• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khrno

Munba said:

So 7 fighting classes and 11 crafters/gathereres? :lol

Oh man, I'm starting to think like LaneDS now. Guess it won't be until probably the PS3 release when we'll get more real jobs.

6 months of paid-beta indeed.

Edit: the article doesn't say anything about just being 18 classes, it just says there's new artwork for those 18 classes that will be available at release. Re-reading comprehension ftw

Salaadin

Khrno said:

Oh man, I'm starting to think like LaneDS now. Guess it won't be until probably the PS3 release when we'll get more real jobs.

Edit: the article doesn't say anything about just being 18 classes, it just says there's new artwork for those 18 classes that will be available at release. Re-reading comprehension ftw

Keep in mind that even the crafters and gatherers are supposed to have roles in battle now. You dont need to be a fighter in order to fight.

Jinko

Munba said:
Confirmed 18 classes for the release:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/22/ffxiv_classes/

Not bad but i wished 1 or 2 more mage ones (with haste, invisibility and other kind of spells). Maybe the'll add in the next months after release.

Woodworker and Leathercrafter (Tanner) are seperate classes, not heard anything about Armourer either, although it seems blacksmith can only make weapons in the beta.

Edit nevermind it lists Woodworker twice :S

So the only 2 classes still missing from beta are Goldsmith and Armourer.

Personally I don't care there are only 7 classes, better to have 7 well balanced classes than 15 thats aren't, besides Khrno you kind of missing the point of the armoury system you can mix and match to make different subclasses well at least thats what SE are aiming for.

People actually think that this childish stuff is funny?

Only cause its partially true.

notworksafe

Salaadin said:
Keep in mind that even the crafters and gatherers are supposed to have roles in battle now. You dont need to be a fighter in order to fight.
Have you tried fighting as the professions classes? "Throw Rock" is not the coolest spell.

Khrno

Salaadin said:

Weaver special ability: 1000 Needles. Confirmed.

Teknoman

Khrno said:

Whats wrong with the class number at start? Even without mixing class abilities, you see to have some pretty versatile stuff. Armor wise, decent amount of stuff that everyone can wear, certain disciplines can wear, or just specific jobs in general.

Munba said:
Confirmed 18 classes for the release:
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/07/22/ffxiv_classes/

Not bad but i wished 1 or 2 more mage ones (with haste, invisibility and other kind of spells). Maybe the'll add in the next months after release.

Well we dont know the full spell, ability, or trait list for either. So thats still possible with the current two.

EDIT: I guess the armor shown at andriasang is job exclusive stuff? That conjurer hat looks like a normal hempen hat synthed with purple dye and some metal add on, so i'm not sure.

LowParry

As the article states:

"Classes are divided into four categories: Fighter, Sorcerer, Gatherer and Crafter. Here's a look at the default set of 18. More classes are scheduled to be added following the start of service."

So more than 18. Maybe like in XI where you have to do (or used to) some chain quests to gain the new class?

notworksafe

Einbroch said:
I really, really want to love this game, but this thread is a huge downer. Come on SE, don't make me cancel my preorder.
Hey now! I'm the biggest "downer" in this thread and I've still got my preorder! I think everyone here wants the game to be awesome. Some people just have more concerns about it than others.

Teknoman

Einbroch said:
I really, really want to love this game, but this thread is a huge downer. Come on SE, don't make me cancel my preorder.

How so? Aside from the not having a decent mouse/keyboard control set up (i cant comment since i've just been using my 360 controller, and mouse at times to check what status icons mean) and server issues (which the cause of that issue was the tons of people logging into the same area at once), there really isnt much thats an interest killer.

Maybe i'm just really hyped about the game since it seems to have more of a Final Fantasy feel than XI did.

Khrno

Teknoman said:
Whats wrong with the class number at start? Even without mixing class abilities, you see to have some pretty versatile stuff. Armor wise, decent amount of stuff that everyone can wear, certain disciplines can wear, or just specific jobs in general.

So you think that 2 mage classes have enough variety? Granted I can see people taking one of the other and customize it as a blm, whm or rdm.

But still on paper it just seems like a little bit lacking on options, maybe with a hands-on that impression would change and be good enough until further updates.

Maybe i'm just really hyped about the game since it seems to have more of a Final Fantasy feel than XI did.

I don't know what are your comparison standards, but what is supposed to be a FF? Up to 6 the 'feeling' was very similar among them, then Nomura came in and fucked up everything, and since then they are even more dissimilar everytime.

Einbroch

Banned
Teknoman said:
How so? Aside from ... server issues (which the cause of that issue was the tons of people logging into the same area at once)
What do you think launch day is going to be like? :lol

I don't know, but it's usually a bad sign when a company can't even keep up a very tightly controlled beta test.

Teknoman

Khrno said:
So you think that 2 mage classes have enough variety? Granted I can see people taking one of the other and customize it as a blm, whm or rdm.

But still on paper it just seems like a little bit lacking on options, maybe with a hands-on that impression would change and be good enough until further updates.

I don't know what are your comparison standards, but what is supposed to be a FF? Up to 6 the 'feeling' was very similar among them, then Nomura came in and fucked up everything, and since then they are even more dissimilar everytime.

Well normally no, but looking at how Conjurer works ( its pretty much like a Black mage/ White mage, and possibly Red mage buff spells since we dont know the full spell/ability/ trait list yet) It seems like you would be able to play it as you wanted. Since everything has AP cost to set, aside from default skills, you'll probably be restricted on what area you want to specialize in at that time. Full healer, nuker, or mix of both.

Same for the Thaumaturge and it's light(holy)/dark/debuff specialties. All the current classes seem to be able to serve multiple purposes, so it makes sense that there arent so many at launch.

As far as what an FF should feel like, for some reason XIV gives me that IV-VI and IX feeling, and while i've enjoyed other FF games, those 4 are the ones I feel really represent what an FF game should be like. A mix of normal fantasy and sci-fi high tech stuff.

Einbroch said:

I don't know, but it's usually a bad sign when a company can't even keep up a very tightly controlled beta test.

I'd think it would be alot better with 3 decent sized cities, and no scheduled playtimes (since everyone is forced to play at the same times if they want to play at all in current beta).

Amneisac

Einbroch said:

There are going to be some seriously pissed people when servers are down 75% of the time for those first eight days of CE exclusivity.

I, of course, will be among those very angry people.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Einbroch said:

Honestly launch days for MMOs are usually shitty anyway. I havnt seen the recent ones but they always tend to break the login servers or registration servers

Amneisac

Teknoman said:
I'd think it would be alot better with 3 decent sized cities, and no scheduled playtimes (since everyone is forced to play at the same times if they want to play at all in current beta).

They know exactly what the maximum number of possible players right now is and they can't still get people logged in properly. Besides that, with global servers, there's never really a 'down' time.

Jinko

Maybe they been simulating DoS attacks.

Lets not forget here that when WoW went live it also had massive problems, at one stage they went 4 days with no server at all.

Yes launch day/week is guna be a mess, whether you will have the stomache for that is up for you to decide.

notworksafe

When WoW went live it was 2005 and Blizzard had zero experience running an MMO. Not so with SQE. When/If WoW2 goes into Beta and has server problems like this, I'll be bitching in the exact same way.

chris-013

Einbroch said:

I already canceled my preorder... I'm waiting for guild wars 2 now, it seems it's the last hope for the MMORPG genre. :lol

LaneDS

chris-013 said:
I already canceled my preorder... I'm waiting for guild wars 2 now, it seems it's the last hope for the MMORPG genre. :lol

Not the thread for it, but is Guild Wars 2 actually an MMORPG?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Credits to beta thread.

Cojurer abilities so far. (til level 20)

Conjurer (Complete)

Rank 0: Tranquility, Spirit Dart, Fire, Blizzard, Lightning, Water, Stone, Aero
Rank 2: Trance Chant
Rank 4: Cure
Rank 6: Stoneskin
Rank 8: Repose, Shock Spikes
Rank 10: Profundity, Levinbolt
Rank 12: Burn, Frost, Shock, Drown, Rasp, Choke
Rank 14: Soughspeak
Rank 16: Protect, Shell
Rank 18: Spirit Bind
Rank 20: Cure II

Thaumaturge

Rank 0: Exaltation, Phantom Dart, Scourge, Banish
Rank ?: Blood Rite
Rank ?: Sacrifice
Rank ?: Poison
Rank ?: Slow
Rank ?: Gravity
Rank ?: Bio
Rank ?: Dia
Rank ?: Numbing Rime
Rank ?: Punishing Barb
Rank ?: Stygian Spikes
Rank ?: Absorb ATK
Rank ?: Absorb DEF
Rank ?: Absorb ACC
Rank ?: Absorb EVA
Rank ?: Absorb TP
Rank ?: Dark Seal
Rank ?: Sacrifice II
Rank ?: Siphon MP

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
Not the thread for it, but is Guild Wars 2 actually an MMORPG?

Sorta, I think this time they cut back on having so many instanced areas.

EDIT: Gromph, was that at the EU site or NA site?

LaneDS

XIV has so much potential. If they take their time, I have no doubts it'll be amazing. In the interests of a delay, I hope the beta woes continue so Square gives themselves proper time to have a stable, fun launch for everyone.

Beta is rough, certainly. So long as they're learning from and reacting to their mistakes properly,all will be well.

notworksafe

Salaadin said:
If FF14 fails, Im not sure what Im going to do. I have the MMO bug now thanks to it.
Fail? Doubtful. There are plenty of niche MMOs out there that do just fine without failing. If EQ1/UO/Anarchy/Lineage/SW:G are still running, FFXIV is going to be just fine.

I can count on one hand the number of "big" MMOs that have actually failed.

If FFXIV fails I will probably play DC Universe Online. I don't see FFXIV failing though but I will not be surprised if it have a slow start.

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
Sorta, I think this time they cut back on having so many instanced areas.

EDIT: Gromph, was that at the EU site or NA site?

NA site. Gonna paste all the abilities for all jobs tomorrow morning, also upload a new SquareEnix.rar file with the last last update. :)

Gromph

Staff Member
Thanks teckno!!! :)

Good morning.

It's seenm they updated the info about the problems, or i missread on first place. now it say.

Since that time, we have made progress in narrowing down the causes of these problems, and are carrying out server restructuring and internal stress tests to improve the situation. Our current aim is to have scheduled beta tests taking place again as normal beginning on July 24.

So i hope test for tomorrow!

Teknoman

Yup:

In this post we would like to elaborate on the reasons why it was necessary to cut short the beta test of July 21, and also introduce to testers the plans in place for the upcoming beta tests.

During the beta test of July 21, the game servers were functioning in relatively good order. However, due to the increase in the number of testers since July 15, server loads rose significantly as well, causing troubles when players attempted to log in or change zones in-game. Ultimately, this resulted in an inability for us to provide a satisfactory testing environment, and so the beta test was ended prematurely.

Since that time, we have made progress in narrowing down the causes of these problems, and are carrying out server restructuring and internal stress tests to improve the situation. Our current aim is to have scheduled beta tests taking place again as normal beginning on July 24.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused testers, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Heres hoping for a long test this Saturday...with a smooth login process.

Burli

Pringo
I'm still really curious as to why crafters are now classed as separate classes. I've only ever had experience with FFXI in terms of MMO's - but this just seems crazy to me.

Are they trying to convince players that it's okay to play the game solely as a crafter and trying to provide a more rewarding experience? For instance - do the crafting classes level up as they craft?

LowParry

Looks like on July 26th, ATI 10.7 is coming out. Optimistic on possible, yet very highly doubtful minor fixes with any issues with this client.

Munba

Beta testing for FINAL FANTASY XIV will be conducted follows:

Test Schedule

Saturday, July 24, 2010 at 2:00 a.m. to Sunday, July 25, 2010 at 0:00 a.m. (GMT)
* Testers from all regions may log in during the above times.

Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom