=P

I will be playing the game mostly for the battle system and cool bosses (because those are in fact good), and yeah, from what I see the story is just not up to par with other Final Fantasies (which is actually a pretty high bar), but it doesn't mean you can't get enjoyment from it.

Grief.exe

and playing @_@

Ya I'm having a blast with the combat system.

Attack, shift, attack, wait, attack, shift, attack, wait, shift to defensive stance to heal up while still dealing the hurt.

They have cut so much fat away from the traditional JRPG formula that it almost veers into ARPG territory.

Dr Dogg

Attack, shift, attack, wait, attack, shift, attack, wait, shift to defensive stance to heal up while still dealing the hurt.

They have cut so much fat away from the traditional JRPG formula that it almost veers into ARPG territory.

Right now you're probably at the hold the left stick forward and press A/X a lot. Wait until you get to some of the boss battles or the stupidly hard to stagger enemies. Then the battle system comes into its own.

Arthea

Almost, but it's still plenty strategic, I ended a game having 3 teams for different situations and something like 6 sets of paradigms 2 for each team. It was painful to change it manually all the time, I wish the game let you save all menu of paradigms for a certain team.
Tempo is great though, it's really hard to keep up all the time, but there is no other way, so you just have to (><)

edited: I made motivation "sleep well" screenshot, decided to share

Test for text layer styles (Obviously font is just there as placeholder)
igJgMPQH2Se3X.png

Nice..very nice. It looks like this weekend is going to be all about Lighting..Playing through this game again(Didn't beat it on the PS3)And skipping the tutorial, one thing that finally hit is the level of detail S.E. put into this game is staggering. Is concept art come to life. One thing I enjoy about JRPG's is the journey..And boy this game delivers...I'm having a blast just re-writing the story in my head as well, lol.

Also, the update(GeDo)makes the game very pretty now at 1080>1080. I have it with MSAA X8 and Shadow at 4 at 60fps on my GTX 660. Just a few dips during battle. I get that clean image now on par to 4K..But 4K is 4K, lol. .

Here are my 1080p shots with MSAA X8 and Shadow on 4. I'm very happy the way it looks.

Goldmund

Has anyone beaten the game yet? I just made it to Palumpolum ... the Flanitor enemies are almost unkillable, they heal each other permanently. Is this a bug? I don't remember this ever happening on the PS3. The game crashed when I alt-tabbed out. I'll try the scene again without GeDoSaTo running, although that shouldn't have caused it.

EDIT: Same thing. I guess I just don't remember it being this annoying.

Top Bottom