• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Kyoufu said:
Shit doesn't work. I'm confused. :/

Put the ffxiv-beta folder inside this:

C:\Users\youruser\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV Beta Version\downloads

Jinko said:
Open the menu.. you will have the option to mine aslong as you have the correct tools equpped.

Ah so yeah I figured I'd have to buy an item or something. Thanks will look into it when I get back on.

Teknoman

Robobandit said:
Anyone else using an ATI card just getting horrible performance?

a ton of framerate drops.. into the teens and lower..

any tips would be appreciated.

I read that there were performance issues for some ATI users.. but never saw anything additional about it.

I've borrowed a friends account, so I didn't want to post on the official forums.

On Emperor, there was a big discussion going on about ATI performance. Nvidia card users werent experiences many issues (some were, but from outdated cards). Mostly ATI complained about really low framerates in certain areas (in town, near certain camps outside, near certain desolate areas outside). I will say the framerate stayed a steady 30 fps most of the time further out near Cedarwood and that Bay place.

Also everyone needs to level up, snag new equipment, venture out towards Cedarwood, and fight some of those Gargantuan Efts (really big ass salamanders) and Storm Blasts (Drakes).

Oh and 360 gamepad vibration works fine now.

EDIT: Damn the monster placement is nice in La Noscea, just for the simple fact that there are lots of caves, ponds, and normal areas with fairly normal looking monsters, then right around the corner crazy FF style stuff right off the bat.

Really huge compared to running around Gustaburg :lol

chris-013 said:
Omg the gameplay is awful with the keyboard/mouse. :/

Yeah I plugged in my 360 pad after about 2 minutes of messing with the Keyboard/Mouse and haven't looked back. Plays so much better.

gillty

Banned
chris-013 said:
Omg the gameplay is awful with the keyboard/mouse. :/
I will try ps3 pad + HDTV after the break...
Its not keyboard/mouse because the mouse is useless.

They did however nerf the keyboard when they took away the arrow key camera movement.

Gromph

Staff Member
MiloFoxburr said:
Yeah I plugged in my 360 pad after about 2 minutes of messing with the Keyboard/Mouse and haven't looked back. Plays so much better.

Yeah i'm playing with pad too.

Anyway We should decide a beta server and try to land everyone there. So we can play together.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Beta impressions:

Um, I'm not going to play this anymore until everything gets fixed (yes, I am aware it will take until full game).

If you got in the server Golbez, you're fucked. It's one of the most populated servers out there and it is completely unplayable in every way and situation.

Also, playing the game with WASD? Navigating menus will suck ass.
Playing the game with numlock FFXI-style? Navigating battles will suck ass.

Make the controls exactly like FFXI and you should be good Square. That means the arrows should change camera so that people won't feel stupid playing with numlock.

Hitbox on everything is awkwardly wrong. Either it's too small or it's too big. Trying to find one person near the crystal so that I can invite him is more pain than it should be.

/cm X needs to come back, so should auto-translate.

Why is the mouse running at 5 fps? Make it at least 30...

Graphics are excellent. So is music. Full game will rock.

I'm on Shadowlord but I don't have much issue rerolling onto another server if a GAF Majority picks one.

-edit- Shadowlord is fairly quiet I've found. I've had no issues doing quests.

Gromph

Staff Member
MiloFoxburr said:
I'm on Shadowlord but I don't have much issue rerolling onto another server if a GAF Majority picks one.

-edit- Shadowlord is fairly quiet I've found. I've had no issues doing quests.

Im shadowlord too.. :D (Gromph Beta) deleted my old char :p

Jinko

NarcissisticJay said:
on Exdeath.. anyone else?

Am on exdeath
character name is Kaylia Yaji

Ok guna try and make a character on Shadowlord.

You can find out what server you are on, between the name and starting region, you have to use a memory editor though.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
On Emperor, there was a big discussion going on about ATI performance. Nvidia card users werent experiences many issues (some were, but from outdated cards). Mostly ATI complained about really low framerates in certain areas (in town, near certain camps outside, near certain desolate areas outside). I will say the framerate stayed a steady 30 fps most of the time further out near Cedarwood and that Bay place.

If its not too much of a pain, can you post what cards people were having issues with? Im so paranoid about my 5850. I think I want to get in the beta more to see how well it runs more than I want to actually play it.

Gromph

Staff Member
Druz said:
Keep in mind I'm a computer nerd by trade. Downloaded it and it's still giving me Windows 64 bit compatibility issues.

Check PM

Wes

venison crêpe
Salaadin said:
If its not too much of a pain, can you post what cards people were having issues with? Im so paranoid about my 5850. I think I want to get in the beta more to see how well it runs more than I want to actually play it.

Don't believe you!

daebo

This is freaking killing me. KILLING ME. I'm again on business so I missed the alpha on business and now i'm missing the beginning of beta on business trips.

Has there been ANY talk from square about using the mouse?

Coldsnap

ATI HD 4850 here and I'm getting frame rate issues in town, outside, and around camps. I ventured way off this morning to where no one was and I was getting a smooth 30fps while logging / fighting.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
daebo said:
Has there been ANY talk from square about using the mouse?
It sucks.

Salaadin

Wes said:
Don't believe you!
Quiet you! :D

Coldsnap said:
ATI HD 4850 here and I'm getting frame rate issues in town, outside, and around camps. I ventured way off this morning to where no one was and I was getting a smooth 30fps while logging / fighting.

Hopefully its just beta issues and this doesnt carry into the final release. I dont remember hearing much about ATI issues during last weeks beta test so maybe its just something this time around thats acting goofy. At least SE acknowledged it.

Why cant an interviewer ask about mouse support? Id like to know if SE at least is thinking about it.

daebo

Salaadin said:
Why cant an interviewer ask about mouse support? Id like to know if SE at least is thinking about it.

I know... I don't think I've seen a question about it in an interview or at least SERIOUS questioning about it. They need to be drilled. I'm sure it has mostly to do with console version. DOnt' want to give PC players an edge over ps3 players, but.. whatever. I'm still going to play but i want superior mouse controls.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
daebo said:
I know... I don't think I've seen a question about it in an interview or at least SERIOUS questioning about it. They need to be drilled. I'm sure it has mostly to do with console version. DOnt' want to give PC players an edge over ps3 players, but.. whatever. I'm still going to play but i want superior mouse controls.
eh after playing FFXI I am so use to not using a mouse and I imagine its gonna be the same here. Keyboard only ftw

gillty

Banned
I have resorted to using a key remapping program to map the arrow keys to IJKL for camera controls. Bit of a hassle because I need to log on and off to reset back to defaults after done playing but it will work for now.

desa

Lala Hehe on shadowlord. Wish there were more quests. Seems like you can't repeat guildleves anymore so money is hard to come by and mobs don't drop any.

Did anyone get random treasure chests while doing guildleves?

desu

Yoshichan said:
It sucks.

Honestly, I havent played an MMORPG for some time. But man, the keyboard/mouse controls are the most horrible thing I have experienced in years. After playing the game for 1,5h I stopped because I didnt want to play anymore because of the horrible controls.

LowParry

Salaadin said:

I'm using a 5850 Sapphire Toxic card. If you look back at my screenshots and the couple of movies I posted, the game looks great (and those shots were with AAx1. AAx4 looks much better). How it runs? Varies. In the city it sucks hard. Goes from 30 to 1 fps all over the place. Outside of the city when you're near the hubs with crowded folk, it stutters all around. Once away, a solid 30fps. When you get to do instances within the city, 30fps. So again, it varies. The card can handle the game perfectly and will once the client gets more optimized.

How about your CPU? What you using?

notworksafe said:
I guess SQE is going for the ultra-casual market. Old people who don't even own mice with their computers!

I've rarely used the mouse myself. Only time I've used it was for the drop down menu for my abilities to place on my bar. Numpad works great though I'd like for a few things changed on it with a key mapper but have to see if SE will do that. If not, it's that big of a deal. Just have to adapt.

Salaadin

Valru said:
Limited control schemes FTL.

Exactly.
If the PS3 is the reason, why not patch it in there. If UT3 could have KB/M support on PS3, Im sure FFXIV can. Give both platforms both options.

CcrooK said:
I'm using a 5850 Sapphire Toxic card. If you look back at my screenshots and the couple of movies I posted, the game looks great. How it runs? Varies. In the city it sucks hard. Goes from 30 to 1 fps all over the place. Outside of the city when you're near the hubs with crowded folk, it stutters all around. Once away, a solid 30fps. When you get to do instances within the city, 30fps. So again, it varies. The card can handle the game perfectly and will once the client gets more optimized.

Thanks for the info.

Im on a Sapphire Radeon 5850 as well but not the Toxic edition. Im also running an Intel i5 750 CPU and 4GBs of DDR3 RAM. Everything is running at stock speeds.

Duran

I thought I would have been the only one who hates the k/m setup. But really it is terrible.
The pointer moves ridiculously slow and changing the camera is difficult. I'll try a PS3 controller when beta is up again in 2 hours.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Salaadin said:
Exactly.
If the PS3 is the reason, why not patch it in there. If UT3 could have KB/M support on PS3, Im sure FFXIV can. Give both platforms both options.
I would imagine PS3 version does. At least it did on FFXI

Would anyone be kind enough to either post some screenshots or a 10 second video scrolling through the available female Lala hairstyles?

Teknoman

Salaadin said:

Coldsnap said:

CcrooK said:
I'm using a 5850 Sapphire Toxic card. If you look back at my screenshots and the couple of movies I posted, the game looks great (and those shots were with AAx1. AAx4 looks much better). How it runs? Varies. In the city it sucks hard. Goes from 30 to 1 fps all over the place. Outside of the city when you're near the hubs with crowded folk, it stutters all around. Once away, a solid 30fps. When you get to do instances within the city, 30fps. So again, it varies. The card can handle the game perfectly and will once the client gets more optimized.

I've rarely used the mouse myself. Only time I've used it was for the drop down menu for my abilities to place on my bar. Numpad works great though I'd like for a few things changed on it with a key mapper but have to see if SE will do that. If not, it's that big of a deal. Just have to adapt.

Yup some of the players had 5870s I believe (im on a 4870) and the same performance changes occurred for both of us.

Incredibly smooth in instances/ far away from town, near even 1 or 2 people in town or at a camp? All over the place.

People with Nvidia cards said they didnt experience framerate changes that bad...and it is in the beta notes, so hopefully thats fixed soon. Everyone experience the Radeon issue should report it as soon as possible on the beta forums.

MomoPufflet said:
Would anyone be kind enough to either post some screenshots or a 10 second video scrolling through the available female Lala hairstyles?

If no one else does it, i'll try during todays second test.

LowParry

MomoPufflet said:

I could do that Thursday evening. Unless Tek beats me to it.

notworksafe

Salaadin said:
Exactly.
Give addons/mods to the PS3 as well! UT3 allowed it as well!

LaneDS

My biggest issue presently is the seeming lack of content. You've got Treasures of the Main, which is pretty cool and takes a while, and then you've got... nothing? Levequests are all very similar (kill X mobs at Bearded Rock or chop Y amount of trees, or slightly harder but entirely similar missions at Skull Rock) and you can only do them every two days? Most of the mobs populating the zone are either really easy (Wharf Rats) or really hard, and even with the faster combat system combat pretty much is just spamming one or two abilities endlessly (my Pugilist has four to choose from presently).

I know it's beta, but the fact they're content to just launch this in two months is mind boggling to me. There's just not enough game here yet, assuming that the beta is reflective of what we can expect for this area.

Salaadin

LaneDS said:
My biggest issue presently is the seeming lack of content. You've got Treasures of the Main, which is pretty cool and takes a while, and then you've got... nothing? Levequests are all very similar (kill X mobs at Bearded Rock or chop Y amount of trees, or slightly harder but entirely similar missions at Skull Rock) and you can only do them every two days? Most of the mobs populating the zone are either really easy (Wharf Rats) or really hard, and even with the faster combat system combat pretty much is just spamming one or two abilities endlessly (my Pugilist has four to choose from presently).

I know it's beta, but the fact they're content to just launch this in two months is mind boggling to me. There's just not enough game here yet, assuming that the beta is reflective of what we can expect for this area.

From my understanding, more content is added with each phase. For all we know, they have everything complete and are just updating it week by week until 9/22 when the full game hits.

For those with ATI cards and having some issues, are you guys running the latest Catalyst 10.6 drivers? I know of a few people who had to roll back to 10.5 after having issues with other games. Maybe FFXIV is one of those games.

LowParry

Salaadin said:
For those with ATI cards and having some issues, are you guys running the latest Catalyst 10.6 drivers? I know of a few people who had to roll back to 10.5 after having issues with other games. Maybe FFXIV is one of those games.

Running 10.6 = All my games work the way they should. BC2, DoWII, SC2, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom