• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Kyoufu said:
I don't understand. Does it mean it'll be open for selection tomorrow? Or what? Confuzzled.

No I am guessing the test after, I believe they are doing a lot of changes on sat/sun.

So will probably be ready for Mon/Tue.

Kyoufu

Jinko said:
No I am guessing the test after, I believe they are doing a lot of changes on sat/sun.

So will probably be ready for Mon/Tue.

I hope so. One thing that really puts me off the beta right now is the inability to meet up with select friends.

Kuraine

Neo Member
CcrooK said:
I like the look of DoF. Gives it a movie-like look or what have you. I think my next play test I'm going to try out a Blacksmith. Maybe.

My problem with the DoF effects for gameplay (other than bogging down my GPU) are that it really kills a lot of the sky definition. When it's on, you can barely see the stars as more than smudges, and the clouds are more of a haze than the gorgeous ones present in the game.

On the plus side, they do force the DoF and AA effects for cutscenes, so they always look pretty :D

What I would love is a dynamic DoF system... Basically keep it off for running around, but as soon as you lock on in combat, the DoF kicks in to focus on the encounter. Now that I could get behind.

Salaadin

Ferrio said:
Ah a pity :(

I know :(
Im still wondering if its a Catalyst 10.6 issue. I havent seen anyone with issues running 10.5 yet so Im genuinely curious if thats part of it. I also dont have access to the beta forums though so I dont see lot of the complaints.

Salaadin

jersoc said:
nah, it's not a 10.6 I wasn't running them and it was still bad.

It's really a bummer, it's almost unplayable.

Ok. Thanks for confirming.

SE will straighten it out Im sure. Maybe with the next patch.

LowParry

Kuraine said:
My problem with the DoF effects for gameplay (other than bogging down my GPU) are that it really kills a lot of the sky definition. When it's on, you can barely see the stars as more than smudges, and the clouds are more of a haze than the gorgeous ones present in the game.

On the plus side, they do force the DoF and AA effects for cutscenes, so they always look pretty :D

What I would love is a dynamic DoF system... Basically keep it off for running around, but as soon as you lock on in combat, the DoF kicks in to focus on the encounter. Now that I could get behind.

Ah that's a shame. Maybe I'll keep DoF off then. Played it off for the most part and it makes the game looks very good.

Jinko

Salaadin said:
I know :(
Im still wondering if its a Catalyst 10.6 issue. I havent seen anyone with issues running 10.5 yet so Im genuinely curious if thats part of it. I also dont have access to the beta forums though so I dont see lot of the complaints.

I have rolled back to 10.4 because 10.5 supposedly had stutter issues aswell.

I will let you know what happens.

Would have to agree the DoF kind of ruins the game and looks way overdone.

Teknoman

notworksafe said:
Added server to OP. Also it seems that you weren't just having bad luck, Tekno.

ff_kefkaLaugh.gif

Damn it. Well Kefka does seem REALLY overpopulated, so I could try to reroll again on Shadowlord when my time comes around tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Wait, after tomorrow world selection will be available? Too bad we cant move characters over now.

I guess i'll have better luck trying to reroll early tomorrow.

EDIT:

Think it'll just be safe to post videos here without the name edited? I mean I dont think i'd have to worry about anyone posting the links outside this forum section.

Oh and I guess weapons dont scale, since those are pretty much job requirements. If the armor scales...then I could buy some nice armor early on, that lasts well into whatever rank is listed on its description?

Also its cool that there are materials that change the color and finish on armor, so even if you have the same armor as someone else...it could look very different.

Jinko

^ Says after the July 14th beta test, so I woudln't expect server selection to be there tomorrow.

Think it'll just be safe to post videos here without the name edited? I mean I dont think i'd have to worry about anyone posting the links outside this forum section.

Wouldn't chance it if I was you.

Nose Master

Gromph said:
It's the installation folder inside C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files in 32 bits.

Also patched with the last update, so if they release another small one and you didn't update you don't need the 3.5GB file

Thank you so much, Gromph. My neighbor is evil and assumes "opening ports" means "hacking the gibson." :lol

Even if I partially downloaded the update through their torrent, I can just replace the entire install folder or whatever folder this is and it'll be good?

Jinko

GMT Thurs 12:00-22:00-------------- Friday 00:00-10:00
PDT Thurs 5:00-15:00-------------- Thurs 17:00-3:00
EST Thurs 8:00-18:00 --------------- Thurs 20:00-6:00

Teknoman

Coldsnap said:
so servers are done till tuesday?

Thursday, July 15, 2010 – 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PDT)

and again at:

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. - Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

For CST convienence:

7am-5pm

7pm-5am

Kyoufu

Teknoman said:

I'm too lazy to edit names. Don't even care if I get banned from the beta.

gillty

Banned
If you guys read the OP you'd realize that using a memory editor to change the name string works for changing your name ingame.

Jinko

Info
--- Added: 07/14/2010 ---

- "Guardian's Favor" has no effect on any disciplines besides Disciples of War.

- There are times when an error may occur and you may be logged out while trading.

[Other]

--- Added: 07/15/2010 ---

- We have updated the game such that the log messages for the following items will no longer be visible to other players:
・ Changing between Passive Mode and Active Mode
・ When beginning a Battle Regimen
・ Claiming a monster
* The monster claiming message will be visible to your party members.

Coldsnap

Teknoman said:
Thursday, July 15, 2010 – 5:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (PDT)

and again at:

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. - Friday, July 16, 2010 at 3:00 a.m. (PDT)

For CST convienence:

7am-5pm

7pm-5am

for some reason I thought it was thursday today, that's why I thought since the servers were down it was done for the week. Duh me.

Teknoman

evilpigking said:
So most people are on Shadowlord or Kafka? Didn't get the install done quick enough for tuesday so Ill be making my character tomorrow.

Shadowlord. Alot of us only got stuck on Kefka because of the glitch.

Zomba13

A very kind friend of mine has let me share his beta account so I'll have my own boat shock avatar tomorrow :D
I'll try and get on shadowlord too.

Kuraine

Neo Member
If anyone else is on Exdeath, that's where I'm at. Didn't really feel like re-making my character, though I might next week since we'll be able to choose servers finally. Name is Cobbi Kuraine.

Teknoman

So since we pretty much know what the official server names will be(?) Whats the general consensus for our retail server(for those that want to be on the same server anyway)?

Im guessing most FFXI players will probably try and go for Shadowlord. You know Sephiroth and Kefka will be packed at retail by everyone else.

And of course the full list probably looks like:

Garland
Emperor
*not sure what the FFIII server would be called, since Cloud of Darkness is abit long*
Golbez
Exdeath
Kefka
Sephiroth
Ultimecia
Kuja
Jecht
Shadowlord
Gabranth
*not sure what the XIII server would be since I havent beat the game yet :lol *

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
So since we pretty much know what the official server names will be(?) Whats the general consensus for our retail server(for those that want to be on the same server anyway)?

Im wondering this myself. Me and my FFXI friends are all probably going to end up on Garland to try and avoid some of the overcrowded servers.

Teknoman said:

Im guessing most FFXI players will probably try and go for Shadowlord. You know Sephiroth and Kefka will be packed at retail by everyone else.

Garland
Emperor
*not sure what the FFIII server would be called, since Cloud of Darkness is abit long*
Golbez
Exdeath
Kefka
Sephiroth
Ultimecia
Kuja
Jecht
Shadowlord
Gabranth

Hmm...

No Chaos? Golbez over Zeromus? I'd also prefer Sin instead of Jecht.

FFXIII server will host the linear version of the game.

carlo6529

Teknoman said:

Garland
Emperor
Golbez
Exdeath
Kefka
Sephiroth
Ultimecia
Kuja
Jecht
Shadowlord
Gabranth

I was hoping for same name servers from ffxi. There needs to be a bahamut server.

carlo6529 said:
I was hoping for same name servers from ffxi. There needs to be a bahamut server.

I'm avoiding Sephiroth like the plague. Everyone is going to want to play on that just for the name.

Kyoufu said:
FFXIII will probably be
Orphan
or
Barthandelus
maybe...?

I just highlighted those spoilers without finishing FFXIII (I've played most of it) and I still don't feel spoiled.

Teknoman

DoctorWho said:
Hmm...

No Chaos? Golbez over Zeromus? I'd also prefer Sin instead of Jecht.

FFXIII server will host the linear version of the game.

DoctorWho said:
I just highlighted those spoilers without finishing FFXIII (I've played most of it) and I still don't feel spoiled.

Yeah im pretty far...and it doesnt seem like all the server names are the true enemy in the game (FFIX with Necron, IV with Zeromus, and I with Chaos) so those are probably fair game. Looks like they choose bad guys that were characters in Dissidia for the most part.

Jinko

Those may not be the offical servers, they may keep them for the PS3 beta and make completely new ones for the PC retail servers.

I imagine they are going to want to start with more than 13 servers aswell. :lol

Kyoufu

IIRC FFXI launched in Japan with 20 servers initially, and if I'm not mistaken, a few more were added later, although my memory is sketchy on that part.

13 is way too little. Time to include those spin-off villains.

Lucis

tried it a bit last night...
how can anyone approve this shitty control on the kb?
it's totally designed for gamepads

i played 4 years of ff11 (2002-2006) and wow (late 2005-2009). i remember i used to really like ff11's control. maybe wow's flawless control really did it for me?

I am about to cancel my preorder because of the shit controls, arg.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Those may not be the offical servers, they may keep them for the PS3 beta and make completely new ones for the PC retail servers.

I imagine they are going to want to start with more than 13 servers aswell. :lol

Yeah, thats true. Maybe there were multiple servers for the FFXI JP beta too.

I kinda like the bad guy naming scheme though.

Kirashi said:
tried it a bit last night...
how can anyone approve this shitty control on the kb?
it's totally designed for gamepads

i played 4 years of ff11 (2002-2006) and wow (late 2005-2009). i remember i used to really like ff11's control. maybe wow's flawless control really did it for me?

I am about to cancel my preorder because of the shit controls, arg.

Or you could buy a gamepad :lol

Seriously though, I believe the control scheme for keyboards is supposed to be updated at some point soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom