• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see the numbers for the amount of people trying to log in to a given server at a given time. It also doesn't help that everyone is logging into the same few zones, as I remember that causing some issues in FFXI during certain peak times.

The amount of testers they added all at once still makes me think they're trying to break their servers. This whole "omg PROBLEMS in a BETA TEST?" attitude gets kind of :lol at times.

Maybe it seems I'm being overly optimistic. My point is I still think we don't have much of a grasp of the situation. Though if they want people to be positive about the game, they're not doing a great job only showing us this. Then again, that could just be attributed to SE's utter cluelessness when it comes to marketing.

I wouldn't mind, say, a December release. I'm just not sure they're really "struggling" as much as people think they are.

It could just mean they got what they needed from it and are working on the issues, knowing that it would be pointless to keep running it with all the issues.

They've added tens of thousands of testers (what's the number at now?) across a measly ten servers, and I'm betting a good portion of those people are trying to log in at any given time. I still think they're TRYING to break their servers so they can optimize the netcode and servers as much as possible. That way they know the servers will be bulletproof come release. They're dealing with way more people per server, confined to a very small chunk of zones, compared to anything they ever dealt with in FFXI. It's definitely intentional.

LowParry

I'm still optimistic. Hell, I'm there Day 1. Hopefully they plan for something on the weekend. Didn't get to play at all this time.

Salaadin

CcrooK said:
I'm still optimistic. Hell, I'm there Day 1. Hopefully they plan for something on the weekend. Didn't get to play at all this time.

WHat is the test schedule at? Was the only one announced so far the one they cancelled or is there one tomorrow yet?

I'm fairly certain this was asked before but how exactly do I equip skills?

I bought and equipped a Wand there today when I was on and it told me I could now use Thunder, Fire etc but couldn't figure out how to actually use them. Only just learnt about the loot system today as well. Was wondering why randomly I'd be told I got new items. They really need to improve that.

LowParry

Salaadin said:
WHat is the test schedule at? Was the only one announced so far the one they cancelled or is there one tomorrow yet?

The current test was suppose to into Thursday but that's been cancelled. Nothing afterwards so now we're on the sit and wait status again.

Zomba13

MiloFoxburr said:
I'm fairly certain this was asked before but how exactly do I equip skills?

I bought and equipped a Wand there today when I was on and it told me I could now use Thunder, Fire etc but couldn't figure out how to actually use them. Only just learnt about the loot system today as well. Was wondering why randomly I'd be told I got new items. They really need to improve that.

I can't remember the name of the option but it's like Actions and Traits or something
In there you'll see your ability loadout on one side and skiills from jobs on the other. Select the job you want from the drop down list and you'lll find yous skills there. Unequip the ones you don't want, equip what you do and there you go. Easy to mix and match too. Was running around as a gladiator with blizz last night.
Conj start with Fire, Water, Blizzard, Thunder, Stone and Aero at rank 1. You can only euip 2 unill rank 4 (1ap per rank up, the spells cost 3ap to equip)

Zomba13 said:
I can't remember the name of the option but it's like Actions and Traits or something
In there you'll see your ability loadout on one side and skiills from jobs on the other. Select the job you want from the drop down list and you'lll find yous skills there. Unequip the ones you don't want, equip what you do and there you go. Easy to mix and match too. Was running around as a gladiator with blizz last night.
Conj start with Fire, Water, Blizzard, Thunder, Stone and Aero at rank 1. You can only euip 2 unill rank 4 (1ap per rank up, the spells cost 3ap to equip)

Ah ok, I did find that but clicking the skills did nothing, was probably just lag. Thanks will try it again whenever the servers are back.

Duran

They really need to change it so that if you fail a levequest you can just go back to the Aetheryte and restart it again. One time a bug befell me and the monsters wouldn't even spawn and I would have to go all the way back to town to get the quest again, its just tedious and doesn't make any sense.

Ploid 3.0

Kintaro said:
FFXI was capped at 50 from its launch. Only took players two months without being told what the cap was to hit it. The first version update added basic shit like AH, sub job quest minimum level, HQ synths and DEX being added to Sneak Attack. Some NMs were added.

BTW, the beta test for JP PC back then was about five months. The requirements compared to the PS2 was considered very high back then as well.

History repeats itself? Sure hope not.

Also, Rank 5 missions (Shadow Lord) wasn't added until 4 months later. 5 months later, they upped the cap to 55 and added HNMs. Including the Beastmen HNMs. Yeah, real smart. Repop time? 16 minutes. XP Chains were finally added too. Also, Invis and Sneak. Ope, but they dropped off NMs making them quite difficult to get. Oh, BTW. All this time, players could be aggroed by magic aggro monsters for just having any MP at all.

SE sure made early FFXI pure hell.

Wow that's insane, I'm surprised people put up with all that. It's like old slavery stories. Early ffxi players were slaves! (don't take the comparison seriously gaf. Only the old story of hard times part)

Teknoman

Duran said:
They really need to change it so that if you fail a levequest you can just go back to the Aetheryte and restart it again. One time a bug befell me and the monsters wouldn't even spawn and I would have to go all the way back to town to get the quest again, its just tedious and doesn't make any sense.

Last night we died multiple times on a 5 star leve (heh 3 people + 5 star = really challenging), and still had the leve running for us when we returned to the homepoint. No need to restart or anything.

Maybe its because we were in a party? Then again, i'm sure there was one point where we all died.

Narag

Ploid 3.0 said:
Wow that's insane, I'm surprised people put up with all that. It's like old slavery stories. Early ffxi players were slaves! (don't take the comparison seriously gaf. Only the old story of hard times part)

I seem to recall stories of early JP players had to found the economy too. But to do so they had to grind gil dropping monsters just to buy vendor gear before they could advance further to level & repeat the process.

Jinko

Duran said:

If a mob spawns in a cave or underground and you are on the incorrect level it can sometimes not appear on the minimap, it will still show the general place on the main map.

I had this happen to me with a Bogy which was hiding underground and it took me 10 minutes of running around to figure it out.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
Last night we died multiple times on a 5 star leve (heh 3 people + 5 star = really challenging), and still had the leve running for us when we returned to the homepoint. No need to restart or anything.

Maybe its because we were in a party? Then again, i'm sure there was one point where we all died.

So long as the timer didn't expire, you won't fail it. The timer expiring or disconnecting from the game will fail the leve.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:

I was with MCX and I satrted a leve which we shared and I disconnected. MCX still had it (even though he hadn't taken it from the guild) and when I reconnected and rejoined the party I had failed the leve. I think it's a bug.

Jinko

Narag said:
I seem to recall stories of early JP players had to found the economy too. But to do so they had to grind gil dropping monsters just to buy vendor gear before they could advance further to level & repeat the process.

The same will be true of FF14, we will just be grinding levequests instead. :lol

Probably part the reason why SE have made them repeatable once every 2 days, it can't be easy making things fun after all these years.

If they don't give us an Auction house the game econemy is guna be harsh as hell, from what little time I have spent with the retainers they are kind of shit and time consuming.

I had loads of pieces of armour from various levequests but no idea how much to sell them for or even if it was worth the hassle, I can't imagine anyone running through 12 instanced marketwards in the hope of finding one item.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ploid 3.0 said:

:lol

Zomba13

Jinko said:
If they don't give us an Auction house the game econemy is guna be harsh as hell, from what little time I have spent with the retainers they are kind of shit and time consuming.
Pretty sure theres an AH in limsa. I've seen a picture of a place with the exact AH logo from FFXI. Don't know when that will go up though. Hopefully they have it in beta, I imagine a service like that would need a bit of testing and stress testing.

Teknoman

Wow...hopefully its not that much of a grind to get everything running in XIV at retail launch. No wonder some of the JP had a chip on their shoulder early on.

EDIT: Yeah the bazaar areas are probably just to not clog up normal city areas with tons of bazaar'd players or have places like "Rolanmart".

Gromph are you still editing videos? Because I had a short party combat clip and another of me doing a behest. Havent messed with the dats or anything yet.

Zomba13 said:
Pretty sure theres an AH in limsa. I've seen a picture of a place with the exact AH logo from FFXI. Don't know when that will go up though. Hopefully they have it in beta, I imagine a service like that would need a bit of testing and stress testing.
I too hope there is an AH, also SE should make an AH mobile app. Technology has advanced since FFXI's heyday, and so should the ways in which we can access content.

Teknoman

To add to what HappyBivouac was saying, you've got hundreds of people trying to log into the same limited city/area at the same time, so I guess thats to be expected. Not really a retail situation.

notworksafe

My understanding is that a lot of places just aren't playing it. Who knows though. To be honest, there really isn't much to report. Graphics are nice, game plays like an MMO. No point in those sites/mags bitching about server stuff yet.

Also, I'm not sure about this all being intentional either. Wouldn't the intention be to let people beat down the servers, then do the fixes and bring them back up? Doesn't sound intentional when they cancel large portions of the test two weeks in a row.

Teknoman

Anyone else remember a square enix interview saying the PC version would have higher quality assets than the PS3 version? Like higher quality textures and so forth? I cant find the link atm, but just want to see if i'm remembering correctly.

Salaadin

Teknoman said:
Close, but I think it was something said around the last vanafest.

This is the most I could find and it doesnt really say anything at all:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309

"Originally, thought to be a PS3 exclusive, Final Fantasy XIV will in fact be making an appearance on the PC. The developers delve into this a bit, mentioning Crystal Tools, a development platform that will also be used for Final Fantasy XIII and is designed to allow them to port more smoothly to multiple systems. In regards to the PC version, the game will utilize the most current version of Direct X that is out when beta testing begins. This goes for Operating System as well. Similarly, they do not specify Vista or Windows 7 as an operating system, saying again that it will depend on what is out at the time. For those of you looking to prep a new PC, Tanaka claims they are really looking to get on the cutting edge of technology with this installment. Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available."

Atrus

Gold Member
Narag said:

Starting an economy isn't too bad. We had to do the same in beta as well but there were plenty of NPC's that will provide ok equipment up to 50 although CP equip definitely helped.

You have to remember that drops like crab meat sold fairly decently, as did moat carp and silk threads. It doesn't take all that long before you can grind out enough gil for NPC items.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Coldsnap said:
and then the RMT control the economy
For awhile there, I was hugely rich due to RMT :lol

I sold certain items like SH+1 during the first RMT boom and had over 150 million. Then the prices crashed down some and I felt like a boss

Narag

Corran Horn said:
For awhile there, I was hugely rich due to RMT :lol

I sold certain items like SH+1 during the first RMT boom and had over 150 million. Then the prices crashed down some and I felt like a boss

I so wanted to sell all my gear at overinflated prices because I knew the bubble would eventually burst. I chickened out!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Narag said:
I so wanted to sell all my gear at overinflated prices because I knew the bubble would eventually burst. I chickened out!
It was great. Funded alot of my jobs like RNG to 75 plus got some kick ass gear for my one true love Ninja class. Too bad I was stuck at BLM or RDM to most stuff though and I could do those jobs naked just fine :lol

Chris R

My friend made tons of real life money selling gil he got from the fishing bots he setup back when the game was still pretty new here in NA :lol

Between three or four accounts he had fishing at Rabao and the provoke bot set at some NM I can't remember he made a shitload of real $$$

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
New update info:

We would like to take this opportunity to provide an explanation on why we had to cut the FINAL FANTASY Beta Test short on July 21, and the plans we have prepared for the next Beta Test.

During this recent test, the processing of each world was going smoothly. However, due to the increase in the number of testers, the process that is associated with all worlds experienced heavy loads. As a result, the heavy load caused issues during the login and area change processes.

We are happy to announce that we now have a rough idea of what is causing these issues and we are currently in the process of making the proper adjustments on the server structure, along with performing internal stress tests. Our current plans are to have the test prepared after July 24.

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience this issue may have caused on the testers and thank you for your continuous support in this matter.

rhfb said:
My friend made tons of real life money selling gil he got from the fishing bots he setup back when the game was still pretty new here in NA :lol

Between three or four accounts he had fishing at Rabao and the provoke bot set at some NM I can't remember he made a shitload of real $$$

I smell Argus. :p

notworksafe

Good on Square to keep people informed. Of course they just had to do it only moments after I called them out for not being transparent in another thread! :lol

Teknoman

34y5ylu.jpg

200qtnc.jpg

35bxq91.jpg

28sodag.jpg

124k85j.jpg

2d261z.jpg

w2fwjm.jpg

fcohmv.jpg

2crksir.jpg

or3uqp.jpg

8wjxn8.jpg

2d0kveu.jpg

2qnmb2x.jpg

50fd5i.jpg

1qph08.jpg

vfh5p5.jpg

2vhzsc3.jpg

2earuy0.jpg

2zye6h1.jpg

EDIT: Censor bars suck and I need to figure out how to do that cool blur/stained glass effect.

Teknoman

Thank you for someone finally calling out the whole "toon" thing. Sucks for dissing Pokemon.

EDIT: So does this mean no more player testing until the 24th, or after the 24th?

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
Thank you for someone finally calling out the whole "toon" thing. Sucks for dissing Pokemon.

EDIT: So does this mean no more player testing until the 24th, or after the 24th?

I'm nearly done with videos, need to censor more? :)

Gromph

Staff Member
Teknoman said:
1 more with me soloing a behest, and another thats fairly short, but features party combat.

btw i can host pics/videos.

Got near 400Gb of unused space.

LowParry

So as I see it, stress testing is the big factor so far when the downtime. I really hope they're doing more than just resolving that kind of issue. Such as control tweaks and client tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom