• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

Jinko said:
If one of you brave souls run to Gridania I can give them a pearl and make them a sack holder, I see people have managed it, but it looks like quite a trek.

Sounds like a group effort. :D

Londa

Banned
Honestly it should become a MMO staple at this point that your game should open up with the World of Warcraft set up.

God, no

Not everyone needs to be on training wheels before they can ride a bike across the street. (what I mean is do you need to learn to cross the street everytime you go to a new intersection?)

Where you playing the same version of FFXI that I was playing? Cause FFXI was brutal to all noobs. I remember not even logging in for months after trying it for the first time.

nero2082

Alex said:
No, that's not why, it happened last night too and I can at least when server issues are occuring get to an error with it in windowed. When I choose full, it won't even boot the splash screens.

black screen here too, and crashing if I get it on windowed

notworksafe

Londa said:
God, no

Not everyone needs to be on training wheels before they can ride a bike across the street
:lol

I have no idea how you can constantly spew such garbage out on a game you've never played. How exactly do you know how "easy" WoW is? If you'd like, you can feel free to tank Heroic Lich King tonight in place of me tonight. I'll even give you my account info! I'm sure you'd easily own it with your massive FFXI skills.

nataku

MedIC86 said:
meh lobby seems up but getting some other kind of lobby error :S

I wouldn't expect to be able to play reliably for a couple of days.

I can't wait to see what launch day is like. A week or two before you can just log in whenever actually play. :lol

So it seems everything is up now but when you click Start to get to lobby/character select my game crashes, ff stopped working blabla. Not just me, some other guys on chat too.

Wth? Do I have to download damn client all over again?

Faulting application name: ffxivgame.exe, version: 0.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x4c7f4418
Faulting module name: ffxivgame.exe, version: 0.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x4c7f4418
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x009ff4b8
Faulting process id: 0x13d8
Faulting application start time: 0x01cb4ac5ab18e33b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\ffxivgame.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\ffxivgame.exe
Report Id: f3727f0d-b6b8-11df-a8f7-9b26d0f6c883

Asparagus

The game crashes when I get to the lobby screen :/

Big thanks to everyone that put these files up elsewhere btw, I'd still be at 6% using SE's crappy torrent updater.

Kandinsky

notworksafe said:

I have no idea how you can constantly spew such garbage out on a game you've never played. How exactly do you know how "easy" WoW is? If you'd like, you can feel free to tank Heroic Lich King tonight in place of me tonight. I'll even give you my account info! I'm sure you'd easily own it with your massive FFXI skills.
FFXI is easier imo:lol

Jbird34

nataku said:
I wouldn't expect to be able to play reliably for a couple of days.

I can't wait to see what launch day is like. A week or two before you can just log in whenever actually play. :lol

inb4 good thing they will have all this fixed by launch...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
13100 error code, but at least it doesn't close the program anymore.

BTW is there a trick to getting on the Beta Forums website? I tried to get on but it said I wasn't in the Beta...

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:

cause they just described how WoW is when you first start. I like how you didn't include the other part of my comment. Anyways...

lol who cares about tanking anything in WoW in a FFXIV thread. Oh, you do. My bad.

Seeing as the servers have only been up for about an hour now since launch, I still haven't gotten a chance to play.

So... Does alt+tab work yet?

notworksafe

Londa said:
cause they just described how WoW is when you first start. I like how you didn't include the other part of my comment. Anyways...

lol who cares about tanking anything in WoW in a FFXIV thread. Oh, you do. My bad.

lol who cares about mocking the difficulty of anything in WoW in a FFXIV thread. Oh, you do. My bad.

Salaadin

Mister Zimbu said:
Seeing as the servers have only been up for about an hour now since launch, I still haven't gotten a chance to play.

No.

I actually tried it in game and it didnt work at all like...nothing happened at all. WIndows key didnt work either.

When I alt tabbed at the menu, it kicked me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mister Zimbu said:

I've been running the game in windowed mode and it's quite stable.

Zakkath

I tried alt-tab (while trying to enter the lobby) and the game crashed. Something about not detecting directx.

Anyways, the status page says all servers are up, but I still cannot enter the lobby.

Bento

notworksafe said:

Isn't it quite telling that you need to bring up raids to showcase the difficulty of World of Warcraft? That's one of the things that makes me excited about Cataclysm is that they're trying to add some challenge to other parts of the game and not just the raids, all non raid content between 1-80 is simply way too easy and doesn't pose much of a threat.

Besides I don't think he was implying that WoW was too easy and more that not every game need a hold your hand approach to the beginning of the game and that you can allow the person to explore and learn the game at their own pace (there are some tutorials though, right?). I Personally like the fact that you start out in the big city instead of some outback piece of shit like the Orc/Troll starting place >_<

falastini

DrForester said:
I've been running the game in windowed mode and it's quite stable.
It's fullscreen he's talking about. It's always worked in windowed.

As a matter a fact, I'm typing this from my iPhone so I don't get kicked out the lobby :lol

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
lol who cares about mocking the difficulty of anything in WoW in a FFXIV thread. Oh, you do. My bad.

Because you compared it to FFXI. I wasn't mocking the difficulty I was saying how unrelated WoW is in a FFXIV. But WoW fans continue to want to bring it up at all times.

I Personally like the fact that you start out in the big city instead of some outback piece of shit like the Orc/Troll starting place >_<

Thank you, this is what I was trying to get across the whole time. Also I'm a girl, but its cool, you didn't know.

Khrno

zlatko said:
Honestly it should become a MMO staple at this point that your game should open up with the World of Warcraft set up. Small area, few quests, get you used to interactions and questing, and then lead you onto the next town to expand on that, until eventually you hit the "you should get it" area. I think even Lineage 2 does that and heck even FFXI is more akin to that method than FFXIV is.

Oh look, Aion did that. Fuck that shit :)

notworksafe said:

Real talk.

gillty

Banned
you can't alt-tab in fullscreen its been like this since alpha with zero explanation from SE, you can however use windowed mode. :lol

let me point you to this handy script that many have enjoyed, its so good even lolonda hated on it

Valru said:
Borderless Window Utility

I've created an extremely simple script with AutoHotKey that will give FFXIV a borderless window. Borderless Windows are extremely popular for people with multi-monitor setups, and those who want to quickly switch between windows in games like TF2.

What it does:
Gives you that look of being full-screen mode while being in windowed mode
Unfortunately because you are in windowed mode you will see the usual fps hit compared to full-screen mode

How to use:
1)Set FFXIV to Windowed Mode in the config
2)Run the exe of your choice depending on resolution, you should see a H icon in the traybar
3)Launch FFXIV, and once ingame hit CTRL+ALT+F to go to borderless window mode

I've included 5 exes for five common widescreen resolutions: 1280x720, 1440x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080 & 1920x1200

I have also included the script & the autohotkey installer for you to edit if you need a different resolution.

Code:
!^f::
WinSet, Style, -0xC40000, A
WinMove, A, , 0, 0, 1680, 1050
;WinActivate, A
return

Download 2.9mb
http://www.mediafire.com/?rkd3gylv7fb2u5o

notworksafe

Perhaps so, Bento but many people are just bringing up the idea that the tutorial can be an OPTION. It's an OPTION in WoW/LotRO/WAR and many other MMOs. The option isn't even there for those that want/need it in FFXIV. It doesn't jive with the idea of this game appealing to casuals.

Plus Londa has consistently mocked the difficulty of WoW and other MMOs over the months that I've seen him posting in these FF threads, so I had to at least mention it a bit. :lol

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Perhaps so, Bento but many people are just bringing up the idea that the tutorial can be an OPTION. It's an OPTION in WoW/LotRO/WAR and many other MMOs. The option isn't even there for those that want/need it in FFXIV. It doesn't jive with the idea of this game appealing to casuals.

Plus Londa has consistently mocked the difficulty of WoW and other MMOs over the months that I've seen him posting in these FF threads, so I had to at least mention it a bit. :lol

Tutorials are there. You go to a crystal and click on "My first adventure", you follow the starting storyline that is basically a big tutorial.

I never brought up WoW until someone saids something about how FFXIV should take stuff from WoW.

She, not he, and I'm sure you already know that.

Bento said:
Isn't it quite telling that you need to bring up raids to showcase the difficulty of World of Warcraft? That's one of the things that makes me excited about Cataclysm is that they're trying to add some challenge to other parts of the game and not just the raids, all non raid content between 1-80 is simply way too easy and doesn't pose much of a threat.

Besides I don't think he was implying that WoW was too easy and more that not every game need a hold your hand approach to the beginning of the game and that you can allow the person to explore and learn the game at their own pace (there are some tutorials though, right?). I Personally like the fact that you start out in the big city instead of some outback piece of shit like the Orc/Troll starting place >_<

To be fair, the 1-70 instances were quite difficult when they were released... I remember normal shadow labyrinth and shattered halls being really hard for instance.

Its only in lich king that everything pre-heroic raids became retardedly easy. Sounds like cataclysm is taking some steps back in the right direction through.

LowParry

So people who've got to play, anyone done any group Leves yet? Soloing it out once you're done is pretty rough. They have upped the difficulty, that's for sure. Just wondering if it is beneficial to solo more out or group it up. Also death effects seem to wear off a lot quick. And for casters, it starts out your casting as a single target instead of an aoe. You still have to click the green tab to switch between the two, but it general starts with single target every time.

And crafting is such a pain in the ass. No forgiveness with it.

nero2082

Valru said:
you can't alt-tab in fullscreen its been like this since alpha with zero explanation from SE, you can however use windowed mode. :lol

let me point you to this handy script that many have enjoyed, its so good even lolonda hated on it

excellent, but do you have exe for 1280x1024?

Kandinsky

Jinko said:
Valru made a borderless hack for windowed mode which is just as good as fullscreen, im not guna go searching all these pages for it though, could be on the OP.
Be careful tho, SE doesnt like when people use third party software, you will be risking your beta access probably.

zlatko

Banned
Londa said:
God, no

Not everyone needs to be on training wheels before they can ride a bike across the street. (what I mean is do you need to learn to cross the street everytime you go to a new intersection?)

Where you playing the same version of FFXI that I was playing? Cause FFXI was brutal to all noobs. I remember not even logging in for months after trying it for the first time.

The game is NOT set up with training wheels from the start. Plenty of people around me in the start areas can get killed getting over zealous. I know in the second town you go to for Horde a lot of the troll quests kicked my butt without a good few people to help manage the amount of enemies and boss troll dudes.

WoW just sets it up for a good pacing if you just start the game. Anytime I made a new character you can blaze through these areas hella fast and it never felt like a chore to do so. When you are going through it your first time it feels just like a great amount of work went into making it a fun learning experience.

If any other WoW heads are in here I'm sure they can agree if WoW got anything right it was this. Although being honest it got A LOT right more than just this. It's not my favorite MMO as I only spent beta + a year tops with it when it first came out. I've stated I played XI for 6 years on and off.

This game should be an evolution of what XI set up, but like others have stated it seems SE completely dismissed XI in too many ways. Like I've stated before though I'm sure I'll start seeing more positives about the game soon once I get more play time that could outweigh the bad I've drawn up in my head. The battle system to note is both a hit and a miss for me playing on a keyboard. Spamming 1 is a little frivolous but dodging enemy attacks in various ways is an awesome idea. The graphics like I said are awesome. Music is great.(No surprise there) The few enemies I've seen are all big improvments off what the starter mobs were in XI or WoW or Lineage, etc.

How interesting do leves get later on? Are there going to be full blown story missions like XI I had? If there aren't I can honestly say I won't be getting the game. That to me is THE most important thing and the reason I stuck with XI so long. The story missions from all the expansions were some of the most god damn rewarding experiences ever from any game I've ever played. Completing CoP to get Rajas Ring was like placing first in the olympics. :D

notworksafe

Kandinsky said:
Be careful tho, SE doesnt like when people use third party software, you will be risking your beta access probably.
Hmm..I'm shocked there isn't a Windower version for 14 yet, speaking of third party.

Jinko

Kandinsky said:

Is undetectable supposedly, but you're right lol, I'm waiting for someone to make a hardware mouse overlay :lol

Londa time to let it go love.

Bento said:
Besides I don't think he was implying that WoW was too easy

No, i assure you she was recycling some same old messageboard trope of WoW being "easy".

NWS was pointing out that londa doesn't actually have a clue of what she's talking about because she's never played actually played that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom