• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

zlatko

Banned
Azrael said:
You need to inspect Aetherite crystals to be able to teleport to them. After you do that to the one in the Aetherite plaza in Ul'dah you should be able to select it for teleport.

I inspected both the one in the city and the one outside where I was questing. Now that the two are linked I can teleport from outside back in and vice versa ?

Jinko

If your update is crashing at 0% then use Utorrent.

Meh now im getting:-
93354313.jpg

Jbird34

A poster on another site said Cornelia server there was a message about server being taken down for emergency maintenance, maybe they forgot to announce it on Lindblum?

Astery

So I was messing around in the create new character screen, then alt-tab out to check out MSN and it says direct X something something, restart FF14. Restart and Error 1015.

WTF is this shit?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Any place to direct download the newest patch they put up earlier this morning?

How do you use them once you download?

My downloader still wont go past 47.3%

Added myself to the list. But I won't be on until later in the day

ToastyBanana said:
Ul'dah
Falastini - Rusty Subligar
CcrooK - Dark Elf
Nakazato- Isamu Nakazato
Balya - Balya Malkan
bardia - Cyrus Ziad
zlatko- Outlaw Star
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen
Canti - Canti Socanto
Gopsje - Geops Pluisje
Kuraine - Cobbi Kuraine
Clever Pun - Blue Owl
BentMyWookiee - Spoony Bard

Gridania
*Jinko - Jinko Jinko
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro
Pietepiet - Poeffe Caixa
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode
Jiggle - Harry Bolls
Vivin - Taru Taru
Munba - Munba Lunru
Rengoku - Rengoku Renge
careksims - Kessah Shrykewolf
ToastyBanana - Doobedytoo Mcjibbajabba

nataku

Hmm. Version check failed? What the hell?

"11014 Version check failed.2:20447,0"

Anyone else get this when trying to update?

Shouta

I'm definitely not doing Gridania at retail. That layout makes me want to straggle something. It's goddamn Windurst all over again. Limsa or Ul'dah if I do play retail. My char is Lenneth Valkyrie on Lindblum though the thought of playing on Besaid has crossed my mind. Figaro and Mysidia are at 2 Chocos for server pop already. :lol

I'm still not sure why when you first hit targetting, you pick yourself. It should default to the closest critter instead =/

jiggle

yeah i'm not too crazy about gridania either
so dark and the layout sucks
and the leve mobs are like miles away from camp
really thought i'd love it cuz it's so leafy

gonna give ul'dha a try next

zlatko

Banned
Shouta said:
I'm definitely not doing Gridania at retail. That layout makes me want to straggle something. It's goddamn Windurst all over again. Limsa or Ul'dah if I do play retail. My char is Lenneth Valkyrie on Lindblum though the thought of playing on Besaid has crossed my mind. Figaro and Mysidia are at 2 Chocos for server pop already. :lol

I'm still not sure why when you first hit targetting, you pick yourself. It should default to the closest critter instead =/

I said the same thing somewhere either in this or the other ffxiv thread. I hate how hitting tab also will not pick the damn enemy closest/hitting you.

I started out in Ul'dah and the town layout probably isn't any better than Gridania. I was a bit confused on where to go and the town has upper and lower levels it seems. The outside habitat is very pretty looking though. I think I'm going to start on Limsa unless someone has nightmare stories about it they would like to share.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
I said the same thing somewhere either in this or the other ffxiv thread. I hate how hitting tab also will not pick the damn enemy closest/hitting you.

I started out in Ul'dah and the town layout probably isn't any better than Gridania. I was a bit confused on where to go and the town has upper and lower levels it seems. The outside habitat is very pretty looking though. I think I'm going to start on Limsa unless someone has nightmare stories about it they would like to share.

Limsa is pretty basic and cool. I didnt find it hard to navigate at all. Everyone is just so sick of it though.

Jinko

Gridania is awesome if you love Windurst though, which I did.

I'm guna need to get a new graphics card though, Gridania is killing it lol

Teknoman

Rengoku said:
Yeah, that quest was extremely annoying, I can't believe SE put that in there, they don't give you any clue as to which emote to use, its just trial and error.

Its not like the limsa lominsa quest where they pretty much spell it out with italics?

ithorien

zlatko said:

Limsa has two levels. It is pretty widespread, takes a while to run from place to place. Just from looking at the maps it seems that Ul'dah actually has the best layout.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Its not like the limsa lominsa quest where they pretty much spell it out with italics?

Nope they say "and then you do this" and they don't even do the emote lol.

Is everyone else getting this version check timeout or is it just me ?

Shouta

So where do we pick up linkshells in the towns anyway?

Also still the lack of context pop-up menu is blargh. I don't want to go to the full menu every time.

ithorien

Jinko said:
Nope they say "and then you do this" and they don't even do the emote lol.

Is everyone else getting this version check timeout or is it just me ?

Pretty sure everyone. I was stuck on 47.3% at home, at work I can't even start.

LaneDS

So what are the noticeable changes, to those that have had some time with it? Server issues aside, any notable improvements or things that are worse?

Velion

Ul'dah
Falastini - Rusty Subligar
CcrooK - Dark Elf
Nakazato- Isamu Nakazato
Balya - Balya Malkan
bardia - Cyrus Ziad
zlatko- Outlaw Star
Zomba13 - Zomba Thirteen
Canti - Canti Socanto
Gopsje - Geops Pluisje
Kuraine - Cobbi Kuraine
Clever Pun - Blue Owl
BentMyWookiee - Spoony Bard
Velion - Erya Verani

Gridania
*Jinko - Jinko Jinko
Soroc - Soroc Dahydro
Pietepiet - Poeffe Caixa
Salaadin - Salaadin Voivode
Jiggle - Harry Bolls
Vivin - Taru Taru
Munba - Munba Lunru
Rengoku - Rengoku Renge
careksims - Kessah Shrykewolf
ToastyBanana - Doobedytoo Mcjibbajabba

Added myself to list

DrDogg

So... looking at the time stamps on posts, the game started working as soon as I went to bed, then starts crashing again as soon as I wake up.

*hate*

Jinko

LaneDS said:
So what are the noticeable changes, to those that have had some time with it? Server issues aside, any notable improvements or things that are worse?

When you select guildleves and get the "you have no more leves available" it doesn't kick you back out, it just goes back to the previous menu.

Targeting is much faster after killing a mob now.

Linkshell members have green orbs next to their name if they are online, in white if in the same area.

Can use CTRL+R whilst in chatmode to reply to the last person, same as FF11 keep pressing to toggle through names of past /tells.

Gaurdians Favour now pops up when you accept a leve.

Menu's and inventory is much much more responsive NPC shops are still laggy though. (haven't messed about with my retainer yet)

Mini map was full of white PC dots but wasn't getting any noticable lag, seems their servers aren't doing too bad.

LaneDS

The UI lag being much better is quite comforting. The rest don't sound like major changes but improvements are improvements, so thumbs up.

Yeah the UI lag is soooo much better. Didn't really get a chance to play last night after I finally got in, only watched the cutscenes for one of the new cities. Are macros fixed? I know in Phase 3 when I used macros it only equiped the last 4-5 macros. Would be nice if they worked now

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Letting the Home PC redownload the Beta files from the site. I apparently had downloaded a slightly older version, so the installer kept trying to download new patch files. Should hopefully be down before I get home.

My Choice of name, if possible, would be Lone Starr.

ithorien

UI lag is significantly improved, if not almost fixed.

Selling lag is still awful though.

Framerates on my machine still suffer a bit, still dip to 14s in spots. Mouse is still laggy.

Leves obviously still break when you crash/DC.

Not sure why the big center chatbox pops up during chat with NPCs for quests that aren't cuts.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Any word if there are plans to introduce mog houses (or something similar)

Going to redo my character when servers come back. Mage jobs are too much of a pain.

Jinko

ithorien said:
Selling lag is still awful though.

Damn I was worried about this, but I think SE said they are doing some kind of feedback on NPC's so the lag which is causing the lag, hopefully it won't be in the launch game.

There will no doubt be similar later down the road, can't see it being added before or at launch though.

Moogles are native to Gridania, so maybe we'll have to go catch one :p

falastini

DrForester said:

Going to redo my character when servers come back. Mage jobs are too much of a pain.

You can just grab a different weapon. If the opening mission is anything like Limsa's, it will get you enough coin to buy one.

Londa

Banned
DrForester said:

FFXIV Core will have a interview with SE about guild housing and player housing. They have ask users on their site to give them questions to ask SE. This interview will take place some times around Sept 3-7. I can look for the offical announcement if you like.

Jinko

Khrno said:
Catch? A little fluffy flying ball? After they saved your life? Well, fuck you.

And it was awesome too, although I don't like their design much they seem a bit on the fat side.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
And it was awesome too, although I don't like their design much they seem a bit on the fat side.

Moogles have always been fat. I always want to hug them. They reminds me of Crystal Chronical moogles. :)

edit:
Those moogles are cuter than I expected. Look at their tiny legs :lol
Its also funny how Khron's character looks so heavy but the moogles are able to make him float.

Bah, took me hour to copy directory with patches to new one and servers went offline during that time Q__Q

Hopefully everything will be fixed.

Anyhow, what's this about Ul'dah and Gridania, are they servers or cities or what? Character creation was strange, some stuff didn't work, I didn't get the moon stuff or which city to get in at the end, will try them all I guess.
But in game was even stranger, no help to what's what, how to play, how to access stuff etc hmm. I guess I'll read guide on dev website while waiting.

Khrno

Londa said:
Moogles have always been fat. I always want to hug them. They reminds me of Crystal Chronical moogles. :)

edit:
Those moogles are cuter than I expected. Look at their tiny legs :lol
Its also funny how Khron's character looks so heavy but the moogles are able to make him float.

The moogles just scream: "Buy my plushie! BUY MY PLUSHIEEEE!!!"

And yeah, that's what I've been reduced to, all for 18 STR. Hate the face too.

Anyhow, what's this about Ul'dah and Gridania, are they servers or cities or what?

They are the starting cities, together with Limsa Lominsa, you get to choose that as the final step during character creation right before entering the game. Server is chosen right before that.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. SE is so full of fail that it can't even send an email properly. Nor can they send an email to a new email address properly.

CAW

From the beta test forums. No ETA. :(

We are currently experiencing technical difficulties where users are unable to log into the game due to server issue.

To conduct an investigation and address this matter, we will be performing emergency maintenance starting at the following time. However the maintenance completion time is undetermined at the moment. New updates will follow as additional information becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing.

[Date & Time]
From Sep. 2, 2010 at 7:00 (PDT)

[Affected Services]
FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test

Patch server is up though: http://www.ffxiv-status.com/

Canti

Nice pics Khrno! Couple I took earlier before everything went down (I'm yet to do my first leve, crashed twice during two of them then the server went down :lol )

Jinko

Patch server is up.

And yeah, that's what I've been reduced to, all for 18 STR. Hate the face too.

You do realise it will make no difference in the long run as you distribte your points anyway.

3-4 points in STR won't break a character.

DrDogg

I can get past the "checking version" screen, but now it gives me the server error when the game starts. At least now it only kicks me back to the "Start/Quit" screen instead of closing the game. Much easier to spam now... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom