• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

Ferrio said:
So I gave up playing, even with a top of the line system it runes horrible. It looks pretty but soon as I start to move forward it stutters like crazy. That along with the wonky UI makes it infuriating to even try.

Also I couldn't figure out at all how to use miner, or lay of the land. I would of kept at it.. but like I said the game stuttering like that on a high end system even with stuff turned down made me lose patience.
If you want I'd gladly use your account until you decide you want back in (or I get my own access) :)

desa

anyone on shadowlord wanna party and do whatever? Camp skully guildleves?

Send me a message - Lala Hehe. I'm gonna go fullscreen so I can't check the message boards.

hgplayer1

So I ended up playing most of the day since I was home sick.

Never had any real problems with logging in. Got stuck in a que a couple times but never waited more than like 10 mins. Once i just left it at the screen and in a minute or two it was starting the game. The other time I cancelled the que and tried again immediately and it worked.

My PC ran the game pretty poorly initially which I was expecting but during the 2nd testing period today it ran noticeably better. Maybe I was just used to the lag at that point? I dunno.

Had a few issues including getting stuck in active mode and not being able to go passive. I also couldnt attack anything during that time. It cost me the completion of some easy leves early on.

I was trying a couple changes in resolution and when I went back to 1280x720 I couldnt see my mini map, HP/MP/TP bar, network status, enemy status bar, and the chat window was barely visible. Had to switch back to a higher res to move them all back to the extreme center of the screen so I would be able to move them when I went back to the lower res.

Aside from those things I had no real problems with the game. Lag was somewhat expected during the beta. I dont like the running animation too much and my controller sticks a little in the forward position so sometimes I keep moving when I mean to stop.

I hope targeting gets refined to some degree. Doing emotes is ridiculous. They must want people doing less emotes or something. I didnt play with the filters too much other than to turn them all on at one point. NPCs turn that little chat box into a wall of text at times. I wish there was a option like in FFXI to full screen the chat box quickly.

During the 2nd testing period tonight some of us GAF folks got in a party and it went about as well as GAF parties go :lol . Sorry guys, you did help me find some of the main quest NPCs that I hadnt talked to before but other than that it was pretty much, "lets do this, no lets do this, disband, regroup". :lol I had to grab something to eat right around that disband so i just came back later.

Did some mining and gathering for the leves and it was ok. not extremely boring like I find most crafts. I didnt do a whole lot of phyical leveling so I plan to do that Thurs. Thats probably better suited for parties so if you guys want to give it a shot Im game.

My PC is

Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33 Ghz
4 Gig RAM
8600 GT 256 RAM (I know I was shocked too)

Ive been looking at throwing a Core 2 Quad in there but am wondering if I should try a 1Gig video card first? CPU replacement looks like more of a pain in the ass than Im willing to try and is more expensive than a video card.

Teknoman

Give me a shout kefka server players.

Also the city is really easy to navigate if you run with the map on at times. Everything is usually on the lower floors. Also for some odd reason the game performs really well in certain areas and others...not so much.

Hopefully it gets fixed by thursday or through the weekend maintenance, because when everything is at constant 30 fps, its great.

Dont forget to use lock on as well.

EDIT: People on kefka seem to be more interested with complaining instead of testing out different things and reporting them. At least those around the first camp area :lol

Also some guy ran by me named Kaze Ryu... dont think it was the Ryu though.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
To all having X64 problems, redownload the setup.exe

Also i'm uploading right now the whole Instalation folder updated, so if anyone had not patch and new patch comes out can avoid the 3.5GB file.

Gonna post when it finish upload.

Edit:

Gromph Beta - Shadowlord :)

Sweet! I took me a while, but I finally figured out how to add new skills. Yesterday I was thinking of canceling my pre-order, but now I'm loving it.

expy

Banned
Tried running the installer, after setting up the first [hase, I have to double click the icon on the desktop to run the "downloader", however, it just hangs once it loads and crashes out. Windows 7 x64.

Kuraine

Neo Member
Well, that was awesome :D I played for about 5 hours total today. Got through all the available Bearded Rock leves and completed the story missions for Baderon. Stopped at ~Rank 4 Pugilist, Physical Level 9.

Managed to get some pretty nifty screenshots as well! Some of these are "duplicates" from cutscenes, but I tried to take 'em without UI getting in the way.

xiv-cobbiemotions.jpg

xiv-cloudscape.jpg

xiv-ohshitram.jpg

xiv-ramrevenge.jpg

xiv-meetingsisipu.jpg

xiv-depthofdeath.jpg

xiv-hearmeroar.jpg

xiv-pirateman.jpg

Ravidrath

The mob distro in La Noscea is pretty terrible... takes FOREVER to graduate from Rats and Beetles to anything else, and by that point you kind of need to start partying.

The checking dots are completely fucked, too... I teamed up with someone and was killing Puk Hatchlings with Blue Dots, and it was close. Walk over a bit and see some Aldgoat Nannies w/ Blue Dots... and they completely destroyed us.

With this many mob types in the zone, I wonder how high they expect us to go in the starting zones? Or maybe the zones are designed to last much, much longer than in XI? I went to the Cedarwood Gate, and there was a Behest there... asking for Rank 30 to 40.

Also makes me wonder what the Rank cap will be...

Teknoman

Man that instance with Sisipu was great as far as performance goes. 100% smooth sailing. Same for getting closer to the second camp outside the instance.

Also I dont know about you guys/girls, but after seeing how the game looks with a steady framerate...I could live with PS3 limitations for awhile :lol Also dynamic guildleve battle music ftw.

Someone seriously needs to report the active mode freeze bug (stuck in active and cant attack) asap. Also keep hammering on the Radeon/ all around performance near town issues. And the fact that the new party recruitment/search system shouldnt be so complicated. Looks helpful, but no one really knows how to use it, same for loot drops.

Guildleve rewards seem to be random.

2morxj8.png

x2rsow.png

15x76di.png

2vvuck7.png

w15mix.png

10450rb.png

24mhkef.png

2danafk.jpg

34xs84m.png

atq59k.png

No random server nonsense at launch:

courtesy of FFXIV core:

Question 2 asks if players will be able to select the same server at launch

* Tanaka says FFXIV allows you to choose your server at character selection. You can tell your friend to pick the same server. He notes it is always better to choose a server that is not crowded.

EDIT: Oh, does anyone know where to find some lower level armor/ weapons before double digit ranks? The low guildleves seem to randomly reward you with armor, but i'd think there would be a place to buy some. Also whats up with none of the guild members knowing any recipies? Tried to do some smithing but I have no idea what to make.

Teknoman said:
Also whats up with none of the guild members knowing any recipies? Tried to do some smithing but I have no idea what to make.
Apparently, that's by design (or at least that's the impression I got from reading the beta forums). They want to promote a trial-and-error approach. I also found a list of smithing recipes (beta login required).

LowParry

Teknoman said:
EDIT: Oh, does anyone know where to find some lower level armor/ weapons before double digit ranks? The low guildleves seem to randomly reward you with armor, but i'd think there would be a place to buy some. Also whats up with none of the guild members knowing any recipies? Tried to do some smithing but I have no idea what to make.

I think it's safe to say for now that that armor we have is not starting armor? But weapons are in that Thunderwhatever place. Sadly the plate armor vendor isn't open (by the looks of it) though there is an NPC with the plate armor in the Wench.

chris-013

nickcv said:
i'm not playing yet, but what's the difference between a guildleve and a normal quest?

Guildleves are normal quests.

I crashed on the last part of the main quest and when I logged back, I got the reward but now I will never know the end of the story. ; ;

The game have a lot of problems but I can play if the story continue like that. ^^

Gromph

Staff Member
Check this ones.

blacksmith said:
* Nuggets (x6)
[x6]
[HQ = Yes]
[Copper(?), Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

1x Fire Crystal
4x * Ore (3x = Bronze)
1x Tin Ore (Bronze Only)

* Ingot
[HQ = ?]
[Copper(?), Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

2 x Fire Crystal
4 x * Nugget

parts said:
File Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

2x Wind Crystal
2x * Ingot

Pommel
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

1x Water Crystal
1x * Ingot
1x * Nugget

Cross-Pein Hammer Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

2x Earth Crystal
2x * Ingot
1x * Nugget

Birdsbeak Hammer Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

?x ?Crystal
2x * Ingot
2x * Nugget

Spearhead
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

2x Lightning Crystal
3x * Ingot
1x * Nugget

Spear Clasp
[High Quality = Yes]
[Bronze(?)]

1 x Water Crystal
3 x * Nugget

Spear Butt
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

1x Water Crystal
1x * Ingot
3x * Nugget

Axe Ferrute
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
2x * Nugget

Spatha Blade
[High Quality = Yes]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

2x Wind Crystal
3x * Ingot

Knapping Hammer Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

2x Earth Crystal
3x * Ingot
2x * Nugget

Hammer Butt
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

1x Water Crystal
1x * Ingot

Pickaxe Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

2x Earth Crystal
2x * Ingot
3x * Nugget

War Axe Head
[High Quality = Yes]
[Bronze(?)]

2x Wind Crystal
3x * Ingot
3x * Nugget

Axe Butt
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

1x Water Crystal
1x * Ingot
2x * Nugget

Labrys Head
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

2x Wind Crystal
4x * Ingot
1x Iron Sand (Iron Only)

Feather Clasp
[High Quality = ?]
[Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x * Nugget
1x Iron Sand

Baghnakh Talon
[High Quality = ?]
[Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
2 x * Ingot
2 x Iron Sand

CrossGuard
[High Quality = Yes]
[Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x * Ingot
1x Iron Sand

Baghnakh Frame
[High Quality = Yes]
[Iron(?)]
?x ?Crystal
3x * Nugget

weapons said:
Pickaxe
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x Pickaxe Head (*)
1x Pickaxe Shaft (Maple)
1x Grip Wrapping (Undyed Hempen Cloth)

* Spear
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x Spearhead (*)
1x Spear Clasp (*)
1x Spear Shaft (Maple)
1x Spear Butt (*)

Decorated * Spear
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x * Spear
1x Spear Clasp (*)
1x Spear Butt (*)

* Cross-pein Hammer
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

1x Ice Crystal
1x Cross-pein Hammer Head (*)
1x Hammer Grip (Walnut = Bronze)(Elm = Iron)
1x Grip Wrapping (Undyed Hempen Cloth)

Birdsbeak Hammer
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x Birdsbeak Hammer Head (*)
1x Hammer Grip (Ash)
1x Grip Wrapping (Undyed Canvas)

Baghnakhs
[High Quality = ?]
[Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
3x Baghnakh Talon (*)
1x Baghnakh Frame (*)
1x Baghnakh Handle (Elm)

War Axe
[High Quality = ?]
[Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x War Axe Head (*)
1x Axe Haft (Elm)
1x Axe Ferrule (*)
1x Axe Butt (*)
1x Grip Wrapping (Soot-Black Buffalo Leather)

* Labrys
[High Quality = ?]
[Bronze(?), Iron(?)]

?x ?Crystal
1x Labrys Head (*)
1x Axe Haft (Ash = Bronze)(Elm = Iron)
1x Axe Ferrule (*)
1x Axe Butt (*)
1x Grip Wrapping (Red Ochre Buffalo Leather = Bronze )(Uncolored Buffalo Leather = Iron)

Gromph

Staff Member
Salaadin said:
Is this any different from the two other files I grabbed from the OP?

It's the installation folder inside C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files in 32 bits.

Also patched with the last update, so if they release another small one and you didn't update you don't need the 3.5GB file

Salaadin

Gromph said:
It's the installation folder inside C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files in 32 bits.

Also patched with the last update, so if they release another small one and you didn't update you don't need the 3.5GB file
Ahhhh ok. I'm all installed and updated with the 3.5gb file. I thought that was an even newer update. Thanks

Gromph

Staff Member
Atributes and Elemental Resistances explain:

Attributes
STRength determines physical attack power.
VITality determines physical defense.
DEXterity determines attack accuracy.
INTelligence determines magical attack power.
MiND determines magical defense.
PIEty determines magical accuracy.

Elements
Fire melts ice, but is extinguished by wind.
Ice obstructs wind, but is melted by fire.
Wind extinguishes fire, but is obstructed by ice.
Earth grounds lightning, but is eroded by water.
Lightning boils water, but is grounded by earth.
Water erodes earth, but is boiled by lightning.

Thanks for stats explanation. Is there a character build guide for beginners available anywhere? I'm assuming XIV's system is similar to its predecessor's.

Zalasta

Gromph said:
Elements

So rather than the 6 elements interacting directly with each other, it's more like 2 groups of 3?

Londa

Banned
archnemesis said:
Thanks for stats explanation. Is there a character build guide for beginners available anywhere? I'm assuming XIV's system is similar to its predecessor's.

No, Maybe when the game is released you could get one of those Brady guides (if Brady makes one like they did for XI) that misinformed everyone who used it lol.

Kinan

Gromph said:
For all who need.

Here is the install folder updated to last version

http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/SquareEnix.rar

God bless ya. :)

I was downloading a previous patch for a few days, but then win7 decided to install some updates and rebooted PC. After restart I found out that new patch is out and i need to download 3.5GB again. /rage

Your install folder should be exactly the solution I was seeking for. :)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So apparently I got into the beta yesterday and just checked my junk e-mail.

Downloading the .rar generously hosted, I'm assuming it unpacks into the July 12th patch?

Anything I should know before jumping in? Can I select a server or no?

archnemesis said:
Thursday, July 15, 2010 – 12:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (GMT)
Friday, July 16, 2010 – 12:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. (GMT)
Thanks

Hazaro said:
So apparently I got into the beta yesterday and just checked my junk e-mail.

Downloading the .rar generously hosted, I'm assuming it unpacks into the July 12th patch?

Anything I should know before jumping in? Can I select a server or no?

No. But you can use a memory editor to see which server ur gonna end up on when creating a character. After several tries you might be able to get into the server you want :lol

Kuraine

Neo Member
chris-013 said:
Someone finished the main quest and can share the end of the story :p ?
I heard, there is a test saturday too ?

The main quest in the beta is basically a bit of a tour around town, with various plot elements from the city introduced at each major location you go to. It's setting up the story for the city-state VS Sahagin beastmen, pirates, and the conspiracy of a faction that is aligning themselves with the Sahagin.

There's no test on Saturday or Sunday, because of server maintenance. My guess is that they'll be preparing to run the servers 24/7 or at least close to it for next week.

Salaadin

Kuraine said:
There's no test on Saturday or Sunday, because of server maintenance. My guess is that they'll be preparing to run the servers 24/7 or at least close to it for next week.

Yeah hopefully thats them fixing any discovered errors from this week and getting ready to expand it even more. Id like to see what happens once the amount of people currently in the beta are able to log on 24/7 whenever they want.

Jinko

Sadly the plate armor vendor isn't open (by the looks of it) though there is an NPC with the plate armor in the Wench.

Hmmm I was looking high and low for Plate armour, trust SE to put in the least likely on places.

Attributes

So I'm guessing for Gladiator you would want mostly Vit and Dex with some Strength yea ?

I have been putting it all in Vit and Str and have been missing a crap load.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Metalmurphy said:
No. But you can use a memory editor to see which server ur gonna end up on when creating a character. After several tries you might be able to get into the server you want :lol
A quick google yields me nothing.
Do you have an address or pointer list?
Does the beta even have cheat protection? Don't want to get banned for using cheatengine to pick a server :lol

Also the mouse doesn't feel right on the menu screen :[

Jinko

Hazaro said:
Also the mouse doesn't feel right on the menu screen :[

SE are using software mouse support by the looks of it, that's why a lot of people are complaining about it being laggy and floaty.

Hopefully by release they will have enabled some form of hardware mouse.

Amneisac

Gromph said:
Atributes and Elemental Resistances explain:

Attributes

Elements

So glad to see they're keeping this mostly the same. Although I don't see Light/Dark in the elements.

Are they also keeping stats like accuracy, attack, evasion, and ranged accuracy and attack? I mean like does it seem like they will be stats that can be directly modified like in FFXI with +ACC gear for example?

desa

Hope the VIT stat is worth a shit this time around :lol

Accuracy is still demanding. I've pumped quite a bit in dex and I'm missing a lot. Especially during weaponskills. I'm guessing evasion is a stat itself and both ranged acc and regular acc are one. Dunno about attack.

Jinko

Amneisac said:
Are they also keeping stats like accuracy, attack, evasion, and ranged accuracy and attack? I mean like does it seem like they will be stats that can be directly modified like in FFXI with +ACC gear for example?

You get Evasion, def and magic def on Armour.
You get Magic Potency, Physiacal Attack and Physical Accuracy on Weapons.
There was a Crit stat in the Alpha but I didn't check the armour/weapons to see if it was still there.

They have upgraded a lot of the stats on gear now so there may be more customisation when it comes to stat allocation.

hgplayer1 said:

Never had any real problems with logging in. Got stuck in a que a couple times but never waited more than like 10 mins. Once i just left it at the screen and in a minute or two it was starting the game. The other time I cancelled the que and tried again immediately and it worked.

My PC ran the game pretty poorly initially which I was expecting but during the 2nd testing period today it ran noticeably better. Maybe I was just used to the lag at that point? I dunno.

Had a few issues including getting stuck in active mode and not being able to go passive. I also couldnt attack anything during that time. It cost me the completion of some easy leves early on.

I was trying a couple changes in resolution and when I went back to 1280x720 I couldnt see my mini map, HP/MP/TP bar, network status, enemy status bar, and the chat window was barely visible. Had to switch back to a higher res to move them all back to the extreme center of the screen so I would be able to move them when I went back to the lower res.

Aside from those things I had no real problems with the game. Lag was somewhat expected during the beta. I dont like the running animation too much and my controller sticks a little in the forward position so sometimes I keep moving when I mean to stop.

I hope targeting gets refined to some degree. Doing emotes is ridiculous. They must want people doing less emotes or something. I didnt play with the filters too much other than to turn them all on at one point. NPCs turn that little chat box into a wall of text at times. I wish there was a option like in FFXI to full screen the chat box quickly.

During the 2nd testing period tonight some of us GAF folks got in a party and it went about as well as GAF parties go :lol . Sorry guys, you did help me find some of the main quest NPCs that I hadnt talked to before but other than that it was pretty much, "lets do this, no lets do this, disband, regroup". :lol I had to grab something to eat right around that disband so i just came back later.

Did some mining and gathering for the leves and it was ok. not extremely boring like I find most crafts. I didnt do a whole lot of phyical leveling so I plan to do that Thurs. Thats probably better suited for parties so if you guys want to give it a shot Im game.

My PC is

4 Gig RAM

Ive been looking at throwing a Core 2 Quad in there but am wondering if I should try a 1Gig video card first? CPU replacement looks like more of a pain in the ass than Im willing to try and is more expensive than a video card.

Try OCing your CPU first. Core 2 duos are easy to OC and you'll get 3.2ghz+ out of that thing easily and in CPU bottlenecked situations performance will scale linearly with clockspeed so its just a non brainer. A cheap second hand Q6600 is another option, and again you'd be crazy not to OC it. Its free performance. Something like a Hyper 212+ Plus will do for the cooler.

Get a GTX 460 1GB to go with it, your current GPU is a complete piece of trash, it was shitty at launch and is even more terrible now.

hgplayer1 said:

My PC is

4 Gig RAM

I'm curious. What did you score on the benchmark?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom