• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

notworksafe

I'm hoping they cancelled the tests cause they just wanted to wait and drop some huge patch on us and didn't see the point in fixing servers to work with the old content.

I've got my SE ordered and ready to go (goggles sounded like the better item to me). All I want from this game is proper mouse control. And perhaps no limit on AH postings.

Londa

Banned
What I don't get is when a person knows they dislike a certain type of game, they go out of their way to watch videos, screenshots, and read interviews and news on said game. Why?

But here is the kicker. They then search online for a forum or community that likes said game and then they tell everyone there that the game those people enjoy is crap and that it needs to be like the game they enjoy.

Why can't they just decide to play games that they enjoy and leave others do the same? Why tell people their type of game sucks and will fail when it clearly isn't from the large following?

WoW is getting a remake or whatever that Cata stuff is. Why not flock there instead of signing up for FFXIV beta and trolling the forums to prove to everyone that the game should be more like WoW?

edit:
(no need to really answer those questions. I'm really just venting out of frustration)

Alex

I think it looks pretty fast. I'm happy that it's ATB instead of auto attack especially. There's a lot more room to grow in a system like that with the way the FF online titles manage themselves.

Personally, I always thought WoW combat was pretty simple and bland for leveling (but really great for BG/Arena/Raid), but it kept the pace of the game and the gigantic revamps to it should be interesting. I wish I could've originally played with the things they're doing in Cataclysm =/

FFXI however had SUPER fun leveling/party gameplay once you got past a small hump. I wouldn't really say it was like... hard, but it had it's challenge and it was really kinetic as a party game. It was fun to link up attacks and get the bursts and go for the high EXP chains back in the day.

But then I didn't think it handled large group combat well, most of the end game stuff I did just wasn't very appealing to me. The most difficult pieces of end game in my FFXI experience was never the actual content

What am I hearing about two DAY cooldowns on quests though!? That is... silly! Am I misinterpreting the context, is it just for alpha/beta or are we back to grinding? :(

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Londa said:
(no need to really answer those questions. I'm really just venting out of frustration)

I, uh, think you need to detach yourself from the game. Or something.

Most of the concerns that appear on this forum are by people who were FFXI players for many years. Many years. They would like to see a reason to come back and play with the friends they made. However, they see something that may prohibit them from doing so. It's a forum. They can vent the negatives if they want.

Again, no one is really talking about WoW (sans Alex who is comparing and contrasting). No reason to bring it up or be insecure about it. Reminds of terrible FFXI days.

Jinko

RuGalz said:
Wow the videos look like snore fest.

Since when was it fun and exciting to watch someone else play an MMO (or pretty much any game for that matter)

On top of that, FF11 vibe all over the places. :-/

News flash its by the people who made FF11.

Hope they can up the pace a bit by release or at least by first expansion, when I think I will give it a real look and determine if the game is worth playing at all.

Who knows, lets hope eh !

FWIW its 10 times more engaging playing FF14 than it is FF11 with its shitty auto attack (think i will go make a roast dinner) gameplay.

Sure you can spam the same attack but any player worth playing with won't play like that .... i hope :S

Londa

Banned
Kintaro said:
I, uh, think you need to detach yourself from the game. Or something.

I'm not playing the game enough to be able to detach myself. I've only had 2 times to test the game and I was a alpha tester.

Kintaro said:
Most of the concerns that appear on this forum are by people who were FFXI players for many years. Many years. They would like to see a reason to come back and play with the friends they made. However, they see something that may prohibit them from doing so. It's a forum. They can vent the negatives if they want.

If one thing in FFXIV, just one thing, prevents them from playing. Then did they really want to play the game?
No game is perfect.

Kintaro said:
Again, no one is really talking about WoW (sans Alex who is comparing and contrasting). No reason to bring it up or be insecure about it. Reminds of terrible FFXI days.

My whole post was about the beta test forums and how people who are from WoW come there to troll the forums. They will usually say: in WoW its like this or describe what they want and it clearly screams, WoW cloning.

All I'm saying is that these people should go to the Cata testing forums not to FFXIV beta.

I'm just sick of all the complaining when I want news, not complain central. It sucks to want to read about what is new and all I find is people have a hissy fit when they, from the start, never liked the game to begin with.

Kintaro said:

I could replace WoW with Aion and have relatively the same point regarding pace. WoW is simply more ubiquitous.

I'm not a fan of "My game/my console is better than yours" discussion, but I'm aware that it's pretty hard not to read my comments as such. I just see this same "too slow/looks boring" sentiment spreading around the net for a game that hasn't even had its chance to prove itself yet. I see the popularity of games like World of Warcraft and Aion that have a different/faster approach to combat (unless you oversimplify it just so you can say "they're all the same essentially") and well, I'm sorry for connecting the dots. I don't intend to say "FFXIV's slower combat is superior to WoW with its mindless fast combat," but rather "I know you are used to faster combat in games like WoW and Aion, but please try not to be so quick to dismiss this simply because it's a different approach. It really is quite fun." However, I made some assumptions about people regarding their favored games and I apologize.

My experiences with combat in the beta have been anything but a snorefest, and the game plays like what I feel an RPG should play like. I just don't see how an ATB game with a fair amount of waiting in combat like, say FF6 or FF7 can be so universally loved, and yet a game with this sort of combat system gets so much crap. Maybe I shouldn't be reading youtube/gametrailers comments. :lol In any case, the disparity ther doesn't make much sense to me. The only cause that I can come up with is the ubiquitousness of a game like World of Warcraft.

There, that's my basis for bringing up the game. I've been around the FFXI community for a while though, so I should know what a horrible can of worms that is. My apologies.

Londa said:
What I don't get is when a person knows they dislike a certain type of game, they go out of their way to watch videos, screenshots, and read interviews and news on said game. Why?

But here is the kicker. They then search online for a forum or community that likes said game and then they tell everyone there that the game those people enjoy is crap and that it needs to be like the game they enjoy.

Why can't they just decide to play games that they enjoy and leave others do the same? Why tell people their type of game sucks and will fail when it clearly isn't from the large following?

WoW is getting a remake or whatever that Cata stuff is. Why not flock there instead of signing up for FFXIV beta and trolling the forums to prove to everyone that the game should be more like WoW?

edit:

It's a discussion forum, and nothing posted here is trolling. To be honest i bet a lot of people will look at those videos and agree that it looks like a snore-fest

If one thing in FFXIV, just one thing, prevents them from playing. Then did they really want to play the game?
No game is perfect.

Combat is a pretty fucking huge thing in an MMO

My whole post was about the beta test forums and how people who are from WoW come there to troll the forums.

Why should it bother you?, Wada has gone on record saying that he wants this to be a rival to WoW. I never played Final Fantasy XI but i was accepted into the beta presumably because they want to attract a wider crowd than before and hear their feedback.

Jinko

I think in some cases SE should be made to look what WoW is/has done.

I get the feeling that the programmers working on FF14 haven't got much of a clue about PC design and development, but what can you expect from a console developer.

At the end of the day though as developers go SE are one of the least innovative, so expecting this to be a grand step from FF11 is just being daft, thats something I have come to terms with :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Londa said:
No game is perfect.

Yes. They may have wanted to play the game. Yes, one thing may turn them off from it. Different strokes for different folks. What you can live with may not be something someone else can. Vice versa.

Your line of thinking is silly. There were many alternatives out there in terms of MMOs. Shen has many, many friends he wants to play with but he is not going to play a game he jive with to do that.

My whole post was about the beta test forums and how people who are from WoW come there to troll the forums. They will usually say: in WoW its like this or describe what they want and it clearly screams, WoW cloning.

All I'm saying is that these people should go to the Cata testing forums not to FFXIV beta.

I'm just sick of all the complaining when I want news, not complain central. It sucks to want to read about what is new and all I find is people have a hissy fit when they, from the start, never liked the game to begin with.

Say what you're referencing when you rant. Helps diffuse any confusion.

Your attention should be turned towards SE to get their game tested and ready for launch. They have two months until launch. If they have an anemic/buggy launch, WoW beta testers will be the least of our concerns.

gillty

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
It's a discussion forum, and nothing posted here is trolling. To be honest i bet a lot of people will look at those videos and agree that it looks like a snore-fest

Combat is a pretty fucking huge thing in an MMO

Why should it bother you?, Wada has gone on record saying that he wants this to be a rival to WoW. I never played Final Fantasy XI but i was accepted into the beta presumably because they want to attract a wider crowd than before and hear their feedback.
You should go watch level 1 WoW combat & let us know how exciting that is, because it isn't.

Jinko

I sometimes get the feeling people have been playing too many hack and slash games.

If FF14 gets much faster I'm not guna have time to think what i wana do for my next move. :lol

I do agree to some extent that the videos can look slow and monotonous but when you are actually playing it doesn't feel that way, assuming the lag isn't fucking your inputs up.

I'm just thinking a lot of the "too slow, too boring" crowd has played a turn-based or ATB-based RPG in their lives and liked it, yet this is slow and boring. This is what I don't understand. Can someone explain?

RuGalz

HappyBivouac said:
I'm just thinking a lot of the "too slow, too boring" crowd has played a turn-based or ATB-based RPG in their lives and liked it, yet this is slow and boring. This is what I don't understand. Can someone explain?

ATB or not, some offline FFs are faster than the others. All I want is this game to be on the faster side since there isn't going to be an option to speed it up.

I've played FFXI off and on since NA beta and have just permanently quit recently. It is the only MMO that I have stuck around for many reasons but pace has always been a problem in that game (and I am not just talking about pace of battles). FFXI team has learned a lot since initial release but what they have in FF14 so far looks disappointing. It takes for freaking ever for them to actually fix anything, if they don't get it right from the start, it's going to be a long wait.

Ploid 3.0

Sup Lone.

My FF14 wish list:

No deleting accounts if I have no reason to play for months and cancel the subscription for a while.

No bottlenecks with NMs, HNMs etc. If you have to make the drops even more rarer do so but not on things I have to spend money on trying (not battle supplies but a entrance fee).

Explain any kind of treasure hunter trait, not going to put up with the, "It's magical, we don't want to spoil it" excuse anymore SE.

If there is a way for gil sellers to enter this game and disrupt my experience in any way, allow me to kill them in 1,000 creative ways. There better be a BST class.

I would also like a speedier battle system, although I don't know all of the details on how you fight in this game. Do they now have it so you have to press a button for each normal attack? If not yeah I want a fast battle system. I remember the first time I saw a kraken ninja in FFXI. It blew my mind, then a few years later I got my own taste at that type of stuff with low delay daggers and other options. Speedy fighting is no problem to deal with if you know how to play, it actually more fun. Faster TP, faster damage, faster exp gaining, everything get's better you even get to think faster instead of waiting for something to happen.

Since this is the beta I'm sure it will speed up with different gear and spells I suppose. The music might even get more metal as well to accompany the new pace.

I think my solo wishes might be granted so far. Wonder if NMs, and other things will allow solo fights. Splitting gil is nice, but not having to split is so much more better.

Jinko

RuGalz said:
It takes for freaking ever for them to actually fix anything, if they don't get it right from the start, it's going to be a long wait.

They seem to fixing stuff fairly fast so far, alpha to beta had quite lot of new classes and graphical improvments, I think once they have the control system sorted the game will be looking pretty good.

RuGalz

Jinko said:
They seem to fixing stuff fairly fast so far, alpha to beta had quite lot of new classes and graphical improvments, I think once they have the control system sorted the game will be looking pretty good.

Uh, I'm familiar with game development cycle; those are not fixing the game, those are just natural progression of getting the game ready to ship. What takes forever to fix has always been fundamental design issues. They just added visual Utsusemi counter to FFXI after how many years?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ploid 3.0 said:
Sup Lone.

Sup Ploid

Still paying the fee, though I rarely pop in to do anything.

Still got that Axe you gave me when you left, though. That and the Bomb Core.

Ploid 3.0

Ha, that axe must be so useless by now. I just now looked up FFXI and what must be new. Exo and Abyssea came up. Seems like SE is still giving out carrots. Hope there are things to fight with all that gear, and that new level cap.

Are you past 75 btw? How is it?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ploid 3.0 said:
Ha, that axe must be so useless by now. I just now looked up FFXI and what must be new. Exo and Abyssea came up. Seems like SE is still giving out carrots. Hope there are things to fight with all that gear, and that new level cap.

Are you past 75 btw? How is it?

Heh, I've only made it to 75, last time I logged on. I have tried 0% of this new stuff.

Teknoman

I dont think there should be any combat system complaints pace wise. The battle system is pretty fast since it relies on a stamina gauge. Also it's really going to start getting active when you have to think about what side to attack from, especially since every professions has certain moves that may do more damage from the side/back/front, and enemies will have positional weaknesses.

Besides that, most of the videos arent going to be exciting...more informative than anything.

Really after playing it first hand, looking at all the quest/story improvements, and basic gameplay mechanics, it feels nothing like FFXI.

Yes, there are things that need improving, and they seem like they are on the right track, but the game is anything but XI HD...in its current form anyway. Alpha may have given a different impression.

Jinko

RuGalz said:
Uh, I'm familiar with game development cycle; those are not fixing the game, those are just natural progression of getting the game ready to ship. What takes forever to fix has always been fundamental design issues. They just added visual Utsusemi counter to FFXI after how many years?

Thing is you obviously have a lot of grievances with FF11 (I have plenty myself) yet say that you keep going back to it..... why ?

We are all aware of how stubborn and slow minded SE are, refer to my other post.

I just don't see the point of moaning for moaning sake, especially in a thread where people are excited for the game, you are just bringing others down with your negativity. (which is partly what Londa was getting at)

Khrno

Jinko said:
I sometimes get the feeling people have been playing too many hack and slash games.

I remember a few years ago how I wished this game were localized: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll_ZRMJ_fIQ Now, that's fast paced!

Valru said:
You should go watch level 1 WoW combat & let us know how exciting that is, because it isn't.

It's like people are expecting lv5 characters having amazing and flashy fights against some rat or fly. And there's not even need to name MMOs, but on normal RPGs, low level fights are dull and boring.

XIV beta might lack auto-attack, but it is far from being slow as it was during the alpha. I do thing that SE should make a combat trailer with high-level characters fighting a mission boss or some sort of HNM, to shut some mouths.

Ploid 3.0

Since I'm not in the beta I just want you guys to tell SE to make FF14 more awesome. Shoot my wish list at them. And no more AVs! Is it the Ebon Panels or what!!!

I do thing that SE should make a combat trailer with high-level characters fighting a mission boss or some sort of HNM, to shut some mouths.

Now that's a good idea, and no CG cutscene fights, gameplay. Also don't do cuts like that SE AV kill video to only show the good parts.

Khrno

Ploid 3.0 said:
Since I'm not in the beta I just want you guys to tell SE to make FF14 more awesome. Shoot my wish list at them. And no more AVs! Is it the Ebon Panels or what!!!

The Ebon Panels are obviously the key to easy beta invites.

Teknoman

With the freedom of the armory system/equipment + ability sharing, the way story quests, guildleves, normal requests are set up, as well as having voiced cutscenes, Uematsu score :)lol seriously) and super detailed journals...

I'd say its on its way. The abilities and...well everything in the menu, is pretty well explained. Except for the party search/recruit system.

We should make an FFXIV steam group.

Khrno

Don't worry, SE to the rescue:

[Planned Adjustments]

- Search and recruitment conditions will be adjusted to ease the process of seeking parties
- Navigation controls on the Attributes & Gear screen will be adjusted
- The directional keys to control the camera will be changed in order to improve gameplay using the keyboard

XIV won't be perfect, but it will be amazing.

RuGalz

Jinko said:
Thing is you obviously have a lot of grievances with FF11 (I have plenty myself) yet say that you keep going back to it..... why ?

We are all aware of how stubborn and slow minded SE are, refer to my other post.

I just don't see the point of moaning for moaning sake, especially in a thread where people are excited for the game, you are just bringing others down with your negativity. (which is partly what Londa was getting at)

Who's moaning for moaning sake? If I didn't care about the game I wouldn't even be reading this thread or trying it out on my friend's beta account. As I said, there are a lot of good things about FF11 pace was just not one of them. This is a new game so it's a chance to fix things they couldn't fix in FF11. And as I said in original post, I plan to re-evaluate the game when it's shipped or by the time of first expansion. Obviously the FF Defense Force don't want to hear any negativity about the game. Eh whatever floats your boat.

Teknoman

RuGalz said:
Who's moaning for moaning sake? If I didn't care about the game I wouldn't even be reading this thread or trying it out on my friend's beta account. As I said, there are a lot of good things about FF11 pace was just not one of them. This is a new game so it's a chance to fix things they couldn't fix in FF11. And as I said in original post, I plan to re-evaluate the game when it's shipped or by the time of first expansion. Obviously the FF Defense Force don't want to hear any negativity about the game. Eh whatever floats your boat.

Wait by pace do you mean the battle system or something else? Also for some reason I always though Shouta was Shenmu :lol

nickcv

nickcv said:
i still didn't get a beta invite, so i decided to start playing FF XI to get a taste of SE mmo skills.
:D

One thing that really bothers me is the looting system, did they make some improvement or change about it?

ok, i'm quoting myself XD

i know you guys probably didn't even notice my question, but did they improved a little bit the loot system? or it's still working in the same way?

Munba

Test Schedule

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 2:00 to Thursday, July 22, 2010 at 00:00 (GMT)

* We will be conducting maintenance on each world in order to further investigate the issue.
The following is the maintenance schedule for each world:

Shadowlord World and Garland World
  From July 21, 2010 at 6:00 to 8:00 (GMT)

Emperor World and Golbez World
  July 21, 2010 from 9:00 to 11:00 (GMT)

Exdeath World and Kefka World
  July 21, 2010 from 12:00 to 14:00 (GMT)

Sephiroth World and Ultimecia World
  July 21, 2010 from 15:00 to 17:00 (GMT)

Jecht World and Gabranth World
  July 21, 2010 from 18:00 to 20:00 (GMT)

..wait until wednesday. :( So i presume only 2 days next week? mmh..

RuGalz said:

It's not that the "FF Defense Force" doesn't want to hear negativity. It's that we're telling you from first hand experience that the pacing has been improved from ffxi.

You're trying the game on your friends account, but have you done so yet? You said that from the videos it appears they haven't fixed pacing issues from ffxi. People who have been playing beta are telling you that battles feel far more active and involved than they did in xi.

After trying beta the other day I logged onto ffxi and leveled my scholar from 1 to 3. After trying ffxiv's system it felt boring as heck. It's really come a long way and you won't be able to tell unless you try it, since watching doesn't capture the feeling of playing and just makes it look like ffxi all over again.

Teknoman

Jinko said:
Speaking of which do you still think they plan to have voiced cutscenes, so far its looking very unlikely.

The really important cutscenes? Sure. Nothing for the inbetween scenes, but for really important plot progression/plot twist scenes.

EDIT: Yeah, even when exping like crazy in Abyssea (FFXI new area), after coming from the beta early that day...it just felt slow. This feels like an even mix between XIII's speed and normal strategic turn based battles.

Plus i'm a little biased because Uematsu + anything that has to do with fighting = a better experience :lol

Munba said:
..wait until Wednesday. :( So i presume only 2 days next week? mmh..

Wait so new test scheduled for Wednesday along with maintenance?

notworksafe

Yep, can't wait!

PDT times:
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. to Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. (PDT)

* We will be conducting maintenance on each world in order to further investigate the issue.
The following is the maintenance schedule for each world:

Shadowlord World and Garland World
  From July 20, 2010 at 11:00 p.m. to July 21, 2010 at 1:00 a.m. (PDT)

Emperor World and Golbez World
  July 21, 2010 from 2:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. (PDT)

Exdeath World and Kefka World
  July 21, 2010 from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. (PDT)

Sephiroth World and Ultimecia World
  July 21, 2010 from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. (PDT)

Jecht World and Gabranth World
  July 21, 2010 from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. (PDT)

Teknoman

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 9:00 p.m. to Wednesday, July 21, 2010 at 7:00 p.m CST?

Wow thats a long test :lol

EDIT: Damn it, hits Shadowlord early on. Whats with the maintenance times? Also see that its just another normal 10hr.

Jinko

So long to wait.. the waiting is worse than when i wasn't in the beta :S

I supposed when maintenance hits we can all start another character on a different server for 2 hours.

Might be a good time to get some gatherering/crafting testing in.

Teknoman

Well on the bright side, we'll be able to get the chance to try out higher level guildleves.

Who gives out behests? Normal NPCs? Also I saw an NPC standing in front of a cave, but couldnt figure out how to get to it. Couldnt make out if it was a hyur or elezen.

Jinko

Teknoman said:
Well on the bright side, we'll be able to get the chance to try out higher level guildleves.

Who gives out behests? Normal NPCs? Also I saw an NPC standing in front of a cave, but couldnt figure out how to get to it. Couldnt make out if it was a hyur or elezen.

The yellowjackets give out the behest quests, you have to be quick as they are random spawns and normally spaw close to the camps.

Saw one at Skull Rock but you needed to be in a party between physical lvl 20-30.

Teknoman said:
Plus i'm a little biased because Uematsu + anything that has to do with fighting = a better experience :lol

That's not a personal bias. That's indisputable fact.

Ferrio said:
Really wish I could test this out..... stupid ATI.

Huh? What card do you have? Did you try running it?

MCX

Banned
What world does GAF play on? My first time playing will be on Tuesday.

Updating this game is taking forever. :/

Edit: I installed Win7 Ultimate x64 today but FFXIV installed to my x86 programs folder. Is there going to be x64 support when it launches?

Ploid 3.0

Teknoman said:
Wait by pace do you mean the battle system or something else? Also for some reason I always though Shouta was Shenmu :lol

Haha. I was surprised to find out Lenneth was Shouta on these forums when I found out. I remember him doing a lot of JP game reviews and being a vip Gaffer. Still don't know why Hogashi and Nightwing don't have a gaf account. They can't enter the FFXI forums and stuff.

Jinko

MCX said:
Edit: I installed Win7 Ultimate x64 today but FFXIV installed to my x86 programs folder. Is there going to be x64 support when it launches?

Unlikely, doubt it will matter much either way tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom