• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

desu

LaneDS said:
My biggest issue presently is the seeming lack of content. You've got Treasures of the Main, which is pretty cool and takes a while, and then you've got... nothing? Levequests are all very similar (kill X mobs at Bearded Rock or chop Y amount of trees, or slightly harder but entirely similar missions at Skull Rock) and you can only do them every two days? Most of the mobs populating the zone are either really easy (Wharf Rats) or really hard, and even with the faster combat system combat pretty much is just spamming one or two abilities endlessly (my Pugilist has four to choose from presently).

I know it's beta, but the fact they're content to just launch this in two months is mind boggling to me. There's just not enough game here yet, assuming that the beta is reflective of what we can expect for this area.

That was my impression too, combined with the fact that the starting area was totally overloaded and it could easily take 5+min to find a single monster you can kill.

Salaadin

Theres a THREAD HERE regarding ATI card issues. I dont know if you guys want to try rolling back to 10.5 or anything. If everything else is fine, Im not sure youre affected since the people in that thread are having issues with a lot of games.

LowParry

Oh yeah, completely forgot. Did this happen to anyone?

23sgewj.jpg

Teknoman

desu said:
That was my impression too, combined with the fact that the starting area was totally overloaded and it could easily take 5+min to find a single monster you can kill.

Not really, at least on Emperor. Sure the area nearest to the Aetheryte was packed, but all the small caves with fireflies and bats, areas further out to the west, east, and south east had a decent amount of rats, puks, and so on.

I want to try a party guildleve at some point, and get together to take out a drake or eft.

chris-013

Pai Pai Master said:
No one on Garland!? ;_;

Yes, I'm on garland.

Ok Ps3 pad configured, now I can't full screen on my HDTV... anyway windows mode is better because alt+tab exit the client...

On my LCD in 1680x1050, my card was at 90-95°C not sure if normal...
Edit : Hum this was with 8xAA I need to try with 4xAA.

chris-013

That was a pain to configure because win7 doesn't like unsigned drivers...
I use a ps3 pad but the program emulate a xbox360 pad. :lol

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
Can you join a guildleve after you've done your own though?

You should be able to, but i've only messed around with things like, adding a completed leve result to a new guildleve quest. Supposed to boost the rewards a little, and I guess if you take out a high difficulty quest, it'll make the next quest give more items/gil.

But I still need a party, so I can up the difficulty level and test it out.

Oh and main menu for things like elevators and aetheryte does seem to work better than targeting would.

Jinko

I tried the keyboard and mouse for like 40 seconds and then plugged in my 360 controller.

It's crazy how much easier it is on a controller. (this is coming from someone who hated gamepad on FF11 aswell :lol )

LowParry

chris-013 said:
That was a pain to configure because win7 doesn't like unsigned drivers...
I use a ps3 pad but the program emulate a xbox360 pad. :lol

You using Xpadder?

Teknoman said:
But I still need a party, so I can up the difficulty level and test it out.

Well you won't get a PT going cause no one will talk to you. I tried to get /whispers in to see how it worked and no one would talk back.

Jinko

CcrooK said:
Well you won't get a PT going cause no one will talk to you. I tried to get /whispers in to see how it worked and no one would talk back.

I whisphered Gromph and even he ignored me ... lol

I think for a lot of people its too much hassle to type 2 names, being able to click on a name to reply would be nice aswell.

Duran

Corum said:
What are the beta play times? I managed to squeeze in an hour before the servers closed.

It's on the website.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (PDT)
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 3:00 p.m. - Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)

Thursday, July 15, 2010 – 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. - Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

* Testers from all regions may log in during the above times.

* The beta tests scheduled for Saturday, July 17 and Sunday, July 18 have been cancelled due to network maintenance. Subsequent dates and times will be posted at a later date.

Salaadin

Jinko said:

I think for a lot of people its too much hassle to type 2 names, being able to click on a name to reply would be nice aswell.

Werent they supposed to incorporate a way to make it easier to talk to people even though everyone has 2 names?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:

Sorry m8 I didn't saw any whisper in game :(

Corum

Duran said:
It's on the website.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 - 3:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (PDT)
Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 3:00 p.m. - Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)

Thursday, July 15, 2010 – 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PDT)
Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. - Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

* Testers from all regions may log in during the above times.

* The beta tests scheduled for Saturday, July 17 and Sunday, July 18 have been cancelled due to network maintenance. Subsequent dates and times will be posted at a later date.

Thanks, so it should be up again soon.

LaneDS

The difficulty selection seems to do next to nothing at this point. I was doing levequests at Bearded Rock at the max level (five stars, Legion, I believe) and I think my difficulty bonus was 10 gil. Granted, these are the starting quests, but I can't tell if it's implemented or not. Also, the difficulty jumps up rapidly from those quests to the Skull Rock levequests, which required killing a few mobs, then chasing the last one to find that more have spawned (and also need killing). Due to the balancing of things, you pretty much have to disengage and wait for your health to return before fighting the second set.

The experience, so far, is just not very compelling. You'd think (or at least hope) that after years of experience from XI and a very different set of expectations for what an MMO should be that they'd create something more compelling, but as of right now that seems pretty questionable as to whether or not they've succeeded.

I know I sound overly negative, but I want to note that (a) I want this game to be awesome and (b) I know it's beta. However, it's beta with a launch date already announced as two months from now. Since Square is not very vocal about their design decisions, we're left to wonder if they're just withholding things from the beta or if the fundamental game experience is as half-baked as it currently appears to be.

Kyoufu

Thanks to Gromph for not only uploading the patches but also helping me fix the issues I was having with them. I'm roaring to go on next schedule start (in an hour).

Jinko

Salaadin said:
Werent they supposed to incorporate a way to make it easier to talk to people even though everyone has 2 names?

Supposedly yea, but I can't help but feel its guna fail, its like saying hey pete come here in a room full of people called peter.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
The difficulty selection seems to do next to nothing at this point. I was doing levequests at Bearded Rock at the max level (five stars, Legion, I believe) and I think my difficulty bonus was 10 gil. Granted, these are the starting quests, but I can't tell if it's implemented or not. Also, the difficulty jumps up rapidly from those quests to the Skull Rock levequests, which required killing a few mobs, then chasing the last one to find that more have spawned (and also need killing). Due to the balancing of things, you pretty much have to disengage and wait for your health to return before fighting the second set.

The experience, so far, is just not very compelling. You'd think (or at least hope) that after years of experience from XI and a very different set of expectations for what an MMO should be that they'd create something more compelling, but as of right now that seems pretty questionable as to whether or not they've succeeded.

I know I sound overly negative, but I want to note that (a) I want this game to be awesome and (b) I know it's beta. However, it's beta with a launch date already announced as two months from now. Since Square is not very vocal about their design decisions, we're left to wonder if they're just withholding things from the beta or if the fundamental game experience is as half-baked as it currently appears to be.

I think the rewards also factor in when turning a guildleve towards another leve. As far as the battle system goes, its also about attacking enemies from different directions if you can.

notworksafe

Jinko said:
Supposedly yea, but I can't help but feel its guna fail, its like saying hey pete come here in a room full of people called peter.
Incorrect! No one will copy my unique name of Cloud Sephiroth!

Jinko

Personally I think they should make guildleves repeatable every 1-2 hours, but make it so that you only recieve one reward from each of them a day.

That way people don't have to worry about finding spawns and SE don't need to worry about RMT's taking advantage of the guildleves.

Salaadin

Jinko said:

:lol
vnczud.jpg

Well I hope they come up with something decent. They have to. Its an MMO, we need to communicate :D

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
I think the rewards also factor in when turning a guildleve towards another leve. As far as the battle system goes, its also about attacking enemies from different directions if you can.

I don't have too many problems with the battle system, and it's a lot better than the alpha certainly, but it's more the lack of content that is worrisome.

The starting zone is huuuuuge... and looks almost entirely identical with some different mobs sprinkled around for seemingly no reason at all. Anything of note on the map, like a tower or building, is barren, and there's just nothing to do except pick a spot on the map and hope against all odds that there's something interesting there.

So far as I can tell there's the starting zone (which I can't even tell you the name of because of the moon language font they use on all the maps) and then Cassiopea Hollow or something like that, where you'll pretty much just get one shot by the first bat you get close to.

I really do hate being sour on it, but I think that's the point of beta. At least normally, before a company announces they're shipping the product before beta even starts. I'm not sure what the beta is for now, other than to generate bad PR.

Jinko

They need to get rid of those sheep aswell nobody is going to even try them at low level, they need to be moved, replaced or nerfed.

The starting area is plenty big enough it's just full of crappy overpowered mobs like dodo's and sheeps.

Teknoman

lol yeah the map language is a little much, but they tell you the name on the top left (La Noscea). You think sheep and dodos are overpowered, check these guys out:

2u3zmmg.png

2jbpibm.png

Its cool that items actually have normal FF prices and are available at normal shops this time around.

1zqr7kp.png

33ek8qd.png

desu

Honestly, couldn't agree more with LaneDS, I know that I have barely tried the beta so far, but its exactly what my impression is of the game right now.

They're still focused on controls and UI, man. That's what they want feedback on right now. Beta is not nearly content complete.

Also, if you're doing any melee class, I'd recommend taking your Pugilist to Rank 6 first so you can get Second Wind.

Makes soloing MUCH easier.

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:
They're still focused on controls and UI, man. That's what they want feedback on right now. Beta is not nearly content complete.

Also, if you're doing any melee class, I'd recommend taking your Pugilist to Rank 6 first so you can get Second Wind.

Makes soloing MUCH easier.

Where would you get Pugilist weapons anyway? All I could find were lances, swords, and shields. Not sure where to get mid level armor either, aside from those tassets or whatever.

Teknoman said:
Where would you get Pugilist weapons anyway? All I could find were lances, swords, and shields. Not sure where to get mid level armor either, aside from those tassets or whatever.

In West Hawker's alley, there's a Rogaedyn who sells them.

Armor I'm not sure...Thundersquall's Thundersticks used to sell a ton of shit in Alpha but it seems they've rearranged the shops quite a bit.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Haha, I like this little avatar fad going on :lol

Teknoman

Pai Pai Master said:

Armor I'm not sure...Thundersquall's Thundersticks used to sell a ton of shit in Alpha but it seems they've rearranged the shops quite a bit.

They just sell a bunch of shields and I guess two leg armor pieces. Havent been to the alley though.

Londa

Banned
Does the beta client have a screenshot thing enabled like FFXI or do you have to download a program to screenshot the game? If so can someone point me to this program so I can download it?

Munba

Pai Pai Master said:

I couldn't find a rod (thaumaturge) or a staff (conjurer) to buy. Anyone?

Jinko

Londa said:
Does the beta client have a screenshot thing enabled like FFXI or do you have to download a program to screenshot the game? If so can someone point me to this program so I can download it?

I think most of us are using frap, you can get a free version which you can take screens with.

Munba said:
I couldn't find a rod (thaumaturge) or a staff (conjurer) to buy. Anyone?

You can get in East Hawker's alley I believe, first thing I did after completing my leves was look at all the NPC's in east and west Hawkers and bought up as many weapons as I could.

hgplayer1

I guess tonight I'll try to level up a little more.

My physical level rose at least once but I didnt even know it.

By the way Tek those Efts dont aggro nor do the giant crabs or gobbues. Theres some undead in a cave that do though.

I might try making 2nd and 3rd characters to roll on one of the other servers.

The game doesnt run great on my PC but Im tryin a couple changes later to see if it helps.

Yeah, you can buy the tools/weapons for almost every class in Hawker's Alley. Just gotta talk to each vendor and figure out who sells what.

I'm gonna try re-rolling as well...what server so far has the most of us on it? I just can't stand soloing after level 5...so hopefully a few of us can get together for partying.

I've got one character on Gabranth and one on Garland.

Teknoman

Londa said:

I've been using fraps for full screenshots.

fms6f9.png

dh1s1.png

2zpqb7q.png

5d6j36.png

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Londa said:
FRAPs or any sort of screen grabber program should work

gillty

Banned
Pai Pai Master said:
Yeah, you can buy the tools/weapons for almost every class in Hawker's Alley. Just gotta talk to each vendor and figure out who sells what.

I'm gonna try re-rolling as well...what server so far has the most of us on it? I just can't stand soloing after level 5...so hopefully a few of us can get together for partying.
shadowlord seems to be the most prevalent

whats everyones thoughts on the market/retainer system?

So far it seems pretty lame having all these instanced areas, which imo made everything feel very disorganized. Have they mentioned an auction house proper?

Jinko

Pai Pai Master said:

I think at least 3 of us are on Shadowlord, it took me about 15 tries to get on the right server and I was using the memory editor on the OP.

If you know how to use it, it will save you having to sit through the cutscene.

All you need to do is have it open when you make your name select next and then look for the name you just created in the memory editor, it will bring up several options you will need to select each one and then switch to edit memory, if you selected the correct one it will tell you which server its been assigned.

If its the wrong server, click previous, change the name and then click next, rinse and repeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom