• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Teknoman said:
I just hope they make the battle music constant, as long as you or someone in your party in engaged with something, like in XI.

EDIT: Heres three battle themes i've heard in beta so far:

Normal battle theme

Guildleve battle theme #1

Beneath bloody borders, Guildleve battle theme #2

Seriously. This shit is so good. I listened a lot of my own music while playing FFXI and other MMO's, but I think I'll never disable the FFXIV music :lol These songs get me so pumped up when grinding, even though my framerate is below shitty.

Salaadin

Recently reformatted and put the benchmark on my SSD:

1080p:
6j296u.jpg

720:
2zhmss7.jpg

I was shocked at the jump. Prior to this, 1080p was 3600 and 720p was 3700. I got another 350 points on 1080p and 1600 on 720p.

I have no idea if there was a startup program in the background causing problems before though. I had some shit on there that I didnt need and startup was becoming a mess. Im keeping much better track of that shit this time around.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Salaadin said:
Recently reformatted and put the benchmark on my SSD:

I was shocked at the jump. Prior to this, 1080p was 3600 and 720p was 3700. I got another 350 points on 1080p and 1600 on 720p.

I have no idea if there was a startup program in the background causing problems before though. I had some shit on there that I didnt need and startup was becoming a mess. Im keeping much better track of that shit this time around.

Couldnt the score increase be just because you're running it on an SSD now and thus it loads a lot faster?

NeoForte

yea my scores on my iMac 27" i7 with a Radeon 4850 512MB were 1448 for 1080p and 2800 for 720p. 1080p didn't do so bad really. It slowed down a lot during the rainy parts but over all it held a solid 30fps or so. 720p I saw above 60fps, but above 30fps on the rainy parts.

Salaadin

Osaka said:
Couldnt the score increase be just because you're running it on an SSD now and thus it loads a lot faster?

Yeah. I expected increases but not by that much. My 1080p one didnt see much of a jump to really make much of a difference.

720p is another story though. On my old build, it was scoring practically the same as 1080p and I couldnt get it to crank out any higher. It was weird to me how running at a lower res didnt really do too much for the performance.

Now on the SSD, I got 1600 points like nothing. I didnt really expect it.

LowParry

Salaadin said:

Those are beefy numbers. What 5800 card you got? And have you overclocked any of your GPU or CPU?

LowParry

Kuro268 said:
Judging by his CPU and his score on high - I'm going to assume 5870?

That's just it. My CPU is a 3.0 while his is a 2.7. Unless Intel does it better with CPU usage. And I have a 5850 card. Surely it can't be that big of a significant difference?

desa

Nakazato said:
anyone using a 9800 gt ??

Im think between that and 5670

I am. Runs pretty well. Hell everything in my computer is old and dated (old asrock motherboard and a athlon 64 X2 6000+) save for the Power supply :lol Surprisingly, it holds up and is really playable with most of the graphical settings on and even with AA. Steady 20-30 fps out in the open fields. Dips below that when in town or when there's a lot of players around.

I'm upgrading though. Figured this would be a good time. Just ordered a new motherboard, a phenom II X4 940, and a GTX 460.

Emonk

Banned
Got my Phenom II X6 OCd to 3.7 GHz today, benchmark came in at 4556 at 720p with a Radeon HD 5770. Probably won't mess around with the CPU anymore because I was able to get to that speed without messing around with voltages.

LowParry

Salaadin said:
i5 750
ATI 5850
4GBs Ram

Everything is running at stock speeds and settings.

Hrm. Odd that you have those high numbers when I have a little more than you. Very very odd.

What I have is:

ATI 5850 Sapphire Toxic
Phenom II 940 BE
8GB Ram.

GPU I have overclocked cause that's how it came as a custom. Stock on the CPU. Guess I'm going to have to do some investigating on my rig. Hell. I may consider just upgrading my Mobo, CPU and Ram. Probably a new case as well.

Edit: Has there always been one version of the benchmark or are there older versions?

LowParry

Very strange. I think I'll look into doing a small bit of OC'ing my CPU but that's it. Maybe I can get to 3.4 or something on the safe level of things.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
So Tek, here's something to compare with your new rig.

At 1080p (1920x1080) I score a 3760 with a load out of 19852 ms. I should probably look into doing a safe overclock of my CPU since that's the highest one I can unless I replace my Mobo for the upgrade. We have pretty similar rigs aside that I have the better GPU, but you have the better CPU.

Anyone know of a good place to start looking into safe OC with CPU's?

Sidenote: I wonder if the ATI issue is within the benchmark or not.

Only hit low 2k on the 1080p test.

Nakazato

desa said:
I am. Runs pretty well. Hell everything in my computer is old and dated (old asrock motherboard and a athlon 64 X2 6000+) save for the Power supply :lol Surprisingly, it holds up and is really playable with most of the graphical settings on and even with AA. Steady 20-30 fps out in the open fields. Dips below that when in town or when there's a lot of players around.

I'm upgrading though. Figured this would be a good time. Just ordered a new motherboard, a phenom II X4 940, and a GTX 460.
wanna sell me you 9800gt :lol :lol

Jijidasu

Finally got my new desktop all sorted out and ran the benchmark.

Specs are as so:
ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.4Ghz (Soft OC (via ASUS TurboV software)
Kingston 6GB DDR1333
WD 1TB 7200RPM SATA
ASUS nVidia GTX480 @ 900/1800/2100 (I'm a bit of a nub with OCing but I upped the core voltage to 1.188 which may/may not have an effect. If it does though, can someone explain why?)
Antec DF-30 case (extreme cooling!)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

At first I only hit around 3800 at 1080p which didn't look right at all checked again and I noticed I hadn't updated drivers.. during which time I spent a bit of time in MSI afterburner tweaking the card to get the right kind of score.

Eventually hit 5116 in the 1080p test. Haven't checked low yet on these settings but at first it was around 6000.

bench.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Autumn Thread said:
Finally got my new desktop all sorted out and ran the benchmark.

Specs are as so:
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3.4Ghz (Soft OC (via ASUS TurboV software)
ASUS nVidia GTX480 @ 900/1800/2100 (I'm a bit of a nub with OCing but I upped the core voltage to 1.188 which may/may not have an effect. If it does though, can someone explain why?)
Simple answer: MORE POWER
Longer answer: Computers determine the value of a 0 and 1 as a range of voltage. By increasing that voltage for a given operating specification you can allow a wider range of leniency to the clock rate and make it work faster (overclocking). You can't continually push the voltage/clock rate as it consumes exponential power and generates much more heat and will eventually stop working all together if the voltage or temperature (this raises internal resistance) get too high.

Also I highly suggest you manually set your overclock in the BIOS.

Jijidasu

Hazaro said:
Simple answer: MORE POWER
Longer answer: Computers determine the value of a 0 and 1 as a range of voltage. By increasing that voltage for a given operating specification you can allow a wider range of leniency to the clock rate and make it work faster (overclocking). You can't continually push the voltage/clock rate as it consumes exponential power and generates much more heat and will eventually stop working all together if the voltage or temperature (this raises internal resistance) get too high.

Also I highly suggest you manually set your overclock in the BIOS.

Great! Thanks for clearing that up.

I just went into BIOS and manually set the overclock at core Mhz 155 which is around 3.41Ghz. The rest is on auto which is good for me, I'm dead scared I'll blow up my house haha.

desa

MCX said:
Hazaro, PC builders: How well would one of these "econobox" PCs run FFXIV? I'd like to have a few friends of mine play alongside me but their computers just aren't up to snuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180497929255&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for your help.

Exceeds minimum requirements. Read what I wrote a few posts above and throughout this thread. The build is similar to my current rig. It's playable with that set up. Possibly overclock both the cpu and gpu for a little boost.

LowParry

I should be able to boost my score once I get my new heatsink so that I can OC my 940. Should bump it from 3.0 to 3.7.

MCX said:
Hazaro, PC builders: How well would one of these "econobox" PCs run FFXIV? I'd like to have a few friends of mine play alongside me but their computers just aren't up to snuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180497929255&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks for your help.

That should be alright at a min spec of things. Maybe score in the 2000's with the benchmark with the 720p setting.

Jinko

I have shifted my beta folder to a second HDD, think it should help with the loading speed a lot, which I think what was causing some of my slow down issues on Tues/Thur.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MCX said:

Thanks for your help.
Athlon X2 5600+ 2.8 GHz Dual-Core CPU
Asus Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
I wouldn't think it would run well at all. Outdated CPU (you really want a quad) and slower than a 8800GT graphics.
If the budget can be stretched to $550 you have a LOT more room to work with.

Desa says otherwise so who knows. The game runs terribly on my 3.8Ghz Core2Duo + GTX 260. I get around an average of 18 fps.
And the 8800GTS (640MB) is quite slower than a 9800GT.

Coldsnap said:
dang still down

Yeah. As a serious answer, the servers were down for most of Thursday, when they were up, most people couldn't log in, and Saturday/Sunday test times were cancelled.

So nothing happened, really.

Teknoman

Mister Zimbu said:

:lol on point.

Anyway, the next test begins tomorrow evening, with maintenance occurring in between testing times for all servers. Some servers have the maintenance at later times than others.

desa

Hazaro said:
I wouldn't think it would run well at all. Outdated CPU (you really want a quad) and slower than a 8800GT graphics.
If the budget can be stretched to $550 you have a LOT more room to work with.

Desa says otherwise so who knows. The game runs terribly on my 3.8Ghz Core2Duo + GTX 260. I get around an average of 18 fps.
And the 8800GTS (640MB) is quite slower than a 9800GT.

Are you getting steady 30fps during instances? How about in the battlefield? Cause with my setup, it runs real smooth in instances and certain areas far away from town. I'm not sure how much of a difference a slightly weaker gpu and cpu will fare and both mine are overclocked. I scored about a 2200 on low. Try and find more people running similar setups and get their feedback MCX.

MCX

Banned
Thanks for your responses, desa, CcrooK, Hazaro. I may expand my budget and come back around launch time and ask for your opinions on my final build. I appreciate all the help from PC-GAF.

I have a few questions before jumping into the beta for the first time tomorrow:

Where does GAF suggest to start out my adventuring? Is there a choice between three nations a la FFXI?

Any tips for a beginner dragoon/lancer? Do I begin with enough gil to buy armor/an upgraded polearm or do I need to farm at first?

What are some good mobs to fight right off the bat? Are any other GAFers' first times going to be tomorrow that wanna {Team up?} :p

How can I find you guys? Has anybody created a linkshell or designated a meetup locale?

OK, maybe that's more than just a few questions but I'm going into this game absolutely clueless. Any help's appreciated. :D

LowParry

MCX said:
Thanks for your responses, desa, CcrooK, Hazaro. I may expand my budget and come back around launch time and ask for your opinions on my final build. I appreciate all the help from PC-GAF.

I have a few questions before jumping into the beta for the first time tomorrow:

Where does GAF suggest to start out my adventuring? Is there a choice between three nations a la FFXI?

Any tips for a beginner dragoon/lancer? Do I begin with enough gil to buy armor/an upgraded polearm or do I need to farm at first?

What are some good mobs to fight right off the bat? Are any other GAFers' first times going to be tomorrow that wanna {Team up?} :p

How can I find you guys? Has anybody created a linkshell or designated a meetup locale?

OK, maybe that's more than just a few questions but I'm going into this game absolutely clueless. Any help's appreciated. :D

A lot those questions can't be answered just yet. As soon as we get closer to release, the more info we'll have in terms of what server we'll be on, how to get our "guild" up and running, etc. A lot of the beginning phases are pretty straight forward. You have your story questing, as well as field questing that are optional for solo or group play. Rats seems to be the popular monster to kill if you're just looking to grind out exp. For now though, a lot of what we don't has yet not been shown/adapted in game through our beta testing. Hopefully we'll see an open beta at the beginning of Sept. so that everyone can see and learn what they want to do before official release. If not, we'll try and pump out as much info here as possible.

Jinko

MCX said:

You can only start at Limsa Lominsa in the Beta.

You start with 0 gil and will need to do several guildleves to get some money, you start with gear and a weapon which will last you for a while.

Join the Ventrilo server on the OP, we use this to text chat at the moment as there is no guild/linkshell chat.

Vent details http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22396974&postcount=1292

Teknoman

I hope there will be some pre lvl 10 stuff since there are releasing crafting recipes. Shouldnt have to wait that long to upgrade weapons, beta or not. Armor is cool since guildleves randomly reward you with stuff.

Kuro268

Neo Member
They need to change that. Getting mage gear while doing guildleves on Glad is just depressing. lol Suggested they allowed you to choose between 3 rewards (dps, tank, mage) for battlecraft leves. Just hope they listen.

Teknoman

Kuro268 said:
They need to change that. Getting mage gear while doing guildleves on Glad is just depressing. lol Suggested they allowed you to choose between 3 rewards (dps, tank, mage) for battlecraft leves. Just hope they listen.

That would be nice.

Teknoman

From FFXIV core:

Jeux Video interview translated:

Tanaka -

"I worked on Final Fantasy XI for 8 years. I was able to collect a lot of feedback and testimonials of MMORPG players. But I also heard many moving stories from the players. A lot of things happened between them. So I had a great pleasure in working on a new MMORPG and I will be able to hear many new stories written through the game.

We do not try to compete with World of Warcraft. We really want to convince the fans of Final Fantasy who have never played an MMORPG. But also show to casual gamers that MMORPGs are very exciting to play. We really hope that Final Fantasy XIV will be a good first experience for those new players.

With this title we want to bring new players to the MMORPG experience, so we spent a lot of time to manage the play time. We know that MMORPGs can consume a lot of time for players. We have therefore created the "Guild Leaves" and an armory which will allow players to use their playing time effectively. This is one of the main novelties of this Final Fantasy XIV.

We really wanted to make quests less repetitive as possible for players. In Final Fantasy XI, when you were done with a quest, it was not meant to be repeated. Instead in Final Fantasy XIV we really want the players to repeat them as many times as they want. Attempts are being made to make these quests as pleasant as possible so that players do not feel bored.

The development of Final Fantasy XIV occupies all my time, so I do not have time to play other games. I am therefore sorry to say that the last game that pleased me as a player is Final Fantasy XI.

We have not yet anything in mind to the Playstation Plus members. You'll have the traditional achievments for all players, but nothing special for Playstation Plus members. "

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Teknoman said:
We really wanted to make quests less repetitive as possible for players. In Final Fantasy XI, when you were done with a quest, it was not meant to be repeated. Instead in Final Fantasy XIV we really want the players to repeat them as many times as they want.

Uh... :lol

Teknoman

Osaka said:
Uh... :lol

lol yeah I see what you mean ( dont want it to be repetitive, but want people to repeat things). However, it went from Japanese -> French -> English so maybe something got lost in translation? I guess they just mean guildleves and how easy it is to just grab one from the guild, teleport, do whats needed, and get rewarded. Or doing away with stuff that only gives you a certain rare/ex item, and you can never do it again for another item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom