• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

hgplayer1

I dont usually read all the text when they post the new schedules so I'm not sure if this disclaimer is always there or not.

Log-in Capacity
During the initial stages of the beta test, the number of players allowed to be logged in at any given time will be limited, with capacity to gradually increase as adjustments are performed on server load. Should the maximum capacity already be reached when you attempt to log in, a message will appear indicating that the world is currently congested, and you will be asked to try again in a short while. At this time you will be placed on a waiting list in the order of attempted log-in time. To maintain your position on the waiting list, you must initiate the log-in procedure again within ten minutes of your first attempt.

Zomba13

HappyBivouac said:
So wait, you're not supposed to sit there at the queue screen, but rather just keep trying? Seems a bit silly...
Yeah especially as the only button there is a 'Cancel Login attempt' or something to that degree.

Speaking of ridiculous wordings, apparently "elemental resistances" actually means "elemental affinity" according to some post on BG a while ago. Whoops?

Teknoman

HappyBivouac said:
Speaking of ridiculous wordings, apparently "elemental resistances" actually means "elemental affinity" according to some post on BG a while ago. Whoops?

I thought it was a little of both? High fire = high fire damage and resistance?

EDIT: I need to go ahead and finish up Treasures of the main, but after that i'm up for anything (testing battle regimen, exploring random places, guildleves, behests, etc.)

/tell Teknoman Blade

Teknoman said:
I thought it was a little of both? High fire = high fire damage and resistance?

Right. "affinity" would suggest both. "Resistance" doesn't exactly imply that you'd do more elemental damage by raising it.

Teknoman

Nevermind, read that wrong.

EDIT: Beta report from Gamewatch:

The melee classes on the beta servers are mostly gladiators and pugilists, with the lancers being next in line in popularity. Archers are less popular since arrows are expensive for players just starting out, and the marauders, with their unwieldy axes, are rather sparse. The mage classes seem to have a balanced population, but since the crafting quests have been stopped for now, there’s not much to say about them.

Compared to other games on the market, it really appears like crafters will have a big presence in the game. There are many armor slots, so each crafting class will have its niche, and players will need these crafters to restore their equipment for them after it deteriorates to the point where its effectiveness begins to drop. There are guildleve recipes and recipes that players can discover on their own, but these recipes are still under wraps, so things that players can create are rather limited at the moment. For this reason, some recipes were released on the beta site to help alleviate the problem.

Due to server troubles, Square Enix has yet to fulfill their goal of successfully extending beta test times. Once the server troubles have died down, we’ll be bringing you more beta test play reports.

RuGalz

HappyBivouac said:
Taru have somewhat low MND, actually. They had INT and AGI I think.

Elvaan are STR and MND, and Galka I believe have the second highest MND.
WHAT ABOUT THE CHR STAT, YOU KNOW THE MOST IMPORTANT STAT IN THE GAME!?!?!

RuGalz

Teknoman said:
Where do we go to get a retainer again, or is it in the manual?
Theres an Elvaan female npc next to Baderon, you speak to her and choose your retainers race/sex/name, then you go to the bazaar area or w'e is called and summon him.

gillty

Banned
Teknoman said:
Where do we go to get a retainer again, or is it in the manual?
Go to the the bar in limsa, theres a women next to the story mission giver.

edit:
Jinko said:
After you complete Treasure of the main, you can talk to the woman next to Baderon.
you don't need to complete Treasure of the Main

Jinko

After you complete Treasure of the main, you can talk to the woman next to Baderon.

You can summon your retainer in the drowing wench btw, there are summoing bells dotted about they are a nightmare to spot tho.

Zomba13

I got a retainer during the first time I tested. A Mi'qote (is that right?) with pink hair and I named her Kittycat. Not put anything on her to sell or done anything with her yet as I really have nothing for her to sell or hold.

Jinko

desu said:
23kri53.jpg

Anyone got this? People in the forums got it as well but I havent seen a fix yet so I can't play once again ... sweet jesus Square....

Go to task manager, close all the versions of the updater and retry, it supposedly caused by having multiple instances of the updater running at the same time.

Teknoman

By the way, any lancers figure out the best distance between enemies to use skewer? Was trying to run through two at once to increase damage, but couldnt seem to line them up.

Also conjurers, it says the normal fire, blizzard, aero, etc. spells hit enemies within the area of effect...have any of you managed to hit more than one enemy at once?

hgplayer1

Ok Im kinda getting ready for tonight but my expectations are low.

I hate that there is no way to /sea for people. Most likely Ill run around solo unless I happen to run into one of you or you contact me.

Not sure if Im gonna grab the same leves again this time. Ill probably just kill and explore all night leveling up as many jobs as I can.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
By the way, any lancers figure out the best distance between enemies to use skewer? Was trying to run through two at once to increase damage, but couldnt seem to line them up.

Also conjurers, it says the normal fire, blizzard, aero, etc. spells hit enemies within the area of effect...have any of you managed to hit more than one enemy at once?
Yeah was doing it quite a bit last test when there were two enemies close. The AoE is kinda small and I think it only huts targets your party is engaged with (A dodo kept walking close to my targets and didn't get hit but from what I've seen of the AoE size it should have)

Haint

Hey guys, is there any way to copy the big ass 4+ GB torrent updates to a different/second computer without having to re-download that shit? I've been playing the game on a laptop and have it fully updated on there, but I want to move it to a desktop.

Khrno

MCX said:
That reminds me... BRD/NIN mazurka tanking was a hoot.

I do remember back in 2005, BRDs flailing Fafhogg in Aerys, my first days going there were rather chaotic and fun :lol

Reallink said:
Hey guys, is there any way to copy the big ass 4+ GB torrent updates to a different/second computer without having to re-download that shit? I've been playing the game on a laptop and have it fully updated on there, but I want to move it to a desktop.

USB memory? DVD? Share the folder over the network?

floppy8.gif

Tons of them?

Teknoman

Khrno said:
I do remember back in 2005, BRDs flailing Fafhogg in Aerys, my first days going there were rather chaotic and fun :lol

floppy8.gif

Tons of them?

Wow...I havent seen one of those in years :lol Oh and the only thing that worked for me was talking in shout for awhile. I just happened to run into Zomba, Gromph, and MCX on accident. Overheard them talking at the adventurers guild.

Haint

Khrno said:

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/floppy8.gif[/IMG

Tons of them?[/QUOTE]

My concerns were not knowing which files to copy, whether or not the torrent files installed after DL, and what road blocks I would run into there.

MCX

Banned
I'm all ready for tonight's beta. Vent's pretty lonely at the moment. Zomba: ready to continue exploring the beach/pirate cove? :D

hgplayer1

almost time for all of us to try to login all at the same time and crash the servers again!

matter of fact go ahead and start trying to sign in now! warm those servers up!

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Valru said:
use the exe in the OP (you dont need to put it anywhere particular just run it from desktop)
That works now...something sepcial about that vent file or just a different version?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Jesus this is annoying. I know this is a beta test...but eventually I would like to test something besides the login servers...

toneedo

Neo Member
Corran Horn said:
That works now...something sepcial about that vent file or just a different version?
im wondering this myself...and what does the "C" on everybody's name mean? I dont have that "C" on mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom