• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Discussion + Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nakazato said:
YAY GOT MY NEW CARD AND GOT A 2800 SEE YOU GUYS NEXT TEST DAY :D :D :D

Shadowlord right ??

What card?

Yes Shadowlord

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Nakazato said:
5750 1gb

btw I just DL the installer and it is slow as fuck is links in the oP for patches and updates ??

Download installer and Squareenix.rar form OP, install unrar to installation folder and launch.

After playing with the keyboard and mouse and then switch to controller you know right away that this game never was intended to be played with k/m. Funny how S-E chose the PC as main platform to do their console MMO. :p

Loving the game though. :D

Ronok

IonicSnake said:
After playing with the keyboard and mouse and then switch to controller you know right away that this game never was intended to be played with k/m. Funny how S-E chose the PC as main platform to do their console MMO. :p

Loving the game though. :D

Do you mention the mouse because you were actually using it, or just for the sake of it... Like with FFXI most pc players will probably end up kb only.

Teknoman

CcrooK said:
Tanking is like a melee class of its own. I think I'll try this Pugilist next. What was wrong wit lancer?

Edit: I take that back, trying a caster.

Nothing really, its just a personal thing of liking swords or martial arts more than spears :lol Of course i've always liked being a tank, so its between Gladiator and Pugilist for me.

I can also see Gladiator being split between tank, or just focusing on doing fast sword attacks with skills from other classes.

EDIT: S-E updated job images on the main site.

Ronok said:
Do you mention the mouse because you were actually using it, or just for the sake of it... Like with FFXI most pc players will probably end up kb only.

I used the mouse and I played FFXI for 3 years, the mouse felt exactly like in XI.

I played FFXI with a Dual Shock 2 on PC, the camera feel much better when you use the right analog stick.

Teknoman

Battle regimen seems easy:

Tell party members you're ready to do regimen (really you dont have to since it should automatically set a message that "someone" is setting up a regimen), activate battle regimen mode, input whatever attack you want to contribute, and when everyone has done so, I think it'll either auto-commence the regimen or someone will have to press a button.

Either way its more or less like Romancing Saga, where no matter what attacks are used in a certain order, it'll produce some kinda of combo effect and a buff/debuff.

EDIT: I really hope S-E adds a config option for adding the item use menu to the gamepad. Need to have fast access to potions and stuff, and its not handy to have to stop using the pad and switch to the mouse just for that...unless theres a shortcut i'm missing.

notworksafe

Ronok said:
Only because the mouse is garbage. If SQE would put in 5 minutes of work this wouldn't be the case.

LaneDS

For what it's worth, I've found pugilist to be pretty fun provided there's no lag. Lag makes the combat system terribly unfun as you cannot ever spend all of your stamina on moves. But when it's fluid, I dig it.

Jinko

LaneDS said:
Where does Treasures of the Main continue at level 10? The tavern?

Yea its a new quest you can pick it up from badreon, sisipu wants assistance again but i can't find here meeting spot.

Teknoman

You'd think he would contact you via linkpearl once you hit level 10 if thats was the case. Either way i'll check that out when its my turn again.

More shots:

16jcy1.jpg

335bmsi.jpg

14lip0p.jpg

qoefeb.jpg

2e2qe4o.jpg

ibw5ua.jpg

cosow.jpg

345zwhv.jpg

2ekpvde.jpg

357ezuu.jpg

2vta979.jpg

2saz8.jpg

2dcib9c.jpg

2hwig0o.jpg

pbtdd.jpg

4gkodz.jpg

rwuqzr.jpg

3346ddc.jpg

LaneDS

Jinko said:
Yea its a new quest you can pick it up from badreon, sisipu wants assistance again but i can't find here meeting spot.

Hm, no option to continue the quest from him. Rank 12 here too.

Jinko

LaneDS said:
Hm, no option to continue the quest from him. Rank 12 here too.

Quest is called Legends Adrift, can't really say more than that, deffinately got it off the guy in the drowning wench though.

Make sure you have completed the first one, and collected the reward.

EDIT: Finally found the mark she put on my map, you have to look at the map in the journal section.

LaneDS

Jinko said:
Quest is called Legends Adrift, can't really say more than that, deffinately got it off the guy in the drowning wench though.

Make sure you have completed the first one, and collected the reward.

EDIT: Finally found the mark she put on my map, you have to look at the map in the journal section.

I'm an idiot. I assumed it was based on physical level, and not your current job level. It's probably not that. Going to try grinding out to 10 on Pugilist, as I assume that's it.

Teknoman

So its based on job level then? Also I guess thats why some of the leves away from bearded rock are pretty challenging/have monsters in parties. They recommended rank 10 jobs...and for some reason I kept thinking rank 10 physical.

LaneDS

Teknoman said:
So its based on job level then? Also I guess thats why some of the leves away from bearded rock are pretty challenging/have monsters in parties. They recommended rank 10 jobs...and for some reason I kept thinking rank 10 physical.

I thought that too. I was doing those at pugilist rank 4 but it required a good amount of disengaging, waiting to get full life (boring), and then re-engaging. Once pugilist hits rank 6 and gets second wind (basically a 90-130HP heal every minute), all of those quests are a joke. The balance as it stands now is really, really questionable. Things don't con right (sometimes I'll kill something that cons red in a few hits and other times I'll have no shot of killing them, versus something like a green puk which is still really hard to kill) and then you've got classes like pugilist which go from a certain degree of difficulty to stupid easy just because of one skill. That might be intentional, but I think a gradual increase would be best. Balance is just too far across the board.

jersoc said:
what exactly is one suppose to do after you finish the whooping 3 god damn levequests?

Grind on wharf rats, lost ewes, sewer moles... or log out. It's pretty boring, unfortunately.

Teknoman

jersoc said:
what exactly is one suppose to do after you finish the whooping 3 god damn levequests?

• Explore
  • Find another camp area so you have access to more guildleves
  • Finish Treasures of the main story quest
  • Try to get into/make a party and get a feel for party mechanics
  • Try gathering type job guildleves
  • Hit level 10 with a job and try out the next story quest

Yeah I think the monster difficulty check system is busted right now. Sometimes the little circle wont pop up...but that might be due to lag.

Jinko

Yea they are class quest so I guess they are based on your class level not your physical level, just finished the quest and have to say the cutscenes in this game are top notch, so much better than FF11.

Atrus

Gold Member
Corran Horn said:
lol gilsellers already at it.

Need to powerlevel you char yet?
http://www.wow-leveler.com/ffxivpowerleveling.html

I don't see what the fun is in coming into a game with a high leveled character but no friends or social experiences built up along the way. I just can't imagine it.

It speaks more of some sort of inferiority complex where you want to bask in the glory of other people.

Grinding in FFXI was harsh, but there was an incredible amount of fun to be had as well since the auto-battle mechanic made it like sitting around the campfire talking about things while getting the feeling of accomplishment of moving your character in some direction.

FFXIV's battles seem a little too fast to type casually and battle at the same time.

Teknoman

Atrus said:
I don't see what the fun is in coming into a game with a high leveled character but no friends or social experiences built up along the way. I just can't imagine it.

It speaks more of some sort of inferiority complex where you want to bask in the glory of other people.

Grinding in FFXI was harsh, but there was an incredible amount of fun to be had as well since the auto-battle mechanic made it like sitting around the campfire talking about things while getting the feeling of accomplishment of moving your character in some direction.

FFXIV's battles seem a little too fast to type casually and battle at the same time.

True, but the battles are over with faster as well.

Kuraine

Neo Member
I grouped up with some random people today for a party. Having a Conjurer cast Stoneskin and Shock Spikes was pretty beneficial!

omgcrabbattle.jpg

We didn't actually kill this crab. Got it to half-health before it ravaged us with its manic spin attacks. They are no joke in XIV! We ended up killing aldgoats near Bone Valley, but it wasn't paying off exp-wise--versus soloing--and people kept dying.

Parties in XIV are gonna be intense though considering how much the enemies love to move. Party battles in general feel like such a frantic pace, but manageable.

Many times I found myself the victim of a 150+ dmg headbutt from a goat, only to have myself launched 50 feet back. I'd frantically keep my distance, hoping it would switch targets. Then, sneak back in to poke it a few times and build up 250 TP for my Second Wind (Pugilist self-heal).

chris-013

Physical rank 13, marauder 10, pugilist 6.
Marauder learn defender at rank 10, it's a very good boost to defense and hate.

I did the second main quest but the server stopped when I was in a hold up in the arcanist guild. :D

The story is very good, it seems my character will become a pirate and naviguate on the pirate boat !

Narag

Sitting at 12 physical, 6 archer, 6 marauder it seems. Only pushed to 12 today to put one some bronze mail I found in a chest.

Jinko

Managed to get to GLD 14, Physical 17, did a little video of one of the cutscenes from the second quest, will upload shortly.

Me, Gromph and Zomba had a nice little mole camp going up by Bloodshore camp, XP wasn't too bad.

Video

Chris R

Jinko said:
Managed to get to GLD 14, Physical 17, did a little video of one of the cutscenes from the second quest, will upload shortly.

Me, Gromph and Zomba had a nice little mole camp going up by Bloodshore camp, XP wasn't too bad.

Video
Nice video. What rig/settings are you using to get the constant 30fps? Also is there any form of UI customization in the game yet?

Khrno

Teknoman said:
Wow Gobbues look crazy in XIV. Also players will be able to chat in fights since monsters dont attack overwhelmingly fast.

I think the speed of fights at higher levels 40+ or maybe higher, will be faster and busier than say a merit party in FFXI, so I don't think there will be much room to chat during the fights themselves, unless someone is being lazy and just letting the stamina bar fill up before using the next skill.

Also is there any form of UI customization in the game yet?

You can move the chat, HP/MP/TP bar, radar, S/R, and target bar around.

You cannot move the 4 shortcut icons (which I found irrelevant and annoying to be there) on the bottom-right corner.

You cannot move the action bar, or at least I couldn't move it and it overlapped with my chat placement.

I didn't take any screenshot while fighting, weird enough, so missing the action and stamina bar in there, those 2 should be moveable as well.

Teknoman

I wonder what the texture settings are locked at for the beta client...

EDIT: What was that about finding other classes that havent been revealed yet in the beta dat files? Was it possible to do something like that in XI before a major expansion released?

carlo6529

I got a few questions about the guildleve quest system. When you accept a quest and you go off to complete it, do you go into an instance or is it in the real time world? Also, if it is in the world, what is preventing people from getting in the way of your quest?

Edit~ Thanks for the info guys.

gillty

Banned
carlo6529 said:
I got a few questions about the guildleve quest system. When you accept a quest and you go off to complete it, do you go into an instance or is it in the real time world? Also, if it is in the world, what is preventing people from getting in the way of your quest?
The mobs are instanced in the actual world.

Teknoman

carlo6529 said:

Real world, and they spawn monsters just for you / your party.

EDIT: Has S-E ever mentioned that armor/weapons are supposed to scale down? I'm not sure if being able to equip something before you hit that level is intentional or a glitch in the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom