• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
hgplayer1 said:
those are nice vids. that guy was obviously not having problems with framerates or lag.

I wonder why he was scrolling though the commands instead of just using the 1-0 keys?

dammit it sucks that we didnt get to play today.
Was using a DualShock 3

My new rig was expected to ship out next week, but I just received an email that it shipped out today! I hope it arrives before the next beta test :D

Teknoman

Classic_Gs said:
My new rig was expected to ship out next week, but I just received an email that it shipped out today! I hope it arrives before the next beta test :D

Same here (sorta), should be installing my new processor/MB over the weekend. I'll post benchmark differences for those interested in upgrading to something similar when the time comes.

desa

ffxivgame%202010-07-13%2006-22-41-87.png

Pew pew

More here

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Have they mentioned if all the hairstyles/customization options present in the beta will be what's available in the retail build? Hoping there's some more options in a couple categories.

Jinko

LeMaximilian said:
Have they mentioned if all the hairstyles/customization options present in the beta will be what's available in the retail build? Hoping there's some more options in a couple categories.

There has been quite a few posts on the beta forums asking for more, so hopeful they will add more.

Video's look good, I can't wait to get a shield for my GLD makes a lot of difference to the amount of damage you take, too bad they don't give you one to start with.

The first shield cost like 4k which is just stupid.

desa

Jinko said:
There has been quite a few posts on the beta forums asking for more, so hopeful they will add more.

Video's look good, I can't wait to get a shield for my GLD makes a lot of difference to the amount of damage you take, too bad they don't give you one to start with.

The first shield cost like 4k which is just stupid.

I think I remember buying mine for around 1k. It's the shops before the blacksmith guild.

LowParry

Jinko said:
D'oh I didn't even see that 1k one there, I just assumed the 4.6k one was the lowest price one and the Bronze Hoplon was something else.

Did the same thing. lol - you see those vids posted by Tek with tanking action? It's like melee dps that tanks! Super stoked about being a tank.

Jinko

Londa said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfeem09LCM

This leve looks actually fun and the guy playing got a hat as a reward. Really can't wait until next week.

This looks really great, its too bad the provoke ability isn't AoE (or is it ?) haven't learn it yet.

Think im going to enjoy playing as tank for once :D

Service accounts for FINAL FANTASY XIV and the FINAL FANTASY XIV Collector's Edition can only be added for the same region as your Square Enix account (Japan, North America, or Europe). The game cannot be played if the product region is different from the Square Enix account region, so be sure to check the region for which the product is intended before making a purchase.

Khrno

Kinan said:
hahaha. They named it Vodyanoi! :) They probably have some Russians in the FF14 team.

For those who do not know, its a figure from Slavic folklore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vodyanoy

What you say might be true, but looking at XI, they either have people from many parts of the world in their staff, or their designers do actually research global folklore and mythology.

Londa said:
Anyone else have any favorite tracks from the game?

I love the track 1D, love the vocals.

LaneDS

I dig that really epic vocal track that's buried in the soundtrack somewhere. I also liked how they incorporated the lady's vocals from that track into the boat scene, you can hear part of the song briefly at one point (I forget which) that was very cool. Guess we'll be hearing a lot of that song throughout the game, which is pretty neat.

From art to music to story to characters... this game won't disappoint.

Edit: This one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3MwYHeZPo

Lyrics are cheesy, but it's perfect for this sort of thing.

Jinko

Londa said:
Been listening to some of the soundtrack for the game. I try not to spoil myself by listening to it all. So I only listen to a select few.

This has to be my favorite one that I've stumbled apon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_9aBbw3Ris&playnext_from=TL&videos=SmBEF_gO0Z0

Anyone else have any favorite tracks from the game?

I didn't know there were a whole new bunch of tracks. :O

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jJ8ykAJs_c&feature=related (reminds me of the Promathia BCNM music)

This is my favourite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjiRQmqadoY&feature=related

There are so many amazing tracks, take my hat off to Uematsu he still has it in him to write great music.

LaneDS

Pretty much the whole soundtrack was ripped from the alpha, 83 tracks if I recall correctly. Almost all of which is probably on YouTube and available elsewhere online to listen to.

(That was for edit-Jinko, I don't think there are any new tracks from the beta)

Jinko

There are deffinately some new tracks (at least to me) from the ripped zip folder I downloaded when the alpha came out.

Perhaps I missed a bunch of them or something.

Kyoufu

Do you guys know if its going to be possible to level with just my friend to the level cap or will we need a full group like in FFXI?

Jinko

Kyoufu said:
Do you guys know if its going to be possible to level with just my friend to the level cap or will we need a full group like in FFXI?

Impossible to say at this point, I think it will be very hard to level solo/small party if they keep the guildleve system as it is. (48 hour cooldown)

It seems the new lvl 20-30 monsters are crazy difficult, hopefully it won't require full parties to do everything though.

Kyoufu

Jinko said:
Impossible to say at this point, I think it will be very hard to level solo/small party if they keep the guildleve system as it is. (48 hour cooldown)

It seems the new lvl 20-30 monsters are crazy difficult, hopefully it won't require full parties to do everything though.

Is that cooldown per leve or for all of them? I really have no idea how the game works when it comes to questing ;(

Which brings me to my next question. Will there be exp camps like in FFXI where we level off surrounding monsters?

Jinko

Kyoufu said:
Is that cooldown per leve or for all of them? I really have no idea how the game works when it comes to questing ;(

Yup cooldown per quest a maximum of 8 per character, hopefully this will be changed for release, as Alpha was cooldown of every 2 hours.

Which brings me to my next question. Will there be exp camps like in FFXI where we level off surrounding monsters?

Looks like no camps, you will be running from monster to monster.

Munba

Important! Read This before Purchasing FINAL FANTASY XIV!

Service accounts for FINAL FANTASY XIV and the FINAL FANTASY XIV Collector's Edition can only be added for the same region as your Square Enix account (Japan, North America, or Europe). The game cannot be played if the product region is different from the Square Enix account region, so be sure to check the region for which the product is intended before making a purchase.

I think it was obvious, after all.

Jinko

Munba said:
I think it was obvious, after all.

Yea but a lot of EU people still have US accounts because it came out in the EU 1.5 years later.

So if they want to use the same SE account they will need to buy a US version of FF14.

I think it would probably be easier to make a new SE account though. (of course if you do this and have applied for the FF13 bonus item you will be screwed)

Vesper73

Has SE said whether they will have realtime shadows on all surfaces, (as opposed to simply character shadows)? I was hoping that the 'Highest' shadow detail setting would do the trick, but it seems that is not working correctly at the moment.

Normally, I would expect that this is just a beta version limitation. But I know they added shadows to FFXI a while back, yet only managed shadows on characters and signs. So I'm hoping that this is something they don't see as being unimportant, (and I'm sure there are a lot of players that would agree with that sentiment as well).

I would expect they will get in there eventually, as pretty much every mordern MMO has this feature, (including WOW and Everquest 2).

I'm not trying to be a picky bastard! ) But assumed that if I care, there are probably others out there that do as well.

Thanks all!

RuGalz

Wow the videos look like snore fest. On top of that, FF11 vibe all over the places. :-/ Hope they can up the pace a bit by release or at least by first expansion, when I think I will give it a real look and determine if the game is worth playing at all.

Londa

Banned
LaneDS said:
I dig that really epic vocal track that's buried in the soundtrack somewhere. I also liked how they incorporated the lady's vocals from that track into the boat scene, you can hear part of the song briefly at one point (I forget which) that was very cool. Guess we'll be hearing a lot of that song throughout the game, which is pretty neat.

From art to music to story to characters... this game won't disappoint.

Edit: This one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB3MwYHeZPo

Lyrics are cheesy, but it's perfect for this sort of thing.

I noticed that SE does more English voiced tracts now. They even re-did some of the XIII tracks from Japanese to English for NA release.

LowParry

RuGalz said:
Wow the videos look like snore fest. On top of that, FF11 vibe all over the places. :-/ Hope they can up the pace a bit by release or at least by first expansion, when I think I will give it a real look and determine if the game is worth playing at all.

You didn't see alpha battles did you? Guess you won't be playing.

RuGalz said:

The FF MMOs have all been made with the approach of fitting classic turn-based RPGs, in which you have to think about every action and coordinate with your party mates, into a MMO framework. I understand most MMOs since WoW involve fast autoattack, character animations that have no weight to them, an spammable abilities/spells, but that does not make it a standard. This sort of battle system is what a lot of players want.

Khrno

RuGalz said:

Sucks for you mate.

Kyoufu

RuGalz said:

I guess you won't be playing this since it'll require you to use your brain rather than a 1 2 3 rotation found on every WoW guide.

RuGalz

HappyBivouac said:
It's a trend that WoW for the most part started. So yes.

Does not mean you can't make a game that's faster pace and play differently from WoW. And for the record, I hate WoW and all of its clones.

notworksafe

Both Aion and LOTRO use auto attack and still manage to have fun combat. Hell even UO, EQ, and a zillion MUDs before then used it. But clearly it's a trend WoW started.

Haters gonna hate, indeed. But no one gets defensive like an FF player can, so it's to be expected.

I didn't say it was about auto attack. That would be silly.

It's about the combination of things I posted above.

notworksafe said:
no one gets defensive like an FF player can.

It gets on one's nerves after a while seeing so many internet folks go on and on about the same "wow this looks boring lol" crap. Can these people not play turn-based/ATB games?

notworksafe

Yeah but I don't see that being true either. Cooldown management is a part of pretty much every MMO. There's always going to be a rotation of spells/abilities that is most effective for the battle. You'll always pick the best abilities to fit with your party and what you are fighting. FFXIV doesn't really change anything. Not saying it isn't fun...but it isn't really innovative either.
HappyBivouac said:
It gets on one's nerves after a while seeing so many internet folks go on and on about the same "wow this looks boring lol" crap. Can these people not play turn-based/ATB games?
People that don't like MMOs don't like MMO gameplay. News at 11. I think everyone who plays an MMO is used to those comments. FF players just like to screw up their faces and cry about how their game is special compared to all the rest when it's just not true. It is funny to go into any message board about FF and whisper "wow" to get everyone worked up and yelling, though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Uh, RuGalz is Shenmu, who basically started the GAF LS with us from the start. Calm yourself and back off the troll comments. Also, FFXIV doesn't need white knights. No one brought up WoW so don't start now. It doesn't become you.

Personally, FFXIV is now two months away from launch. They just started another phase of beta while canceling dates. I'm personally pretty concerned at this point (my CE is preordered btw). Alex is right on point.

nickcv

i still didn't get a beta invite, so i decided to start playing FF XI to get a taste of SE mmo skills.
:D

One thing that really bothers me is the looting system, did they make some improvement or change about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom