• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

falastini

Khrno said:
And yeah, that's what I've been reduced to, all for 18 STR. Hate the face too.
Does that matter? We get to choose our own stat allocation in FFXIV. This isn't FFXI were you were tied to your chosen race's stats.

Although, on a side note, I'm disappointed with the Highlanders. They still have the least number of customizations. I was hoping they'd add more for open beta, since this is basically the final creation build.

And I hate how SE decided to tie certain customizing options to certain features. Oh you want this beard? It's only available for this one face. But you have 9 options for eyes! Even though they all look the same.

edit: new patch is up
edit2: list for new page

Ul'dah
Falastini - Rusty Subligar
CcrooK - Dark Elf
Nakazato- Isamu Nakazato
Balya - Balya Malkan
bardia - Cyrus Ziad
zlatko- Outlaw Star
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen
Canti - Canti Socanto
Gopsje - Geops Pluisje
Kuraine - Cobbi Kuraine
Clever Pun - Blue Owl
BentMyWookiee - Spoony Bard
Velion - Erya Verani

Gridania
*Jinko - Jinko Jinko
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro
Pietepiet - Poeffe Caixa
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode
Jiggle - Harry Bolls
Vivin - Taru Taru
Munba - Munba Lunru
Rengoku - Rengoku Renge
careksims - Kessah Shrykewolf
ToastyBanana - Doobedytoo Mcjibbajabba

Limsa Lominsa
Conceited - Manabu Orido

Khrno

Jinko said:
3-4 points in STR won't break a character.

That's what all the Hume melees said in FFXI, but my parsers said otherwise.

Oh, dilemmas, go for the optimal set up, or for the elvaan face.

Londa

Banned
Khrno said:
The moogles just scream: "Buy my plushie! BUY MY PLUSHIEEEE!!!"

And yeah, that's what I've been reduced to, all for 18 STR. Hate the face too.

They are the starting cities, together with Limsa Lominsa, you get to choose that as the final step during character creation right before entering the game. Server is chosen right before that.

Well he does have a nice eye color. You could just make sure to have 3 str extra when you allocate your stats. But it can be a pain.

nataku

falastini said:
And I hate how SE decided to tie certain customizing options to certain features. Oh you want this beard? It's only available for this one face. But you have 9 options for eyes! Even though they all look the same.

Yeah. I want a nice beard on my character, but the only faces on Hyur and Elezen that have a good one are the old man faces.

Roegadyn are the only ones with good bears.

I still don't understand what the different types are. I haven't noticed any customization option differences. Then again, I didn't dig through every option because I couldn't be bothered.

notworksafe

Kintaro said:
Wow. SE is so full of fail that it can't even send an email properly. Nor can they send an email to a new email address properly.
They really can't manage to do much right. They have manage to slowly kill my excitement and interest in this game over each passing phase. And they have finally managed to make me cancel my preorder. So...congratulations, Square!

Anyway, I'm out. Have fun guys. I'll probably check back in on this game in 6 months to a year and see what's been fixed.

Khrno

Jinko said:
Oh you're one of them :S LOL /comfort

Indeed I am :lol

falastini said:
Does that matter? We get to choose our own stat allocation in FFXIV. This isn't FFXI were you were tied to your chosen race's stats.

It won't matter as much as FFXI for sure, but if you compare the stats (they should be a few pages back), them and some Roegadyn have the best melee stats (STR/VIT/DEX).

Londa said:
Well he does have a nice eye color. You could just make sure to have 3 str extra when you allocate your stats. But it can be a pain.

Red eyes are awesome, they look great with blue hair (not on these characters, but on female ones :p).

I well could just gimp VIT all together at cap to make up for the lower elezeen STR, I used to wear my self-signed Onyx Cuisses before I got Homam pants, and was always being hit harder by AoEs than everyone else.

Onyx_Cuisses.gif

CAW

So as it stands right now, with all that's been going on, do you guys see a smooth launch in three weeks or a high probability of the game being delayed?

Einherjar

Adding myself to the list

Ul'dah
CcrooK - Dark Elf
Nakazato- Isamu Nakazato
Balya - Balya Malkan
bardia - Cyrus Ziad
zlatko- Outlaw Star
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen
Canti - Canti Socanto
Gopsje - Geops Pluisje
Kuraine - Cobbi Kuraine
Clever Pun - Blue Owl
BentMyWookiee - Spoony Bard
Velion - Erya Verani

Gridania
*Jinko - Jinko Jinko
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro
Pietepiet - Poeffe Caixa
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode
Jiggle - Harry Bolls
Vivin - Taru Taru
Munba - Munba Lunru
Rengoku - Rengoku Renge
careksims - Kessah Shrykewolf
ToastyBanana - Doobedytoo Mcjibbajabba

Limsa Lominsa
Conceited - Manabu Orido
Einherjar - The Emperor

Zalasta

By the way, I was told that Lindblum is leading the votes as the "official" RP server. Good luck to you all if that is the case :D

ithorien

CAW said:
So as it stands right now, with all that's been going on, do you guys see a smooth launch in three weeks or a high probability of the game being delayed?

Option C:

No delay, but a train wreck of a launch.

falastini

Zalasta said:
By the way, I was told that Lindblum is leading the votes as the "official" RP server. Good luck to you all if that is the case :D
You guys sure picked a good one -_-. I noticed it was reddit's official server as well.

my patch is suck..........

Khrno

CAW said:

If server issues are sorted out, the game will be released regardless of gameplay issues or lack of features.

Servers will be the deciding factor here. The current build is decent enough so far, and with cynical eyes, you can say the game will be ready for the 22nd.

There are bugs that will be fixed shortly, like in the Emote quests, the NPCs aren't performing the right actions, or some textures missing during some key cutscenes. The thing is how do we report these issues now that the Feedback forum is off limits.

Salaadin said:
Where do people get this info from..

Allakhazam probably.

falastini said:
my patch is suck..........

There's a mediafire link in the previous page for today's patch.

Jinko

I don't think it will be that bad come release, I think its just a matter of having decent expectations.

I guess im guna have to go punt me some RPing Lalafells. THIS IS MY SERVER!

Khrno

That works too.

I used the ddl because when I tried running the game before there was the error that it wouldn't even start the updater tho, and someone had already uploaded them.

zlatko

Banned
notworksafe said:
They really can't manage to do much right. They have manage to slowly kill my excitement and interest in this game over each passing phase. And they have finally managed to make me cancel my preorder. So...congratulations, Square!

Anyway, I'm out. Have fun guys. I'll probably check back in on this game in 6 months to a year and see what's been fixed.

NOW the fatigue system makes sense. It's to limit the amount of awful you are exposed to. Too much beta for you. :lol

On a more serious note I've only had a few hours under my belt, but I can already tell this is NOT a step up from FFXI in any way shape or form except graphics. I'll wait until I have a week or so of open beta play before I decide if I should cancel my pre order or not.

My analogy for this game is, it's like Square Enix gives you a 100 dollar bill(AWESOME), but that bill is covered in 40 different animals feces, sars, aids, anthrax, and a violent case of melaria. I mean yeah, inside all of this crap is awesome, but without the bull crap getting cleared out of the way it's impossible to enjoy that within.

ithorien

So I got the 4 patch files downloaded, but while going to apply I get an Error 20524.

Quick google suggests adjusting game.ver to appropriate date, but if I adjust it, it starts the game but the patch files are still in the patch directory suggesting that they didn't get applied.

Anyone else with this issue?

Jinko

Salaadin said:
Lindblum isn't going to be that bad. The people seem nice so far. Much more talkative than the closed beta

I duno if its just ignorance or people don't see your messages or what but this game is giving me bad vibes as far as communication goes, some of the worst i have seen.

Khrno

Not being able to move the action bar or the NPC chat box really gets in the way when trying to set the log window from one side to the other.

In the little default box it's too easy to miss what people say specially during a fight. The transparent background (or lack of it) doesn't help either.

Oh, and the most important thing, no CTRL+R is just so much fail. SE haven't realized that we have to type 2 names, not just 1 but 2, to reply a tell, so it gets annoying trying to talk with someone that way.

Hopefully shortcuts will be added quick, as in the first update after launch. Theya re too busy right now working with the servers to add something like that during the OB.

Khrno said:
They are the starting cities, together with Limsa Lominsa, you get to choose that as the final step during character creation right before entering the game. Server is chosen right before that.
Thanks, thought its like starting are and you can travel to other ones(can you?). I picked first one, not sure which one that is QQ

Jinko

Khrno said:
Oh, and the most important thing, no CTRL+R is just so much fail.

But there is, although you have to either press space or / before to get the chat mode active then press CTRL+R

Azrael

Jinko said:
When you select guildleves and get the "you have no more leves available" it doesn't kick you back out, it just goes back to the previous menu.

Targeting is much faster after killing a mob now.

Linkshell members have green orbs next to their name if they are online, in white if in the same area.

Can use CTRL+R whilst in chatmode to reply to the last person, same as FF11 keep pressing to toggle through names of past /tells.

Gaurdians Favour now pops up when you accept a leve.

Menu's and inventory is much much more responsive NPC shops are still laggy though. (haven't messed about with my retainer yet)

Mini map was full of white PC dots but wasn't getting any noticable lag, seems their servers aren't doing too bad.

Couple other fixes I noticed of things that really bugged me in phase 3:

You now receive notification messages in the chat log when loot drops after a kill.

Drop-down menus can be accessed via controller. You don't have to switch to mouse to check quests in your journal, equip abilities, etc.

Khrno

Jinko said:
But there is, although you have to either press space or / before to get the chat mode active then press CTRL+R

Really??? Hmm, well gotta try it.

I don't know what's worst, trying to play this game with no knowledge of MMORPGs, or trying to play this game like FFXI lol

Nolimit_SS said:
Thanks, thought its like starting are and you can travel to other ones(can you?). I picked first one, not sure which one that is QQ

Yeah you can travel around the world of course, but it will be a while until you dare to venture into the outside world of aggresive mobs.

zlatko

Banned
Khrno said:
Really??? Hmm, well gotta try it.

I don't know what's worst, trying to play this game with no knowledge of MMORPGs, or trying to play this game like FFXI lol

Yeah you can travel around the world of course, but it will be a while until you dare to venture into the outside world of aggresive mobs.

No knowledge of MMO's would be a 100X's worse than just going off FFXI experience. At least from FFXI experience you know that you want to find a quest npc, get to leveling, sell items, get better gear, ask around for help, etc. If this is anyones first MMO and they are a semi casual game player, then this will turn them off super fast.

Khrno

zlatko said:
semi casual game player

You might have to elaborate in that.

Because if it's the first MMO for someone, it won't be the same if that person has experience with RPGs of any kind, specially with those that don't have glowing arrows/paths (Fable 2).

I'm sure the majority of players for this game will have some sort of experience with either FF or RPGs in general, so unless they are too lazy or really dumb, they should know what the basic of questing, character growth, item management in an RPG is.

I know the system is not intuitive by any means, but unless you are new to RPGs, there shouldn't be a big problem finding out how the game works together with the tutorials, and even manual if so they desire to look outside the box.

Londa

Banned
Zalasta said:

:lol Time to change my server.

zlatko said:
NOW the fatigue system makes sense. It's to limit the amount of awful you are exposed to. Too much beta for you. :lol

On a more serious note I've only had a few hours under my belt, but I can already tell this is NOT a step up from FFXI in any way shape or form except graphics. I'll wait until I have a week or so of open beta play before I decide if I should cancel my pre order or not.

My analogy for this game is, it's like Square Enix gives you a 100 dollar bill(AWESOME), but that bill is covered in 40 different animals feces, sars, aids, anthrax, and a violent case of melaria. I mean yeah, inside all of this crap is awesome, but without the bull crap getting cleared out of the way it's impossible to enjoy that within.

Ok dude, we understand that you want to like the game but you can't stand it. Stop torchering yourself by playing a beta that is most likey going to be glitched to hell anyways.

Khrno

Alex said:
Odd, I can't seem to get it to boot into full screen. Just draws a black screen.

That's because servers have being down for the past 3 hours for maintenance, but it won't be long until they're all up again.

ithorien

ithorien said:
So I got the 4 patch files downloaded, but while going to apply I get an Error 20524.

Quick google suggests adjusting game.ver to appropriate date, but if I adjust it, it starts the game but the patch files are still in the patch directory suggesting that they didn't get applied.

Anyone else with this issue?

Anyone? :(

Alex

Khrno said:
That's because servers have being down for the past 3 hours for maintenance, but it won't be long until they're all up again.

No, that's not why, it happened last night too and I can at least when server issues are occuring get to an error with it in windowed. When I choose full, it won't even boot the splash screens.

zlatko

Banned
Khrno said:
You might have to elaborate in that.

Because if it's the first MMO for someone, it won't be the same if that person has experience with RPGs of any kind, specially with those that don't have glowing arrows/paths (Fable 2).

I'm sure the majority of players for this game will have some sort of experience with either FF or RPGs in general, so unless they are too lazy or really dumb, they should know what the basic of questing, character growth, item management in an RPG is.

I know the system is not intuitive by any means, but unless you are new to RPGs, there shouldn't be a big problem finding out how the game works together with the tutorials, and even manual if so they desire to look outside the box.

Well I was going to convince a buddy who's played a few FF games, but is really big into FPS to play this with me, but I can tell right now with the way the game is set up that he won't get into it.

Honestly it should become a MMO staple at this point that your game should open up with the World of Warcraft set up. Small area, few quests, get you used to interactions and questing, and then lead you onto the next town to expand on that, until eventually you hit the "you should get it" area. I think even Lineage 2 does that and heck even FFXI is more akin to that method than FFXIV is.

Sorry if my wording is a bit off, and I might sound like a negative nancy, BUT I want this game to rock. It's easily my most anticipated game of since ever. When I finally got to log in today and play for a few hours I was all :D from excitement. It's just now I'm evaluating in my head what I played.

Wish the game was back up so I could continue seeing if it's just the initial hurdle is a bit crap, but after that it unveils itself to awesome.

ithorien

Khrno said:
Disable your antivirus while they install.

Yea, tried that and sadly it doesn't fix it >< It's definitely the last file too, the 2010.09.02.2001, but I grabbed that from FFXIVcore and it doesn't matter.

Here comes a reinstall...

falastini

ithorien said:
Yea, tried that and sadly it doesn't fix it ><
I would say try uninstalling/deleting everything and start from scratch. Use the ddl options instead of their updater. The only error I ever received trying to update was because of the antivirus.

Azrael

Me too.

Einherjar said:
Adding myself to the list

Ul'dah
CcrooK - Dark Elf
Nakazato- Isamu Nakazato
Balya - Balya Malkan
bardia - Cyrus Ziad
zlatko- Outlaw Star
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen