• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

It's still a mess in town, but does seem to be better than it was last Tuesday.

I expect the next patch will fix the ATI problem.

good morning queue test.... er i mean beta testers. i went to bed last night after i started to get the (30002)1279720886,0,5 server errors.

oddly enough this morning i got put into the shadowlord queue and the number has actually changed, i don't remember that ever happening before.

Amneisac

Are they somehow just trying to get an idea of how their existing hardware performance is going to scale with server loads or something? I don't understand how you can send a specific number of invites to a beta and then not be able to handle the login requests. This seems like a very bad sign to me, especially coming from a team that already has all this experience in the MMO field. Are they just completely inept or is this somehow a genius move to try to get their server loads balanced as efficiently as possible at launch? I'm seriously reconsidering my CE preorder because it sounds like I won't be able to fucking login during those eight days anyway with how things are going.

Finally got in, and I'm really impressed by what I've seen so far. A lot of it's choking on my ATI card, but even with the patch I'm probably a little too underpowered for the graphics at their current level.

gillty

Banned
Sounds like I was lucky to get 2 hours in last night of smooth gameplay, sucks that they cancelled the last 10 hours but the testing times sucked anyways :p

Salaadin

Jinko said:
It's still a mess in town, but does seem to be better than it was last Tuesday.

I expect the next patch will fix the ATI problem.

Thanks. Ill be keeping my fingers crossed.

Beta cancelled again? Wtf!

MCX

Banned
Zomba and I discovered a fortress by the sea hidden in a steep mountain gorge right before we were booted.

Teknoman: Great pics from last night. It was fun partying with you and the Zombster.

Zomba13

MCX said:
Zomba and I discovered a fortress by the sea hidden in a steep mountain gorge right before we were booted.
We were so close! I thin if we didn't waste time trying to get to Umbra Isles we would have made it there. Got a pic of it and of the beach though.

desu

Zomba13 said:
We were so close! I thin if we didn't waste time trying to get to Umbra Isles we would have made it there. Got a pic of it and of the beach though.

Will you upload them :D?

Zomba13

desu said:
Will you upload them :D?
Yup. Watching the GiantBomb ghost trick quick look but will upload all I took when I blank out the names and junk.

Uploading to my photobucket now. 26MB worth. Will make a new post for them.

nickcv

my bf tried it on his 2009 MacBook Pro today (256 mb nvidia 9600 GT).

The game was totally playable, there was no lag at any time, but when there were a lot of players around an aetheryte (about 40 people), or when loading the center of the town, but there wasn't much lag (it was just a 1 second hiccup) , and the game was still completely playable.

He didn't have any trouble in combat either.

The boat video played even smoother then on the benchmark (he got a 900 score btw)

nickcv

here are the pics:
MBP 2009 nvidia 9600 GT 256 mb, 2 gb ram.
benchmark: 900

the screen look much worse then what we were seeing in the screen.
We took them with the windows image capture program (win 7)

29xzxy.jpg

256copz.jpg

343rupy.jpg

nickcv said:
my bf tried it on his 2009 MacBook Pro today (256 mb nvidia 9600 GT).

The game was totally playable, there was no lag at any time, but when there were a lot of players around an aetheryte (about 40 people), or when loading the center of the town, but there wasn't much lag (it was just a 1 second hiccup) , and the game was still completely playable.

He didn't have any trouble in combat either.

The boat video played even smoother then on the benchmark (he got a 900 score btw)

This is great news. Still have to get around to trying this out myself but I scored a 901 and your pics look fine for what I want. All I need is something to hold me over to the PS3. And who knows, I might stick with this version in the end.

Zomba13

Ohai gais! Look at these random pictures I found!

Beach with Giant Enemy Crabs
Untitled11.png

Super secret beach port (most likely used by smugglers an pirates :O)
Untitled10.png

Ohai! Nice Tiny Dormouse.
Untitled7.png

Nightwolf! FUCK YEAH!
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled6.png

Jellyfish! And part of the beta window and Paint! Professional!
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled5.png

Tower! Campaign tower?
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled4.png

Raining at camp :(
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled3.png

DEMON FLOWER!
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled2.png

Aeterite
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitled.png

A group pic
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/rjptopujg.png

*Thumbs up*
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/gftygf.png

Badass
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/fdgdfgdgdr.png

Dat view!
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/dsfewsdf.png

Group pic 2
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/231123w.png

Oh yeah. Guns are cool.
http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac270/zomba13/ffxiv/Untitfdgled.png

EDIT: All pics taken with printscreen then saved as png in paint. running on a GTX285 with a 2.66GHz i7 920 and 6GB of ram. Ran smooth apart from the lag (yellow connection at pretty much all times)

Settings were:
Ambient Occlusion on
Depth of Field off
1440x900
2x multisampling
buffer size = window size
high shadows *

*I assume these were the settings. I mean it's what it looks like to me.

nickcv

DoctorWho said:
This is great news. Still have to get around to trying this out myself but I scored a 901 and your pics look fine for what I want. All I need is something to hold me over to the PS3. And who knows, I might stick with this version in the end.

the screenshot look worse then what we were actually seeing on the screen to be honest ^^

We took them with the windows 7 image capture program.
Believe me, these screens do not make justice to what were seeing on screen ^^

nickcv said:
the screenshot look worse then what we were actually seeing on the screen to be honest ^^

We took them with the windows 7 image capture program.
Believe me, these screens do not make justice to what were seeing on screen ^^

Thanks. Good news!

Jinko

You guys do realise that this game has to be basically ready in 6 weeks. :lol

Doesn't seem like they have done anything to the game since thursday, no patch, servers still broke.

Launch day is guna be very interesting/boring/infuriating.

LaneDS

Jinko said:

Doesn't seem like they have done anything to the game since thursday, no patch, servers still broke.

Let's hope they have a second boring and unpopulated zone for us to run around in too!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:

I keep popping into the beta thread for encouraging news, but there's little to be found except varying degrees of success in logging in and then beta test cancellations. SE is lucky there's really no MMO websites who give a shit to cover this beta. Otherwise, the backlash would be rather harsh.

Teknoman

Im sure things will be fine content wise. I just hope the servers are up to par and the performance bugs are fixed. When in game, I had no problems with anything aside from performance in town, and getting kicked because my virus scanner decided to update.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Im sure things will be fine content wise. I just hope the servers are up to par and the performance bugs are fixed. When in game, I had no problems with anything aside from performance in town, and getting kicked because my virus scanner decided to update.

I wish I knew where your confidence was coming from as far as content is concerned.

I really want to like this game. I know I'm super negative on it currently, but I need to repeat that I genuinely want this to be awesome. But presently it's broken on a technical and a design level and there's practically no content there outside of a few overpowered mobs sprinkled about with no real rhyme or reason.

Teknoman

LaneDS said:
I wish I knew where your confidence was coming from as far as content is concerned.

I really want to like this game. I know I'm super negative on it currently, but I need to repeat that I genuinely want this to be awesome. But presently it's broken on a technical and a design level and there's practically no content there outside of a few overpowered mobs sprinkled about with no real rhyme or reason.

Well with multiple towns, the fact they dont have companies or a few other things they have planned implemented in beta, there should be more than enough to last people till the first update...unless you just blast through the content.

I mean even with the JP XI launch, wasnt there more than enough to do for starters, even without the 75 cap?

Jinko

Teknoman said:

I agree that the actual game does seem to run quite well and is quite polished, controls excluded :p, its just too bad the login proceess is such a mess.

I get the feeling SE tried to run before they could walk really, they should have either increased beta tester numbers and left the regions seperate or vise versa, doing both at once was not a good idea.

I have no worries as far as content goes either, much of that is being tested internally I would imagine and I doubt we will get the chance to explore Gridania or Ul'dah before launch. (which i can't say is a bad thing)

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Well with multiple towns, the fact they dont have companies or a few other things they have planned implemented in beta, there should be more than enough to last people till the first update...unless you just blast through the content.

I mean even with the JP XI launch, wasnt there more than enough to do for starters, even without the 75 cap?

Well, again, I hope you're right. I really do. Given all the other problems with beta though I have trouble sharing in that confidence.

So I got my friends beta account and I'm trying to update FFXIV, it's downloading in 5kb/s and it will be done i 76 hours. :lol

Is there another, faster way to update it?

Zomba13

Jinko said:
I agree that the actual game does seem to run quite well and is quite polished, controls excluded :p, its just too bad the login proceess is such a mess.

I get the feeling SE tried to run before they could walk really, they should have either increased beta tester numbers and left the regions seperate or vise versa, doing both at once was not a good idea.

I have no worries as far as content goes either, much of that is being tested internally I would imagine and I doubt we will get the chance to explore Gridania or Ul'dah before launch. (which i can't say is a bad thing)
No matter what I wont explore Gridania (that's the forest place right) until retail. I want that unspoiled.

LaneDS

IonicSnake said:
So I got my friends beta account and I'm trying to update FFXIV, it's downloading in 5kb/s and it will be done i 76 hours. :lol

I'm sure beta will be down for quite some time, if that's any consolation.

Corum

IonicSnake said:

Search for Gromph's posts on page 12 (I think?) of this thread, there should be a few direct downloads links of the entire games files.

Needs at the very least another 3 months in the oven, If it doesn't then it'll likely just fade away and appeal only to the FF faithful. Nothing particularly wrong with that though tbh how many FF fans have monster computers capable of running it?

I don't have a clue what they're trying to achieve with this beta either, if they want people to play and give feedback then they're failing spectacularly. If it's to test the servers... Well grats, having 70k+ people logging in at the same time for 4 or 5 different servers then something is gonna meltdown.

i really don't understand MMO Devs, they must all be completely insane.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Teknoman said:

FFXI was capped at 50 from its launch. Only took players two months without being told what the cap was to hit it. The first version update added basic shit like AH, sub job quest minimum level, HQ synths and DEX being added to Sneak Attack. Some NMs were added.

BTW, the beta test for JP PC back then was about five months. The requirements compared to the PS2 was considered very high back then as well.

History repeats itself? Sure hope not.

Also, Rank 5 missions (Shadow Lord) wasn't added until 4 months later. 5 months later, they upped the cap to 55 and added HNMs. Including the Beastmen HNMs. Yeah, real smart. Repop time? 16 minutes. XP Chains were finally added too. Also, Invis and Sneak. Ope, but they dropped off NMs making them quite difficult to get. Oh, BTW. All this time, players could be aggroed by magic aggro monsters for just having any MP at all.

SE sure made early FFXI pure hell.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Zomba13 said:
No matter what I wont explore Gridania (that's the forest place right) until retail. I want that unspoiled.

Same as me. I'm starting there.

IonicSnake said:
So I got my friends beta account and I'm trying to update FFXIV, it's downloading in 5kb/s and it will be done i 76 hours.

http://awk.cenobyte.org/ffxiv/

Download SquareEnix.rar, extract to your installation folder, and re-run the launcher.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

gillty

Banned
CcrooK said:
So I guess servers are still borked eh?
Well they were working great last night for about 2 hours before Shadowlord went down for maintaince so hopefully they can get them working again for a test this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom