• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Ferrio said:
Really wish I could test this out..... stupid ATI.

Should be fixed soon, just force your way through the main quest so you can get into some of the instances. Those more than likely show how the game should usually perform.

Ferrio

Banned
Teknoman said:
Should be fixed soon, just force your way through the main quest so you can get into some of the instances. Those more than likely show how the game should usually perform.

I can't, it's way too bad. Also can you even fight as a miner? I didn't really try to figure it out since the slowdown frustrated me so much.

Jinko

Ploid 3.0 said:
Sup Lone.

My FF14 wish list:

I would also like a speedier battle system, although I don't know all of the details on how you fight in this game. Do they now have it so you have to press a button for each normal attack? If not yeah I want a fast battle system. I remember the first time I saw a kraken ninja in FFXI. It blew my mind, then a few years later I got my own taste at that type of stuff with low delay daggers and other options. Speedy fighting is no problem to deal with if you know how to play, it actually more fun. Faster TP, faster damage, faster exp gaining, everything get's better you even get to think faster instead of waiting for something to happen.

You might want to go Pugilist, check this video out for different classes and the speed differences etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MIxohpxS8w

Jinko, where do you play? (Which world?)

Shadowlord.

Teknoman

Ferrio said:
I can't, it's way too bad. Also can you even fight as a miner? I didn't really try to figure it out since the slowdown frustrated me so much.

I think you can throw rocks or something. I know they said something about miners being able to do nice debuffs againsnt earth and metal based enemies?

EDIT: With fast attacking jobs or abilities that aid stamina regen, you should have a "mini hundred fists" with normal attacks all the time.

Jinko

MCX said:
Is that the primary GAF server? I hope you don't mind me asking noob questions on Tuesday when I sign up. :D

Think its supposed to be yea, only seen a handful of people on there last test though.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MCX said:
Thanks for the info.

Do any of you use Vent while playing the beta?
There is a vent server on the OP. We didnt seem to use it much on Tuesday but I can see using it later on during the beta

hgplayer1

ugh those new test times are horrible for me especially with Shadowlord going down for maintenance so soon after start. Good thing I have characters on other servers! :D

Teknoman

Just realized i'll be at work while the evening section of testing is going on, so i'll only have like 2hrs in the evening.

I could do like... the first 4 hrs of test time I guess.

I saw a few pages back people were trying to figure out what the PS3 controller scheme would be so they could make a similar one for the beta. Never saw an answer for that.

From the beta site:

carlo6529

Jinko said:
Yup cooldown per quest a maximum of 8 per character, hopefully this will be changed for release, as Alpha was cooldown of every 2 hours.

Looks like no camps, you will be running from monster to monster.

I really hope that is not the case; I was just talking about this with a friend. It is nice to discover a spot that is good for leveling.

It dumbs the game down just having monsters everywhere. With camps, people are forced to pay attention.

Teknoman

carlo6529 said:
I really hope that is not the case; I was just talking about this with a friend. It is nice to discover a spot that is good for leveling.

It dumbs the game down just having monsters everywhere. With camps, people are forced to pay attention.

With the current battle system, you already need to pay attention. Wandering around and killing monsters just makes it more like a normal jrpg.

Besides camping the same spot for hours gets boring, and you'd think camping lets people not pay attention, since enemies are in the same spot for the duration of the party.

No one can "steal your spot" when you dont have to camp too.

Jinko

Yup with the battle system as it is, there is little down time so moving from mob to mob is deffinately a step up to what was in FF11, they do need to fix the mage classes and give them some form of mana regen and then I think it will work really well.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Yup with the battle system as it is, there is little down time so moving from mob to mob is deffinately a step up to what was in FF11, they do need to fix the mage classes and give them some form of mana regen and then I think it will work really well.

Yeah, had no idea mages couldnt regen MP.

Londa

Banned
RuGalz said:
Uh, I'm familiar with game development cycle; those are not fixing the game, those are just natural progression of getting the game ready to ship. What takes forever to fix has always been fundamental design issues. They just added visual Utsusemi counter to FFXI after how many years?

Off topic but...

To be honest I think that visual counter is belittling the player. All you have to do is count to three. I'm shocked that they have really dumbed down XI to this degree. I think that was the main reason I stop playing XI. It wasn't the same game I loved in 2004-2006

On topic...
I fear that stuff like this will come to 14 within a year. I hope one day SE can make a challenging game without people complaining.

Alex

Can someone clarify the quest thing, 2hr CD? 48 hour CD? Is that just for beta? I am so confused

Controller layout looks the same as FFXI, which really played quite lovely on a pad. I only did pad on the PC.

Time to break out Motionjoy again!

LowParry

Are we all friends now? I really don't want to lose anyone because of some small beef. We're all in this together. So let's help each other out with what information we have. Damn, I want to get to Gladiator 10 though. They look to start opening up around that level and beyond.

Edit: I'm still on the Emperor server. Not sure if I want to start up a new char. I'll probably mess around with the recruiting side of things to see how it works out.

Londa

Banned
notworksafe said:
Yep, can't wait!

PDT times:

Urg... I will be at work and then I have to wait until 11pm to play? wtf? Stupid shadowlord server. I think I'll just make a new character on a different server lol

CcrooK said:
Are we all friends now? I really don't want to lose anyone because of some small beef. We're all in this together. So let's help each other out with what information we have. Damn, I want to get to Gladiator 10 though. They look to start opening up around that level and beyond.

o_o... what happen while I was gone? lol I hope everyone are friends. I want to play with Gaf in my FF. lol

LowParry

Londa said:
o_o... what happen while I was gone? lol I hope everyone are friends. I want to play with Gaf in my FF. lol

The whole "white knights of FF" blah, etc. It's not a big deal. Just people getting a little heated, etc. Jumping to conclusions or whatever. It's over and now we can focus on our testing next week to see what we can find and discover.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
CcrooK said:

Edit: I'm still on the Emperor server. Not sure if I want to start up a new char. I'll probably mess around with the recruiting side of things to see how it works out.

:lol we're all still friends. I'm looking forward to seeing more information on the game and playing day one. Just want a good game at launch so all my friends will stick around.

Jinko

CcrooK said:

Doesn't take long to hit 10 on gladiator once you get in the swing of things, can appreicate not wanting to start a new charcter mind you.

I just hope Shadowlord doesn't get screwed over with the early maintainance not to come back at all :|

Doubt I will bother with any parties till at least lvl 10, didn't seem to work very well for us last tuesday, although we didn't have a conjurer I guess which would have helped.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nakazato said:
my buddy gave me his invite :D

so now i have to get a new card :lol :lol should i get a 4670 or wait a few weeks and get a 5750 ?

Get a GTX 460 :)

Nakazato said:
my buddy gave me his invite :D

so now i have to get a new card :lol :lol should i get a 4670 or wait a few weeks and get a 5750 ?

Neither are really fantastic for the game. I'd try and spring for a 5770 at the least, if you can't afford to up your budget and don't mind dealing with rebates then you can go for something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127495&cm_re=gts_250-_-14-127-495-_-Product

It'll perform better in FF than a 5750 and its much cheaper to boot. A second hand GTX 260 for ~$100 would be even better, though that'll require a fairly beefy PSU.

Londa

Banned
Jinko said:
Yea I would guess over 40% of the new testers haven't even read the beta manual, is kind of sad people asking stuff they should already know.

have you read the "make it like WoW" thread? wow to some of the people lol

Salaadin

Are there any download links to the H2010.7.15.2000 file? Im trying to update and the 7.12 one no longer works.

EDIT: nvm, renamed 7.12 to 7.15, Its updating yet but started at 60% but should be done much faster.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Salaadin said:
Are there any download links to the H2010.7.15.2000 file? Im trying to update and the 7.12 one no longer works.

EDIT: nvm, renamed 7.12 to 7.15, Its updating yet but started at 60% but should be done much faster.

Download the SquareEnix.rar, and then the Hazaro patch :)

That .rar is updated to 7.12 so you dont need another 3.5GB if you didint updated to 7.12.

Emonk

Banned
Just ran the benchmark on my new rig I built. I spent about $700 on it, but I already had a Win 7 license so that amount is just the PC. My final score on the low resolution was 4157. I have a 22" monitor, and it doesn't support the high resolution so I figured there was no point in testing it.

I have a Radeon HD 5770. I don't know if my score is good or bad for that card, but it looks like I can handle the game anyway.

Kuro268

Neo Member
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the videos. :)

For those wondering:

A) What was your benchmark score?
6700 on low. 4000 on high.

B) System Specs?
i7 930 @ 4.0
6GB DDR3 1600
ATI HD 5850
Windows 7 64 bit

C) Settings?
Config:
Windowed
Window Size: 1280x720
Multisampling: 2Sample (as of Wednesday I'll be testing this on 8Sample)
Buffer Size: Window Size (as of Wednesday I'll be testing this on Double)
Shadow Detail: Standard

In-game:
Character Shadows Off
Dust Effects On
Extended Drawing On
Physics On

The game runs near perfect outside of towns with the occasional stutter (dips FPS randomly) due to this ATI problem.. Tuesday's test with the partial fix was a little better but not where it was during Alpha. Town is a nightmare until all the character models are loaded then its "ok".

Hope this helps you guys. :D

Teknoman

Heh, didnt know Kuro was on NeoGAF.

720p scores:

2rpyb20.jpg

348oec1.jpg

With my new processor, benchmark ran at high 60s-70s fps the most of the time.

Teknoman

Kuro268 said:
Yeah haha. I've been lurking for a long time. XD

Tek you played XI? You the same one from Midgardsormr? ;O

Yup, the same Teknoman from Midgard.

CcrooK said:
Well that's a huge step up Tek.

Yeah, everything else is running great too. Its crazy that I really havent been getting the full value of my card because my previous processor was a bottleneck :lol

Kuro268

Neo Member
Haha nice man. Good to see more people from Midgard looking forward to playing the new game. :)

As for your benchmark... After all the tweaking we've done on the BG forums it makes sense that your low score would go up with a CPU upgrade. CPU plays the most important role on low res, it just disregards everything else and just plows through the benchmark. GPU really only comes into play on high res. I've managed to get my low score from 5400 to 6700 by OCing/using Hyperthreading, but my high res score only went up 30 points. :(

Teknoman

Kuro268 said:
Haha nice man. Good to see more people from Midgard looking forward to playing the new game. :)

As for your benchmark... After all the tweaking we've done on the BG forums it makes sense that your low score would go up with a CPU upgrade. CPU plays the most important role on low res, it just disregards everything else and just plows through the benchmark. GPU really only comes into play on high res. I've managed to get my low score from 5400 to 6700 by OCing/using Hyperthreading, but my high res score only went up 30 points. :(

Well I only plan on playing at 1440x900, but i'll have shadows on high, ambient and depth turned off, buffer size window (since I play full screen) and 2x multisampling...but i guess I should give the high res bench a shot just to see.

EDIT: Did you go by Kurokikaze on XI? For some reason, that name sounds familiar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom