• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro268

Neo Member
You should be good to go with that parse on those settings. I will say this... you could probably squeeze a good 500-1000 out of that bad boy on low by OCing. Wouldn't recommend it if you're not use to messing around with that though.

Yeah that was my XI name. I played a DRG and SAM but most people remember my PLD. -_-;

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Kuro268 said:
Haha nice man. Good to see more people from Midgard looking forward to playing the new game. :)
Midgar here too. Corran Horn from Pandavas. Havnt been active in last 1-2 years though (well Corran got banned like 3 years ago)

Whens the testing start up again?
I managed to play it for half an hour at like 4 am when I randomly woke up and it had finished downloading an got past the boat bit (took me ages because of the shit bag PC controls) and need to see if my pc can handle it or whether I should start saving for a new one.

Edit: Should have read the OP again :lol

desa

Billen said:
Was watching this together with my son of 12 years, and we both find the combat music and sound effects extremely annoying.

You can turn it down or off. The constant beeping is understandable but the music? Extremely annoying? wat

Londa

Banned
Billen said:
Was watching this together with my son of 12 years, and we both find the combat music and sound effects extremely annoying.

not sure how the combat is annoying. However if that is how you feel maybe you shouldn't buy the game. I don't really see them changing the whole combat and sound effects in two months.

Jinko

Billen said:

I agree the menu sound effects are kind of annoying, but compared to the Alpha ones they aren't :lol

I'm sure you will beable to turn both the music and sound effects off though, will probably leave a boring experience though.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
desa said:
You can turn it down or off. The constant beeping is understandable but the music? Extremely annoying? wat

FFXI's music was good. Now, show of hands of those who turned that shit off and listened to their own music while playing?

*raises hand*

No matter how good, the battle music will be annoying after the 100th time. :lol

I cant seem to play games while listening to music, no idea why... also you wouldn't be able to hear the noise when you aggroed a really fucked off goblin :lol

Kintaro

Johnlenham said:
I cant seem to play games while listening to music, no idea why... also you wouldn't be able to hear the noise when you aggroed a really fucked off goblin :lol

Sound effects up, music off. After playing FFXI for a long time, you tended to realize when you aggroed something. :lol

Kuro268

Neo Member
Oh damn, lots of people from Midgard, nice!

Theres an option in game to set the sound levels for sound effects, bgm and something else. I turned them down in XI and probably will in XIV. The problem with the bgm is that it doesn't keep playing as long as you're in Active mode - so you keep hearing the same 10-15 second guitar riff while grinding. I still haven't heard the entire song in game... It gets annoying after a while. Future grinding vids will mostly likely have some OC Remixes playing in the background.. lol

Kintaro said:
Sound effects up, music off. After playing FFXI for a long time, you tended to realize when you aggroed something. :lol

Never thought of that.. 4 years playing the damn game aswell! I was on Ramuh though.

MCX

Banned
Kintaro said:
FFXI's music was good. Now, show of hands of those who turned that shit off and listened to their own music while playing?

*raises hand*

No matter how good, the battle music will be annoying after the 100th time. :lol
istockphoto_2447147-raised-hand.jpg

FFXI had wonderful overworld music but boy did it get old fast. I cranked up the sound effect volume to a reasonable level and let iTunes take care of the rest.

gillty

Banned
Kintaro said:

*raises hand*

Negative, I must have this magical ability to tune out sounds selectively as I wish. In fact in games like EVE and WoW where you can set the music to loop I always select that option.

chris-013

I think it's the first mmorpg where I can't play a thief / assassin type class at the start but there is still the pugilist... he is fast enough but I prefer dual wielding knife/sword. :lol

I hope SE don't screw people later with advanced class like assassin and samurai which require x class rank x ^^;

desa

I'm pretty sure that wasn't his 100th time watching that video :p

But yeah, I did turn it off and listen to my music collection or change the whole FFXI soundtrack to my liking. But I always return. *salutes* Sanctuary of Zi'Tah

Jinko

I have to admit the music in Whitegate used to drive me insane, never used my own music as felt it would ruin the feel of the game.

Turning it off was a good option tho.

Teknoman

Nope never changed the music or listened to my own music...except when doing fraps videos, but thats only because of having to cut the video, and not wanting the music to skip around.

Also whitegate was awesome :(

If I like a game's soundtrack, I never mess with it...first time i've heard someone say the sound effects were annoying though.

Kintaro

desa said:
I'm pretty sure that wasn't his 100th time watching that video :p

But yeah, I did turn it off and listen to my music collection or change the whole FFXI soundtrack to my liking. But I always return. *salutes* Sanctuary of Zi'Tah

I have to admit, that guitar riff is annoying just in that video. So, I can see how beef with it.

Kuro268

Neo Member
If by engaged you mean - attacking a mob in FFXIV then theoretically it works more or less the same way. Difference being:

FFXI - You take out your weapon (means you are not attacking just have weapon out). BGM plays. When meriting you heard the same like 10-15 seconds of the song play unless didn't have auto-target on.
FFXIV - You attack a target. BGM plays until all targets are dead. Active or not.

The difference here is Passive/Active modes. Its like a minor thing in my opinion but if it worked how it did in XI it would be a little better and slightly less annoying.

I really like the second guildleve track. Those play until the leve is over.

Teknoman

Kuro268 said:
If by engaged you mean - attacking a mob in FFXIV then theoretically it works more or less the same way. Difference being:

FFXI - You take out your weapon (means you are not attacking just have weapon out). BGM plays. When meriting you heard the same like 10-15 seconds of the song play unless didn't have auto-target on.
FFXIV - You attack a target. BGM plays until all targets are dead. Active or not.

The difference here is Passive/Active modes. Its like a minor thing in my opinion but if it worked how it did in XI it would be a little better and slightly less annoying.

I really like the second guildleve track. Those play until the leve is over.

So far the soundtrack seems like a mix of Final Fantasy and what Uematsu went with for Blue Dragon with a little Lost Odyssey. Which isnt a bad thing for me since I liked both LO and BD soundtracks. Personally I think the battle tracks are pretty engaging and make you want think and act quickly.

Also, had no idea it was like that in XIV aside from levequest fights...guess I need to party more.

LowParry

Kintaro said:

This is true. With any other MMO I've played, after a few months of the music, I tend to switch to my own every now and then. WoW for example with weekly raids, you gotta have your own music or most of the times, just chatting up on Vent with the sound effects on low so that I can hear people talking.

Jinko

BTW is anyone planning on playing a Conjurer, if not I may switch, we are guna need one for Dodo's and sheep I think, will give me a good chance to see how the Class skill points get distributed so I can whinge about it on the beta forum :p

Terproerg

hope to join you guys in retail :D. my beta playing isnt going to be very good. I only scored 1100 with my backup card in :\. Still i am amazed this 8600GT can even run the dame game lol.

MCX

Banned
I plan on playing as a samurai or ninja. I assume conjurer is a mage? I've never liked playing a mana dependent job.

Terproerg said:
hope to join you guys in retail :D. my beta playing isnt going to be very good. I only scored 1100 with my backup card in :\. Still i am amazed this 8600GT can even run the dame game lol.
You can find a quality used 8800 GT for ~$60. It would be a huge increase over an 8600.

Jinko

MCX said:
I plan on playing as a samurai or ninja. I assume conjurer is a mage? I've never liked playing a mana dependent job.

You can find a quality used 8800 GT for ~$60. It would be a huge increase over an 8600.

You're guna be disappointed nothing like Samurai or Ninja is in the Beta.

Khrno

Jinko said:
You're guna be disappointed nothing like Samurai or Ninja is in the Beta.

Some eastern type job will be added later on. In a previous interview Tanak mentioned that many other types of weapons will be added later anyway (still hoping for a Scythe, or I'll have to be a Dark Botanist as someone said).

Terproerg

there is no jobs from ffxi in the game. its all new stuff.

my 8600 is just in till my rma comes back ;\. or i get enough cash for another card heh.

LowParry

Jinko said:
BTW is anyone planning on playing a Conjurer, if not I may switch, we are guna need one for Dodo's and sheep I think, will give me a good chance to see how the Class skill points get distributed so I can whinge about it on the beta forum :p

I'll be tanking and doing blacksmithing I'd imagin for starts.

Jinko

Khrno said:
Some eastern type job will be added later on. In a previous interview Tanak mentioned that many other types of weapons will be added later anyway (still hoping for a Scythe, or I'll have to be a Dark Botanist as someone said).

They should have probably named the Botanist weapon as Sickle and kept the Scythe for a Melee class.

It's going to be akward for them now to provide a scythe based damage class.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Jinko said:

I will play a Conjurer :)

bardia

Man I can't wait to play retail as well, I was on Midgard when PC ver launched. Char name was Ramzus. I also definitely recognize all of the gaf peoples names that were on midgard :lol

Teknoman

Eventually everyone will probably end up messing around with each job at least once, to get extra abilities for their main job.

Khrno

Teknoman said:
Eventually everyone will probably end up messing around with each job at least once, to get extra abilities for their main job.

And that's how the cookie cutter builds will be made.

chris-013

Jinko said:

You are all playing on shadowlord right ?

Teknoman

Corum said:
Is there a healer class in the game?

Yeah so far its just Conjurer, which is more or less like a blm/whm. Whats cool is that normal cure and protect are area of effect.

chris-013 said:
You are all playing on shadowlord right ?

Yeah. Most of us anyway.

Khrno said:
And that's how the cookie cutter builds will be made.

Probably. Since theres also traits to be learned and a point cost for all abilities / weapon skills (which arent always attacks) equipped, aside from default attacking abilities, there could be multiple builds for each job.

Of course stuff like steal and chakra might be good to have for soloing as any job, then again i'm not sure if you can mix discipline of war abilities with discipline of magic, land, or hand.

Jinko

It will create a good bit of versatility, as long as SE keep the melee and caster stat pools seperate or allowed better alocation, the game is going to turn out really well.

Cookie cutter build are guna appear at some point and its not guna take long for people to parse the logs and crunch the numbers.

Always had the FFXI music on when I played (although I did change the game files to change the Zilart expansion's terrible outdoor battle song to the song that played during the card game).

Had the soundtrack at one point but I now refuse to listen to it as any time I hear the Gustaberg / Saruta / Windurst music I break down and almost resubscribe to the game.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
It will create a good bit of versatility, as long as SE keep the melee and caster stat pools seperate or allowed better alocation, the game is going to turn out really well.

Cookie cutter build are guna appear at some point and its not guna take long for people to parse the logs and crunch the numbers.

i'm just glad reassigning stat points costs nothing. So if you "screw up" then you can just reassign no problem. Then again, I like it when everyone you fight with has different abilities, regardless of whether they are the same job as you.

And since every melee job has a specialized ranged weapon (throwing knives, javelins, chakrams, tomahawks) we'll probably have even more differentiation between jobs.

EDIT: Has anyone said anything about the benefit of using a completed guildleve towards on you're about to take on? I only got the option once for some reason.

LowParry

So Tek, here's something to compare with your new rig.

At 720p:

3aqeq.jpg

At 1080p (1920x1080) I score a 3760 with a load out of 19852 ms. I should probably look into doing a safe overclock of my CPU since that's the highest one I can unless I replace my Mobo for the upgrade. We have pretty similar rigs aside that I have the better GPU, but you have the better CPU.

Anyone know of a good place to start looking into safe OC with CPU's?

Sidenote: I wonder if the ATI issue is within the benchmark or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom